Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Cormac O hEadhra/ Saturday View RTE

124»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,742 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

padd b1975 wrote: »
    Cormac now MIA as well as Late Debate.

Not good enough RTE.

Agree totally, the usual crud when the Dáil is not sitting.

Events happen during the summer too.

Not good enough RTE.
    No, not great.

Difficult to see RTE's opposition to these programmes. Current Affairs always brings in a good audience, politicians don't charge fees; even if O'hEadhra is fishing off the coast of An Ceathrú Rua, there are plenty of young current affairs journalists who'd be delighted for the gig.

It's the only 'Review The Week' type programmes on a Saturday. Public Service broadcasting innit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 41,104 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Not good enough RTE.

Nothing new though - A load of RTE radio current affairs programming always stops during the Summer

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,742 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

Nothing new though - A load of RTE radio current affairs programming always stops during the Summer

Yes, there’s never any news in the Summer.

Nothing ever happens.

The current affairs programmes usually run until the Oireachtas summer recess, which isn't planned this year until mid_August. A lot of the current-affairs radio programming hasn't been up and running this year because there were barely any Oireachtas sittings.

The weekends are an important time for the news cycle for various reasons, just look at the volumes churned out by the Sunday and weekend papers. Now compare that to RTE having no dedicated news programme on a Saturday, and only 2 hours for the whole weekend.

I dunno, there's a pandemic going on and it kinda seems like there should be rigorous media scrutiny. Radio is the cheapest vehicle for doing so.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,003 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

The current affairs programmes usually run until the Oireachtas summer recess, which isn't planned this year until mid_August. A lot of the current-affairs radio programming hasn't been up and running this year because there were barely any Oireachtas sittings.

The weekends are an important time for the news cycle for various reasons, just look at the volumes churned out by the Sunday and weekend papers. Now compare that to RTE having no dedicated news programme on a Saturday, and only 2 hours for the whole weekend.

I dunno, there's a pandemic going on and it kinda seems like there should be rigorous media scrutiny. Radio is the cheapest vehicle for doing so.

I agree with you. In a so called normal year everything shuts down for the month of August, jeez we are like the French et les Grands Vacances!

This year is different, there are decisions being made about education, schools, travel, the economy opening up etc. They are big issues.

The progs should keep on going with interns or juniors filling in. But the big bods might be terrified that they would be shown up or something!

BTW most programs on BBC and LBC for example keep going right the way through, with a change of presenter where necessary.

Advertisement