Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Apple Airpods return/refund policy

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,642 ✭✭✭thomas 123

cr-07 wrote: »
    Is this an actual and viable email address? Thanks very much if it is!

Yes it is, they aim to answer all emails sent there.

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭cr-07

thomas 123 wrote: »
    Yes it is, they aim to answer all emails sent there.

Do you know roughly the response time?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,642 ✭✭✭thomas 123

Do you know roughly the response time?

I’m afraid not.

Another phone call from a senior Apple representative. No help, no luck, same outcome, no joy. Just filed a case with the small claims court, wish me luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,103 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

Another phone call from a senior Apple representative. No help, no luck, same outcome, no joy. Just filed a case with the small claims court, wish me luck.

In relation to redress from the supplier, what will you do if Apple in response to your claim, offers to refund you the cost of engraving along with a replacement set of AirPods?

How much are you claiming for the engraving?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,672 ✭✭✭whippet

The crux of this will be the fact that Apple
    Offered ‘free’ engraving. You didn’t purchase the engraving .. it was just a free add on.

whippet wrote: »
    Offered ‘free’ engraving. You didn’t purchase the engraving .. it was just a free add on.

€25 worth of advice.

Can I please pay €25 to get redress for something that I paid €0 for.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,915 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

whippet wrote: »

Apple are offering a blank replacement which is not what he OP bought, so they aren't replacing like with like. If the OP gets a refund from Apple they can buy AirPods and get them engraved for free, along with the advantage of not getting a refurb.

Del2005 wrote: »
    Apple are offering a blank replacement which is not what he OP bought, so they aren't replacing like with like. If the OP gets a refund from Apple they can buy AirPods and get them engraved for free, along with the advantage of not getting a refurb.

Op bought earphones with free engraving, can you make a claim for something you paid nothing for? Maybe you can, but redress in monetary sense for something that cost nothing is nothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,477 ✭✭✭Oops69

people engrave AirPods?? ,Slightly weird .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,915 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Dav010 wrote: »
    Op bought earphones with free engraving, can you make a claim for something you paid nothing for? Maybe you can, but redress in monetary sense for something that cost nothing is nothing.

The OP bought engraved airpods but Apple are replacing them with blank airports. So they get refunded for the airpods because Apple aren't replacing like with like and buy new ones which they can get Apple to engrave for free again.

Del2005 wrote: »
    The OP bought engraved airpods but Apple are replacing them with blank airports. So they get refunded for the airpods because Apple aren't replacing like with like and buy new ones which they can get Apple to engrave for free again.

Thanks for that, but the op did not buy engraved AirPods, he/she bought AirPods and then optioned a free offer to have them engraved, a subtle, but important difference. Let’s say the op paid extra for AirPods already engraved with a big heart, then they Apple must replace like with like or refund the full amount paid, including the extra cont of the engraving. So the op is making a SCC claim for a refund, even though Apple are replacing the AirPods? The engraving was free, it has no value, and the op does not get to choose which R.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭The Bishop Basher

Pick your battles wisely OP.

This is not a battle I would have thought worth the effort even if you were to “win” and get your €0 refunded but each to their own and all that.

the Airpods cost me €179, and that's what I'm claiming for. I understand I paid nothing for the engraving, but the engraving is listed as a 'feature', just check out the website and see for yourselves. The same way wireless charging would be a feature.

The Airpods were faulty when first bought, as agreed by Apple & Compu B. What I paid for was a new pair of Airpods with engraving. So does the mean I should just accept to take a pair of refurbished ones with no engraving?

The 'solution' I was offered most recently by Apple is to fill out a feedback form, which might find its way to some Apple guru who might change Apples policies to agree to replace engraved Airpods. How ridiculous is that.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,718 ✭✭✭Xterminator

Hi Op

many threads back i linked the law regarding replacements. forget how you feel for a moment and consider the law as it applies in this case
    "If you opt for a replacement, it should be the same as the item you bought, or of similar quality and price. You should not have to pay extra for a replacement and should be given the difference in price if the replacement costs less than the item you originally bought."

Are you arguing that the replacement offered of similar quality and price? they clearly are. Thus the small claims court is not likely to offer you a different redress. Apple don't have to offer the same item under law!

Are you arguing that apple customer care should look after you better ? Because they should. But the small claims court does not deal with apple customer care policies. Thats a matter for apple themselves and their customers.

