Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

M7 - Naas/Newbridge Bypass Upgrade [Junction 9a now open]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,257 ✭✭✭SoupyNorman

Anyone else notice how uneven the road is after approaching and after J10 South, car fairly bouncing at 120kph

• Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭regedit

Anyone else notice how uneven the road is after approaching and after J10 South, car fairly bouncing at 120kph

There's many bumpy sections in both directions. It reminds me often to M5o southbound after Red Cow. They took their time so one would expect something close to perfection. Curious will KCC have anything to say to siac when the handover is done?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,289 ✭✭✭WishUWereHere

Saw yesterday morning a Garda 4x4 parked up on the reserved space just before J10 speed checking.

Edit: This was south bound.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,478 ✭✭✭harr

regedit wrote: »
    There's many bumpy sections in both directions. It reminds me often to M5o southbound after Red Cow. They took their time so one would expect something close to perfection. Curious will KCC have anything to say to siac when the handover is done?
    Plenty of surface water yesterday around j9 and j10 south bound ... I would say flooded in places.
    Surely that’s not on for a new road and yes I know a lot of rain fell but to have flooding on a new road is not on.

harr wrote: »
    Plenty of surface water yesterday around j9 and j10 south bound ... I would say flooded in places.
    Surely that’s not on for a new road and yes I know a lot of rain fell but to have flooding on a new road is not on.

Makes me wonder was there any truth in that rumour mentioned here last year about subsidence? I agree with others, the SB carriageway fromJ9 past J9A is not even!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,856 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

Nice to see it back up to 120, drove it this afternoon at full speed for the first time since the roadworks started. Felt like I was past Naas before I knew it.

Surface awful around the M9 merge northbound.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

regedit wrote: »

Is it not TII responsible, rather than KCC?#

Drove it also today, first time at 120km/h. Very nice to see it finally done (and finally with a proper limit) but certainly a few bumps.

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭MYSTICA1

Anyone with any updates on the progress of the Sallins Bypass? Are we looking at Summer or Autumn? Is it possible to get close to the works for pictures / drone footage?

sdanseo wrote: »
    Is it not TII responsible, rather than KCC?#

Drove it also today, first time at 120km/h. Very nice to see it finally done (and finally with a proper limit) but certainly a few bumps.

Funny you should say that.
    I thought my front wheel (which I've been having a slow puncture problem with) was soft/out of balance.
    As soon as I hit the M9 it was perfect........
    Definitely a crappy surface

• Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭Tomrota

Funny you should say that.
    I thought my front wheel (which I've been having a slow puncture problem with) was soft/out of balance.
    As soon as I hit the M9 it was perfect........
    Definitely a crappy surface

I and a few others have thought the exact same.... probably the lowest quality new motorway I’ve ever drove on. What’s the procedure here? Will the government ask them to redo it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 678 ✭✭✭jmkennedyie

MYSTICA1 wrote: »
    Anyone with any updates on the progress of the Sallins Bypass? Are we looking at Summer or Autumn? Is it possible to get close to the works for pictures / drone footage?

Progress ongoing but I don't travel during construction hours so not sure of pace.
    From J9A to new Osberstown bridge bypass mainline seems to have at least some layers down.
    Osberstown overbridge ready but it looks like they were building new gateway/entrance into adjacent property before completing the western on ramp to the bridge.
    The Osberstown overbridge needs to be opened before they can complete the bypass mainline.
    The stretch up to canal bridge still needs some excavation, and ramp to canal bridge not completed yet. (Maybe they'll use the excavation to make the ramp)
    Profiling, tree planting on northern side of canal bridge looks complete. Looks like heavy equipment up on that stretch of road at the moment - kerbing and/or surfacing.
    Link into Sallins - saw nothing more than ground works at the Sallins end. Ongoing Irish Water piping laying/investigations happening in parallel and progress maybe pending that.
    Intersection at Clane end - progressing weekly. Kerbing and new roundabout lighting installed on eastern side.
    Nothing major structural to do...summer seems reasonable to me at typical pace.

Note large Irish Water upgrade includes laying a new sewer between Sallins and Clane and under Liffey over the coming ~18 months. That may be affecting things. Construction of various aspects already underway.

Re photos, nothing much to show you beyond the photos that were posted by buzzfish a week or two back:
    https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=112364891&postcount=3789

• Registered Users Posts: 2,906 ✭✭✭Cazale

Drove m1, m50 and m7 southbound during the heavy rain on Saturday. The m7 around junction 11 was lethal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

Cazale wrote: »
    Drove m1, m50 and m7 southbound during the heavy rain on Saturday. The m7 around junction 11 was lethal.

In a good way or a bad way?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,906 ✭✭✭Cazale

Cazale wrote:

Same again this morning. The pooling of surface water was very bad after junction 10 and especially around junction 11. As soon as I got onto the older two lane surface on the m7 immediately after junction 11 the surface water disappeared. Is it the new tarmac or a drainage issue?

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭emfifty

Someone needs to get on to TII or the county council asap.
    There have been enough complaints about the new M7 that would warrant a deluge of e-mails stating the obvious sent to info@tii.ie or if someone had a contact, then better still.

We need to know what's going to be done about the problems as opposed to complaining about the various defects that everyone seems to be in agreement are just not up to standard.

The book stops with the contractor in my opinion and TII and KCC are overseeing the project, therefore contact them. The more, the better.

• Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭regedit

TII
    Parkgate Business Centre,
    Parkgate Street,
    Dublin 8,
    D08 DK10,
    Ireland,
    Tel: +353 1 6463600
    info@tii.ie
    KCC
    http://kildare.ie/countycouncil/Contact/

There's bumpiness in the road both south and northbound. In general, as many agree, a poorly executed contract. I hope as a nation, we move away from the approach: 'as sure, leave the lads alone, they did as much as they could'. There's lack of proper water drainage resulting in spot flooding of the road, surface is uneven, the road markings are as if though the builders got their kids to paint them...

It was spectacularly poorly managed. Took nearly as long as it did to build the M17 or the New Ross bridge from scratch.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,388 ✭✭✭✭road_high

It's a pity because that road was fully resurfced around 15 years ago and was always one of the better surfaces (chronic traffic aside) on the network. It had started to detioratrate in recent years but I never remember any major stnding water issues or uneven surface.

• Registered Users Posts: 678 ✭✭✭jmkennedyie

Minor update on previous one..
    - confirm surfacing in progress on the main body of the bypass. E.g. over canal bridge
    - Also the new bypass route into Sallins is kerbed and it intersects the existing road more or less as per OpenStreetMap. They may rekerb/resurface the existing road up to the village Main Street but the alignment will not change much it seems. A swimming-pool sized underground Irish Water Storage/Pumping station has just been constructed in this area.
    - New entrance to private house, roundabout construction ongoing at Clane end.
    - Didn't notice much activity at Osberstown end.

• Registered Users Posts: 667 ✭✭✭BelfastVanMan

Minor update on previous one..
    - confirm surfacing in progress on the main body of the bypass. E.g. over canal bridge
    - Also the new bypass route into Sallins is kerbed and it intersects the existing road more or less as per OpenStreetMap. They may rekerb/resurface the existing road up to the village Main Street but the alignment will not change much it seems. A swimming-pool sized underground Irish Water Storage/Pumping station has just been constructed in this area.
    - New entrance to private house, roundabout construction ongoing at Clane end.
    - Didn't notice much activity at Osberstown end.

Pretty comprehensive update, thanks for that. :-)

• Advertisement

Drove up the M7 this morning from J10. Noticed a fair bit of surface water around J9A on the inside lane, but the middle lane had no build up.

Hate knocking but can see problems down the road here, as well as what has been reported at J11.

• Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭antietam1

I drove from the Red cow and through the toll and and as far as the Roscrea turn off yesterday, have to agree there are some rough stretches on the new parts.
    €1.35 per litre for petrol in Birr.

• Registered Users Posts: 667 ✭✭✭BelfastVanMan

antietam1 wrote: »
    I drove from the Red cow and through the toll and and as far as the Roscrea turn off yesterday, have to agree there are some rough stretches on the new parts.
    €1.35 per litre for petrol in Birr.

Sorry for being an ignorant Northerner...been a few months since I was down that way; how much has that fallen in price recently?

(Sorry for going off topic)

• Registered Users Posts: 28,717 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Sorry for being an ignorant Northerner...been a few months since I was down that way; how much has that fallen in price recently?

1.35 sounds more like the current diesel pricing. Not sure on petrol but usually anywhere up to 10c more.

It's been hovering around that (+/- 5c) for a while now

• Registered Users Posts: 1,627 ✭✭✭mrsoundie

Drove back from Dublin to the Banner County yesterday, found the stretch around Naas a bit skittish, the biggest problem though is the amount of Right Hand and Middle lane hoggers, it was painful.

Got stuck behind a Mercedes E Class for a bit passing the Curragh plains, gave the slow coach a flash of the headlights and fair play he went into the left lane.

My passenger and I, both looked in to see who was driving, and who did we see but Danny driving and his brother Michael along side him. Must of had a large dinner, God bless him.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭serfboard

mrsoundie wrote: »
    My passenger and I, both looked in to see who was driving, and who did we see but Danny driving and his brother Michael along side him.
    [OT]I wonder will Michael claim mileage for that trip - considering that he wasn't driving? ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,627 ✭✭✭mrsoundie

serfboard wrote: »
    [OT]I wonder will Michael claim mileage for that trip - considering that he wasn't driving? ;)

He was only resting in the Car!

• Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭antietam1

I pay € 1.46 here in Dublin, Birr in Offaly seems very competitive.

Drove back from Dublin to the Banner County yesterday, found the stretch around Naas a bit skittish, the biggest problem though is the amount of Right Hand and Middle lane hoggers, it was painful.

Got stuck behind a Mercedes E Class for a bit passing the Curragh plains, gave the slow coach a flash of the headlights and fair play he went into the left lane.

My passenger and I, both looked in to see who was driving, and who did we see but Danny driving and his brother Michael along side him. Must of had a large dinner, God bless him.

Ahh, opportunity lost. Could you not have had a momentary lapse of concentration and sent them spinning back to Kerry?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 983 ✭✭✭The Royal Scam

I'm not kidding. About 6 months after he was elected the first time I got caught the same . Him ambling along in overtaking lane with 6 cars behind him. I was the third in line and the lad behind him flashed him and he brake checked him twice. Second time was severe enough. Asshat

Advertisement