Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cormac O hEadhra/ Saturday View RTE

Options
  • 15-06-2011 10:43pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 14,576 ✭✭✭✭

In my opinion this geezer is top class.

Sharp, erudite, doesn't take crap.

Listening to him on RTE1 2200 hrs,.

Sharp fcuker, in my opinion.

Anyone else?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,880 ✭✭✭yosser hughes

I agree. I think he's excellent.To think they replaced him for a while there with Claire Byrne!:rolleyes: I actually thought they had given him the elbow.
    Glad to see he's back as the show deserves a presenter with a bit of gravitas and Cormac appears to have it.
    i normally give out about RTE presenters,justifiably. In this case,credit where it's due.However I can't help but feel that the powers that be just stumble across these things and were happy to replace him with an airhead like Byrne. I hear though she's being lined up to fill in for Marian:eek:
    I really don't know what any broadcaster sees in her tbh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭JonathanAnon

I heard him filling in for somebody a while back.. thought he was way too argumentative .. he was like Joe Duffy when a Republican comes on Liveline..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,576 ✭✭✭✭FlutterinBantam

I heard him filling in for somebody a while back.. thought he was way too argumentative .. he was like Joe Duffy when a Republican comes on Liveline..

No harm in that shhhhurely;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,662 ✭✭✭GSF

A bit too much of the John Humphreys style "finally in 30 seconds explain how you would resolve Irelands debt crisis and bring about Middle East peace"

Opening things up and letting people talk a bit when they genuinely have something worth saying wouldnt hurt.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭JonathanAnon

No harm in that shhhhurely;)

Well it might have been the case that he was overcompensating, as he would have been the "new boy" filling in.. And I'm sure he didnt want to be seen as an easy touch..

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

Cormac Ó hEadhra is a far better interviewer on Raidió na Gaeltachta. It could be because he has more time

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,484 ✭✭✭Red Alert

He was a huge loss to the Late Debate, he always did a brilliant job and didn't let anyone on the panel away with anything. Best of all, he actually knew his stuff inside out and it was clear he'd done his homework. (What the hell were they thinking inflicting ClAirehead Byrne on the public?)

• Registered Users Posts: 573 ✭✭✭bureau2009

Red Alert wrote: »
    (What the hell were they thinking inflicting ClAIRehead Byrne on the public?)

It is one of the most extraordinary mysteries in the entire history of Irish radio.

Rumour has it she will deputise for Marian Finucane over the summer - extraordinary that she could get this gig.

If I were Controller at RTE Radio 1 I would give Rachel English the gig permanently and let Marian Finucane compete for a radio presenter's contract on INDEPENDENT radio...............

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 TheBorderFox1

In my opinion this geezer is top class.

Sharp, erudite, doesn't take crap.

Listening to him on RTE1 2200 hrs,.

Sharp fcuker, in my opinion.

Anyone else?

I would strongly agree here - Cormac O'Hara most certainly is the real deal.

Cormac Ó hEadhra is back on The Late Debate this week.
    His daily news programme is fantastic, much better than the english language versions
    http://www.rte.ie/rnag/cormac-ag-a-cuig/

I don't understand why he is not promoted further. Imo, he is better than Philip Boucher-Hayes.

• Advertisement

I agree. I think he's excellent.To think they replaced him for a while there with Claire Byrne!:rolleyes: I actually thought they had given him the elbow.
    Glad to see he's back as the show deserves a presenter with a bit of gravitas and Cormac appears to have it.
    i normally give out about RTE presenters,justifiably. In this case,credit where it's due.However I can't help but feel that the powers that be just stumble across these things and were happy to replace him with an airhead like Byrne. I hear though she's being lined up to fill in for Marian:eek:
    I really don't know what any broadcaster sees in her tbh.
    Agree completely about Corman O'Hara.

And agree completely about Claire Byrne :eek:

(I could have written this post myself!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,657 ✭✭✭CountyHurler

Although my alter ego posted earlier in this thread with a negative opinion of Mr O'Hara.... I'd just like to post that I think he's very good on The Late Debate... You'd wonder how he doesnt have a prime time show on Radio One, and how Mary Wilson does...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 907 ✭✭✭foxtrot101

I thought Flutt was back there for a second. I'm a bit disappointed.

Although my alter ego posted earlier in this thread with a negative opinion of Mr O'Hara.... I'd just like to post that I think he's very good on The Late Debate... You'd wonder how he doesnt have a prime time show on Radio One, and how Mary Wilson does...
    It's certainly a mystery as to how Mary Wilson got a daily show.

Today's Independent reporting Keelin Shanley will take over Late Debate in the New Year.

Sounds like a shake-up right through Radio 1 from January 2015.

Cormac standing in for Mary Wilson.

so who's doing Cormac's show on RnaG 1700-1800 :eek:

edit: it's mairin ni ghadhra, who travelled from Conamara to Dublin to stand-in.
    most odd - Has that type of switch ever happened before? I presume it shows that rté think he's pretty good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,657 ✭✭✭CountyHurler

snubbleste wrote: »
    Cormac standing in for Mary Wilson.

He should be given the show full time. He is way ahead of Mary Wilson as a broadcaster... Not that that is putting the bar very high..

That goes without saying.

But, has it ever happened where a host was moved from the same slot on another station just to replace someone and his replacement has to travel to Dublin with all the expenses (accommodation, travel)?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭conorh91

Love listening to Corma O hEadhra; he spares nobody. Like a younger, more lucid version of Vincent Browne.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,988 ✭✭✭constitutionus

Yup.

I was crestfallen when he was taken off late debate ( for being TOO good at his job IMO -) Keelins turned it into "marion at night " .

FAR too dinner partyish .

So I'm delighted he's on drivetime. The longer the better as far as I'm conscerned

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭conorh91

Is he gone permanently from the Late Debate? Why does RTE not seem to take The Late Debate seriously? They've shafted Cormac O Hara twice, and unfortunately, Audrey Carville's talent was spotted, so she left.

I like Keelin Shanley, I think she'd do well as a replacement for Brendan O'Connor on Saturday night TV. Or a replacement for John Murray in the mornings. That general-interest magazine format suits her.

The Late Debate should have a heavy-hitter like Cormac IMO.

Ridiculous that he doesn't have a permanent slot in RTE Radio 1 or TV, and the likes of Claire Byrne do.

Eh, we love Cormac on RnaG and ye's can't have 'im

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Karmann Reeves

My only gripe with Cormac is that, like a lot of other RTE presenters, he is over zealous in his desire to establish his gaeilgeoir credentials. His elocution swerves when pronouncing 'Met Eireann' would put Lionel Messi to shame. For god's sake, when your speaking English, please exercise some consistency in pronunciation. When speaking to my mates about a recent trip to Paris, I don't hawk up a lump of phlegm, just to prove I know how to pronounce 'Paris' in the French language. And don't get me started on 'An Ghhhhaaarrrda Shouuiiaaachhhhaannnnnnaaaaaa!!!!!!!! Don't worry pal - you have a job for life, you don't have to rub it in!

• Registered Users Posts: 19,084 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

My only gripe with Cormac is that, like a lot of other RTE presenters, he is over zealous in his desire to establish his gaeilgeoir credentials. His elocution swerves when pronouncing 'Met Eireann' would put Lionel Messi to shame. For god's sake, when your speaking English, please exercise some consistency in pronunciation. When speaking to my mates about a recent trip to Paris, I don't hawk up a lump of phlegm, just to prove I know how to pronounce 'Paris' in the French language. And don't get me started on 'An Ghhhhaaarrrda Shouuiiaaachhhhaannnnnnaaaaaa!!!!!!!! Don't worry pal - you have a job for life, you don't have to rub it in!

He'd actually do better if he pronounced his 'Os' and 'Us' properly

I'm a bit tired of Dooblin,cumpany and Guvvernment to be quite honest.

He's in there with Conor Brophy and a few more on that team.

I think he pronounces them correctly :D
    He tries to use gaeilge any am he gets freisin.

I'm sure they're correct Irish pronunciations. I simply find it irritating and unnecessarily pedantic . Like the way Pat Kenny pronounces the word poem - "Poim"!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭P. Breathnach

I'm sure they're correct Irish pronunciations. I simply find it irritating and unnecessarily pedantic ....
    What's objectionable about correct pronunciation?

If I use a French phrase in English, I pronounce in the French way. To do otherwise might be considered a folks' pass.

Lol. Yes, I take your point but that would probably be a 'fox pass'. I'm not really talking about phonetic pronunciation. I'm just into less o.t.t. imitation of the other language's pronunciation e.g. would you say 'plaster of Paris' or 'plaster of parhhee'. There are other manifestations of this kind of zeal. I often shudder when I hear soccer pundits talking about 'stadia' as if they had just walked out of the Roman Forum or, worse, the recognition of the ancient silent h in 'hotel' or 'historical'. So we get "we stayed in AN hotel on AN historical tour of the stadia of Spain". Have you ever heard George Hamilton use the words 'goal keeper' or even 'keeper'? No - he prefers 'Custodian'! Custodians of the peace - An Ghaarrrdaaaa SSuuiccchaannnnnaa!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,191 ✭✭✭Eugene Norman

Lol. Yes, I take your point but that would probably be a 'fox pass'. I'm not really talking about phonetic pronunciation. I'm just into less o.t.t. imitation of the other language's pronunciation e.g. would you say 'plaster of Paris' or 'plaster of parhhee'. There are other manifestations of this kind of zeal. I often shudder when I hear soccer pundits talking about 'stadia' as if they had just walked out of the Roman Forum or, worse, the recognition of the ancient silent h in 'hotel' or 'historical'. So we get "we stayed in AN hotel on AN historical tour of the stadia of Spain". Have you ever heard George Hamilton use the words 'goal keeper' or even 'keeper'? No - he prefers 'Custodian'! Custodians of the peace - An Ghaarrrdaaaa SSuuiccchaannnnnaa!

He's a great man for penultimate. Ultimate, not so much. as its a smaller word

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,084 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

He's a great man for penultimate. Ultimate, not so much. as its a smaller word

'Pen' from the Greek = 'almost' as in peninsula - almost an Island

Therefor penultimate almost the ultimate,the semi -final like

Just thought I'd throw that snippet in to show George is a well educated lad.

Advertisement