Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Very cold, Snow

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,102 ✭✭✭Stinicker

The birds have being going insane today at the feeders, there is something big on the way I feel, different species co-existing and the appearance of an owl did not put them off. We are in for another artic blast soon I fear.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,765 ✭✭✭GSF

Stinicker wrote: »
    The birds have being going insane today at the feeders, there is something big on the way I feel, different species co-existing and the appearance of an owl did not put them off. We are in for another artic blast soon I fear.
    or perhaps they are just hungry?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,015 ✭✭✭John.Icy

Major signs that Zonality is on its way, the building blocks are all there by +140, with South West winds by +170....

Hope we get some snow out of this before the Atlantic wins through, which is 70% likely now, even more...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Harps

Harps wrote: »
    I'm only a couple of miles from Dungloe but we've had nothing here, I cant see the top of Errigal below the clouds but theres nothing on the mountains either aside from a few small patches surviving from last week.

Actually scratch that, turns out it was snowing at around 10.30am here! I'm right at sea level (beach front in fact) so definitely promising for the rest of the week

Harps wrote: »
    Actually scratch that, turns out it was snowing at around 10.30am here! I'm right at sea level (beach front in fact) so definitely promising for the rest of the week

We were under a cold airmass this morning, warmer air is on the way for the North by tonight. The cool air returns, before milder air returns once more.

Not very promising man.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭Big Daddy Cool

loves the way when the word snow is mentioned by anybody, and no matter how little might fall, people go as insane as the birds at stinickers feeder. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

Issued at 03 January 2011 - 13:22
    Weather Warning

A band of rain or sleet will affect northern and northwestern parts of the country later this evening and overnight. It will fall as snow in places with between 2 and 5 cm of snow likely. This mainly on high ground, but some snow is possible at lower levels inland too.

• Registered Users Posts: 671 ✭✭✭NIALL D

John.Icy wrote: »
    We were under a cold airmass this morning, warmer air is on the way for the North by tonight. The cool air returns, before milder air returns once more.

Not very promising man.

are u goin by the models or jus sayin wat u think yourself ? cause even the experts are sayin there will be a cold period , so where u gettin your info ??:rolleyes:

NIALL D wrote: »
    are u goin by the models or jus sayin wat u think yourself ? cause even the experts are sayin there will be a cold period , so where u gettin your info ??:rolleyes:

The models,

Its going to warm up tonight, cool down again tomorrow, then as this front moves up from the south, it brings up milder air, then it gets cold again briefly, then BIG signs the Atlantic is going to obliterate the cold and it will be very mild for a good few days, then possibl, and I say possibly, could get very cold, after Mid-month, with Easterlies possible.

The models,

Its going to warm up tonight, cool down again tomorrow, then as this front moves up from the south, it brings up milder air, then it gets cold again briefly, then BIG signs the Atlantic is going to obliterate the cold and it will be very mild for a good few days, then possibl, and I say possibly, could get very cold, after Mid-month, with Easterlies possible.

ok ;)

• Advertisement

MET UK

Northern Ireland:
    Co Antrim
    Co Armagh
    Co Derry
    Co Down
    Co Fermanagh
    Co Tyrone
    Widespread Icy Roads & Heavy Snow 1700 Mon 3 0400 Tue 4

A band of rain, sleet and snow will move southeast across all parts this evening, clearing during the early hours. Snow falls of up to 5cm are possible locally with ice forming widely on untreated surfaces.

The public are advised to take extra care and refer to TrafficWatchNI.com (operational hours 07.00 to 21.00 Mon to Fri and 09:00 to17:00 on Saturdays) for further advice on road conditions.

Issued at: 1438 Mon 3 Jan

• Registered Users Posts: 777 ✭✭✭H2UMrsRobinson

OK get used to this peeps - H2U got a weather station for Crimbo !

Temp = 0.7C humidity = 74% Dewpoint = -3 (according to Iphone App that converts temps and humidity into DP's)

Weather station forecasting snow and Ice...!

I'm just saying...;)

OK get used to this peeps - H2U got a weather station for Crimbo !

Temp = 0.7C humidity = 74% Dewpoint = -3 (according to Iphone App that converts temps and humidity into DP's)

Weather station forecasting snow and Ice...!

I'm just saying...;)

Congrats on your new toy :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,632 ✭✭✭darkman2

Friday and Saturday will have to watched carefully. Small chance of significant snowfall at least for a time across the country. Bit too far out for specifics but both days look interesting with mild air and wet weather encroaching from the South coming up against cold air over the country.

It all depends, the band that will move down across the country has an assciated mild sector, If any precip manages to fall before the mild sector arrives in that area, wintry precip is possible.

The further South, the less chance of this happening.

Fingers crossed though, maybe the models are overdoing the mild sector.

:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

darkman2 wrote: »
    Friday and Saturday will have to watched carefully. Small chance of significant snowfall at least for a time across the country. Bit too far out for specifics but both days look interesting with mild air and wet weather encroaching from the South coming up against cold air over the country.

Indeed, it would be much better if the system from the South would undercut, and move East instead of North-East, which would allow colder air hanging on instead of the milder air move up across the country, meaning much more snow, but atm, its snow to a washout before cold air returns with snow possible after this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,968 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

Indeed, it would be much better if the system from the South would undercut, and move East instead of North-East, which would allow colder air hanging on instead of the milder air move up across the country, meaning much more snow, but atm, its snow to a washout before cold air returns with snow possible after this.

well hopefully the colder air manages to move back in quicker - or better still as you say the milder air doesn't get much of a look in as the models are suggesting. it's amazing how a shift 100 miles east could make such a big difference. ah one of these days it will go our way from an atlantic incursion!

mike65 wrote: »
    Mike...how many of your 61k posts are on the weather forum-at least 5000 or 10,000 of them? And you still post up links to the bbc computer generated,zero human forecaster input rubbish links like that one as if they have validity?

• Advertisement

Well it more in hope than expectation I admit, "think it and it will come true!" and its not 5000+ can't be 5000+ :(

• Registered Users Posts: 836 ✭✭✭derekon

Folks,

I think it would be fair to say that Ireland's weather over the coming week can be summed up in one word - "uncertain"

The models appear to be all over the place, though generally cold for the coming weekend.

Even the likes of CNN weather (which I understand totally is based on computer models and cannot be trusted) is noting a cold trend for the coming ten days in Dublin .

It would appear that even the CNN computers do not know which way to view the upcoming weather in Ireland, although in the end they are opting for colder than average.

http://weather.cnn.com/weather/forecast.jsp?celcius=true&locCode=EIDW&zipCode=336562986788

It looks like a milder air push up then a colder air push down as a low moves north-east but after that a more substaintial depression will feed south-westerlies over us, sandwiched by a large area of high pressure moving east.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭eskimocat

Evelyn mentioned up to 10cm of snow in the northern end of the country, including north Connaught... (she showed a very interesting chart )

It is certainly cold enough here in Dromahair... BRRRRRRRrrrrr

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,138 ✭✭✭snaps

eskimocat wrote: »
    Evelyn mentioned up to 10cm of snow in the northern end of the country, including north Connaught... (she showed a very interesting chart )

It is certainly cold enough here in Dromahair... BRRRRRRRrrrrr

Not a chance. That front pushing in so warm.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,180 ✭✭✭pauldry

Sorry Evelyn not on your Nelly.

Its already 1.4c in Sligo after being 0.0c (0c:)) at 5pm

4c in Finner which is feeding our weather here and 5c in Malin with drizzle

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,981 ✭✭✭JanuarySnowstor

I'm looking fwd to Evelyn's prediction of a wintry week. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭diarmuid79

snaps wrote: »
    Not a chance. That front pushing in so warm.
    She might be right just talking to the mother in law in Amtrim town and it is snowing heavy at the minute about 2cm so far :D

diarmuid79 wrote: »
    She might be right just talking to the mother in law in Amtrim town and it is snowing heavy at the minute about 2cm so far :D

Since the front is moving more East than south atm, the warm front will be travelling from Donegal east to Antrim, should turn to rain there soon.

