Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Severe Winter Weather: ESSENTIAL PREPARATIONS, TRAVEL ADVICE, DRIVING TIPS & CLOSURES

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,897 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

I am preparing, but thinking this may not be as apocalyptic as some think it will be.

Doesn't matter. Prepping is good. So if it is very bad I'm sorted anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 292 ✭✭minibear

Why cant you run a solid fuel stove without electricity?
    We have a back boiler and I believe it's dangerous if the power goes when the stove is lit. Whenever we've had power cuts we didn't risk lighting the stove. Having the gas heater as backup anyway I'd rather not take any chances. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

After Ophelia some of my neighbors who were off power for nearly a week learned the lesson that a decent battery powered radio and a spare set of batteries is a good idea.

Mains powered radios won't cut it and most internet radios aren't going to work with no power. A lot of phones will still be able to access internet radio but in our area most of the wireless towers went off for the week also. A radio on a phone isn't that great to listen to as a family and you may want to save the battery anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭SeaBreezes

I am preparing, but thinking this may not be as apocalyptic as some think it will be.

I've been prepping but all the *good* stuff (wine and chocolate) will be gone by Sunday! (Sigh)

• Registered Users Posts: 19,473 ✭✭✭✭Super-Rush

Same here and it's the right way to think.

It won't do any harm getting a bit extra in the food and fuel shopping this weekend.

It is gonna be cold and it will snow for some, and the levels will be differen from location to location. I don't consider myself an expert in model reading or forecasting, but you cannot ignore what is being forecast by people who understand what's happening at the moment.

It might not be so bad for John Q Boardsie living in the West but for people higher up in Wicklow they will experience disruption that will lead to being housebound for days.

I also can ever understand why people like to mock serious weather enthusiasts. What can be pre forecasted here, could save lives and probably has, Storm Darwin comes to mind. Its just childish bull**** that you would see in secondary school.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭GoneHome

SeaBreezes wrote: »
    I've been prepping but all the *good* stuff (wine and chocolate) will be gone by Sunday! (Sigh)

I was the same but stocked up on supplies again today

GoneHome wrote: »
    I was the same but stocked up on supplies again today

Doing another run Sunday :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,260 ✭✭✭greasepalm

bloody hell bare presses here and not a lot in the freezer,yet to be decided?

on the funny side remember all those people laughing at the jml snuggie

https://www.google.ie/search?q=jml+snuggie+blanket&dcr=0&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwips8eTuL_ZAhUKWsAKHXQrCsAQ_AUICigB&biw=1280&bih=667#imgrc=UkrzPM1oWrE3rM:

• Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭davidsr20

New prep get an umbrella for the weekend rain coming

• Registered Users Posts: 2,025 ✭✭✭Row

Here is a helpful clip that could take someone out of a spot if caught up in snow.
    All ya need is a length of rope the boot...:)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NpJKU-zO4hk

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,639 ✭✭✭Zoney

minibear wrote: »
    We have a back boiler and I believe it's dangerous if the power goes when the stove is lit. Whenever we've had power cuts we didn't risk lighting the stove. Having the gas heater as backup anyway I'd rather not take any chances. :)

If it's plumbed properly it should be fine. Ours releases the heat even without the pump switched on, naturally through upstairs radiators, which is fine in very cold weather.

In fact with ours, the pump won't activate even if switched on, until the water gets pretty hot (upstairs warmed up). Which even on only slightly chilly autumn/spring evenings needs quite a big fire.

On a very cold day, unless you light a veritable bonfire, then the back boiler will only just about keep the upstairs radiators warm, no need to worry about pump. Unless your plumbing is messed up.

Driving the central heating fully via back boiler needs quite good coal in our experience, wood and briquettes struggle to heat the back boiler enough to get the pump to operate for the downstairs radiators

• Registered Users Posts: 4,475 ✭✭✭An Ri rua

Jake1 wrote: »
    Thanks for starting this thread UFA :)

I have questions myself.
    Was wondering, should I leave taps dribbling over night, or would leaving the heating on suffice, to protect any pipes from freezing?

Also, the tank in attic, is there anything, I should do there, to protect it?

BBQ briquettes, is a brilliant idea, Super Rush.

Thanks all

In 2010, I was in a rented house in Laois. The landlord was a bit of a drinker. A few neighbours had passed derogatory comments about his house and condition to me before Dec 2010 came along.
    By only sparsely using oil to protect the heating system (I was very stuck for money) but by running a paraffin heater (Inverter 3.2kW) in the hallway of the bungalow, and running an open fire, I was one of TWO houses out of 80 whose water pipes did not freeze. Civil Defence had to help the rest. I simply opened the attic hatch a small bit and let that highly insulated space warm a little.

So if you're highly insulated up there, get a frost lamp or just open the hatch a crack for a few days.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,475 ✭✭✭An Ri rua

Row wrote: »
    Here is a helpful clip that could take someone out of a spot if caught up in snow.
    All ya need is a length of rope the boot...:)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NpJKU-zO4hk

This deserves far more thanks folks. A bit of rope is a always handy in your boot.

And a shovel. And cable ties .....

Seriously though, possibly the best tip here. So where's the thanks?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,426 ✭✭✭ZX7R

Zoney wrote: »
    If it's plumbed properly it should be fine. Ours releases the heat even without the pump switched on, naturally through upstairs radiators, which is fine in very cold weather.

In fact with ours, the pump won't activate even if switched on, until the water gets pretty hot (upstairs warmed up). Which even on only slightly chilly autumn/spring evenings needs quite a big fire.

On a very cold day, unless you light a veritable bonfire, then the back boiler will only just about keep the upstairs radiators warm, no need to worry about pump. Unless your plumbing is messed up.

Driving the central heating fully via back boiler needs quite good coal in our experience, wood and briquettes struggle to heat the back boiler enough to get the pump to operate for the downstairs radiators

Probably because the pump is linked to a thermostat and set very high by the sounds of it or your thermostat is to far away from the pump. 40c is the recommended tempature for a solid fuel with a back boiler.
    Seems strange to me the rads downstairs don't heat up, mine did that when I installed mine first, there was a block in the system, had to flush it

My list (from 2010 and Ophelia)
    Baby wipes, great if water limited for cleaning house and people
    Bottled water
    Radio with batteries
    Gas tank and ring (gas to my cooker works when temps mild but too cold and gas contracts and might not work)
    Lagging for pipes
    Water store for flushing toilets (fill the bath if water/elec out)
    Battery operated lanterns
    Hot water bottles (great for defrosting pipes)

I do need advice for my hen tho, she's outside in a wooden coop. Gonna insulate it tomorrow with cardboard and paper. No elec so heat lamp not an option any suggestions?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,238 ✭✭✭Deank

SeaBreezes wrote: »
    My list (from 2010 and Ophelia)
    Baby wipes, great if water limited for cleaning house and people
    Bottled water
    Radio with batteries
    Gas tank and ring (gas to my cooker works when temps mild but too cold and gas contracts and might not work)
    Lagging for pipes
    Water store for flushing toilets (fill the bath if water/elec out)
    Battery operated lanterns
    Hot water bottles (great for defrosting pipes)

I do need advice for my hen tho, she's outside in a wooden coop. Gonna insulate it tomorrow with cardboard and paper. No elec so heat lamp not an option any suggestions?

Sorry :D
    Sunday-roast-chicken2-633x326.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

OmegaGene wrote: »
    Cook the food and bag it and freeze it in the deep freezer
    Camping gas stove to heat it up

The deep freeze won't work!

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 6,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭Irish Steve

Where to start? Most of the essentials have already been mentioned, but the emphasis I would make is related to driving.

You may have the most wonderful vehicle in the world that can go up or down Mount Everest in 2 Ft of Snow on a layer of ice, but if some other driver in front of you can't cope with the conditions, and blocks the road, and then other drivers behind you manage to do the same, if you've not got some very good outer garments that will keep the cold and wet out, you could be in serious problems, even more so if you can't keep the engine running to provide some warmth in the vehicle, and depending on how long your journey is, the thoughts of needing extra clothing may not have been considered, even a short school run can go wrong in some situations, and if there's a lot of snow falling in windy conditions, you won't get far without the right levels of protection. Blizzard conditions in below zero temperatures with significant wind chill are a killer, very quickly.

And yes, I am being blunt and alarmist for good reasons, no one should die because they failed to take adequate precautions when starting even a short journey, but every time there are extreme weather conditions, lives are lost because of the failures to prepare adequately.

Footwear that is suitable for the conditions needs to be in the vehicle, in case you do actually have to leave it due to circumstances beyond your direct control.

Headwear is essential in low temperatures, at minimum a built in hood in a jacket, but a decent weight proper hat, or similar is much more appropriate. a decent scarf or similar to add extra neck protection is also no bad thing. Gloves are also a good idea.

A few snacks and a bottle or two of non alcoholic drink can be important if you're on a longer journey, just in case of delays, partly because a hot car (which is understandable) is a contributor to dehydration. A thermos flask with a hot drink is even better.

If driving out of town at night, a good torch may be essential, especially if you have to leave the vehicle.

Shore, if it was easy, everybody would be doin it.😁

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

Deank wrote: »

Do ye know nothing? ;)

A hen lays eggs but
    A chicken makes a nice dinner

You can roast the latter
    But you will have to boil the buggery out of the first.

SeaBreezes - bring your hen in - sounds like she could do with a bit of company and you dont want her ending up as a snack for an opportunistic fox ... :D

• Registered Users Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

The gritter truck was out tonight in Castletroy, Limerick spraying either salt or grit on the roads.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,238 ✭✭✭Deank

gozunda wrote: »
    Do ye know nothing? ;)

A hen lays eggs but
    A chicken makes a nice dinner

You can roast the latter
    But you will have to boil the buggery out of the first.

SeaBreezes - bring your hen in - sounds like she could do with a bit of company and you dont want her ending up as a snack for a opportunistic fox ... :D

Who knew :pac:

Deank wrote: »

LOL poor hen!! Not an option, unless the cold REALLY digs in...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,333 ✭✭✭Saganist

YFlyer wrote: »
    The gritter truck was out tonight in Castletroy, Limerick spraying either salt or grit on the roads.

Seen one gritting the N2 today.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,108 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

Hope they also do the footpaths.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,777 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

Also, I'm a scaredy cat driving on a bit of frost so any ice/snow is going to a challenge. I usually hold my breathe and close my eyes on the way down

Please stay off the roads if the weather turns bad.

If issue with water or heating, go to the local gym or college for a shower. I have University of Limerick for my free shower :)

• Registered Users Posts: 16,653 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

It might be worth posting this again:

How to tackle driving in the snow

"Wear comfortable and dry footwear
    Accelerate gently, use low revs and change up to a higher gear as quickly as possible
    Move off in second gear as this will help reduce wheel slip - some cars have a winter mode, which does the same job – so to check whether your car has this function in the vehicle’s handbook

Get your speed right and maintain safe stopping distances between you and the car in front, leaving as much as 10 times the normal recommended gap
    Prepare for an uphill by leaving plenty of room in front so you can maintain a constant speed without the need for changing gear

Use a low gear for going downhill and try to avoid braking unless necessary, make sure you leave plenty of space between you and the car in front

When approaching a bend, brake before you actually start to turn the steering wheel. If your car does lose grip try not to panic; the key thing is to take your foot off the accelerator and make sure that your wheels are pointing in the direction you want to go in

If you do encounter a skid, steer gently into it - for example, if the rear of the car is sliding to the right, steer to the right. Do not take your hands off the steering wheel or stamp your foot on the brakes

When driving in heavy snow, make sure that you use your dipped headlights. Relying on daytime running lights is not enough, because they don’t always put lights on the back of your car.

If visibility drops below a 100m, put your fog lights on. But remember to turn them off when the visibility improves.

If the road has not been gritted, be wary of driving in the wheeltracks or other vehicles as compressed snow is likely to be more icy than fresh snow

Controls such as the brakes, as well as the steering, accelerator and even gear changing should be operated smoothly and slowly

Sunglasses can help to reduce the glare of low winter sun on the snow
    Keep your speed down and allow more time to stop and steer

Finally, it’s important to think about the environment that you’re driving in, especially microclimates that might appear on the road. These are areas that perhaps the sun hasn’t got to, which could stay icy when the rest of the road has thawed. Bridges are a good example. They’re normally the first to freeze and the last to thaw. So be aware of that when you’re driving in open spaces. "

igCorcaigh wrote: »
    Hope they also do the footpaths.

Hardly. They gritted the roads on Sunday the 11th. The paths weren't. Footpaths and cycle lanes were like ice rings on the Monday morning.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,108 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

Hardly. They gritted the roads on Sunday the 11th. The paths weren't. Footpaths and cycle lanes were like ice rings on the Monday morning.

Crazy. If paths aren't gritted, pedestrians will walk on the road. Accident waiting to happen.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,678 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

igCorcaigh wrote: »
    Crazy. If paths aren't gritted, pedestrians will walk on the road. Accident waiting to happen.

Same happened here on Sarsfield Road. Paths werent gritted, road was. People were slipping everywhere

Advertisement