Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Hyundai Ioniq 28kWh

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭Madisonmenece

irishgeo wrote: »
    I do over 24000kms a year. Was looking at the plugin hybrid. Anyone have one who does that sort of travel.

Doing over 1k a week at the moment all home charge , and done a west cork to mayo with only one fast charge in between but is near empty on arrival

• Registered Users Posts: 1,122 ✭✭✭BigAl81

Old diesel wrote:
    Did the journey go okay in the end

Ended up having to do some unexpected local millage up north before setting off so only had 150kms in the tank for a 170kms trip. That meant we had to do a splash and dash at at the Applegreen rapid.

Had a moment of panic when there was an error on the machine at the first charge attempt, but second time lucky. I was delighted the rapid was available, was dreading arriving and having to wait!

Very jealous sitting there looking out at the 8 empty Tesla superchargers, roll on Ionity!!

I averaged about 16kWh consumption on the trip and went 110kmph on the motorway with adaptive cruise and LKAS on and it was 2 degrees outside.

That would give me a range of 175kms in this weather.

The Lane Keep Assist is ok, but not Tesla good. It veered over the line into the hard shoulder a few times with no beeps or warnings. It's kind of cool to see the steering wheel move itself, but I'd only score it 5 out of 10 for accuracy.

First long trip in the car, and happy with it but practical range at this time of year if there's any motorway driving involved is about 170ish, I was hoping for just a little more.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,027 ✭✭✭ei9go

unkel wrote: »
    It happens to all Ioniqs before the firmware fix of over a year ago. The dealer will apply the fix for free.

Any chance of telling me the firmware version he needs. Thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,236 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

BigAl81 wrote: »
    Ended up having to do some unexpected local millage up north before setting off so only had 150kms in the tank for a 170kms trip. That meant we had to do a splash and dash at at the Applegreen rapid.

Had a moment of panic when there was an error on the machine at the first charge attempt, but second time lucky. I was delighted the rapid was available, was dreading arriving and having to wait!

Very jealous sitting there looking out at the 8 empty Tesla superchargers, roll on Ionity!!

I averaged about 16kWh consumption on the trip and went 110kmph on the motorway with adaptive cruise and LKAS on and it was 2 degrees outside.

That would give me a range of 175kms in this weather.

The Lane Keep Assist is ok, but not Tesla good. It veered over the line into the hard shoulder a few times with no beeps or warnings. It's kind of cool to see the steering wheel move itself, but I'd only score it 5 out of 10 for accuracy.

First long trip in the car, and happy with it but practical range at this time of year if there's any motorway driving involved is about 170ish, I was hoping for just a little more.
    That to me sounds like you have the wrong setting on.
    Theres a setting in the menu for the LKAS, you can have it set to off, on or active. The default is "on". If you set to active you can drive on the motorway and it drives perfectly without assistance even taking the turns on the motorway etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,740 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

ei9go wrote: »
    Any chance of telling me the firmware version he needs. Thanks

Can't remember off the top of my head, but the version is posted in this thread a few times. I think any version that isn't 2016 is good (you can see the year in the code string of the firmware in the settings in the menu)

He needs to give his dealer a kick up their hole anyway. They really should know about it. And if not, they should just download the latest version and install it. Every Hyundai dealer in the country knows how to do that.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,404 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

irishgeo wrote: »
    I do over 24000kms a year. Was looking at the plugin hybrid. Anyone have one who does that sort of travel.

Plug in Hybrid wont have any range issues, the battery will only get you so far though. If your commute is relatively short and you can charge at work it's possible you could get away with using little to no fuel with the plug in. The EV is actually a bit cheaper I think, you could probably get away with it on that mileage.

I'm no expert though, just someone considering the leap to EV myself, I would have slightly less mileage than you.

Whether or not you should buy PHEV or BEV Ioniq doesn't depend on your annual mileage, it depends on the driving pattern you do and the charging options you have.

Tell us more about yours, irishgeo. And we will give you the pros and cons about both cars for your situation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭Fiery mutant

Just back from a few days in Vienna with the wife, and I must have seen upwards of 15 Ioniqs over the course of the 4 days we were there, including a few being used as taxi’s. The streets aren’t clogged like the streets of Dublin, and public transport is very efficient over there, so it was great to see so many being used in that environment.

Oh and Vienna is beautiful too, if anyone is thinking of going.

We should defend our way of life to an extent that any attempt on it is crushed, so that any adversary will never make such an attempt in the future.

Whether or not you should buy PHEV or BEV Ioniq doesn't depend on your annual mileage, it depends on the driving pattern you do and the charging options you have.

Tell us more about yours, irishgeo. And we will give you the pros and cons about both cars for your situation.

I can see no reason to buy the PHEV, other than an outlier use case of ~50km round trips daily and one super long 400km trip at the weekend or something. In which case the phev would fit but you're doing the vast majority of miles on the petrol engine and not benefiting from the electric drivetrain.
    You'd be better off buying a cheaper fossil fuel car or buying the proper Ioniq. IE the one with no exhaust.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,822 ✭✭✭Old diesel

PHEVs are too much faffing around imo.

Normal Hybrid or pure EV are the options to consider in my view.

Toyota for normal hybrid as they have a nice efficient set up or Hyundai for EV is how I see it.

There's an argument to be made for the Ioniq HEV (ie the non plugin hybrid) but afaik they stopped selling them in favor of the phev model.

Toyota are where it's at (despite the downright moronic "self charging" ads) for HEVs, and I agree that Hyundai/Kia seem to be where it's at for non-luxury BEVs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,136 ✭✭✭✭KCross

ELM327 wrote: »
    I can see no reason to buy the PHEV, other than an outlier use case of ~50km round trips daily and one super long 400km trip at the weekend or something. In which case the phev would fit but you're doing the vast majority of miles on the petrol engine and not benefiting from the electric drivetrain.
    You'd be better off buying a cheaper fossil fuel car or buying the proper Ioniq. IE the one with no exhaust.

Thats not really an outlier scenario though. Anecdotally I'd say that fits alot of peoples usage scenarios.

Short daily commutes (shop, school, sports etc) and then longer journeys at weekends and holidays. 50km is a decent distance for the local daily stuff and it would be all in BEV mode.

Old diesel wrote: »
    PHEVs are too much faffing around imo.

Normal Hybrid or pure EV are the options to consider in my view.

Toyota for normal hybrid as they have a nice efficient set up or Hyundai for EV is how I see it.

The problem is that hybrid's are not really that much better than petrol/diesel equivalents. They are better but not significantly so.

BEV is the ideal but unfortunately the long range ones are ridiculous price.... €40k for a Kia/Hyundai!

So, if a short range BEV doesnt suit the PHEV is a viable alternative that gives you BEV for your daily trips and ICE for your long trips. Its not ideal but a PHEV that does 50km in BEV mode everyday is going to be better than a hybrid (which is still 100% ICE).

It's down to what your daily mileage is. They have an important place in the market until "cheap" long range BEV's become the norm (and thats some years away).

There's an argument to be made for the Ioniq HEV (ie the non plugin hybrid) but afaik they stopped selling them in favor of the phev model.

Toyota are where it's at (despite the downright moronic "self charging" ads) for HEVs, and I agree that Hyundai/Kia seem to be where it's at for non-luxury BEVs.

I might do a thread later on how I see the PHEV rather then derail this thread too much.

Provided both PHEV and BEV can cover the normal daily mileage, it's down to whether or not there is a significant number of longer distances (beyond the range of the BEV) and if so, the possibility to public fast charge on those trips and the willingness of the owner to do so

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,136 ✭✭✭✭KCross

Provided both PHEV and BEV can cover the normal daily mileage, it's down to whether or not there is a significant number of longer distances (beyond the range of the BEV) and if so, the possibility to public fast charge on those trips and the willingness of the owner to do so

Thats kind of it really. Its an individual circumstances thing. Not black or white.

There are a few variables that make PHEV viable right now but most of those variables are short term issues (cost of long range BEV is too high and not enough charge points being the main two but also availability of long range BEV).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 381 ✭✭sean72

sean72 wrote: »
    Can anyone tell me if the LED light above the type 2 port on the 2019 ioniq is new? It’s caused an issue for me with my home charger

hey all would anyone know the answer to this?

sean72 wrote: »
    hey all would anyone know the answer to this?
    There's an LED light above the type 2 in mine (2017).
    I find it useless and still have to resort to the torch on my phone if no other light is available.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 381 ✭✭sean72

There's an LED light above the type 2 in mine (2017).
    I find it useless and still have to resort to the torch on my phone if no other light is available.

does it interfere with ccs fast charging connectors?

No, not that I'm aware of anyway.
    It sometimes takes one or two goes to start the CCS charging sessions but I hadn't noticed whether it only occurred when the light was illuminated.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,122 ✭✭✭BigAl81

sean72 wrote:
    does it interfere with ccs fast charging connectors?

Not for me on my 2019 Ioniq anyway. I've done 4 rapid charges on 4 different machines and no issues at all.

