Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Who thinks winter 2011/2012 will be even colder than the last 2?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

Thread is a bit dry without a poll.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,495 ✭✭✭bb1234567

Pangea wrote: »
    Thread is a bit dry without a poll.

Can you tell me how to make poll? and I'll do it:)

There I made the poll, sorry I mispelt freezing twice for some reason :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,446 ✭✭✭weisses

This is a dangerous thread .... ME probably use this to make their winter forecast :o

• Registered Users Posts: 356 ✭✭Strangegravy

Points taken. Older houses not set up for the cold and the older generation might find it tougher, although some of the older people I know might disagree with me, some are fantastically tough as nails! :D

If these harsher winters did become the norm, then proper support would be needed to help the more vulnerable in our society to adapt, but that's another long debate!

A lot of it is about heat management isn't it, I was sitting there last winter and if I did feel cold I'd automatically say put the heat back on, the wife would look at me and say, "Am, that's because you're sitting there in a light t-shirt, it is winter you know, go put on a jumper or a cardigan!" :D

In my opinion, I think it simply comes down to whether you're a winter person or not. How you define a "winter person" I'm not sure exactly, but if you like the good things about winter, you'll put up with or work around about the bad things, if you're not a winter person, the bad things seem multiplied tenfold, and it's very hard to draw any joy from the good things... to each their own of course and I respect that, but I know which camp I'm in! :D

• Advertisement

vote on what you actually think this winter will be like! not what you want it to be like!i bet most of you who are saying you think this winter will be mild just want it to be mild but you actually do think it could be cold. what reason is there for it to be mild. the last 4 winters in uk and ireland have gotten progressively worse so why wouldnt next year be the same, and with so many forecasters predicting cold weather next winter and cus of jet stream,low solar activity one would think there is definitely a higher chance of a cold winter next year! I genuinely beleive that next winter will be worse than the last and ill be seriously depressed if i dont see A LOT OF SNOW:D

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 6,854 Mod ✭✭✭✭mp22

• Registered Users Posts: 356 ✭✭Strangegravy

bb1234567 wrote: »
    vote on what you actually think this winter will be like! not what you want it to be like!i bet most of you who are saying you think this winter will be mild just want it to be mild but you actually do think it could be cold. what reason is there for it to be mild. the last 4 winters in uk and ireland have gotten progressively worse so why wouldnt next year be the same, and with so many forecasters predicting cold weather next winter and cus of jet stream,low solar activity one would think there is definitely a higher chance of a cold winter next year! I genuinely beleive that next winter will be worse than the last and ill be seriously depressed if i dont see A LOT OF SNOW:D

Ha, ha.. I love your optimism, but even the Maunder and Dalton minimums had some milder winters! We just have to remember that nothing is a given, and even though signs might point towards a colder set up, it equally wouldn't totally surprise me if it there was a massive heatwave over the Christmas holidays and we were all outside on sun loungers sipping pina coladas with our turkey dinners! :D

Weather can be crazy and unpredictable, and sometimes when it looks like it'll definitely swing one way, it goes the other... but that's what I love about it!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,068 ✭✭✭Iancar29

I just cant wait for CONSTANT SNOW WATCH on radar and what not ... asking everyone what temps and dew points it is and what not ! :)

This was taken on the first day of the snow in November .

:D..... " ALERT:" ... Remember that one?! haha :D

149282_10150104941091718_631736717_8030913_3833091_n.jpg

cool dog :D, a husky right?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,390 ✭✭✭Doublechinlolz

Would I be correct in saying, siberian husky? He's lovely :D

BOTH WRONG! ... TUT TUT TUT.... Anyone that truly sees all my posts especially last winter they know that hes an Alaskan Malamute! :D:D:D

I think he can sense the snow coming... he always wants to go outside b4 it starts! :)... ha :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,633 ✭✭✭darkman2

No reason atm to suspect a harsh winter is coming for the 3rd year in a row. It is impossible to forecast this far out. In fact going on probability alone that we would have a 3rd successively harshly cold Winter would mean it is highly unlikely. Still id have said the same about last Winter too. Worth remembering that from Christmas day throughout Jan and Feb it was mostly on the mild side and wet. I wonder will that trend simply continue. I think it might!

Remember this from last November ;)

ECM1-144.GIF

• Registered Users Posts: 16,656 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

As has been said the stats' are against it. Also bear in mind some of those long range forecasters were indicating a heatwave for much of June, which didn't happen. The likes of Piers Corbyn has got much kudos of late, however there is little said about all the times he's been wrong in past years. That's the beauty of not being under the microscope all the time, you're feted for getting right, but not scrutinised to the same degree, as mainstream weather organisations, when you get it wrong . So as much as i'd love to believe long term forecasts, that might say we are going to be stuck in the freezer, you've got to have a bit of skepticism about them. It'll be a pity if we go back to temperatures of 3- 4 degrees being described as a very cold, with winters showers being forecasted for higher hills, but that's what could well happen this year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭patneve2

As has been said the stats' are against it. Also bear in mind some of those long range forecasters were indicating a heatwave for much of June, which didn't happen. The likes of Piers Corbyn has got much kudos of late, however there is little said about all the times he's been wrong in past years. That's the beauty of not being under the microscope all the time, you're feted for getting right, but not scrutinised to the same degree, as mainstream weather organisations, when you get it wrong . So as much as i'd love to believe long term forecasts, that might say we are going to be stuck in the freezer, you've got to have a bit of skepticism about them. It'll be a pity if we go back to temperatures of 3- 4 degrees being described as a very cold, with winters showers being forecasted for higher hills, but that's what could well happen this year.

Spot on post...I read LRFs but to take them seriously? Never. Better to follow the weather on a day by day basis

darkman2 wrote: »

ECM1-144.GIF

MEMORIES....:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

patneve2 wrote: »
    Spot on post...I read LRFs but to take them seriously? Never. Better to follow the weather on a day by day basis

Aye Long range as in 6 months is a bit over the top but MTs winter forecast last year was pretty spot on.
    Personally I think we have a good chance of getting another cold hard winter, just another gut feeling. :) The world is pretty messed up weather wise and Im sure we will get very cold winters in the future. Our winds seem to come from the North a lot more than usual recently.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭compsys

Well if the wind keeps coming from the North as often as it has for this whole summer then I think it's fair to say we're in for another bitterly cold winter. Whether that also equates to snow is another matter.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,633 ✭✭✭darkman2

Iancar29 wrote: »
    MEMORIES....:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

ECM1-0.GIF?00

ECM1-72.GIF?00

ECM0-48.GIF?00

• Registered Users Posts: 9,010 ✭✭✭Tom Cruises Left Nut

Winter has begun!!! Darkman2 is here ! :pac::pac::pac:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭thetonynator

Pangea wrote: »
    Aye Long range as in 6 months is a bit over the top but MTs winter forecast last year was pretty spot on.
    Personally I think we have a good chance of getting another cold hard winter, just another gut feeling. :) The world is pretty messed up weather wise and Im sure we will get very cold winters in the future. Our winds seem to come from the North a lot more than usual recently.

M.T. had the first 6 or 7 weeks of his forecast spot on, but after that it was fairly off. Even M.T. doesn't get long range ones right over 2 months!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,011 ✭✭✭John.Icy

M.T. had the first 6 or 7 weeks of his forecast spot on, but after that it was fairly off. Even M.T. doesn't get long range ones right over 2 months!!!

I think every Long Range forecast was wrong after December...Nearly every single one went for the Mid-January Freeze, then it was the end of January, then the beginning/middle of Febuary and we ended up nothing. There may have been one LRF that didn't buy another cold spell after December, but I can't pick a name, otherwise, the Models were a b*tch to anyone who even tried to predict a pattern. :D

My answer to the thread? Will it be colder than 10/11? Overall for the duration of winter, I say yes. People brand last "winter" as cold, but on a whole it wasn't. The last week of Novemeber and most of December were brutally cold and snowy, but after that, yeah, I sadly didn't see another flake, barely another frost. Though, In terms of minimum temps, December '10 will be tough to beat.

Will it be colder than 09/10? I'm not sure, for the duration of that Winter, there was countless periods of snow, I believe in my log I reached nearly 20 days of snow falling or more, I can't remeber the specifics and I'm not rooting for it, (with more in March but that's not Winter.) It will be tough to beat that Winter in terms of Cold over each Winter Month.

I see this Winter either being spectacular, with similar snow events in terms of depths, or else, it will fail miserabley and we'll be saying hello to 2007 or so. I'll be looking for Northern blocking to be returning in October, similar to last year, once the signs are there that heights are able to rise up North, signs for Winter could be good.

• Registered Users Posts: 836 ✭✭✭derekon

darkman2 wrote: »
    No reason atm to suspect a harsh winter is coming for the 3rd year in a row. It is impossible to forecast this far out. In fact going on probability alone that we would have a 3rd successively harshly cold Winter would mean it is highly unlikely. Still id have said the same about last Winter too. Worth remembering that from Christmas day throughout Jan and Feb it was mostly on the mild side and wet. I wonder will that trend simply continue. I think it might!

ECM1-144.GIF

Hey Darkman,

Good to see you back on the boards - winter must be only around the corner now :D

During the winter , I find your posts some of the most entertaining and interesting so long may they continue!

However, I think you might be deliberately playing things down in the above post....we all know you are a snow monster like the vast majority of us!! :)

To be fair, everyone was chasing a cold spell that was expected to come march but never materialised in the end.
    His accuracy on the two/three big freezes were amazing though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Harps

For those of us in the north, undoubtedly my favourite day of last winter!

gfs-2010121412-0-78_oif6.png

I know nothing about how to make a long range forecast but simply going by probability its unlikely that we'll have another severely cold winter but then I thought the same of last winter and it proved unfounded. Nobody can do more than give an educated guess at this stage really

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,222 ✭✭✭robbie_998

Discodog wrote: »
    MABS will tell you that utility heating bills were huge last Winter. It takes a great deal more energy to maintain a reasonable temperature when it's -10c outside unless your home is well insulated. If you then add in all the costs due to transport problems etc a cold winter will be a nightmare.

during the last winter we spent our time in an apartment in clondalkin in the middle of the snow and all and the apartment had no heating at all because your man was a cheap skate but we were still able to walk around in just t-shirts and slacks not a bother.... i remember christmas week there were 4 of us sitting in the living room and we actually opened the door to the balcony cos it was a bit warm :pac:

anyway i cant fecking wait for the snow :D

i was actually on youtube the other day looking at all the videos from last year and the start of this year and im soo excited now :D

• Registered Users Posts: 16,656 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

Ah yes what a truly memorable day that was. Normally in those situations Scotland is in the path of the shower train. That time much of Scotland and Irish counties, such as Monaghan and Cavan, seemed to miss out on most of the showers.
    It will likely be a long time before we see as epic a winter day again on this side of the country.

cue senor pangea bringing up that last sentence next Winter, when we're in the middle of snow nirvana :pac:

cue senor pangea bringing up that last sentence next Winter, when we're in the middle of snow nirvana :pac:
    lol Don't worry I will :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,796 ✭✭✭Calibos

Speaking of Shower trains or tracks I just hope this and variations of it doesn't happen to Bray again this year

5281025826_145826ac48.jpg

IIRC Bray had an hour or two of decent snowfall 2 or 3 times during the hole 5 week period. The fact that we accumulated at most 4-5 inches down the seafront was down to temps and the slow thaw in the intervening periods. Its a long time since we even got that and while I did appreciate it, I couldn't help but feel robbed. That 5 inches from those few showers merely showed the accumulation potential had we not been in the gaps between streamers, IOM shadow, Anglesey Shadow from the depression pictured above or the Wicklow/Dublin Mountain shadow for the frontal snow from the west.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,390 ✭✭✭Doublechinlolz

The thought of 'mild and wet' is depressing :( Snow sounds grand though, i reckon we'll get what we want lads ;)

Advertisement