Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I did not want to show the world the sadness in my eyes.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,128 ✭✭✭Tacitus Kilgore

They shouldn't. They should go to the police and give a statement in as much detail as possible.

I appreciate it would be traumatic but would argue it is better to tell the police who can refer you to counselling services, rather than a music magazine writer.

How do you know this hasn't been with the police already?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,029 ✭✭✭SusieBlue

1, it wasn't that people here though he was 18, it was that the whole video was a set-up by his momanger for clicks, disgusting woman using him like that but it wasn't her first time.

2, I haven't a clue on this one here, people are right to be sceptical though as it was released on Instagram, until more is released to substantiate the claims, IMO people are right to call it out and not be drowned out by the "aww I feel so sorry for her/him.

1. Nope, PP called him a "lying dwarf kid" which would imply that he was being dishonest about his age. If they had taken issue with just the bullying video & him being exploited by his mother I'm sure they would have said so and not used such nasty language when speaking about a disabled child.

2. Call what out, though? There is currently absolutely no reason not to believe her. She hasn't even accused anyone of anything.
    The rush to dismiss what happened her based off pretty much nada is so transparent. And these people aren't sceptical, they have specifically stated they think she is lying about it, for fame, money, or for sympathy. And that's so pathetic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,630 ✭✭✭Woke Hogan

I was also wondering what happened to her fairly recently. I hope she gets the help she needs.

I’m not surprised but I am disgusted at all of the misogynistic comments in here from the people accusing her of lying or “cashing in.” If a male singer from the same era, say Daniel Beddingfield, announced that he had been raped these people would be falling over themselves slamming his attacker(s).

How do you know this hasn't been with the police already?

I don't know for certain, but there so far is no reference made of that. So I assume it has not been unless there is evidence to the contrary.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,552 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

Some nasty cnts here

This is what happens when, certain, threads aren’t moved to the “Current Affairs” forum. A direct result.

The tide is turning…

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Raconteuse

Terry Crewes - enormous dude with massive muscles - said he was sexually assaulted. I still believe him.
    You seem like the type to believe any old cobblers, I hope you didn't donate to the dwarf kid in America. :D
    You very much didn't read his post obviously - seeing as he was saying he doesn't believe in things without evidence.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,683 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

Christ almighty, the whiff of Edgelords is quite strong in this thread.

This is a perfect example of why a lot of women don't speak out about their ordeals to certain types of people. Having gone through a traumatic event, then taking time to heal, then finally being able to talk about, all to have people claim she is doing it for 'rape fame'.

People like that will find that women who have been the victim of similar events, won't talk to them about it... so it reinforces their mindset that sexual assaults against women are not that common. Essentially their own cold heartedness keeps them ill informed.

For someone as experienced and informed as yourself on the topic, do you find that people who have been the victims of rape will generally tend to base their reactions and attitudes on the claimed experiences of celebrities? (or in this case a rather less well known celebrity)

I don’t, which is why when Chrissy Hynde made her claims about having been a victim of rape, I didn’t relate them to ordinary people either -

Chrissie Hynde Under Fire for Saying Rape Victims Can Be at Fault

It’s not “cold-hearted ness” at all, it’s being skeptical of celebrities motives for claiming to have been raped in a time when they receive plaudits for their apparent bravery as survivors. I’ve listened to plenty of people who have chosen to talk about their experiences, I don’t jump down their throats if I don’t like what I hear or tell them that they’re the kind of people who turn people off coming forward, because that’s a shìtty claim for anyone to make, never mind the fact that it’s complete nonsense.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

For someone as experienced and informed as yourself on the topic, do you find that people who have been the victims of rape will generally tend to base their reactions and attitudes on the claimed experiences of celebrities? (or in this case a rather less well known celebrity)

It's not the experience of celebrities, its how the public react to the accounts.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,301 ✭✭✭✭gerrybbadd

tdf7187 wrote: »
    In new scandal, it has been revealed that pop singer "Duffy" was held captive for nine years some days by crazed sex rapists.

Mod

It is still vague over details, but definitely NOT years

https://www.rollingstone.com/music/music-news/duffy-kidnapping-rape-return-statement-958217/

Those damn sex rapists. As opposed to the other types of rapists.

Seems like crazy stuff. She's showing some strength addressing it in this public fashion

• Registered Users Posts: 19,997 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

They shouldn't. They should go to the police and give a statement in as much detail as possible.

I appreciate it would be traumatic but would argue it is better to tell the police who can refer you to counselling services, rather than a music magazine writer.

And do you know if they have spoken to the police?

• Advertisement

I don't know for certain, but there so far is no reference made of that. So I assume it has not been unless there is evidence to the contrary.

LOL. You disbelieve the claim she was raped even thought there's no evidence to the contrary. Now you decide to believe she hasn't spoken to the police (with absolutely no evidence either way) unless there's evidence to the contrary. Talk about making it up as you go along.

This is precisely the point of reserving judgement until/unless there's enough evidence to reach a conclusion. If you make a decision based on your gut instinct then that decision will colour every bit of subsequent evidence (which is exactly what everyone has done who either actively believes it or actively disbelieves it with such a tiny bit of evidence).

I will just take the honest approach and say I don't know because there isn't enough evidence to reach a conclusion. If more evidence comes forward then I'll take that into account but I might never know one way or the other and I don't feel obliged to reach a knee-jerk decision.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,128 ✭✭✭Tacitus Kilgore

And do you know if they have spoken to the police?

As he said, he just assumes they haven't in the absence of conflicting info.

I presume this is an attempt to muddy the waters of what should, and shouldn't be believed.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,714 ✭✭✭ThewhiteJesus

wow the lack of sympathy here is unreal.
    I wonder would you assume the worst if it was your sister or mother or wife.

As he said, he just assumes they haven't in the absence of conflicting info.

I presume this is an attempt to muddy the waters of what should, and shouldn't be believed.

Oh yes it very much is an attempt to muddy the waters by that poster. If they took that same approach with the accusation (believe it unless there's evidence to the contrary) then they would also believe the accusation because there is no evidence to the contrary. But they don't because they've made up their mind with the tiny bit of evidence available. Terrible approach.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,214 ✭✭✭This is it

This is what happens when, certain, threads aren’t moved to the “Current Affairs” forum. A direct result.

I call bull on that. AH can be a cesspit at times but it shouldn't need to be moved, the posts should be actioned wherever they are when they fall below posting standards, which clearly a lot of posts in this thread do.

eviltwin wrote: »
    It's not the experience of celebrities, its how the public react to the accounts.

How the public reacts to the accounts of celebrities though.

That’s my point - they’re two completely different contexts and circumstances. In cases of celebrities making announcements on social media, the reaction from the public doesn’t influence an ordinary persons reasons for keeping their experiences and their thoughts to themselves. Their priority generally tends to be self-preservation.

Rolling Stone in particular has previous form for publishing stories in an attempt to portray a particular narrative which later turned out to be complete works of fiction -

Rolling Stone Loses Defamation Case Over Rape Story

• Registered Users Posts: 10,552 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

This is it wrote: »
    I call bull on that. AH can be a cesspit at times but it shouldn't need to be moved, the posts should be actioned wherever they are when they fall below posting standards, which clearly a lot of posts in this thread do.

I’m not talking about this thread, T.

I’m just pointing out that if, say, the “Peterson” thread had been moved to CA this thread wouldn’t have been overrun with the posters from there.

The tide is turning…

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

How the public reacts to the accounts of celebrities though.

That’s my point - they’re two completely different contexts and circumstances. In cases of celebrities making announcements on social media, the reaction from the public doesn’t influence an ordinary persons reasons for keeping their experiences and their thoughts to themselves. Their priority generally tends to be self-preservation.

Rolling Stone in particular has previous form for publishing stories in an attempt to portray a particular narrative which later turned out to be complete works of fiction -

Rolling Stone Loses Defamation Case Over Rape Story

I wouldn't necessarily agree with that based on my own personal experience.

LOL. You disbelieve the claim she was raped even thought there's no evidence to the contrary. Now you decide to believe she hasn't spoken to the police (with absolutely no evidence either way) unless there's evidence to the contrary. Talk about making it up as you go along.

This is precisely the point of reserving judgement until/unless there's enough evidence to reach a conclusion. If you make a decision based on your gut instinct then that decision will colour every bit of subsequent evidence (which is exactly what everyone has done who either actively believes it or actively disbelieves it with such a tiny bit of evidence).

I will just take the honest approach and say I don't know because there isn't enough evidence to reach a conclusion. If more evidence comes forward then I'll take that into account but I might never know one way or the other and I don't feel obliged to reach a knee-jerk decision.

I think you have just spelled out my position believe it or not. There isn't enough evidence to believe or disbelieve. But taking that position for some people means you don't believe her.

Where I would go slightly further than you is point out the lack of detail and strange medium for communicating what would have been an unimaginably horrific ordeal.

eviltwin wrote: »
    I wouldn't necessarily agree with that based on my own personal experience.

I know, but that’s why I questioned that poster as they seemed to have a greater deal of experience than anyone that they could infer that how ordinary people who have been the victim of rape would base anything on how they see the public react to celebrities who claim to have been raped.

I don’t think there’s any correlation whatsoever myself, but that supports their assertion that I’m ill-informed and they know better. I’d like to know how they know so I can be as informed as they are on the issue of the thought processes of people who have been the victim of rape.

They all think the same apparently, who knew?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 478 ✭✭Millicently

Woke Hogan wrote: »
    I was also wondering what happened to her fairly recently. I hope she gets the help she needs.

I’m not surprised but I am disgusted at all of the misogynistic comments in here from the people accusing her of lying or “cashing in.” If a male singer from the same era, say Daniel Beddingfield, announced that he had been raped these people would be falling over themselves slamming his attacker(s).
    Misogynistic? The woman pops up after being absent from the limelight for however long and makes a vague statement saying that she has been drugged, held captive and raped. She doesn't elaborate on this other than to say that she stayed out of the limelight because she didn't want the world to see the sadness in her eyes which is frankly nauseating. Instead of telling people what happened to her she then invites people to submit questions to her about what happened to her which she says she will answer in a spoken interview in the coming weeks. Now if that doesn't reek to you I don't know what does.

There are men and women out there right now trying desperately to come to terms with being raped and too scared to tell anyone but this woman has turned an alleged horrific attack on her into a three ringed circus at exactly the point in time where questioning her honesty in the media or on Social media will have people baying for blood in case she decides to get upset and kill herself. This is the first time that I've heard of a rape victim ask for the public to submit questions to her about her rape that they'd like her to answer. I am a woman and I have known many very manipulative and calculating women so you'll just have to forgive me for saying that if it walks like a duck and quacks then it might just be a duck.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,907 ✭✭✭Stevieluvsye

It's bizarre

I don't know whether she was raped or not so won't speculate, but why come out and make this statement? To the best of my knowledge i can't imagine the general public sitting at home worrying why that hadn't heard anything from Duffy in the last few years.

I'm thinking there is another motive here

I think you have just spelled out my position believe it or not. There isn't enough evidence to believe or disbelieve. But taking that position for some people means you don't believe her.

Where I would go slightly further than you is point out the lack of detail and strange medium for communicating what would have been an unimaginably horrific ordeal.

Sure. The position I spelled out is inconsistent, but it does seem to be the position you’re taking. Do you see the different approach you’ve taken to her claim and whether she’s been to the police? One you disbelieve in spite of lack of evidence to the contrary, the other you believe because of lack of evidence to the contrary.

It's bizarre

I don't know whether she was raped or not so won't speculate, but why come out and make this statement? To the best of my knowledge i can't imagine the general public sitting at home worrying why that hadn't heard anything from Duffy in the last few years.

I'm not sure if I've ever heard of her. But basically she hasn't been in the spotlight for 10 years then pops up out of nowhere saying that she'd been abducted drugged and raped yet at no point over the past 10 years has her family or agent or friends reported her missing. I'm not aware of any appeal to find her or any coverage in the media of her disappearance or a court case against anyone for this alleged occurrence. It's very difficult for any celebrity to keep anything quiet yet there' not been a peep about this.

It's bizarre

The other motive is glaringly obvious - if you’re a celebrity.

A celeb can’t just tell a few family and friends about something the way you or I might do. Someone will probably leak it and then a tabloid hears about it and it gets out in Chinese whispers style.

So if a celeb plans to ever tell anyone, then they might as well tell everyone before it gets out through tabloids and they spend years trying to set the record straight.

Much easier to just say it themselves in their own words on Instagram. Very simple explanation but I suspect people will prefer to go for a more nefarious explanation.

Sure. The position I spelled out is inconsistent, but it does seem to be the position you’re taking. Do you see the different approach you’ve taken to her claim and whether she’s been to the police? One you disbelieve in spite of lack of evidence to the contrary, the other you believe because of lack of evidence to the contrary.
    Whereas you are arguing that she should be believed because of a lack of evidence to the contrary. Do you recall any story of her going missing over the last 10 years? No, didn't think so. Some of us prefer to have equality for all and believe that everyone is should be treated fairly. I don't believe in accepting someone's word that they were raped simply because they say they were. It's a nightmare area but being a woman shouldn't give you more rights than a man and being a man shouldn't mean that your guilt is assumed when a rape complaint is made without evidence.

A celeb can’t just tell a few family and friends about something the way you or I might do. Someone will probably leak it and then a tabloid hears about it and it gets out in Chinese whispers style.

So if a celeb plans to ever tell anyone, then they might as well tell everyone before it gets out through tabloids and they spend years trying to set the record straight.

Much easier to just say it themselves in their own words on Instagram. Very simple explanation but I suspect people will prefer to go for a more nefarious explanation.

Or even spill it to the tabloids "accidently" and she can claim someone else sold the info to them, set up a teary interview on how you couldn't finmd the courage to express yourself, write some soppy sh!te song and there you go.

It's just weird.

Then why not release the story today on Instagram, why drag it out over weeks?

Then why not release the story today on Instagram, why drag it out over weeks?

Her script writer is on annual leave until March :D

• Advertisement

Or even spill it to the tabloids "accidently" and she can claim someone else sold the info to them, set up a teary interview on how you couldn't finmd the courage to express yourself, write some soppy sh!te song and there you go.

It's just weird.

Maybe she thinks it’s a serious topic and just wants to get it out rather than simply cynically using it to make money. Imagine that.

But the important thing is she’s wrong, right?

Having to correct a story the press has created could take years. Why not just tell the story yourself?

Advertisement