Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ultimate Battle of Mexico

Options
12345679»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,311 ✭✭✭✭Collie D

Guerrero for the Jaguar lad and the other one is a bit ****.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,777 ✭✭✭KathleenGrant

Guerrero
    The flag of the state of Guerrero is, like most current Mexican state flags, the coat of arms centered on a white field.
    The coat of arms of Guerrero was adopted in 1951. Its shield is charged with a Jaguar warrior; the crest shows an Aztec headdress.

Chihuahua

The flowers on the upper section are apple tree flowers, which represent the state, as Chihuahua is the main apple producer in Mexico.

The main body of the shield outlined by a laurel wreath symbolises the triumphs of the people of Chihuahua.

The bigger section on the top has a blue field for the sky and the three main hills of the City of Chihuahua. Also included are a mining hoist, a portion of the aqueduct of the state's capital and a mesquite tree, all representative of the state.

The central section has a field with sixteen pieces which represent the votes to and against the foundation of the City of Chihuahua. Over them are the faces of a Spaniard and a Tarahumara looking at each other which represent the different races. The lower section, with a blue field, the front of the Cathedral of Chihuahua in gold.
    The words "VALENTÍA, LEALTAD, HOSPITALIDAD" mean "Courage, Loyalty, Hospitality" in Spanish.

I absolutely love the symbolism and colour of the Chihuaua flag but the combination of the jaguar warrior and the Aztec headdress swing it for me

Guerrero

• Registered Users Posts: 2,509 ✭✭✭Purgative

Guerrero Jaguar man all the way

• Registered Users Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭ari101

Ah Guerrero, I have issues with both but this is simpler and the dude is wearing a cat suit ;)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 22,311 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

Guerrero for the Aztec warrior

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

I've seen enough, this needs a mercy killing.

Guerrero advances to the final

This is the grand final of the Ultimate Battle of Mexico. We will announce the winner of this competition at 9PM. Your finalists are;
    Tlaxcala

State Capital: Tlaxcala

thumb2-flag-of-tlaxcala-4k-silk-flag-mexican-state-tlaxcala-flag.jpg

Group A Runner-Up
    Round 2 def. Puebla
    QF Final def. Jalisco
    SF Final def. Coahuila

VS

Guerrero

State Capital: Chilpancingo

thumb2-flag-of-guerrero-4k-silk-flag-mexican-state-guerrero-flag.jpg

Group C Winner
    Round 2 def. Oaxaca
    QF Final def. Chiapas
    SF Final def. Chihuahua

Do we PM or vote on thread? I got this wrong last time :D

Vote here or in PM Omack?

• Registered Users Posts: 85,351 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

I'll vote for

Tlaxcala

State Capital: Tlaxcala

• Advertisement

In Mayan mythology, the jaguar was seen as one of the rulers of the “Xibalbá” (the Underworld) and as such, a symbol of the night sun and darkness.

The Jaguar Warriors were members of one of the most elite military units of the Aztec empire. The knights of their kingdom, they were full-time soldiers whose ferocity on the battlefield was unmatched. Off the battlefield, they were expected to exhibit equally strong leadership skills.

Both the jaguar and eagle Aztec warriors wore distinguishing helmets and uniforms. The jaguars were identifiable by the jaguar skins they wore over their entire body, with only their faces showing from within the jaguar head. The eagle Aztec warriors, on the other hand, wore feathered helmets including an open beak.

Interest reading I think.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,160 Mod ✭✭✭✭cdeb

I like the red and white, but Guerrero has to win here. It's white and a crest, like most of the Mexican flags, so it's an appropriate winner. And it's got something weird but not too out there in the crest, in jaguar man. Guerrero.

Guerrero man in a cat suit

ari101 wrote: »
    Do we PM or vote on thread? I got this wrong last time :D
    Vote here or in PM Omack?

Apologies, on thread is fine here folks!!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,271 ✭✭✭Barna77

Guerrero
    It's more Mexican than the other one, which could be anywhere in Spain. The irony ....:pac:

Guerrero - Not seeing whatever everyone else is on the other one. Plus jaguar man.

Guerrero for me.
    I love the jaguar warrior and the Aztec headdress. Striking and a symbol of an ancient heritage. The colours, the shape, the symbolism....everything.

Tlaxcala gets my vote, overall it is my favourite flag of the bunch, I feel bad that it is a lot in part to the simple addition of red but it is the better flag :)

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,282 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Guerrero, it's got a man wearing a wild animal, what other reason to vote for it do you need?

And your winner...... Jaguar Man
    il_fullxfull.856895576_57z4_large.jpeg

Guerrero wins the Ultimate Battle of Mexico

• Advertisement

Thanks for running

Good result a worthy winner.

Thanks for running it Mack, I enjoyed and learnt a bit on the way.

Not my fav but this is a democratic process ;)

Thanks Mack!!! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,271 ✭✭✭Barna77

tenor.gif?itemid=13340160
    Very appropriate :D

Thanks Mack for running the show again

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,282 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

That was fun, thanks for running it Omack. A very worthy winner, can't get much more Mexican than an Aztec warrior.

• Registered Users Posts: 85,351 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

A great tournie again Mac, thanks for running, sorry I did not vote enough

Thank you for this Omack. I love these tournaments. I also must thank you for the renewed interest you have given me in the last year in vexillology. I am really taken with it now.

Time for the nerd alert meme:D

Thank you for this Omack. I love these tournaments. I also must thank you for the renewed interest you have given me in the last year in vexillology. I am really taken with it now.

Time for the nerd alert meme:D
    71846414.jpg

In all seriousness that’s excellent to hear. I’m glad. I just like hearing how people’s opinions differ on something as trivial as pieces of cloth and/or colour schemes.

There’s a monster version of one of these Ultimate Battle tournaments coming in April. Hope to get a good bit of interest in that one.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,645 ✭✭✭SineadSpears

Ah bummer I missed this one.

The Mexicans have some really lovely flags!

Most certainly I would have voted for everything with a crown on it - very Dolce and Gabbana.
    The second flag on the first page, Tlaxcala, with the skulls - very Alexander McQueen.

I didn't like the weird arm flag. Didn’t like the gun one. Didn’t like the chihuahua that got so far.
    & in the end, wasn't too keen on the winner either.

Bit too cartoonish after my mind converting flags into designer silk neck scarves that I would proudly wear thinking I were oh so classy :P

Nice tournament all the same :)

• Advertisement

Nice insights Sinead. To be honest it was a bit of a bonus tournament as I had a an unexpected night to myself so threw it together quickly. I am hoping to have a lot more involvement when I do my next major one, it’ll be quite a lot bigger and a lot more varied. It’s gonna be a continental affair is all I can say...

Advertisement