I hope that apple don't turn up for you case and that way you might get a refund - it appears only a full refund would make you satisfied, from the options open to small claims court.

But are the refurbished Airpods of similar quality and price compared to new ones? It could be argued that they aren't, because Apple actually sell refurbished goods at a reduced price.

And were the earbuds unused you could argue that point. but you are asking to have a pair of used earbuds replaced.

if you buy a new car and drive it off the parking lot, it has depreciated in value. if you buy a pair of earbuds and use them this is also true. they are offering a like for like.

But if the new car you bought was a lovely dark blue but with the clutch slipping, and they offered you as a replacement, a bright pink car with a yellow racing stripe. Would that still be a like for like?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,621 ✭✭✭flexcon

These antidotes ain’t doing anyone favours now.

Best of luck with the case. Literally.

Hi OP

i hope my advice was of help.

i don't work for apple, or have any vested interest. If you think they are offering you pink airbuds with a stripe , so be it.
    Good luck, and like i said i hope apple dont bother turning up and you get a summary judgement.

• Advertisement

Your advice was helpful, thank you very much. Same said for everyones comments here, all very helpful information and advice. I wasn't trying to be smart with my antidotes or anything, just wanted to see if my view held any water.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,180 ✭✭✭kennethsmyth

the Airpods cost me €179, and that's what I'm claiming for. I understand I paid nothing for the engraving, but the engraving is listed as a 'feature', just check out the website and see for yourselves. The same way wireless charging would be a feature.

The Airpods were faulty when first bought, as agreed by Apple & Compu B. What I paid for was a new pair of Airpods with engraving. So does the mean I should just accept to take a pair of refurbished ones with no engraving?

The 'solution' I was offered most recently by Apple is to fill out a feedback form, which might find its way to some Apple guru who might change Apples policies to agree to replace engraved Airpods. How ridiculous is that.

A possible fix from Apple would of been offer apple credit (digital gift card) to the full amount, and then you repurchase airpods. Was this asked or offered?

A possible fix from Apple would of been offer apple credit (digital gift card) to the full amount, and then you repurchase airpods. Was this asked or offered?

Very good point. Was never offered and was never asked.

Hi everyone. Just to add some closure, I have filed a case with the small claims court a couple of months ago, but due to covid19, all of the cases have been frozen up until a week ago, when my case has been accepted.

Today I have received a call from an Apple representative, stating that they have received the letter from the small claims court, and that he has discussed with his legal team and they have decided to try and reach an agreement with me. They have offered a full refund, or a brand new replacement case with engraving. I have opted for the refund as I have bought another set of Airpods a couple of weeks ago.

So to end a lengthy ordeal, I have successfully won my case and am being issues a full refund. Today is a good day 😊

Excellent result. Apple finally came up with a good solution, that satisfied the customer.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

Excellent result. Apple finally came up with a good solution, that satisfied the customer.

It's great news, but let's not say Apple came up with a good solution, they just didn't want to go through the court system as they knew they'd lose.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,466 ✭✭✭skinny90

Sonics2k wrote: »
    It's great news, but let's not say Apple came up with a good solution, they just didn't want to go through the court system as they knew they'd lose.

this is a weird one tho. its almost like due the engraving (which should never be a problem anyways,) not covered in their returns policy the OP had to go down this route...it was always gonna be a win for the OP

• Registered Users Posts: 8,946 ✭✭✭duffman13

Sonics2k wrote: »

The cost of sending someone to represent them would be outweighed by the cost of just refunding, not an admission of defeat although its a win for the OP. Fair play on pushing it, id be pissed too if I were you

• Registered Users Posts: 1,621 ✭✭✭flexcon

Hi everyone. Just to add some closure, I have filed a case with the small claims court a couple of months ago, but due to covid19, all of the cases have been frozen up until a week ago, when my case has been accepted.

Today I have received a call from an Apple representative, stating that they have received the letter from the small claims court, and that he has discussed with his legal team and they have decided to try and reach an agreement with me. They have offered a full refund, or a brand new replacement case with engraving. I have opted for the refund as I have bought another set of Airpods a couple of weeks ago.

So to end a lengthy ordeal, I have successfully won my case and am being issues a full refund. Today is a good day 😊

Great news! Glad you got sorted

Very puzzled at being offered engraved Case with no AirPods inside. It's not doable.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,547 ✭✭✭rock22

Well done. And a lesson to those who advised you against going to court to vindicate your consumer rights.

Advertisement