Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

***** Motors chat - round 12 *****

Options

Comments

I'd have thought with AWD there's little enough benefit of / need for launch control ?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,381 ✭✭✭vintagevrs

Launch control in the golf does two things. First it allows the engine to sit at 4k rpm and build boost. You can do that in a manual yourself, but not in an auto without stressing/preloading the transmission. 2nd thing it does is engages the clutch in the haldex system meaning you have 4wd from the go. Usually the golf is fwd and the haldex only engages the rear when it detects slip at the front. Launch negates this so there is no delay from the slip and haldex engaging as it is already done.

I am less familiar with the xDrive set up. I guess it's the same but in reverse with rwd normally and power to the front when slip at the rear.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,144 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

vintagevrs wrote: »
    So called BMW today about service cost. For an oil change they said€165. I mentioned 20% discount with that loyalty card thing and they said no problem. So that's €132, plus I'll get free wiper change which is needed. Not too bad.

I asked how much to change the microfilter too, and that with the oil change is €330. €165 for a cabin filter seems crazy. I'll get the oil done with though id say.

I also really don't get the idea that they will not update service history or reset service computer on car if car is serviced early. Why would they not?

€165 is cheap for a main dealer to change the oil on the 330d which takes over 7 litres, you sure they didn't think you said 320d? The microfilter price is a rip off from main dealers but €165 for that doesn't add up unless they quoted you for an oil change on a 320d instead of a 330d.

As for the dealer not updating the digital service history, no idea as to why they won't. When I was buying my 530d it needed the oil level sensor replaced (its a common enough problem on the F10) so the dealer sent it down to the nearby main dealer who replaced it along with changing the oil but never updated the digital service history or service interval. The dealer I bought the car from did show me the invoice from them for the job though.

Regarding launch control, yeah I got caught out like that the first time too, engine wasn't warm enough for it, thought it didn't have it at first until I googled it. Tried it properly but the novelty passed then.

• Registered Users Posts: 64,891 ✭✭✭✭unkel

Augeo wrote: »
    Frank Keane are doing a Special Offer June/July €95 down from €161 ......
    Drain all refrigerant
    Check system for leaks
    Recharge refrigerant and lubricant
    Check system operating pressures

Polish lad (very professional setup) in Park West charged just EUR45 when I put my last E46 coupe through there a bit under 2 years ago
    That's outrageous, who says the Germans don't have a sense of humour? An OEM pollen filter in an E46 can be had for about €20.

Bought a pollen filter in a big reputable motors factors in Dublin 10 for about €18 iirc for my last E46. A smokers car. I put it into the car on the spot.

Both of the above didn't really remove all of the "old man smell" as Voodoomelon will confirm as he now owns the car

• Registered Users Posts: 9,615 ✭✭✭ba_barabus

The e46 Is one if the few cars that the pollen filter is easy to fit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,540 ✭✭✭Leonard Hofstadter

ba_barabus wrote: »
    The e46 Is one if the few cars that the pollen filter is easy to fit.

It really is so easy to change, turn a couple of screws and that's it.

vintagevrs wrote: »
    I am less familiar with the xDrive set up. I guess it's the same but in reverse with rwd normally and power to the front when slip at the rear.

xDrive is permanent four wheel drive, 38:62 front:rear split *.

* with a couple of exceptions, such as the F90 M5 (which has multiple driving modes and can be RWD only - one passed by me the other day and that V8 still sounds as thunderous as ever) and the new 8 series only drives the front wheels when necessary. I presume the xDrive cars on the UKL platform are front wheel drive only most of the time and only engage drive to the correct wheels when necessary, but I neither know nor care about those.

Nice.... I love nice greys TBH. .... very classy imo

• Registered Users Posts: 4,655 ✭✭✭CIP4

OSI wrote: »
    Something even less interesting :p

Just a Tiguan TDI. Need something a lot more practical and frugal for a couple of years, so it will do.

Would there much of a difference in running costs I would have thought the GTI wouldn't be too bad, tax and insurance similar, maintenance a little lower on the Tiguan but marginal enough, Fuel wise would the GTI do 40mpg driving normally Tiguan probably 50mpg and then the cost difference between the fuel still not that big though or maybe I am missing something.

I get the practicality piece alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,655 ✭✭✭CIP4

OSI wrote: »
    40 is fanciful stuff in the GTI. You'll see it once on a decent N road focusing on nothing but economical driving. Over the last 3,000km I've averaged 32.

Ah ok that makes the difference more substantial alright.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,369 ✭✭✭Dartz

I did 32 mpg once....

I thought there was something wrong with the car

• Registered Users Posts: 12,917 ✭✭✭✭Toyotafanboi

Credit to "Because RaceCar" on Facebook.

FB_IMG_1532127351788.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,079 ✭✭✭Mervyn Skidmore

Thinking of looking at a 2004 Prius as a first car for the wife. 180K miles though and priced at €2000. Anything in particular to look out for or is it even worth a look?

• Registered Users Posts: 73,387 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Yellow German plates on a Citroen. Gotta love the midlands

0_CEBFF9_B-_DB26-4225-850_E-_C86_D2_B24_C307.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 5,130 ✭✭✭James Bond Junior

That's what happens when cousins marry.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭tcawley29

Never saw a set of yellow german plates before.
    Is this a new thing?
    Looks absolutely brutal to be fair.

German plates on french car makes them 10% more reliable I heard :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 64,891 ✭✭✭✭unkel

colm_mcm wrote: »
    Yellow German plates on a Citroen. Gotta love the midlands

Probably driving straight back home to Inishowen at speeds far beyond his control :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 51,144 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Just reading this, someone grafted E60 body panels to an E39 M5:

https://www.carthrottle.com/post/we-cant-unsee-this-e39-m5s-awkward-e60-bodywork-conversion/

e1fc724e91847cae8fc45a16e6309d9e.JPG

e2ab3f7c3e274e011476d36c06da2e24.JPG

Why the f*ck would you go do that?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,506 ✭✭✭Interslice

http://www.the42.ie/derek-daly-formula-1-4140901-Jul2018/

Good article on derek dalys journey to F1

• Registered Users Posts: 9,588 ✭✭✭tossy

bazz26 wrote: »

• Advertisement

bazz26 wrote: »

https://www.carthrottle.com/post/we-cant-unsee-this-e39-m5s-awkward-e60-bodywork-conversion/

The outside isn't even the worst part, I mean have you seen those seats:eek:?

Also, the mirrors are just standard E39 ones, not M5 of either variety!

• Registered Users Posts: 73,387 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

I kinda like it!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,917 ✭✭✭✭Toyotafanboi

It's different when you see them Eastern European fellas cobbling all the bits from something fancy onto the likes of a Lada or a wheelbarrow, but you'd think the sort of fella who already owns an E39 M5 would already appreciate it's beauty and not feel the need to bastardise it like that. It's almost as bad as the E36 M3 convertible with the expanding foam wide arch kit. The fit and finish is commendable though, it does look ok.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Foxhole Norman

The outside isn't even the worst part, I mean have you seen those seats:eek:?

Also, the mirrors are just standard E39 ones, not M5 of either variety!

Those mirrors from what I can tell I think are the E38 folding set though to be fair, not that it in any way makes it better :D:D

I drove this around some windy and hairpin Kerry roads today. Brilliant fun but I wouldn't have one.

20180722_225751.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,506 ✭✭✭Interslice

What car is it jbj? Gorgeous colours.

Interslice wrote: »
    What car is it jbj? Gorgeous colours.

It is a Morgan 4/4. They can still be bought new, the above is a 2010 and only has barely 5 figure km up on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,854 ✭✭✭✭MetzgerMeister

Why wouldn't you have one?

Why wouldn't you have one?

Just wouldn't be my cup of tea. It is VERY harsh and Irish roads are so rough that I don't think you could drive it very hard without losing it. The road was dead dry yesterday and I wasn't caning it but the rear wheel still lost traction easily. It would be FANTASTIC on a smooth track but not on uneven Irish pockmarked roads. And the price of one is insane.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Just wouldn't be my cup of tea. It is VERY harsh and Irish roads are so rough that I don't think you could drive it very hard without losing it. The road was dead dry yesterday and I wasn't caning it but the rear wheel still lost traction easily. It would be FANTASTIC on a smooth track but not on uneven Irish pockmarked roads. And the price of one is insane.

Probably has landsails fitted....

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement