Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

AH Gone to the Dogs

Options

Comments

• Administrators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,712 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭hullaballoo

Against bacon fries? Pfff.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,864 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Dial Hard wrote: »
    Have to agree, the improvement since the split is remarkable.

CA/IMHO is a dumpster fire of hate and bigotry, imo (see what I did there) but it's working great as a playpen for the terminally outraged so long may it last.

:D while I don’t wholly agree with that description I do agree it was wise to separate the pub-style shouting matches from the more fun/craic-natured side of AH.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,513 ✭✭✭✭Lucyfur

Against bacon fries? Pfff.

They're not even a crisp!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,017 ✭✭✭Odhinn

After Hours has always been the same, really. Nonsense, offensive generalisations, flame-bait, cliques, clichés, trolls, idiots, legends, witty replies, n00bs getting pwned, mods who try really hard but still can't keep everyone happy all of the time, scandal, intrigue, conspiracy, misunderstanding, fantasy, and a whole load of fantastic characters having entertaining and enlightening conversations. Every six months someone comes to Feedback saying they miss the good old days. Rinse and repeat. It's been following that pattern since at least 2006. :)

I've been here about 10 years under two user names (not simultaneously) and the above really does sum it up.

Don't suppose there's any interest in an insult or permanent "thunderdome" thread? Biscuits thread tonight was:

1. Disgraceful
    2. Rude
    3. Durty
    4. Insulting
    5. A fix (in favour of Jaffa cakes which I wholeheartedly support)
    6. Refreshing- knowing you could insult or say pretty much what you wanted and knowing you wouldn't get banned.

Thread shows that there's demand for (a) a good voting/battle thread and (b) posters willing to partake and give/take a bit of abuse.

If not a permanent insult thread, then how about an "always on" battle thread with abuse allowed? Maybe different people sign up to running a battle thread on various things and abuse allowed in each of those threads?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Raconteuse

There are numerous threads at the moment containing posts about how awful women are (not certain women, just women). Kinda not a good look.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,561 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

Raconteuse wrote: »
    There are numerous threads at the moment containing posts about how awful women are (not certain women, just women). Kinda not a good look.

It does look like a few “current affairs” forum types have spilled over into AH alright.

“It is not blood that makes you Irish but a willingness to be part of the Irish nation” - Thomas Davis

At times it's like the trolls and hatemongers get punished less than the long-term contributors. :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

At times it's like the trolls and hatemongers get punished less than the long-term contributors. :rolleyes:

Fortunately, or unfortunately, depending on your perspective, there is due process that has to be carried out. Mods can't ban posters just because we or someone else thinks they're a troll. They have to accumulate an escalating level of sanction before we can ban them.

There were complaints of mods abusing their powers so the above, sometimes drawn out, process was brought in.

The other side is where discretion can be used. Boards has allowed previously banned posters to return to posting where they have shown a willingness to reform their posting style which has worked in the majority of cases that I've been aware of. If it was left up to me, some of those would still be banned as they were obvious reregs and I would have just dropped the hammer and thought no more about it.

It's no less annoying for mods to see some obvious trolls get seemingly away free of sanction but we have to build a case to a point where sanctions can be given.This is from feedback provided by users, that is the process we have to use and that's just the way it is.

It's not perfect but if you have an alternative proposal, feel free to throw it out there.

id suggest that in the most obvious cases there could be a case of skipping a few steps.

cf the thread at top of new answers about the sad suicide of a woman in custody

that behaviour could easily be argued as meriting a temp siteban in the first instance, instead of eg a warning or a temp threadban

particularly when the poster involved has been winding everyone up for months.

• Advertisement

It's frustrating to see long-term contributors get carded or warned (one in particular goes to great effort to make it a fun community) for finally snapping at the individuals who are hell bent on causing discord though, instead of said offenders being reprimanded. Ok nobody should call someone a name, but... common sense? How is it conducive to good feeling to let people go on a rampage of insults (and just because these skirt the line, doesn't make them less personal) and inflammatory comments while awaiting some arbitrary point when suddenly enough is enough? But to reprimand a usually good contributor for one slip-up? Smacks of "oh this is low hanging fruit and it's easier" to be honest.

People shouldn't rise to the bait I know, but when they do, blaming them for feeding the troll instead of blaming the troll themselves, seems like a really unfair redirection of blame. If you set out to provoke, and you provoke, then you're the one to blame, nobody else.

Also, this thing of telling everyone to calm down instead of dealing with the troublemaker at the root of the confrontation. Again, low hanging fruit.

It's a discussion forum, not court. Does the letter of the law really have to be so rigidly followed even to the point of not making sense?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,630 ✭✭✭Woke Hogan

"Long term contributors" get protected more than anyone. One poster posted yesterday that he ****ed my wife and when I had a moderate pop back, I was the one who got reprimanded with that ludicrously unintimidating bolded text by a moderator. A few other users even pointed out how unfair that was and one of their posts got deleted. It's a joke.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,898 ✭✭✭✭Ken.

Woke Hogan wrote: »
    "Long term contributors" get protected more than anyone. One poster posted yesterday that he ****ed my wife and when I had a moderate pop back, I was the one who got reprimanded with that ludicrously unintimidating bolded text by a moderator. A few other users even pointed out how unfair that was and one of their posts got deleted. It's a joke.

Thanks,thats what it's suppose to be.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,561 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

Whoa there, chief. One of my posts was deleted in that thread.

And, I would just like to point out, I was looking for clarification on whether the OP was “off limits”, as the thread gives certain “leeway” towards personal abuse.

I would, also, like to categorically state that I was in no way defending you nor “cantankerous” posts. Let’s make that perfectly clear.

As it transpires the mod, in question, sent me a “private message” to explain why my post was deleted and clarified the situation.

While I might not fully agree with the “situation” because it’s you I don’t feel any great need to kick up a stink. Had it been someone, anyone, else I may have complained more.

“It is not blood that makes you Irish but a willingness to be part of the Irish nation” - Thomas Davis

• Registered Users Posts: 566 ✭✭✭Supernintento Chalmers

I wouldn't take it to heart. AH modships have always attracted the dregs of society :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,898 ✭✭✭✭Ken.

I wouldn't take it to heart. AH modships have always attracted the dregs of society :D

Hey numb nuts, you know the rules. Don't be telling the newbies the truth:P

When a long running, heated thread is closed, why post "Closed, pending review"? As this implies they'll come back later, which they don't.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,024 ✭✭✭✭Baggly

You answered your own question. If its long running it takes a while to review, in my experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,412 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

Why aren't the ridiculously obvious re-reg trolls in the "Women snaring a man" thread being dealt with? Within minutes of the thread starting, the usual suspect was on (and yes, I reported him) and now there's at least one more. Not shutting them down immediately just encourages them to keep at it the next time because they know they'll get at least a day of airtime.

• Boards.ie Employee Posts: 5,461 ✭✭✭✭✭Boards.ie: Mark
    Boards.ie Employee

Hi Dial Hard,

Thank you for reporting the post. The user has already been banned and their posts deleted on the back of this. There was a Mod online within minutes of the report who dealt with this user.

• Advertisement

Some proper woman haters on After Hours - not just the re reg folk. They're frustrated at women for not fancying them, they're only attracted to absolute bitches, they resent that - as they see it - even women who aren't at all lookers still get sex (from extremely drunk, ultra horny men, who do an impression of Road Runner when making their getaway the next morning - every woman's dream!) and they blame all women for the above, they are absolutely elated if a woman's beauty starts to fade, etc... It's standard stuff - no mystery. Men who are happy in themselves simply don't have that warped outlook (they can still get pissed off about unfair situations for men - actual unfair situations, like parental rights - without bitterness towards all women).

But aren't there enough sh1t holes on the internet for such stewing? No need for AH to be such a place - it's not a good look for an otherwise great site that's streets ahead of much bigger social sites for reasoned discussion.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,936 ✭✭✭normanoffside

Why did a Mod just send a very interesting, fun and inoffensive AH thread off to a dead forum to die?

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=112004291#post112004291

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 391 ✭✭Professor Genius

Why did a Mod just send a very interesting, fun and inoffensive AH thread off to a dead forum to die?

Dead forum is right. Hardly a thread moved in the last 6 months.

Yeah that was an absolutely ridiculous decision. Obviously a personal call but I can’t work out how they’d be offended by it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,241 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

The forum in question is already dead so all it is now is dead forum killing a good thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,241 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

might move a bit of traffic that way. Moving threads might introduce people to new forums,

might move a bit of traffic that way. Moving threads might introduce people to new forums,

It's been locked for the past 3 hours ffs!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,875 ✭✭✭✭anewme

Some proper woman haters on After Hours - not just the re reg folk. They're frustrated at women for not fancying them, they're only attracted to absolute bitches, they resent that - as they see it - even women who aren't at all lookers still get sex (from extremely drunk, ultra horny men, who do an impression of Road Runner when making their getaway the next morning - every woman's dream!) and they blame all women for the above, they are absolutely elated if a woman's beauty starts to fade, etc... It's standard stuff - no mystery. Men who are happy in themselves simply don't have that warped outlook (they can still get pissed off about unfair situations for men - actual unfair situations, like parental rights - without bitterness towards all women).

But aren't there enough sh1t holes on the internet for such stewing? No need for AH to be such a place - it's not a good look for an otherwise great site that's streets ahead of much bigger social sites for reasoned discussion.

I've actually commented on this previously. I don't believe boards.ie are strong enough in tackling the misogyny - threads or posters. It's like its acceptable and comes with AH territory. Apart from the re regs, there are a core of women bashers, everyone knows the names and these posters try to circle the wagons as a group when they get pushback. I've seen many a good poster leave because of them.

• Advertisement

That thread is still locked. So much for moving traffic to new forums....

Advertisement