Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New found respect for teachers?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 854 ✭✭✭beveragelady

This was one response to the OP's suggestion that one or two people might gain a respect for teachers:
    maneno wrote: »
    Not to be rude or anything but that’s what you are trained to do? You will struggle if you were to do a job that you don’t have expertise in,that said teachers do a good job

It got the following reply:
    km79 wrote: »
    I can this thread shockingly will not end well
    The after hours brigade are coming
    “Sure isn’t that their job “

Why were we clapping for nurses doing their job so ?

I will simplify the conversation for you:
    OP: Do you think people might start to respect teachers now?
    Reply A: Sure aren't they only doing their job?
    Reply B: But we clapped for the nurses, and they were doing their job.
    You : Oh so now you're saying we shouldn't clap for nurses, and teaching is hard because I've just discovered my child is uncooperative, but not really and I respect teachers but they're bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭NetChat101

This was one response to the OP's suggestion that one or two people might gain a respect for teachers:

You : Oh so now you're saying we shouldn't clap for nurses, and teaching is hard because I've just discovered my child is uncooperative, but not really and I respect teachers but they're bad.

You dont need to simplify anything for me, I dont appreciate the condescension.

The post implied that the poster was exasperated because not everyone agreed that, after homeschooling for a few days, we should all be on our knees thanking teachers.

Then said that no doubt the usual "sure isn't that their job" would be flying in. Then implied that, if you apply the same thinking to nurses, ie sure aren't they only doing their job, why was applause necessary.

I see you're still lost:
    The thread:
    It made sense to clap for nurses, they're doing a brilliant job under intolerable circumstances, but we took them for granted up to now.
    So might it make sense to maybe have a a weeny bit of respect for teachers now that parents are discovering that teaching is hard?

You:
    Meh, I'm going to read just one sentence and disregard the nuance and context so I can express outrage.
    Also, my Child doesn't want to work, I bet teachers don't have this problem.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 514 ✭✭✭thomasdylan

But only Reply A was in quotes. The way I read it because of that was Reply B was km79's own response.

Which would be strange because there's a gulf between what nurses and teachers are having to do now.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,066 ✭✭✭HerrKuehn

Maybe teachers will have a bit of respect for parents in future? Many parents are working full time and trying to keep their children busy. I have 2 kids in primary school, there have been a few emails with links to things to do. It would take very little time to put it together so the teachers are basically off now. I don't have an issue with this at all, I expect the kids will not be going back before September. Again, I have no problem with that. We are well able to keep the kids busy. We will work weekends etc, to make sure there is always one of us here with them. I'm fine with that, we do what we have to. However, I would have thought teachers have it easier than almost any other profession during the crisis.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,215 ✭✭✭khalessi

HerrKuehn wrote: »
    Maybe teachers will have a bit of respect for parents in future? Many parents are working full time and trying to keep their children busy. I have 2 kids in primary school, there have been a few emails with links to things to do. It would take very little time to put it together so the teachers are basically off now. I don't have an issue with this at all, I expect the kids will not be going back before September. Again, I have no problem with that. We are well able to keep the kids busy. We will work weekends etc, to make sure there is always one of us here with them. I'm fine with that, we do what we have to. However, I would have thought teachers have it easier than almost any other profession during the crisis.

I'm a teacher and a parent. I bought a laptop and modem to work from home to accommodate the online learning as that was needed. It was an expense I didn't need as I'm a single parent but I just got on with it. I too have kids to keep busy and keep up with school work as I work from home.

Mutual respect is what is needed.

It really saddens me to see the abuse teachers get as I just try to get on with my job. Each job has good and bad. I have met some rotten doctors and awful nurses in my years as a nurse but I have also met excellent ones, the same with every other occupation.

I worry about them at this scary time and the members of my family who are still frontline. I also worry about my colleagues and teacher friends for different reasons as I dont know who will return when we get back to school. I worry about the kids I teach and their families, especially the ones I know have extra pressures.

I an just doing my job which is teaching, though now I am teaching online to my students. I was up Monday and Tuesday night from 3am uploading stuff as my Internet isnt great. I was then online conferencing with my students all day about the work we had to do.

For the children and myself it has been a steep learning curve, and this is just primary school. I am very proud of my kids and how they are coping with this change thrown at us. I worry about them but know they are ok.

I have been online everyday from 530am as some of the children get up early to use the internet before their parents need them for work and they might have a question, so I am there as that is the job.

Each school is handling this the best way they can depending on the technology they have. Mine send out a daily one but we have different levels of technology and I use online classrooms to teach. My children's school sent out an email with work for the week and we are muddling though, but not all of it is getting done.

Why? Simple, in our constitution it states the parent is the main educator so the work being sent home is a suggestion and my children's wellbeing is the most important thing in these strange times. I take each day as it comes and see how my kids are feeling. They do a few hours a day then we play or bake or they do lego, board games etc. I'm allowing them onto computer games as they can chat to their friends.

It is hard being a parent, working full time and keeping them going especially in these strange times but that is what we all are trying to do

So be kind to one another and be kind to yourselves.
    Everyone is trying to do their best no matter what

• Registered Users Posts: 18,492 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Always had plenty of respect for teachers.
    Teachers work hard often dealing with very difficult classes and individuals, including parents.

My eldest is heading towards teaching and I’m very proud of her decision. Few teachers at school encouraged me towards teaching but sadly my family circumstances at the time didn’t support it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭august12

khalessi wrote: »
    I'm a teacher and a parent. I bought a laptop and modem to work from home to accommodate the online learning as that was needed. It was an expense I didn't need as I'm a single parent but I just got on with it. I too have kids to keep busy and keep up with school work as I work from home.

Mutual respect is what is needed.

It really saddens me to see the abuse teachers get as I just try to get on with my job. Each job has good and bad. I have met some rotten doctors and awful nurses in my years as a nurse but I have also met excellent ones, the same with every other occupation.

I worry about them at this scary time and the members of my family who are still frontline. I also worry about my colleagues and teacher friends for different reasons as I dont know who will return when we get back to school. I worry about the kids I teach and their families, especially the ones I know have extra pressures.

I an just doing my job which is teaching, though now I am teaching online to my students. I was up Monday and Tuesday night from 3am uploading stuff as my Internet isnt great. I was then online conferencing with my students all day about the work we had to do.

For the children and myself it has been a steep learning curve, and this is just primary school. I am very proud of my kids and how they are coping with this change thrown at us. I worry about them but know they are ok.

I have been online everyday from 530am as some of the children get up early to use the internet before their parents need them for work and they might have a question, so I am there as that is the job.

Each school is handling this the best way they can depending on the technology they have. Mine send out a daily one but we have different levels of technology and I use online classrooms to teach. My children's school sent out an email with work for the week and we are muddling though, but not all of it is getting done.

Why? Simple, in our constitution it states the parent is the main educator so the work being sent home is a suggestion and my children's wellbeing is the most important thing in these strange times. I take each day as it comes and see how my kids are feeling. They do a few hours a day then we play or bake or they do lego, board games etc. I'm allowing them onto computer games as they can chat to their friends.

It is hard being a parent, working full time and keeping them going especially in these strange times but that is what we all are trying to do

So be kind to one another and be kind to yourselves.
    Everyone is trying to do their best no matter what

Well said and well done, a really touching post, as you said, we should be working together and be kind to one another, take care.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,167 ✭✭✭Notorious

km79 wrote: »
    “How are you enjoying your extended holidays ? You must have nothing for doing”

In short no

A parent actually replied to one of my emails saying "hope you're enjoying the extended summer holidays". :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭emilymemily

HerrKuehn wrote: »

Most teachers are trying to teach 6 - 10 classes online daily. I spend half my day replying to students questions about something that has already been clearly explained to them, all because they dont make the effort to read the PowerPoint or document ive sent them.
    I also have corrections from each student in each class, trying to source material which they can easily follow at home. Not to mention chasing after students who wont even check the work that's been assigned. I am working from 7am until 9pm some nights, I am answering students emails at weekends. My weekends are spent searching through endless Youtube videos and websites trying to find appropriate resources to send to students as im not with them to adequately teach them things.

It's not a competition on which profession has it easier during the crisis but dont think for a second that this is a holiday for teachers.

• Advertisement

I just opened an email from a parent, not a child, that was sent just before midnight last night asking me which of the questions had to be done for today. I have no idea how that conversation could possibly have unfolded. In the assignment it clearly says (I double checked) which page and which questions. These two pieces of information are in the same sentence, on the same line.
    How did the child read as far as the page number and then decide not to continue? And decide instead to ask a parent? Just before midnight? And the parent, rather than sending the child to bed, or saying "Well, let me see, show me the assignment, it must say somewhere which questions you need to do," fired off an email to the teacher.

I'm sticking to my timetable, dealing with classes as they are timetabled for 40 min stretches. I had to do this because it has been impossible to impress upon them the fact that I simply can't be available to them around the clock. It was driving me crazy.
    Still, yesterday evening I got a string of messages at from 7:30pm onwards about an assignment that was due at 8pm. I wish I could show you a screenshot.
    Miss, do we have to do both of the questions? (This information was in the assignment.)
    2 mins later
    Do we only have to do one question? (This information was in the assignment.)
    8 mins later
    If I do the first question do I have to use quotes? (This information was in the assignment.)
    4 mins later
    Do we have to agree with the statement in the question? (This information was in the assignment. There are now less that 20 mins left to do work that should take about 40 mins.)
    6 mins later.
    Miss, I don't know which question to do so I'm doing the second one. (They were supposed to do both.This information was in the assignment.)

I didn't reply because I was walking the dogs and I had turned off Teams notifications to my phone.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,426 ✭✭✭maestroamado

There is a primary school close to where i live (rural)
    The principle car was there every time i passed since it closed.
    Can they work remotely....

• Registered Users Posts: 6,215 ✭✭✭khalessi

He could be supervising activity in the school such as a deep clean or allowing parents pick up books for rhe children, different reasons.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,381 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

Maybe they live in the middle of nowhere and the internet is crap so they've gone in to do some work as they are not at risk if they are the only person in the building.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,426 ✭✭✭maestroamado

khalessi wrote: »
    He could be supervising activity in the school such as a deep clean or allowing parents pick up books for rhe children, different reasons.

Its a she with legs etc, not the dirty boots type...

• Registered Users Posts: 48,137 ✭✭✭✭km79

Someone else will be in questioning why their principals car is not outside their school but outside their home !

• Registered Users Posts: 15,381 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

Not sure why it matters, people coming on this forum complaining that teachers do no work, people coming on this forum complaining about teachers working...

• Registered Users Posts: 48,137 ✭✭✭✭km79

What does that even mean?
    This isn’t After Hours

• Registered Users Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭thecomedian

So?

• Registered Users Posts: 771 ✭✭✭afkasurfjunkie

The principle car? Does it belong to the entire school and they take turns using it? Or...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,568 ✭✭✭Treppen

I bet she goes there to practice tiktok dancing for some viral video effort. When really it's all about killing off tiktok the same way parents and grandparents infiltrated Facebook and Instagram and made it uncool.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,131 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

I think we'e gone everywhere we can with this one, including places nobody wanted to go. Thread closed.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement