Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Apple Airpods return/refund policy

Options
  • 06-02-2020 12:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭

Hi everyone,

I was wondering if anyone has more knowledge than me on this subject. So I have bought Airpods with an engraved message (from Apple online) for my fiancee as an engagement gift around 3 months ago.

In early January the right Airpod starting playing up (battery issues). We immediately rang Apple and told them about the issue. The issue is through no fault of her own, she didn't drop the headphones or anything. We discussed with Apple that the ideal thing to do is to wait and see does the issue go away, and if not, bring it into a recognized Apple vendor here in Ireland.

Low and behold the issue didn't go away, so we brought it in to Compu B for repair last week. They have found that there is an issue with the case, and not the right airpod as originally thought. They have deemed the case to be faulty and not repairable.

So we rang up Apple last night to find out what the next step is. They have told us that they can send us a replacement case, but this would not be engraved. We do not want to accept that as the reason I have bought the Airpods from them is that they come engraved. I would expect the case to be replaced with a like for like case (one that is engraved) as their product is faulty, and failing that, a refund.

They have refused to give either (an engraved case or refund). Does anyone have a recommendation on what to do next?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,621 ✭✭✭flexcon

cr-07 wrote: »
    Hi everyone,

I was wondering if anyone has more knowledge than me on this subject. So I have bought Airpods with an engraved message (from Apple online) for my fiancee as an engagement gift around 3 months ago.

In early January the right Airpod starting playing up (battery issues). We immediately rang Apple and told them about the issue. The issue is through no fault of her own, she didn't drop the headphones or anything. We discussed with Apple that the ideal thing to do is to wait and see does the issue go away, and if not, bring it into a recognized Apple vendor here in Ireland.

Low and behold the issue didn't go away, so we brought it in to Compu B for repair last week. They have found that there is an issue with the case, and not the right airpod as originally thought. They have deemed the case to be faulty and not repairable.

So we rang up Apple last night to find out what the next step is. They have told us that they can send us a replacement case, but this would not be engraved. We do not want to accept that as the reason I have bought the Airpods from them is that they come engraved. I would expect the case to be replaced with a like for like case (one that is engraved) as their product is faulty, and failing that, a refund.

They have refused to give either (an engraved case or refund). Does anyone have a recommendation on what to do next?

I have a wealth of experience in this area.

Apple is obliged to replace these AirPods under consumer law. You also have manufacturing warranty protection.

Apple normally if it’s under 30 days will take the report from AppleCare and send out brand new engraved replacement. However 3 months is more than likely a no go.

In terms of engraving this is not applicable. Engraving is exclusively offered by Apple online via its online store. Refurb replacements don’t have engraving as they are already packaged.

Basically if you are outside return period you are entitled to replacement device but it doesn’t cover engraving as the replacement device is already boxed and sealed.

Advice - unless you can properly
    Kick off and get up the line you won’t get a replacement with engraving after 3 months. If you bought them after 14th November and called AppleCare to report issue before 8th of Jan, then report back. You might have a way of getting it sorted if you fall on that period.

• Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭cr-07

Thanks for your reply. Very frustrating situation. I have been kicking off since last night, talking to ump-teen number of senior reps. They keep saying that they will only replace it with a case that is not engraved, but this is not what I ordered.

I feel like it's the equivalent of buying a banana, but the banana (case w/ engraving) was rotten inside when I went to eat it, so I requested to get a replacement banana, but they will only replace it with an orange (plain case). This is not what I ordered, so I would like a refund.

Very frustrated.

Thanks for your reply. Very frustrating situation. I have been kicking off since last night, talking to ump-teen number of senior reps. They keep saying that they will only replace it with a case that is not engraved, but this is not what I ordered.

I feel like it's the equivalent of buying a banana, but the banana (case w/ engraving) was rotten inside when I went to eat it, so I requested to get a replacement banana, but they will only replace it with an orange (plain case). This is not what I ordered, so I would like a refund.

Very frustrated.

When did you order the AirPods? And when was first time you contacted them about the issue?

Ordered on the 23rd Sept 2019, called them first on 26th Dec 2019. Is there a consumer law in which they must refund if given faulty good(s)?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,723 ✭✭✭Xterminator

nope. consumer law states they must offer you one of the 3 rs

repair
    replace
    refund

in the case of replacement the cpcc say
    Replacement

If it is impossible to repair the item, or if it is more convenient than repairing it, then the seller may replace it for you. For example, if you bought a laptop and it overheated, causing significant damage, it may be very difficult or even impossible for the seller to fix the laptop so they may offer to replace it instead. If you opt for a replacement, it should be the same as the item you bought, or of similar quality and price. You should not have to pay extra for a replacement and should be given the difference in price if the replacement costs less than the item you originally bought.

so if you paid extra for engraving, you would be entitled to a refund of that fee if the value of the replacement item is that much less than you actually paid.

• Advertisement

nope. consumer law states they must offer you one of the 3 rs

repair
    replace
    refund

in the case of replacement the cpcc say

so if you paid extra for engraving, you would be entitled to a refund of that fee if the value of the replacement item is that much less than you actually paid.

I didn't pay anything extra for the engraving.

And do I get to choose \ reject the 'R' which they offer me? For example, their first choice was repair - but the Airpods were not repairable. Second, they offered me a replacement, but they are not able to replace the same item as I bought (Airpods + engraving). I do not want the Airpods unless they are engraved with my message.

Thanks for your explanation btw!

Just wondering if I start reciting consumer law to them will they budge at all, aslong as I'm in the right ofcourse and not just speaking out my a**. Out of curiosity actually, if I bring this case to the small claims court would I have a leg to stand on?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭Batgurl

Just wondering if I start reciting consumer law to them will they budge at all, aslong as I'm in the right ofcourse and not just speaking out my a**. Out of curiosity actually, if I bring this case to the small claims court would I have a leg to stand on?

You don’t get to choose the R.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,734 ✭✭✭thomas 123

Worked there for 4 years, you can’t get it replaced with the engraving. They will tell you to have your legal console write to theirs if you go on with consumer law.

Maybe get the replacement set, sell them, but herself a new engraved set.

It’s exactly as the other person mentioned above - replacements are packed in cheaper packaging and don’t come with the books and accessories, they would essentially be a new set though so it’s not all terrible!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,938 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

I'd push for a refund and then order new engraved ones. If they don't play ball then small claims could be an option as they aren't replacing like with like to get a refund.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,180 ✭✭✭kennethsmyth

Yeah the only thing is the engraving was free. They could say that this is a separate service and only can be applied on purchase. As such distinct from the actual purchase of the airpods.

Balls to it, I'm going to go into CompuB on Saturday and see can they resolve the issue for me. If not, I'll try one last time to resolve it over the phone with Apple Online, failing that, I'll make an attempt at the small claims court.

Thanks everyone for the help and suggestions.

Balls to it, I'm going to go into CompuB on Saturday and see can they resolve the issue for me. If not, I'll try one last time to resolve it over the phone with Apple Online, failing that, I'll make an attempt at the small claims court.

Thanks everyone for the help and suggestions.

Compub are an authorised reseller, they can help with the fix and possible new airpods but the engraving is out of their hands - do not kick off with them.

I can't see the small claims court working in your favour here. The item you bought was a set of airpods and the company has said they'll replace them. The engraving was a free courtesy service and not charged for.

€25 for the small claims court would get the airpods laser engraved professionally yourself and assured your outcome. Even if you win the small claim the 25 euro is not returned - its a fee

• Registered Users Posts: 14,186 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

Del2005 wrote: »
    I'd push for a refund and then order new engraved ones. If they don't play ball then small claims could be an option as they aren't replacing like with like to get a refund.

Would it not seem odd to spend €25 on getting a refund on something which was free? Apple could just say they will refund what you paid for the engraving, €0.

Dav010 wrote: »
    Would it not seem odd to spend €25 on getting a refund on something which was free? Apple could just say they will refund what you paid for the engraving, €0.

You could argue that a replacement without engraving isn't a proper replacement, even though free the OP bought an engraved airpod and is only getting a blank replacement . So if their replacement isn't similar you can push for a refund and then buy engraved ones with the refund money.

Del2005 wrote: »
    You could argue that a replacement without engraving isn't a proper replacement, even though free the OP bought an engraved airpod and is only getting a blank replacement . So if their replacement isn't similar you can push for a refund and then buy engraved ones with the refund money.

Let’s put it this way. All engraved iPads, iPods, AirPods that end up developing a fault
    In the warranty period do NOT get engraving on replacement.end off

There is no exception to this. I can’t say it more clearly without being obvious to how I would know this.

The only way would be a serious escalation, or other context they could warrant being pushed up 3 lines of command. It rarely happens.

On a personal note though I feel for you. I would feel hard done by too. Apple has made a conscious decision that on balance they
    Would rather loose you and a few like you as a customer over the costs of arranging a different dispatch for Refurb engraving.

flexcon wrote: »
    Let’s put it this way. All engraved iPads, iPods, AirPods that end up developing a fault
    In the warranty period do NOT get engraving on replacement.end off

There is no exception to this. I can’t say it more clearly without being obvious to how I would know this.

The only way would be a serious escalation, or other context they could warrant being pushed up 3 lines of command. It rarely happens.

On a personal note though I feel for you. I would feel hard done by too. Apple has made a conscious decision that on balance they
    Would rather loose you and a few like you as a customer over the costs of arranging a different dispatch for Refurb engraving.

I'm not the OP BTW.

It's been explained why you can't get a replacement engraved Airpod. But our law trumps Apple's policies and since they aren't replacing like with like our law allows for the consumer to reject their offer of a replacement, as it's not what they bought, and get a refund. The OP can then order new Airpods and get them engraved. Too many companies think that the law that applies in their country applies where ever they trade it doesn't and they need to learn that.

• Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭Tomrota

I have vast experience with Apple and replacing Apple products. I even got a 4S upgraded to a 5S back in the day due to problems.

I think your best bet is saying what you think is right and then reciting consumer law. You could also ask to be put onto consumer relations department, you could ask the senior advisor. This is how a lot of replacements are pushed through.

I’m no lawyer but if you bought a product and it broke through no fault of your own, you should be entitled to the exact same product. For example if Apple replacement products didn’t have the Apple logo on it, that would be an issue. You didn’t pay extra for the Apple logo but you are being given a different product.

If the consumer relations doesn’t work, I would request a refund as you are not being given like for like.

Never believe anything Apple or any international company says. I once got talking to someone who told me “you need to pay for a replacement iPhone” when it broke after 13 months and I kindly informed them of the European legislation in this area. Needless to say, I got the replacement sorted very easily.

Tomrota wrote: »
    I have vast experience with Apple and replacing Apple products. I even got a 4S upgraded to a 5S back in the day due to problems.

I think your best bet is saying what you think is right and then reciting consumer law. You could also ask to be put onto consumer relations department, you could ask the senior advisor. This is how a lot of replacements are pushed through.

I’m no lawyer but if you bought a product and it broke through no fault of your own, you should be entitled to the exact same product. For example if Apple replacement products didn’t have the Apple logo on it, that would be an issue. You didn’t pay extra for the Apple logo but you are being given a different product.

If the consumer relations doesn’t work, I would request a refund as you are not being given like for like.

Never believe anything Apple or any international company says. I once got talking to someone who told me “you need to pay for a replacement iPhone” when it broke after 13 months and I kindly informed them of the European legislation in this area. Needless to say, I got the replacement sorted very easily.

This is different though. That is consumer law and happens regularly. You are right btw, but also remember it’s YOUR consumer law and companies do not have to actively push that to you.

OP best of luck with this. It’s going to be a few long calls and battles and pulling the heart strings of those reps you speak too.

Just Remember. Energy in energy out. Is it worth it? Apple have clearly
    Made it hard to do.

• Advertisement

There is no consumer relations department, what you got is because of an internal standard replacement policy Apple has in place.

flexcon wrote: »
    This is different though. That is consumer law and happens regularly. You are right btw, but also remember it’s YOUR consumer law and companies do not have to actively push that to you.

Companies don't have to actively push the law but when it's pointed out that they are acting outside of the law they should obey the law and not continue to push company policy. The OP isn't getting a like for like replacement so under our law they are entitled to the last R since the other 2 have been tried unsuccessfully, Refund.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,862 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

thomas 123 wrote: »
    There is no consumer relations department, what you got is because of an internal standard replacement policy Apple has in place.

Probably Customer relations. They are the ones that can do these sort of things.

whiterebel wrote: »
    Probably Customer relations. They are the ones that can do these sort of things.

Nothing will be done, the answer given at the end of all this is have your legal counsel write to Apples legal counsel, this is not something anyone on the phone can change.

You could also try email Tim cook on: tcook@apple.com and a special team will look into it then.

• Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭Tomrota

I meant customer relations or something. Can’t remember the name of the department but senior advisors have to send it either to the engineering team or customer relations to get a replacement that is outside Apple’s policies.

Apple’s policies existing don’t mean they are following the law. For example I bought an iPhone in Liffey Valley and I opened the box and it looked used and had a gigantic discolouration/scratch on it and they refused to replace it. I had picture proof it was there before I even took off the seal. They said I have the evidence but it’s an engineering problem so it lay with the manufacturer and not them. Most companies don’t follow consumer law.

I meant customer relations or something. Can’t remember the name of the department but senior advisors have to send it either to the engineering team or customer relations to get a replacement that is outside Apple’s policies.

Apple’s policies existing don’t mean they are following the law. For example I bought an iPhone in Liffey Valley and I opened the box and it looked used and had a gigantic discolouration/scratch on it and they refused to replace it. I had picture proof it was there before I even took off the seal. They said I have the evidence but it’s an engineering problem so it lay with the manufacturer and not them. Most companies don’t follow consumer law.

I was a Senior Tech Adviser, what you got again, was something that we can do. "why" determines who you speak with, Customer Relations/Tech. I assure you as special as they made you feel it is standard procedure.

I just don't want the OP smashing his head against the brick wall that is Apple, because I have tried my best for customers and no matter the case it was always a no with this sort of thing. I mean try, but best bet is the Tim Cook email or as I said earlier get the replacement set, sell them buy a new engraved set with a fresh warranty.

You would think something so friggin simple would be possible but for some reason Apple makes life hard.

I was a Senior Tech Adviser, what you got again, was something that we can do. "why" determines who you speak with, Customer Relations/Tech. I assure you as special as they made you feel it is standard procedure.

I will double down on this quote. Also have similar background.

It’s just a straight no. The system tools and procedures do not allow for the OP request. It’s not stubbornness from reps.

But again - best of luck with it I hope you do get somewhere somehow.
    I really mean that.

Compub are an authorised reseller, they can help with the fix and possible new airpods but the engraving is out of their hands - do not kick off with them.

I can't see the small claims court working in your favour here. The item you bought was a set of airpods and the company has said they'll replace them. The engraving was a free courtesy service and not charged for.

€25 for the small claims court would get the airpods laser engraved professionally yourself and assured your outcome. Even if you win the small claim the 25 euro is not returned - its a fee

Do you know whereabouts I can get the replacement case professionally engraved? I would be quite happy to do that, but wasn't sure if that was possible?

Nothing will be done, the answer given at the end of all this is have your legal counsel write to Apples legal counsel, this is not something anyone on the phone can change.

You could also try email Tim cook on: tcook@apple.com and a special team will look into it then.

Is this an actual and viable email address? Thanks very much if it is!

• Advertisement

Do you know whereabouts I can get the replacement case professionally engraved? I would be quite happy to do that, but wasn't sure if that was possible?

Weirs on Grafton street do it (machine type not sure if laser but they do it on pens etc.)

Advertisement