Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

fetac level 6 childcare thread ......

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4 mrs hoot

Hi somegirl2009, I am doing the communications module at the moment...just starting...its a nightmare...have to have it done in 2 weeks. any help would be greatfully appreciated. I have completed some of the other modules and appreciate the hard work that goes into it...am doing it online...no help what so ever...

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭somegirl2009

mrs hoot wrote: »
    Hi somegirl2009, I am doing the communications module at the moment...just starting...its a nightmare...have to have it done in 2 weeks. any help would be greatfully appreciated. I have completed some of the other modules and appreciate the hard work that goes into it...am doing it online...no help what so ever...

for my communications module i did a recorded role play
    a review on an event including powerpoint presentation to class (recorded)
    An IT essay
    A project proposal assignment
    My CV and presented it to class

do you have any idea on what you are supposed to do for the module?

I will try help you if you can tell me what kind of information you are looking for.

• Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭aoshea83

for my communications module i did a recorded role play
    a review on an event including powerpoint presentation to class (recorded)
    An IT essay
    A project proposal assignment
    My CV and presented it to class

do you have any idea on what you are supposed to do for the module?

I will try help you if you can tell me what kind of information you are looking for.

I believe the module has changed a bit, it was G20001, it's now 5N060 and that comes with new assignments I understand, I think now, though I am open to correction, that it comprises of filmed group discussion, a portfolio of work (various bits and pieces put together) and a filmed presentation.

Firstly thanks for getting back to me!!!! It is the amount of work needed in the portfolio that is killing me!! I have sent email to tutor 2 days ago but no reply yet, so am doing the special needs assisting while I am waiting!

They are looking for 400 - 600 words on how digital communications affect
    Acculturation /Mobile Etiquette & Social Alienation/On Line Privacy/ Instant communications (always on 24hr access) and effective communication through Digital carriers.

They then want a table describing key elements of 6 pieces of legislation or organisations but I should be ok with that as I am just going to summerise and do about 5 - 6 points on each (do you think thats enough?)

They then want 800 - 1000 words on impact of non verbal communication and physical environment in human interaction on Principals of NVC / Impact of technology on NVC/How NVC enhances human interaction

Finally last task! Research and produce written report with supporting evidence outlining issues that exist within your chosen vocational area. Produce evidence of research and it is to include reports correspondence faxes memos and minutes. (Honestly havent a clue what they expect on this one! )

So thats it....and like you said on your message I have the videos etc to do for the other 50% of marks!!!

Time is what is killing me as I need to have level 6 for september when I go back to school or I wont be allowed to lead the class (new service) started level 6 in april and have just this and special needs and work experience to do...so any help or advice much much appreciated!!

• Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭aoshea83

They are looking for 400 - 600 words on how digital communications affect
    Acculturation /Mobile Etiquette & Social Alienation/On Line Privacy/ Instant communications (always on 24hr access) and effective communication through Digital carriers.

Do you need to include all of the above in a 600 word essay or just one?
    If it's all then you're looking at just 100 words on each which isn't much room for detailed discussion!
    They then want 800 - 1000 words on impact of non verbal communication and physical environment in human interaction on Principals of NVC / Impact of technology on NVC/How NVC enhances human interaction

Head to your library, they usually have some books on body language, which will look nice on any references/bibliography. You could talk about what is NVC, use of mobile phones in company and how a smile can change a conversation for example.
    Finally last task! Research and produce written report with supporting evidence outlining issues that exist within your chosen vocational area. Produce evidence of research and it is to include reports correspondence faxes memos and minutes. (Honestly havent a clue what they expect on this one! )

As an example a good place to look here is men in childcare and lack there of.

Write a report on the topic, include a report on changing numbers of employed men over the last few years.

In your work placement email/fax a letter to your supervisor about having a one on one meeting to discuss that you want the staffs opinions on your topic (eg Men in childcare)

Have the meeting with your supervisor on the idea of having a staff meeting on the subject and their feelings, record what is said.

Post a memo in the canteen that there will be a meeting. Hold the meeting and record the minutes.

Now if you fabricate all this is entirely up to you and above is only an example of what you could do. In your portfolio include the email (screen shot) or fax, minutes of the meeting with your supervisor and the meeting with staff, memo and include as big a reference/bibliography as possible

Hope that helps somewhat :)

• Advertisement

Thanks so much for the tips...will definately do the lack of men in childcare..good topic...on the first part unfortunately it is 400- 600 words on EACH of the five topics so minimum 2000 words. My issue is time as I need to have all modules complete by Sept 1 but have a demanding day job in office admin and hard to keep going when its against the clock!!

If I had a year to do all the modules I would be fine. On special needs now.... but dreading communication... and I thought that would be my favourite!!

Anyway thanks for the feedback!!! Good of you to give me ideas!

lynyg18, am now doing the dreaded communications. Have just typed nearly 600 words on acculturation and have lost will to live!!!! Any help or advice on next four headings much appreciated. Have 2 weeks to complete communication!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2 reilly_miss

lynyg18, am now doing the dreaded communications. Have just typed nearly 600 words on acculturation and have lost will to live!!!! Any help or advice on next four headings much appreciated. Have 2 weeks to complete communication!!!

Hi I was just reading this thread praying someone might be able to help me. I failed on the communication module with The Open College and have 1 week to re submit my assignment.

Basically does anyone have any ideas on how to complete the video tasks at home, I am not allowed to record at work due to privacy policy. Also the conference call and seminar/webinar questions, I don't know about you but working in montessori doesn't require me to take conference calls. Also the create a table for regulations/policies, I have searched all over the web and there are no examples, so I summarised each one, tutor said that it was incorrect.

The whole module is quite ridiculous and I don't think it remotely applies to communication in the childcare environment. By far the hardest module.

Has anyone else encountered these problems?

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭noanoa

I had two video tasks to do, a staff meeting and a presentation I did mine on expanding the school, you could pick what ever topic you wished e.g. outdoor area, introducing home or reading corner.
    So for the staff meeting, I did it at home with my brothers wife and my other brothers girlfriend. they just sat there and agreed with everything i said. For the presentation i just stood in the kitchen and talked for 15mins and pretended that i had a room full of people.

For regulations/policies we had to write up our own ones as if it was our school. Could you look at whats in your setting now?
    I did it with portobello so it is a bit different.

Let me know if I can be more help.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 reilly_miss

noanoa wrote: »
    I had two video tasks to do, a staff meeting and a presentation I did mine on expanding the school, you could pick what ever topic you wished e.g. outdoor area, introducing home or reading corner.
    So for the staff meeting, I did it at home with my brothers wife and my other brothers girlfriend. they just sat there and agreed with everything i said. For the presentation i just stood in the kitchen and talked for 15mins and pretended that i had a room full of people.

For regulations/policies we had to write up our own ones as if it was our school. Could you look at whats in your setting now?
    I did it with portobello so it is a bit different.

Let me know if I can be more help.

Thanks for the prompt reply, calmed my nerves a little. I will definitely do the videos the way you suggested. Hopefully that will scrape me up to a pass and I can be done with this dreadful module. I'm doing mine with The Open College and it's an online course which is quite difficult as there aren't any students to share ideas with. Fingers crossed

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭noanoa

For the P & P we had to do it up like our own school so name the school, make logo ( just google) and put the P & P under them don't summerise them.
    We didnt have to do conference calls tho so no real help for that.
    We had to do staff appraisal, Meeting, presentation it wasn't so bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 sylvcah

heyy
    I'm doing level 6 and currently doing social and legal. I was thinking of doing the project on Aistear but I can't think of any disadvantages of it can anyone help ????

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭lynyg18

Hi, I think aistear disadvantages are

1. Not catered for special needs
    2. Not inspected enough
    3. Doesn't really focus on children planning what they want to do
    4. Compare to high scope/ Montessori
    5. No emphasis on conflict resolution or dealing with challenging behaviour
    6. Too much paperwork with little no contact time in most centres
    7. Day starts with free play - no structure , highscope has a greeting time good for school readiness
    8. Aistear is great in theory but needs a lot of resources to implement

Hope it helps :)

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭lynyg18

Alpaca wrote: »
    Hi,
    Reposting this again. Does anyone have any books needed to complete Fetac level 6 in early childhood care and education? Very difficult to find second hand ones. I have the Child Development book by Flood and Assiting with Special Needs. I would be grateful if anyone has other books in relation to the course that they are not using. Thanks

I never bought books use Google books can read majority of a book on that and can get quotes for referencing , or try Amazon.co.UK

Good luck

• Registered Users Posts: 2 sylvcah

Thank you so much lynyg18!!!!! That was such a great help!!!!!! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭shauna17

hi i dont know is this thread still going im starting the level six course in two weeks any tips for me :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8 wildpurple

shauna17 wrote: »
    hi i dont know is this thread still going im starting the level six course in two weeks any tips for me :)

I'm hoping to start online this week but feel a bit lost as not having a teacher to answer to ...did u start ? where? how u finding it.?

wildpurple wrote: »
    I'm hoping to start online this week but feel a bit lost as not having a teacher to answer to ...did u start ? where? how u finding it.?

hi i have started but am in college not on line its alot of work but its very enjoyable:)

shauna17 wrote:
    hi i have started but am in college not on line its alot of work but its very enjoyable

That's what I thought but was talking to lady today she works having done level 6 and said there so much work ...im working full time ..and trying to keep house going ...but need a change the course I looked at is cmit 10months online ...but would love to set up group so we could all help each other...it'll be hard on my own ..😂 hence not paying money yet ..

• Registered Users Posts: 2 madambee11

Hi there, I would like some help in doing the supervision project if someone can. I have a 5000 word count on a project with Kilroys and I am just having a hard time coming up with ideas for the project. Has anyone done theirs with Kilroys before?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6 cinders07

madambee11 wrote: »
    Hi there, I would like some help in doing the supervision project if someone can. I have a 5000 word count on a project with Kilroys and I am just having a hard time coming up with ideas for the project. Has anyone done theirs with Kilroys before?
    Hi, I am doing my course elsewhere,but I explained the difference between leadership and management and related it to some management theories. Then I set up 5 examples of leadership (child leadership/teacher to teacher leadership and also showing myself being a leader by involving parents in an activity). Very simple stuff e.g. A relay race shows teamwork between the children. Relate everything back to aistear and siolta themes and standards and then you should have everything covered! Hth

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

Can I ask if there are exams with the level 6?

My wife is a foreign national and while interested in doing the course would struggle with written exams in English.
    Assignments are fine as I can correct her work and make them readable.
    TIA.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 cinders07

For the modules chosen for my course there's only one written exam-child development...I haven't done it yet, so not sure about how much writing is involved in it, sorry.

That's what I thought but was talking to lady today she works having done level 6 and said there so much work ...im working full time ..and trying to keep house going ...but need a change the course I looked at is cmit 10months online ...but would love to set up group so we could all help each other...it'll be hard on my own ..😂 hence not paying money yet ..

how are you getting on with course we are nearly finished it now only few more months been tough but glad i doing it

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭Gillouise

Can I ask if there are exams with the level 6?

My wife is a foreign national and while interested in doing the course would struggle with written exams in English.
    Assignments are fine as I can correct her work and make them readable.
    TIA.

The exam is essay style answers. But you are given plenty of time to write your answers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

Gillouise wrote: »
    The exam is essay style answers. But you are given plenty of time to write your answers.

I'm not sure her grammar would be up to it:(

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭Gillouise

I'm not sure her grammar would be up to it:(

It's not a spelling/grammar test and it's the class tutor that corrects the paper, there are plenty of people on my course with English as a second language and allowances are made. The best thing your wife could do is decide which course provider she'd like to go with and then discuss her worries with the tutor.

how are you getting on with course we are nearly finished it now only few more months been tough but glad i doing it

Good have to say I'm very surprised at how I'm keeping up with it ...i think it's because I find it easy enough to understand ..so flying along done the child development exam ..it was ok ..defo reccommend the CMIT if anyone considering doing it on line ..I'm looking into level 7 but think I'd need classroom based for that ...how are ya getin on are you working in sector ?

Good have to say I'm very surprised at how I'm keeping up with it ...i think it's because I find it easy enough to understand ..so flying along done the child development exam ..it was ok ..defo reccommend the CMIT if anyone considering doing it on line ..I'm looking into level 7 but think I'd need classroom based for that ...how are ya getin on are you working in sector ?

Yeah getting on okay I'm doing work experience as an SNA for the SNA module at the minute hopefully be working in childcare sector once I'm done college. How was exam I have it in April I'm starting to feel the pressure of trying to hand up the assignments so I can start the studying for the exam

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6 eveey

Hi Im starting the level 6 with cmit. I am dreading it :) be great to have others who are doing it at same time. and maybe could guide eachother.

Advertisement