HOWEVER, if the warm front is weaker than anticipated, god knows, some places could see a fair bit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,137 ✭✭✭flanzer

I'm looking fwd to Evelyn's prediction of a wintry week. :rolleyes:

She's pretty much said what is being said on here. It's a flip of a coin from Thursday

No special snow thread for tonight then for the North of Ireland???
    If it was Leinster there would be one created by now :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 7,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭pistolpetes11

Pangea wrote: »

Start one up then ,

Doubting there will be anything down my neck of the woods anyway , temps slowly on the rise here 0.6 now although still have a -1.9 dp !

Looking forward to the next few weeks , should be v interesting .

Start one up then ,

Doubting there will be anything down my neck of the woods anyway , temps slowly on the rise here 0.6 now although still have a -1.9 dp !

Looking forward to the next few weeks , should be v interesting .

If a regional thread is started, it'll only be closed/merged again. Nout wrong with this one - Very cold, Snow - says it all !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,550 ✭✭✭Min

If you get snow...remember there is a thaw thread you can use tomorrow :p

If a regional thread is started, it'll only be closed/merged again. Nout wrong with this one - Very cold, Snow - says it all !
    No thats totally different, thats when the whole country is getting snow ,when there is just one region getting snow then a regional snow thread is created because only one region is getting snow obviously. lol
    Event threads are usually created when there are snow events , like I said if there was snow just in Leinster tonight, there would be a seperate thread created to this one ;)
    Start one up then ,
    Nah all Im getting is rain :)
    Min wrote: »
    If you get snow...remember there is a thaw thread you can use tomorrow tongue.gif
    lol thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 347 ✭✭isle of man

i would just like to say, its SNOWING. Sorry but it is.
    vary light and will prob not amount to much.

But then again a year 2mro we awoke to 4 in on the ground after a snow shower popped over us.

whats the chancers of that happining in a row

Its feeling a bit milder than 3/4 hours ago down here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,277 ✭✭✭kenmc

Frost forming on the car at 6:30 this evening, and temp was registering -1C. Popped out to the bin there a few mins ago and the frosts are all gone. Dunno the temp atm though.
    Goatstown D14.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 snowlover

Its 1.0 degree in Meath, but feels a lot colder! :D

No thats totally different, thats when the whole country is getting snow ,when there is just one region getting snow then a regional snow thread is created because only one region is getting snow obviously. lol
    Event threads are usually created when there are snow events , like I said if there was snow just in Leinster tonight, there would be a seperate thread created to this one ;)

Gotcha :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,453 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

• Advertisement

Snow cam.

highest cam on the island,

http://www.gov.im/tourism/webcam/webcam.aspx?webcam=7

looking at the rader, looks like we could get a big hit,
    just depends how low down it will come,
    as its raining where i am,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

Significantly colder 18Z run tonight:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 882 ✭✭✭fr wishy washy

What does this mean?

it means very little on it's own.
    Forecasts are better made from a blend of several numerical weather programmes.
    To newbies,if you want a reasonable balanced translation of the models into as best a forecast as possible,you won't go too far wrong by reading mt craniums forecast sticky thread.
    A lot of time and consideration goes into it and it's free.

Currently the weather set up is very difficult to forecast as models aren't apparently as well geared to resolve,for want of a better way of putting it,the physics of where everything is at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭karl tyrrell

more snow please

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

Birdnuts wrote: »
    Significantly colder 18Z run tonight:)
    Which model? I don't see much of an upgrade if you can call it that for cold up to t+96 anyway.

Besides, it's not called the pub run for nothing;)

well we have lots of yes lots of Rain,

lashing down, but no snow,
    Think its just higher ground getting it

Which model? I don't see much of an upgrade if you can call it that for cold up to t+96 anyway.

Besides, it's not called the pub run for nothing;)

Ditto, No big changes at all.

looks like were not goina get much snow from this cold spell....

looks as hopeless as the last 2.. we got an inch of snow in first cold spell here in the south,that was it... im not really expecting anything because last time we were forcasted snow for many days and there wasnt a flake to be seen..

maybe next year......

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 174 ✭✭sillybird

NIALL D wrote: »
    looks like were not goina get much snow from this cold spell....

looks as hopeless as the last 2.. we got an inch of snow in first cold spell here in the south,that was it... im not really expecting anything because last time we were forcasted snow for many days and there wasnt a flake to be seen..

maybe next year......

Some snow is better than none of you are a lover. May I remind you we are only into the first week of January yet!!

Advertisement