Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New found respect for teachers?

Options
  • 28-03-2020 2:49am
    Registered Users Posts: 35

I’ve noticed a lot of posts lately from parents struggling to home school their kids.

Will they finally get it?! Just because you went to school doesn’t mean you can teach.. Is teaching really a handy number?

Well done to all the teachers that have moved out of their traditional teaching role to something new and unknown.

No one will ever understand the time, effort or commitment this is taking. Be kind to one another everyone is doing the best they can. ❤️

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,227 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

To be fair, some of those clips have been hilarious :D

Fcuk Putin. Glory to Ukraine!

• Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭maneno

gitterbug wrote: »
    I’ve noticed a lot of posts lately from parents struggling to home school their kids.

Will they finally get it?! Just because you went to school doesn’t mean you can teach.. Is teaching really a handy number?

Well done to all the teachers that have moved out of their traditional teaching role to something new and unknown.

No one will ever understand the time, effort or commitment this is taking. Be kind to one another everyone is doing the best they can. ❤️

Not to be rude or anything but that’s what you are trained to do? You will struggle if you were to do a job that you don’t have expertise in,that said teachers do a good job

• Registered Users Posts: 831 ✭✭✭False Prophet

You are comparing apples and oranges.
    Teachers get training to be teachers and get paid to do the job.
    Teachers also you would hope improve over time with experience.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,537 ✭✭✭ldy4mxonucwsq6

Teaching children as a group in a structured classroom setting under normal circumstances with supports and staff is a hell of a lot easier than a parent who's at home.

Teachers are trained to teach. Do anyone else's job tomorrow untrained and you'd struggle too.

Parents might currently be working from home trying to do their own jobs, teach a full day's schoolwork (with home distractions) along with the usual running of a home as well as maybe shopping and caring for elderly relatives and neighbours.

Not comparable and yes some will struggle but what do you mean by 'will they finally get it'??

Teachers seem to vary widely too, I have three students at home.

One excellent teacher consistently assigning and grading work daily, another is doing online lessons and assessments regularly.

Then there's the teacher who's 'new role' consisted entirely of printing a one page worksheet with work listed for the whole next month, but on the bright side I'm sure she will have plenty of time for contact tracing now though.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,381 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

maneno wrote: »
    Not to be rude or anything but that’s what you are trained to do? You will struggle if you were to do a job that you don’t have expertise in,that said teachers do a good job

A lot of the general public, as I'm sure you well know, spend their time bitching about teachers and what a cushy number we have and anyone could do it, and their little angel is perfect, no couldn't be their child that is the problem, it's always the teacher.

Now some are finding out that it is quite difficult to keep a child engaged on different tasks everyday. Nobody is expecting parents to become experts in education overnight but they might appreciate that it's not just about rocking up to a classroom and it just magically happens.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,381 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

Teaching children as a group in a structured classroom setting under normal circumstances with supports and staff is a hell of a lot easier than a parent who's at home.

Teachers are trained to teach. Do anyone else's job tomorrow untrained and you'd struggle too.

Parents might currently be working from home trying to do their own jobs, teach a full day's schoolwork (with home distractions) along with the usual running of a home as well as maybe shopping and caring for elderly relatives and neighbours.

Not comparable and yes some will struggle but what do you mean by 'will they finally get it'??

Teachers seem to vary widely too, I have three students at home.

One excellent teacher consistently assigning and grading work daily, another is doing online lessons and assessments regularly.

Then there's the teacher who's 'new role' consisted entirely of printing a one page worksheet with work listed for the whole next month, but on the bright side I'm sure she will have plenty of time for contact tracing now though.

Or maybe she has small kids at home that she has to look after, seems that you will allow for parents that can't devote time to their kids because they are working from home, but not teachers.

Or maybe she has small kids at home that she has to look after, seems that you will allow for parents that can't devote time to their kids because they are working from home, but not teachers.

No she doesn't but its nice to see that some teachers making a genuine effort to continue educating and putting hours in.

However smugly posting about parents who are struggling and statements like 'will they finally get it' helps nobody. As another poster said its like comparing apples and oranges.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 gitterbug

No she doesn't but its nice to see that some teachers making a genuine effort to continue educating and putting hours in.

However smugly posting about parents who are struggling and statements like 'will they finally get it' helps nobody. As another poster said its like comparing apples and oranges.

Hi Lylah Elegant Railing,

This post was not meant as a “smug” post. People have been tearing teachers down for years about their cushy jobs for years. I was simply commenting that now parents are becoming more responsible for their own children’s learning, it will give them a better understanding of how “cushy” our job really is.

I’m not comparing parents efforts to help educate their children. Anything parent do will be highly beneficial for their children. This is not ideal. I was just saying, this job is not as handy as it has been out to be.

I’m not comparing parents efforts to help educate their children. Anything parent do will be highly beneficial for their children. This is not ideal. I was just saying, this job is not as handy as it has been out to be.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭jimmers23

I am a part time teacher, but also a parent to a child with disabilities. I am assigning work to non exam classes, putting up the answers, recording who does/ does not submit work. I am marking exam class work and providing feedback, all of which before was attainable in my part time role in school. Now I find myself highly stressed as I feel I am not fulfilling either role adequately.. It is tough going.

jimmers23 wrote: »
    I am a part time teacher, but also a parent to a child with disabilities. I am assigning work to non exam classes, putting up the answers, recording who does/ does not submit work. I am marking exam class work and providing feedback, all of which before was attainable in my part time role in school. Now I find myself highly stressed as I feel I am not fulfilling either role adequately.. It is tough going.

Hi Jimmers,

This doesn’t help but sounds like your doing all you can! Online teaching can be harder as teachers have access to you 24/7 and vice versa. Some days you will do lots and other you won’t! Also, just thinking out loud.. are you going the same amount of work as you would normally give in class? Sometimes we might students can do more than the can, it’s an adjustment not having a teacher guide them through.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,571 ✭✭✭Treppen

:pac: Jeez first time in history the Teaching and Lecturing forum nearly got away with 1 genuine compliment from a non-teacher without being pounced on.

Nearly...

Thanks anyway gitterbug

Treppen wrote: »
    :pac: Jeez first time in history the Teaching and Lecturing forum nearly got away with 1 genuine compliment from a non-teacher without being pounced on.

Nearly...

Thanks anyway gitterbug

Pretty sure gitterbug is a teacher too.......says so in the posts on this thread.

Pretty sure gitterbug is a teacher too.......says so in the posts on this thread.

Giz a quote to justify your statement.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,137 ✭✭✭✭km79

“How are you enjoying your extended holidays ? You must have nothing for doing”

In short no

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,445 ✭✭✭Rodney Bathgate

Teacher talking about new found respect for teachers? More like thanks whoring.

I can this thread shockingly will not end well
    The after hours brigade are coming
    “Sure isn’t that their job “

Why were we clapping for nurses doing their job so ?

Again to answer thread title
    No
    And there never will be

Teacher talking about new found respect for teachers? More like thanks whoring.

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭Purefrank128

I am not a teacher.

I have a lot of respect for teachers.

It is not, however, new found.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭august12

I can't understand all this bashing of people's professions especially teachers. In any job, there are good and bad, be it teaching, nursing, construction, plumbing, public sector etc. There are really diligent, conscientious hard working people who will go the extra mile and equally the people who do sweet damn all and in some cases especially the public sector where no one seems to be reprimanded for underperformance and in most cases will be carried along by their co workers, or most likely will be promoted as performance is not taken into account, if you do well in a 30 minute interview, that is all that counts. This system needs to be radically overhauled.

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭NetChat101

km79 wrote: »
    I can this thread shockingly will not end well
    The after hours brigade are coming
    “Sure isn’t that their job “

Why were we clapping for nurses doing their job so ?

Again to answer thread title
    No
    And there never will be

"Why were we clapping for nurses doing their job so," !!!!!!!!! Are you seriously saying that we shouldn't be clapping for nurses as they are only doing their job. Lovely deflection there.

There are soooo many teachers trying their utmost, under very stressful conditions at home minding their own children, to assist their students during this awful time.

Then you have the teachers that send home around 3 days work, then send on a list of websites for parents to trawl through themselves trying to find suitable work for their children. That's what has happened for my child, and still no work packs being sent out. Now, in all seriousness, for each teacher to do up a work pack for the week for just their own class, surely that could be done in a couple of hours, considering they have access to the exact work my child is doing and as teachers they know what they're looking for. I have spent so much time every night after my kids are in bed, trying to find and print out worksheets, only to be told the next day "No Mam, we haven't done that yet".

Also, I'm pretty sure my child doesn't say to her teacher "Ah no teacher, do we have to do that now" which is a frequent comment at home, among others.

So no, I haven't a newfound respect for teachers. I've always had massive respect for teachers but I do now have newfound criticism of SOME of them.

NetChat101 wrote: »
    "Why were we clapping for nurses doing their job so," !!!!!!!!! Are you seriously saying that we shouldn't be clapping for nurses as they are only doing their job.

I absolutely am not saying that . The context of the post is in the context of the thread

Lovely deflection there.

Deflecting from what ? A rare thread in praise of teachers

There are soooo many teachers trying their utmost, under very stressful conditions at home minding their own children, to assist their students during this awful time.

Yes I am one of them .

Then you have the teachers that send home around 3 days work, then send on a list of websites for parents to trawl through themselves trying to find suitable work for their children. That's what has happened for my child, and still no work packs being sent out. Now, in all seriousness, for each teacher to do up a work pack for the week for just their own class, surely that could be done in a couple of hours, considering they have access to the exact work my child is doing and as teachers they know what they're looking for. I have spent so much time every night after my kids are in bed, trying to find and print out worksheets, only to be told the next day "No Mam, we haven't done that yet".
    Contact your school principal

Also, I'm pretty sure my child doesn't say to her teacher "Ah no teacher, do we have to do that now" which is a frequent comment at home, among others.

No comment

So no, I haven't a newfound respect for teachers. I've always had massive respect for teachers but I do now have newfound criticism of SOME of them.

Ok

• Registered Users Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭killbillvol2

Oh dear.

Possibly one of the comments most heard in classrooms. But obviously never from your little angel.

• Registered Users Posts: 854 ✭✭✭beveragelady

"Why were we clapping for nurses doing their job so," !!!!!!!!! Are you seriously saying that we shouldn't be clapping for nurses as they are only doing their job. Lovely deflection there.

What has happened there is that you have misunderstood.

Pretty sure he or she does. One of the joys of the job, hearing their adorable opinions when you have a syllabus to cover.

Oh dear.

Possibly one of the comments most heard in classrooms. But obviously never from your little angel.

Typical teacher retort. But no, my child is not a little angel as you say. And I know a lot of teachers very well - when they're chatting in an outside school setting about parents they constantly refer to "parents and their little angels".

If any parent dares to question anything, they're "that parent".

What has happened there is that you have misunderstood.

Pretty sure he or she does. One of the joys of the job, hearing their adorable opinions when you have a syllabus to cover.

I don't think I misunderstood in the slightest.

• Registered Users Posts: 854 ✭✭✭beveragelady

I don't think I misunderstood in the slightest.

So what's happening here is that you're continuing to misunderstand.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,426 ✭✭✭maestroamado

Reminds me of something from years ago.
    Teacher word game, asks class for word beginning with "N"

Smart Johnny, miss i have it.... what the word miss an napple, no that apple Johnny.
    Please miss another go..... and the word... miss its an norange no that orange.
    Please please miss one more..... and the word... its an negg miss.
    Sit down Johnny...

• Advertisement

So what's happening here is that you're continuing to misunderstand.

Apologies if I misunderstood (genuinely).

Can you explain exactly what the comment "Why are we clapping for the nurses so?" meant? Obviously in the context of the poster's whole post.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement