Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

M50 toll dodging

Options
  • 19-08-2018 10:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,996 ✭✭✭

Coming up to the toll earlier I had a 3 series right on my bumper, looked like he was trying to dodge the cameras. I thought they countered that by reading the rear plate too, or did they?

In any case, I floored it just before the gantry so his plate was read, bit weird.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 51,147 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

My understanding is they have cameras positioned to read both the front and rear number plates.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,001 ✭✭✭ayux4rj6zql2ph

bazz26 wrote: »
    My understanding is they have cameras positioned to read both the front and rear number plates.

Yes you’re correct. They changed it several years ago as the practice the OP experienced was regularly occurring.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,615 ✭✭✭ba_barabus

I still find morons trying it on the other tolls. Or going slow in front so you close the gap and the barrier opens for them. I now go slow through so I've plenty of reaction time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

How can you tell if he was trying to dodge the toll or if he was just the average BMW driver? ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,631 ✭✭✭Wildly Boaring

ba_barabus wrote: »
    I still find morons trying it on the other tolls. Or going slow in front so you close the gap and the barrier opens for them. I now go slow through so I've plenty of reaction time.

Yep majorly at watergrasshill. It's a bit slow anyway. Had a guy jump in in front of me one morning and crawl along. Caught me completely and shot through on my tag.

Won't fall for that again

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,315 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

Is there a way to report these dicks? Had one tailgate me through a toll booth a few days ago.

Yep majorly at watergrasshill. It's a bit slow anyway. Had a guy jump in in front of me one morning and crawl along. Caught me completely and shot through on my tag.

Won't fall for that again

You don't get charged for it as the computers pick up that you've gone through twice at the same time.

It's dangerous as fook when the cut you up at the last second to do it.

tuxy wrote: »
    How can you tell if he was trying to dodge the toll or if he was just the average BMW driver? ;)

Rarely ever a BMW driver. Nearly always a VW or Audi

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭JimmyAlfonso

You don't get charged for it as the computers pick up that you've gone through twice at the same time.

It's dangerous as fook when the cut you up at the last second to do it.

That barrier is a pain though, if you exceed 50kph it drops and you have to swing by the booth. Might explain the extreme slowing up of driver in front.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,996 ✭✭✭xabi

I had a better BMW than him :cool:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,515 ✭✭✭arleitiss

Was this M1 Fast Lane?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,881 ✭✭✭Peatys

arleitiss wrote: »
    Was this M1 Fast Lane?
    M50 BMW lane

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

I've had a few chancing the old trick of trying to crawl ahead of you in the express lane. It's brilliant when you can **** it up for them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,121 ✭✭✭amcalester

The barrier in the M1 came down and hit the top of your car one morning when a van did just that.

Frightened the **** out of me, now I always slow down until I see that the car in front has been tagged.

• Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭ExoPolitic

Rarely ever a BMW driver. Nearly always a VW or Audi

All the d**ks have swapped to Audis and VWs, I concur!

amcalester wrote: »
    The barrier in the M1 came down and hit the top of your car one morning when a van did just that.

Frightened the **** out of me, now I always slow down until I see that the car in front has been tagged.

I almost had the same in Portlaoise. Clipped the roof but no damage.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,627 Mod ✭✭✭✭tedpan

arleitiss wrote:
    Was this M1 Fast Lane?

Fast lane? We don't have those in Ireland

tedpan wrote: »

I mean express toll lane :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,881 ✭✭✭Peatys

tedpan wrote: »

You just think that cause you don't have a bmw

• Registered Users Posts: 3,609 ✭✭✭Lord Nikon

xabi wrote: »
    Coming up to the toll earlier I had a 3 series right on my bumper, looked like he was trying to dodge the cameras. I thought they countered that by reading the rear plate too, or did they?

In any case, I floored it just before the gantry so his plate was read, bit weird.

Perhaps you were driving too slow in the first place? Do you drive a Toyota?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,609 ✭✭✭Lord Nikon

LIGHTNING wrote: »
    What :confused:

He assumed the other driver was dodging the toll camera. One could argue the OP was driving too slow, and the other driver was right up behind him, because he was driving too slow or slowed down too much.

Lord Nikon wrote: »
    He assumed the other driver was dodging the toll camera. One could argue the OP was driving too slow, and the other driver was right up behind him, because he was driving too slow or slowed down too much.

How does tailgating help increase the speed of the car in front?

FFS are you for real? I was in lane one doing slightly over 100, in any case its no excuse for tailgating.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,750 ✭✭✭Avatar MIA

xabi wrote: »
    FFS are you for real? I was in lane one doing slightly over 100, in any case its no excuse for tailgating.

Or speeding :p:p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭m5ex9oqjawdg2i

Drivers that do this are twats.

• Registered Users Posts: 975 ✭✭✭decky1

IS it time tolls were done away with? how much a day do they make and where does the money go?

Or speeding :p:p

Only slightly speeding

• Registered Users Posts: 18,907 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

decky1 wrote: »
    IS it time tolls were done away with? how much a day do they make and where does the money go?

Tolls aren't going away, they are going to become ubiquitous. They can't lose the cash cow from motoring when we go to EV so the solution is charge per km

Del2005 wrote: »
    Tolls aren't going away, they are going to become ubiquitous. They can't lose the cash cow from motoring when we go to EV so the solution is charge per km

Yes tolls to pay for roads that the government won't fund. But of course they extend the dates as they make serious money. A quick google claims the m50 made €110m in 2014.

I've never driven a car in France but apparently they have a crazy amount of tolls, expect the same here in time. Good point on EV cars, the government are already looking for ways to get back money they have lost from motor tax because people are driving cars with lower CO2 emissions.

• Advertisement

Yes tolls to pay for roads that the government won't fund. But of course they extend the dates as they make serious money. A quick google claims the m50 made €110m in 2014.

I've never driven a car in France but apparently they have a crazy amount of tolls, expect the same here in time. Good point on EV cars, the government are already looking for ways to get back money they have lost from motor tax because people are driving cars with lower CO2 emissions.

Drove across France (From Paris to Alps, around 800 Km)

Paid well over 80 Euro in Tolls, was going on main motorway and there was a toll every 70/80 km or so.

Also I think they are taking down your average speed between toll points (Because I got fine in the post for speeding and motorway is the only road I drove on)

Advertisement