Do you mean you can't get the connector into the port in the car because the light is blocking it??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 250 ✭✭fguinan

Any idea when the 38kwh ioniq will be available? I presume when they say September 2019 it will be Jan 2020 at the earliest in ireland?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭deegs

zg3409 wrote: »
    >You probably need to go onto the “off->peak tariffs”menu to tell it to charge only >after midnight (

This is correct. But beware if you ever try charge during the day for example at a public charger, IT WILL NOT CHARGE until this timer is disabled. There is a handy button beside the charging cap release button, to disable the timer. This has caught out many an ioniq owner when charging daytime. So from now on if a charger does not work, check the timer is off.

So second day into my 250km work commute.
    Car charing and preheating perfectly at home.
    At work I overide charge schedule (physical button) and connect and it seems to charge... however I checked today and yesterday at lunch and it hasnt charged at all.
    i turnon car go into schedule charge menu on touchscreen and select charge now and it works fine. Any reason my physical button is not working?

I'll try to connect the cable first tomorrow and then press the overide button. Very odd.

deegs wrote: »
    So second day into my 250km work commute.
    Car charing and preheating perfectly at home.
    At work I overide charge schedule (physical button) and connect and it seems to charge... however I checked today and yesterday at lunch and it hasnt charged at all.
    i turnon car go into schedule charge menu on touchscreen and select charge now and it works fine. Any reason my physical button is not working?

I'll try to connect the cable first tomorrow and then press the overide button. Very odd.
    You have to connect the cable and the last thing to do before leaving the car to charge is to press the override button.
    In my experience it doesn't work in any other order.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭fricatus

You have to connect the cable and the last thing to do before leaving the car to charge is to press the override button.
    In my experience it doesn't work in any other order.

I second this. I've tried it both ways, but override button last seems to be the only way that works.

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭cloughy

just got a call from a dealer on the Long Mile Road, as I was enquiring about a Test Drive of Ioniq, and his reply was they dont have any stock, no demo models, no idea when they may have them in, so all in all not much help. I know there is the new version with the bigger engine coming out, but without a model to test and look at how can anyone make a decision on what to buy.

Anyone know any dealers in Dublin who have a demo model ?

Just ring them all. You might have a better chance with Michael Barrable in Swords

Which of the new owners will kindly take it upon himself to do up an updated boards.ie Ioniq EV owners list here?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,884 ✭✭✭zg3409

cloughy wrote: »
    just got a call from a dealer on the Long Mile Road, as I was enquiring about a Test Drive of Ioniq, and his reply was they dont have any stock, no demo models, no idea when they may have them in, so all in all not much help. I know there is the new version with the bigger engine coming out, but without a model to test and look at how can anyone make a decision on what to buy.

Anyone know any dealers in Dublin who have a demo model ?

Fairview motors have an ioniq:

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/hyundai-ioniq-ev-full-electric-showroom-model/20848794#xtor=EPR-4-%5BsearchAlert%5D-20190123-%5BviewMatchingAd%5D-521001@1

zg3409 wrote: »
    A non white one, that's a unicorn.

Priced accordingly too, 2k dearer than a brand new one!

Aurora Silver, now that is rare!

Had ordered that initially, but went for Platinum Silver instead. Would love to see Aurora Silver in the real, might drive past Fairview to have a look :D

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,404 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

There's a black one at the dealers in castlebar, looks really well. I like the blue too but after seeing black in person I'd probably go for that.

Phantom Black is a great colour on Ioniq. Needs the grill wrapped in glossy black even more than the other colours though.

Aurora Silver, now that is rare!

Had ordered that initially, but went for Platinum Silver instead. Would love to see Aurora Silver in the real, might drive past Fairview to have a look :D
    The other Ioniq at work, a 191 one, is the same color.
    Looks weird parked beside my black one.

For me I think my favorite colors for Ioniq are the blue , the black, and then the aurora silver. In that order.

You got your grill wrapped yet or are you planning to?

Makes a big difference :)

No, and no respectively.
    I saw a black one with the grille wrapped and it looks awful IMO (no offense, subjective opinion)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 761 ✭✭✭p15574

Went to a dealer yesterday ready to bite the bullet on a deal...except he said he has only one Ioniq coming in for the rest of the year, and he won't do scrappage on it. Pity supply is so bad when there are customers with wallets open. After researching this for ages, now having to step back from going electric unless I can find a dealer with supply and scrappage.

p15574 wrote: »
    Went to a dealer yesterday ready to bite the bullet on a deal...except he said he has only one Ioniq coming in for the rest of the year, and he won't do scrappage on it. Pity supply is so bad when there are customers with wallets open. After researching this for ages, now having to step back from going electric unless I can find a dealer with supply and scrappage.

Is it not Hyundai Irelands decision what comes under scrappage or not.

Perhaps I'm interpreting you wrongly but your post makes it sound as if the dealer is deciding off his own back what he will do on scrappage.

Because otherwise hed say.....

"Scrappage is only to a certain date in terms of the new car been registered".

Or "Ioniq is not coming under the scrappage offer".

Went to a dealer?

You will need to work a bit harder than that ;)

There are 30 Hyundai dealers in Ireland. If you want an Ioniq, with scrappage, you will need to contact them all. Ioniq EV is scarce. Getting a brand new one for just €26k on the road requires serious effort. And a bit of luck.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,912 ✭✭✭Mike9832

Perhaps I'm interpreting you wrongly but your post makes it sound as if the dealer is deciding off his own back what he will do on scrappage.

Limerick and Mallow for def do scrappage

Was there few weeks ago

Ring them

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 970 ✭✭✭oinkely

When I was sourcing one for my mother last year the local garge (Deansgrange) would not offer scrappage on one. Flat out refused. The guy in Naas was more than happy to offer €3500 scrappage as far as I recall. So bought it from them. She is delighted with the move, and loves the car, even though she could only pick from white at the time.

Yes, I was under the impression it was a Hyundai thing too (and the Hyundai Ireland website says they do scrappage on Ioniqs) but the dealer's words were that "*I* won't be doing scrappage as *I* wouldn't make any money on it". I think he was using the stock shortage to his advantage.

Yes, I'll have to visit more dealers to try and get a deal, but you'd think it'd be a standard offer you could stay local with. Another factor is that I don't fancy trying to nurse my car long distances when picking up the new one. I haven't bought a car since 2006, I didn't realise it would be hassle buying new, I thought dealers would be glad of business.

I was in a different dealer before Christmas and got a quote for the 26.5K thing (30K rrp - 3.5k scrappage and 500 deposit), it will be interesting to see if they are sticking to that or have changed their terms now, based on incoming stock shortages. I was hoping to be able to play these two dealers off against each other but it looks to me like this one doesn't need my business, with only one car coming in 2019 it seems it's a sellers market.

oinkely wrote: »
    When I was sourcing one for my mother last year the local garge (Deansgrange) would not offer scrappage on one. Flat out refused. The guy in Naas was more than happy to offer €3500 scrappage as far as I recall. So bought it from them.

That's the garage I went to.

I didn't realise it would be hassle buying new, I thought dealers would be glad of business.

Read just a few pages of this thread and you'll realise the car is scarce, most dealers have none and won't get any. The scrappage offer is from Hyundai Ireland, but it is interpreted completely differently by most of the dealers, and many of them won't even entertain it

Buying an Ioniq EV for €25k-€26k is not just going into any dealer and filling in an order form. It involves a bit of work, but when you are successful, you will own a very good car that will have very, very low depreciation, and that on top of it being an efficient reliable EV means very low total cost of ownership

For me, that was well worth the day it took me to approach all the dealers, communicate, negotiate and finalise the deal. This week two years ago :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 970 ✭✭✭oinkely

That's the garage I went to.

naas or deansgrange?

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 8,061 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

Hutton & Meade offered the scrappage as per the Hyundai Ireland website. The way the guy it explained it to me, was that the 4k is from Hyundai Ireland to dealer so didn't really affect them at all. Then they have a bonus old car they can flog for a couple of quid.

• Advertisement

oinkely wrote: »
    naas or deansgrange?

Sorry, Deansgrange is the one that wouldn't do scrappage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭deegs

liamog wrote: »
    Hutton & Meade offered the scrappage as per the Hyundai Ireland website. The way the guy it explained it to me, was that the 4k is from Hyundai Ireland to dealer so didn't really affect them at all. Then they have a bonus old car they can flog for a couple of quid.
    Same Hyundai Ireland were giving them the 4000 regardless of the car I gave them. So it makes no sense it wouldn't be money making for him.
    Only thing is the terms for scrappage only come up in December and July. Next lot of 28k ionics coming in March and could be it for the year. Next batch could be 38ks... Hope I don't crash mine!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,563 ✭✭✭eagerv

Looked at one this morning with a white wrapped front.

Didn't think it looked great..

I dislike the wrapped fronts. And I had all intentions of getting mine wrapped initially too.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 8,061 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

They've a habit of extending the scrappage deal a couple of months. In December it will say ends 31/12, then get's extended. I think they had the offer running for at least 6 of the 12 months last year.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement