Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are there too many weather warnings?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭irishrover99

I'm not sure how many days we have had weather warnings from Met Eireann this winter but it seems excessive - this could create a loss of impact for the general public in case of a v dangerous event. I'd note how many ignore he warnings in Galway to have their cars submerged.

Now Met Eireann seem to be embarrassing themselves on the international stage with the obsessive naming of storms.

https://m.independent.ie/entertainment/banter/trending/what-next-naming-raindrops-its-ridiculous-channel-4-weather-presenter-criticises-met-eireann-for-naming-storm-fionn-36499250.html

Can a stop be put to this attention seeking ??

Yes Prophet Max.

Proceed and we shall follow

• Registered Users Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

Dickerty wrote: »
    You better be prepared for a storm of angry comments, Max!

He's a prophet..fully expects it!

• Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭talkabout

I'm not sure how many days we have had weather warnings from Met Eireann this winter but it seems excessive - this could create a loss of impact for the general public in case of a v dangerous event. I'd note how many ignore he warnings in Galway to have their cars submerged.

Now Met Eireann seem to be embarrassing themselves on the international stage with the obsessive naming of storms.

https://m.independent.ie/entertainment/banter/trending/what-next-naming-raindrops-its-ridiculous-channel-4-weather-presenter-criticises-met-eireann-for-naming-storm-fionn-36499250.html

I tend to agree with Liam on this one. A warning was merited, but not a named storm imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,944 ✭✭✭✭Villain

They have criteria to follow, that criteria was met yesterday with Gusts over 110kmh so they were correct, they need to be consistent or there is no point having criteria.

As I said to Liam on Twitter, the system could and should be reviewed but based on the system in place Met Eireann were 100% correct

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,741 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Mod Note: Merged the new and existing thread. No need for two threads on the same page on the same topic!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,114 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

The criteria was met for a storm to be named, however a specific low pressure system wasn't named, simply a period of wind. It was very Gusty here in West Clare for a time, more so than many named storms. However it begs the question of should it we only name a low pressure system, or any period of wind exceeding criteria.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,386 ✭✭✭irishgeo

It's getting out of hand. The 3 yesterday were a joke it going to snow and then brought be cold and icy. If it's cold enough for snow. It's pretty obvious it's going to be icy. The wind wasn't anything spectacular either. A yellow is just normal winter weather. I honestly think we should get rid of yellow and just have orange and red.

Perhaps we could introduce a green colour to say everything is OK.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Was listening to the Carlow weather chap on Pat Kenny's programme this morning and he was also a bit sceptical about the way warnings are issued.

Was listening to the Carlow weather chap on Pat Kenny's programme this morning and he was also a bit sceptical about the way warnings are issued.

That was me and yes I think they need to be reviewed, I think Yellow might not be needed tbh.

irishgeo wrote: »
    It's getting out of hand. The 3 yesterday were a joke it going to snow and then brought be cold and icy. If it's cold enough for snow. It's pretty obvious it's going to be icy. The wind wasn't anything spectacular either. A yellow is just normal winter weather. I honestly think we should get rid of yellow and just have orange and red.

They already have green actually http://www.met.ie/nationalwarnings/warnings-explained.asp but I would agree that Yellow could go.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭Kamili

Villain wrote: »
    That was me and yes I think they need to be reviewed, I think Yellow might not be needed tbh.

It was a great piece, was trying to find it on the podcast.

I think the issue is that when they do issue a weather warning, it seems very random on what colour it is, then afterwards it looks to be either too low a warning, or too high.

Other issue is the storm namings, its wind, its blows, and rain falls and makes things wet. Happens every winter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,520 ✭✭✭nagdefy

I presume the current weather warning system was a Euro initiative? Villain, Sryan, JCX or some posters msy know.

If you look at all of Europe most of the continent is under warnings so i'd imagine most countries are feeling the system needs adjustment. The European map being full of colour warnings is the norm this time of year since the system was first introduced.

At present Met Eireann are simply playing by the European rules.

EU-180117.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭piuswal

irishgeo wrote: »

If you look at the Meteoalarmmap you will see green more often than not. Yes, green is there for ok.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭piuswal

nagdefy wrote: »
    I presume the current weather warning system was a Euro initiative? Villain, Sryan, JCX or some posters msy know.

If you look at all of Europe most of the continent is under warnings so i'd imagine most countries are feeling the system needs adjustment. The European map being full of colour warnings is the norm this time of year since the system was first introduced.

At present Met Eireann are simply playing by the European rules.

EU-180117.gif

Prior to the MeteoAlarm colour coded, 4 colours, being introduced, all countries had their own warning systems.

With beyond borders travel becoming more and more common it was felt that a system was needed that most if not all people could understand.

This was the origin of the MeteoAlarm system.

The biggest challenge facing Met Eireann is to change from a numerical threshold system to an impact based system

Gerry Murphy gave a talk on this subject at the Met Éireann symposium on "Future Weather, Future Challenges" on December 12th 2017

see;

http://www.met.ie/news/display.asp?ID=490, item 12.

This is a major undertaking for a small organisation but they are going ahead with it.

We had a stimulating and thought-provoking line-up of speakers for our "Future Weather, Future Challenges" symposium. They represented a diverse range of viewpoints as they explored the varying ways that the weather and climate can impact on individuals and organisations across Ireland. The conference brochure and a complete selection of slides from the day are available below:

Conference Brochure

1. Opening Welcome

2. Session 1: Climate Change. Convener: Laura Burke

3. Mary Robinson - Seeing future weather through the lens of climate justice

4. Séamus Walsh - Ireland's Changing Climate in a Warming World

5. Prof. John Fitzgerald - Tackling Climate Change and its Consequences

6. Session 2: The Future of Forecasting the Weather. Convener: Evelyn Cusack

7. Prof. Peter Lynch - The Emergence of Computer Weather Forecasting: an Irish Perspective

8. Prof. Dame Julia Slingo - Forewarned is Forearmed: Prediction across scales - from the global to the local, from tomorrow’s weather to long-term climate change

9. Dr. Sarah O'Reilly - Predicting Ireland’s Weather: Meeting the future weather challenge

10. Eoin Moran - Making Ireland Weather and Climate Prepared

11. Session 3: Response to Weather Emergencies. Convener: Seán Hogan

12. Gerry Murphy - Impact based forecasting – A partnership between science and society

13. Derek Hynes - Managing Electricity Networks During Extreme Weather Events

14. Gerald Fleming - Weather and Emergency Management – an evolving challenge

15. Closing

• Registered Users Posts: 1,040 ✭✭✭Longing

Channel 4 weatherman blasts Met Éireann for naming 'Storm Fionn'

https://www.joe.ie/news/channel-4-weatherman-blasts-met-eireann-naming-storm-fionn-612914

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16 Jerry Mac

Longing wrote: »
    Channel 4 weatherman blasts Met Éireann for naming 'Storm Fionn'

First I heard of storm Fionn was on Boards not met eireann.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,886 ✭✭✭✭Roger_007

Jerry Mac wrote: »
    First I heard of storm Fionn was on Boards not met eireann.
    Fionn was a shy retiring type. He came and went practically unnoticed. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 191 ✭✭Casualsingby

Red warning warranted for areas yes but Blanket warnings for today wrong, Dublin city centre just slush most melted temple bar hardly a red. Should introduce the Met office style over warnings with bubbles instead of blanket warnings. It's just a bit slush.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,689 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Red warning warranted for areas yes but Blanket warnings for today wrong, Dublin city centre just slush most melted temple bar hardly a red. Should introduce the Met office style over warnings with bubbles instead of blanket warnings. It's just a bit slush.

You know what you are right, they should give street by street warnings.

its clearly the only way.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

Warnings are based on guidance, you are in the warm core of a large city. Dublin is bigger than the area between the canals.

In North county there are 15cm in places, in Baldonnel there were 16cm by 9am and presumably significantly more now.

Red warning absolutely warranted based on the numbers. Long term, switching to impact based criteria would give a different outcome but in this case it's totally justified and sensible.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 455 ✭✭jasper100

Red warning was completely OTT. A bit of snowy and a bit cold but nothing exceptional, extreme or severe.

Totally overhyped event. There is another event tomorrow which probably does warrant a red warning, but if the boy keeps crying wolf people won’t pay heed of them anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,721 ✭✭✭✭CianRyan

And I presume everyone that works there lives there too?
    May be fine there but the staff will have to get through dangerous conditions to get there and home.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,148 ✭✭✭amadangomor

jasper100 wrote: »
    Red warning was completely OTT. A bit of snowy and a bit cold but nothing exceptional, extreme or severe.

Totally overhyped event. There is another event tomorrow which probably does warrant a red warning, but if the boy keeps crying wolf people won’t pay heed of them anymore.

Yawn

• Registered Users Posts: 24,292 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

all the roads around here in North County Dublin were near unpassable without all wheel drive..

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 7,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭pistolpetes11

The 25CM of snow I got says you are wrong :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 858 ✭✭✭Vudgie

As I understand it the red warning is for what is coming and not what has occurred so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 348 ✭✭SarahS2013

I'm 2.5km from Temple Bar (Beggars Bush area) and it's still thick on the ground here. Zero thaw here. I tried to drive in it earlier and had to turn back. You're in a high traffic area, of course it's melted there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 191 ✭✭Casualsingby

sdanseo wrote: »
    Warnings are based on guidance, you are in the warm core of a large city. Dublin is bigger than the area between the canals.

In North county there are 15cm in places, in Baldonnel there were 16cm by 9am and presumably significantly more now.

Red warning absolutely warranted based on the numbers. Long term, switching to impact based criteria would give a different outcome but in this case it's totally justified and sensible.

Red warning for City Centre and its a bit of slush. I'm aware other areas have red conditions but city centre isn't close, it's a bit of slush. Met Éireann concentrate on Dublin most as it's the highest densely populated area of the county. A red warning isn't Warranted for the city centre it's a bit of slush.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,987 ✭✭✭Artane2002

There's more to Dublin than the city centre. The red warning didn't say 'red warning for Dublin City Centre only'

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

Agree re. the crying wolf and long term the criteria do need to be adjusted. I do worry that if we had a significantly more dangerous event (a 1947 or a Debbie) maybe notice might not be taken.

But at the same time by anymeasure, Thursday night's event looks like a red warning. UKMO's prediction of yellow for Devon and Cornwall is way too low and will probably be upgraded.

But based on the current requirments MÉ were absolutely correct in their judgement, just like during Ophelia. Three lives lost and a million people without power then, even with the country shut down. We'd do well not to lose sight of that and what may have happened if the red warning had not issued. People NEED to look further than their back yard.

Advertisement