Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bringing Irish back into the public domain

Options
12346»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,150 ✭✭✭Johnmb

Originally posted by magpie
    1) You know **** all about me, I don't presume to make pronouncements on you, so I 'd appreciate if you gave me the same courtesy.
    I haven't made any pronouncements about you, I've made pronouncements about the knowledge (or lack thereof) of history that you have displayed on this thread, and your lack of research into items about which you have commented. I have also given my thoughts as to why you have said the things you have.

]2) In the instance of the job I mentioned, Irish was not a required qualification. I had all the required qualifications in spades, inluding a relevant degree, post graduate qualifications and 8 years experience. Irish was listed as a 'in an ideal world' added extra. The person who got the job was a graduate with 2 years experience who happened to be a gaeilgoir. As was one of the interviewers. Go figure.
    So your claim on the 19th that you had "...been turned down for a job on the grounds that they wanted someone with good Irish" is not entirely true. It was very possibly because they decided that the other person was more appropriate for reasons other than his/her knowledge of Irish. As someone who has been involved in interviewing potential employees for several companies, I can tell you that the number of years experience you have is almost meaningless in most jobs, it's the type of experience that matters most (at least for accountants, and I'd imagine for most other professions too).

3) My bitterness or otherwise should have no effect on your ability to debate the pros and cons of the language. Clearly what your education gained in Gaeilge it lost out in debating protocol.
    You haven't debated the pros and cons of the language, you have made one erroneous claim after another, and when your errors in one claim are pointed out, you ignore that and make up another erroneous claim to post. I haven't had a debate with you yet, I've merely corrected your erroneous statements. When you have done some research, then you will be ready to debate, and I'll be happy to engage.

OK, ban me now please Mr Adams.
    If you don't want to post here just don't. Why do you need to be banned?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,552 ✭✭✭✭GuanYin

Originally posted by magpie
    So even though I was brought up not speaking Irish having been born intro a non irish-speaking community.... it's called DUBLIN I don't have the same rights/opportunities as someone who was?

Your double standards frankly ****ing amaze me.
    ]

What double standards?
    You are missing the point.
    People speak Irish as is their right. The government protects this right by ensuring its employees can communicate with these Irish speaking people. You have now two choices, continue to be bitter, or go learn some Irish, which is obviously an important enough trait in the job you want.

If I go for a job where they say "computer skills desired" and have none and they give it to someone who has all the requirements for the jobs, as I have, but also computer skills, I don't go and say that computers are ruining our lives. I simply get some computer skills.

How do you know who got the job incidently?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 223 ✭✭Gleanndún

I would also like to poin out that I am learning Irish and I hav had to type the organizations that have been listed into google so that I even know what the flippin letters stand for. I don't even know what a "republican" is.

And as for gaeilgeoirí speaking english, which apperently not all do, which as well I have just learned here, ask any psycholinguist, any foreigner even, a speaker who is not native will never have the same ability as native speaker. My Irish teacher is not a native speaker of Irish, her household didn't speak a word of it; yet she went to Gaelscoil everyday and was out of contact with the laguage academically and so even from this her English suffers. Now just because a native speaker of Irish can technically speak English, that will not empower them for a court defense in a language that is not natively theirs. Numerous people in Germany know English. Do you think they would rather talk to a police officer or a jury in English? In England they would be forced to, but why would they need to in Germany?

And one thing that has been bothering me a log time now: stop comparing the number of gaeilgeoirí to the number of Chinese speakers. China has 1.4 billion people in it, there are almost more non-native speakers of Chinese than native speakers of English or German. Ireland has only 4 million people (Which is only 4 times the size of the city I live in) so 100,000 people is one helluva lot. Whether or not a language is Endangered has nothing to do with the number of people speaking it and everything to do with the change in this number. As was pointed out, Ísland has only about 250,000 people who speak their language, but it would be very difficult for me to belive that it's going to die out, just because less people speak Icelandic than French.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 208 ✭✭David-[RLD]-

Originally posted by Gleanndún
    Ireland has only 4 million people (Which is only 4 times the size of the city I live in) so 100,000 people is one helluva lot.

I think it's closer to 350,000. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 223 ✭✭Gleanndún

even more then;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭Bard

magpie re-banned and Johnmb banned with him for dragging the thread way off-topic.

I'd have put my banning boots on earlier but I've been mostly away from boards for the past week or so.

No time limit set for bans. Thread closed.

I'll say this once:

THIS BOARD IS NOT ABOUT POLITICS. STAY ON TOPIC.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,286 ✭✭✭Gael

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement