Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

App developer

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭Kenny Logins

danbrosnan wrote: »
    If you sell online, you'll have money coming into your PayPal account and it can take a day or two to transfer to your bank for spending locally.

Thanks Kenny do you understand what I mean?

Yeah, but I don't PayPal would work in this situation. What would happen if you started a dispute because you didn't enjoy the meal?

• Registered Users Posts: 900 ✭✭✭danbrosnan

GarIT wrote: »
    Paypal already provides the code to include paypal in your website for free you just need to choose to do it. Any business could also accept paypal payments using a pc or smartphone.

So you need to have something that is more convenient than the customer typing in the company email address.

An experienced app developer will probably cost you 60k-80k+ per year, and an app developer for both Android and iPhone will probably want 100k+ per year.

There's also the material cost, hardware for development, most developers don't want to work on a POS pc so you probably need 2k for something decent, and you need phones with every different os version for testing, that means probably at least 5 iphones and 10 Androids.

So how much cash do you have that you're willing to put up?

I not trying to sell a platform to sell its just a service, a service that provides a way of using your paypal funds instantly

Yeah, but I don't PayPal would work in this situation. What would happen if you started a dispute because you didn't enjoy the meal?

The dispute would be with the take away not with the payment!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭GarIT

I not trying to sell a platform to sell its just a service, a service that provides a way of using your paypal funds instantly

I didn't say you were. And that doesn't change the cost to make it. How much are you willing to spend?

I assume the business would have to consent to receiving payments this way? Why don't they just use paypal if they wanted to do that?

How would you market this to a business? Explain to me why I would chose your service over paypal if I wanted to receive a paypal payment.

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭Alerium

The Revolut card is instataneous. Problem solved (already)!

Here you go: https://www.revolut.com/ie/

• Advertisement

Alerium wrote: »
    The Revolut card is instataneous. Problem solved (already)!

Here you go: https://www.revolut.com/ie/

No it doesn't solve the problem! I want to get a take away using my paypal account!

GarIT wrote: »
    I didn't say you were. And that doesn't change the cost to make it. How much are you willing to spend?

I assume the business would have to consent to receiving payments this way? Why don't they just use paypal if they wanted to do that?

How would you market this to a business? Explain to me why I would chose your service over paypal if I wanted to receive a paypal payment.

I explained this already! They won't use paypal because of the fees but for example this weekend I am short on cash but I have made money through online sales but I can't use it! I won't see the money in my bank until tuesday the earliest! I am not alone with this problem, the customer would pay extra to use there paypal! I am certain of that, the businesses want straight cash or debit card! A very simple service that allows you to use your funds in your paypal account instantly while charging a fee

Another thread on this topic!

https://touch.boards.ie/thread/2056081010

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭Alerium

No it doesn't solve the problem! I want to get a take away using my paypal account!

Transfer money from your PayPal to the Revolut. It's instantaneous.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,157 ✭✭✭srsly78

Another thread on this topic!

https://touch.boards.ie/thread/2056081010

The bit you don't get is retailers choose not to use paypal because it costs a fortune.

Is your idea really "paypal for paypal"?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭14ned

srsly78 wrote: »
    The bit you don't get is retailers choose not to use paypal because it costs a fortune.

Is your idea really "paypal for paypal"?

This, and ten million times over.

Payment systems are a major expense for a business. There is a hefty standing charge whether you process payments or not. There is a percentage fee, and usually a fixed fee on top. Plus you need to deal with chargebacks, fraud, and a long list of issues. They're a pain. The only thing worse is processing cash.

This is why Paypal don't bother offering a debit card in Europe despite doing so elsewhere in the world. No profit in it.

Similarly, the OP's idea, for any business to accept it at all, would need to appear as a debit card transaction. And that comes with all the fees and charges just mentioned.

Now, don't get me wrong: the Chinese find our payments system utterly retrograde, and they are right. The fact it takes more than a few seconds to transfer money, and it costs anything more than a few cent, makes zero sense. In China they just IM money between people, it's done within seconds and for virtually no fee.

And that's the future. But we'll need to get rid of the obsolete banks and the middlemen leeching off of all trade first. And that'll take a few decades more yet, though the EU commission is actively working on it.

Niall

• Registered Users Posts: 11,262 ✭✭✭✭jester77

So you basically want to setup an Irish Lieferando or Deliveroo. Is there not already something like that in Ireland, would be very surprised if there isn't.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,462 Mod ✭✭✭✭Axwell

jester77 wrote: »
    So you basically want to setup an Irish Lieferando or Deliveroo. Is there not already something like that in Ireland, would be very surprised if there isn't.

He doesnt want to setup another Deliveroo...he is only concerned with being able to pay for food or other items with Paypal, most of these services don't allow you to pay using paypal, it has to be by credit/debit card. His point being he has money sitting there on his Paypal account he wants to use to pay for it, it would take up to 2 days to transfer the money first otherwise. Companies such as deliveroo etc dont accept paypal in these cases as of the fees per transaction.

As someone else pointed out above the solution to the problem is a Revolut card. Transfer money from paypal to your Revolut card and use that card as the one attached to your Deliveroo account or Dominos or whatever else.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭Kenny Logins

Alerium wrote: »
    Transfer money from your PayPal to the Revolut. It's instantaneous.

Good to know, thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,758 ✭✭✭Pelvis

If the only money you have available to you is what's in your PayPal account then tbh you have bigger problems to worry about.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,041 ✭✭✭Talisman

If you want to pursue the idea then you should look into how Plynk operated and learn from their mistakes.

Pelvis wrote: »
    If the only money you have available to you is what's in your PayPal account then tbh you have bigger problems to worry about.

That's just nonsense, it's not that I don't have money it's what I feel I should be able to do, I take in money through paypal why can't I spend it?

Downloaded Revolut and still I cant transfer funds from paypal! Only options are google pay and bank draft!

That's just nonsense, it's not that I don't have money it's what I feel I should be able to do, I take in money through paypal why can't I spend it?
    You can spend it, on anything that accepts PayPal, or alternatively transfer it to your bank account.

Your idea is predicated on a scenario where you want to buy a take away but only have your money in your PayPal account. But the problem is no one only has money in their PayPal account, everyone has one or more of cash, debit, or credit card.

Your idea is a solution to a problem that doesn't exist.

Pelvis wrote: »
    You can spend it, on anything that accepts PayPal, or alternatively transfer it to your bank account.

Your idea is predicated on a scenario where you want to buy a take away but only have your money in your PayPal account. But the problem is no one only has money in their PayPal account, everyone has one or more of cash, debit, or credit card.

Your idea is a solution to a problem that doesn't exist.

I disagree with you, I completely deal with ebay just like anyone that sells on ebay, paypal has a literary hundreds of thousand of accounts in ireland alone, I believe the problem exists I have done some research and the problem is with the businesses not the consumers, I belive people.would use a service that provides them a way of using there paypal funds!

• Advertisement

I disagree with you, I completely deal with ebay just like anyone that sells on ebay, paypal has a literary hundreds of thousand of accounts in ireland alone, I believe the problem exists I have done some research and the problem is with the businesses not the consumers, I belive people.would use a service that provides them a way of using there paypal funds!
    They can already use their PayPal funds, buy using a service which accepts PayPal payments or transferring the funds to a bank account. There's no urgent need for businesses to be able to use their PP funds, because they have other means available to them to make payments.

As to your research, it's already been explained to you that businesses for the most part don't accept PayPal payments because it's too expensive.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,861 ✭✭✭Cushie Butterfield

Dan, what you need to do is contact your local Enterpise office, who will soon tell you if you have a viable business idea.

https://www.localenterprise.ie/Kerry/

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,462 Mod ✭✭✭✭Axwell

Downloaded Revolut and still I cant transfer funds from paypal! Only options are google pay and bank draft!

You are transferring funds from Paypal -> your Revolut account. The options arent going to be on Revolut, they would be setup in Paypal that you would add the Revolut account to it and transfer money from Paypal to it.

You also havent explained what your service exactly is or how it would actually work, just the problem you believe exists.

You have funds in your paypal account, your takeaway doesnt accept Paypal but accepts visa/debit..what is your app going to do that bridges the gap between them?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,200 ✭✭✭hots

Axwell wrote: »
    You are transferring funds from Paypal -> your Revolut account. The options arent going to be on Revolut, they would be setup in Paypal that you would add the Revolut card to it and transfer money from Paypal to it.

You also havent explained what your service exactly is or how it would actually work, just the problem you believe exists.

You have funds in your paypal account, your takeaway doesnt accept Paypal but accepts visa/debit..what is your app going to do that bridges the gap between them?

It reads like a virtual debit card to me?

OP it might be an issue for a small number of people, but the vast majority of paypal users either transfer to bank a/cs or actually don't keep any funds in paypal at all.

If there was a market for this Paypal would be offering it.

hots wrote: »
    It reads like a virtual debit card to me?

Which already exists, so wondering what the OP is offering thats different and if that is what they are offering that they realise there is so much more involved than just an app.

• Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭14ned

Axwell wrote: »
    Which already exists, so wondering what the OP is offering thats different and if that is what they are offering that they realise there is so much more involved than just an app.

The OP is probably thinking of some sort of "cheque cashing" service for Paypal where one can instantaneously make X euro in the Paypal account become available on some debit card number for use in a takeaway.

And in theory, that ought to be fairly straightforward to implement. In China you could do it in a heartbeat.

Over here, our obsolete system of banks and their fees are kept in their monopoly position by thickets of regulation. For example, Revolut, like Paypal, offer no government backed deposit guarantee like banks do. So you would be unwise to keep any significant amounts in them for any length of time. Same goes for Irish startup CurrencyFair who will get you just about the best exchange rate that is possible (and better than Revolut).

So while there is a big use case for these services as temporary places to do something particular with your money, you would be unwise to leave any sums you can't afford to lose there. For example, I really wouldn't pay my salary into Revolut's "current account", despite how much they want you to. If they paid maybe 4% interest on a positive balance, then it might be worth it. But they offer nothing in exchange for the lack of deposit guarantee, and other services provide currency exchange etc for a lot cheaper.

tl;dr; It's very hard to be profitable in Europe in the realm of money unless you are a very big enterprise.

Niall

14ned wrote: »
    The OP is probably thinking of some sort of "cheque cashing" service for Paypal where one can instantaneously make X euro in the Paypal account become available on some debit card number for use in a takeaway.

And in theory, that ought to be fairly straightforward to implement. In China you could do it in a heartbeat.

Couldn't explain it better myself, I disagree with people not wanting to use or not having funds in there paypal account, for something thats so useless that's kinda been described here just remember there one of the biggest multinational companies in ireland, and have vast amounts of transactions every second, in my opinion paypal is the future, as I keep saying it's the business that are the problem, I really do think that something can be created and be successful!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,200 ✭✭✭hots

Couldn't explain it better myself, I disagree with people not wanting to use or not having funds in there paypal account, for something thats so useless that's kinda been described here just remember there one of the biggest multinational companies in ireland, and have vast amounts of transactions every second, in my opinion paypal is the future, as I keep saying it's the business that are the problem, I really do think that something can be created and be successful!

Paypal are a legacy system in themselves in the payments world now. And far less dominant than they used to be.

Why are the businesses the problem? A takeaway that signs up to use Deliveroo or Just Eat for example is already paying fees to be part of the platform, using PayPal just adds extra fees again on top of that. It would be madness for them to be accepting payment via PayPal unless they were charging you more for that ability to offset the fees, also the fact it would be the minority of people who would use it to pay versus their normal debit card.

You see a problem which you yourself have and are disagreeing with anyone who says others don't need it or wouldn't use it without any research into it at all. Most people that have a PayPal account are also most likely to have a debit card, what is the advantage of being able to move money around and pay extra to use money that is in their PayPal account versus just using their debit card as normal and transferring the money in their PayPal over to their bank account whenever they decide to.

Going back to the original request - you want someone to make you an app. What is the functionality of the app, what is the process, the user flow..how will it work..do i get a physical card that I can transfer money to? You don't seem to have any of this information thought out and want to hire someone to make an app but the requirements of your service go far beyond just having an app. This is nothing more than a barely fleshed out idea right now and you are far away from the point of needing a developer to make an app.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭GarIT

I'm just struggling to understand how money can be extracted from a papyal account faster than PayPal and with lower fees

Advertisement