Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Green Bay Packers Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,830 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

digzy wrote: »
    Bit concerned to see we’ve had some virtual meetings with qb S!! We need o line, lb and cb. Why waste a first round pick on someone who won’t play for at least 2 years

I wish ye took that approach back when ye decided to draft Rodgers. Was he a wasted pick?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭digzy

Rodgers has at most 3 seasons left in him. We have to go all in. There’s no guarantee a qb we draft at 30 will deliver. The playoff game showed our weaknesses. We’re not weak at qb....right now!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,014 ✭✭✭cosatron

Rodgers has at most 3 seasons left in him. We have to go all in. There’s no guarantee a qb we draft at 30 will deliver. The playoff game showed our weaknesses. We’re not weak at qb....right now!

If 1 of the top 5 qbs are still on the board at 30, I would be very disappointed if his not drafted. Looking at this years draft class, the wide outs is deep so we could pick up a good one in the second round, there are only 2 inside linebackers worth a first round pick and they will be gone, all the good right tackles will be off the board and we have a knack of turning 3rd/4th round lineman into to pro bowlers. D lineman would be nice but not essential. So in summary I think if Murray and queen are off the board, we will be drafting best player available.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,744 ✭✭✭raze_them_all_

cosatron wrote: »
    If 1 of the top 5 qbs are still on the board at 30, I would be very disappointed if his not drafted. Looking at this years draft class, the wide outs is deep so we could pick up a good one in the second round, there are only 2 inside linebackers worth a first round pick and they will be gone, all the good right tackles will be off the board and we have a knack of turning 3rd/4th round lineman into to pro bowlers. D lineman would be nice but not essential. So in summary I think if Murray and queen are off the board, we will be drafting best player available.

We picked up a wr in off season, we need either a tight end or at least a first 2 round qb, I'm tired of seen us pick qbs up in round 4+ Tom Brady is Tom Brady, generally your qbs are pretty pointless after round 3 at most

cosatron wrote: »

What are the chances there’s a decent qb available at #30?
    I don’t see the reason to go speculating on a qb ( Brett Huntley ffs) when we have a good one. Rodgers will qb for the next few seasons. Not giving one of the games greats a shot at a Super Bowl now is madness. Might as well trade him if we’re not ‘ all in’.

• Advertisement

What are the chances there’s a decent qb available at #30?
    I don’t see the reason to go speculating on a qb ( Brett Huntley ffs) when we have a good one. Rodgers will qb for the next few seasons. Not giving one of the games greats a shot at a Super Bowl now is madness. Might as well trade him if we’re not ‘ all in’.

We got a new wr, outside of the what do we need?? You can get linemen and that in lower rounds and they turn out pretty decent. We filled Blake martinez leaving

We got a new wr, outside of the what do we need?? You can get linemen and that in lower rounds and they turn out pretty decent. We filled Blake martinez leaving

We need an o lineman, an ilb and a cb.

We need an o lineman, an ilb and a cb.
    Signed kirksey in off season, will pick one up round 3 ish I'd image. Signed a lineman, can pick one up in round 4 and they should do, packers develop linemen super well. Cb is the only need I see, if it comes down to one the better qbs sliding down to us or a cb in round one I'll take a qb

Signed kirksey in off season, will pick one up round 3 ish I'd image. Signed a lineman, can pick one up in round 4 and they should do, packers develop linemen super well. Cb is the only need I see, if it comes down to one the better qbs sliding down to us or a cb in round one I'll take a qb

You’re missing the point. How does drafting a qb help us ‘win now’ ?

You’re missing the point. How does drafting a qb help us ‘win now’ ?

I don't think the packers will win a sb with ar again. Too much needed to win now. You need a te, slot, new dl men, prob another lb prob another safety,. I'll take a drafted qb, sit him for 2 years behind ar and learn. This win now bull**** never works, look at the rams, they went win now and now are in cap hell

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,932 ✭✭✭Blut2

The Packers were one game away from the Superbowl last season. They should definitely roll the dice and go "win now" this season, its probably the last chance for 5 years.

I don't think they will win because of the weaknesses elsewhere in the team, but even if the win now attempt this season doesn't work out, and the team fails badly, at least in that scenario the 1st round pick for next season will likely be much higher than this years. So it wouldn't cost quite as much to trade up to get an actual top QB prospect.

He'd still have a season to learn and mature under AR, and possibly a second season if AR could be negotiated into a reasonable "final year" deal after the current break clause.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,369 ✭✭✭UnitedIrishman

Blut2 wrote: »
    The Packers were one game away from the Superbowl last season. They should definitely roll the dice and go "win now" this season, its probably the last chance for 5 years.

I don't think they will win because of the weaknesses elsewhere in the team, but even if the win now attempt this season doesn't work out, and the team fails badly, at least in that scenario the 1st round pick for next season will likely be much higher than this years. So it wouldn't cost quite as much to trade up to get an actual top QB prospect.

He'd still have a season to learn and mature under AR, and possibly a second season if AR could be negotiated into a reasonable "final year" deal after the current break clause.

Unless they have a phenomenal rest of draft, Packers have once again pissed away an opportunity to give Rodgers the tools he needs.

Really really don't get the choice of Love. They are basically saying Rodgers is done in 3 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,032 ✭✭✭✭Foxtrol

No upside in the short term at all and just brings drama into the team

I'm actually happy enough with that. I always prefer when a team looks to the future sensibly.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,112 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

Unless they have a phenomenal rest of draft, Packers have once again pissed away an opportunity to give Rodgers the tools he needs.

Really really don't get the choice of Love. They are basically saying Rodgers is done in 3 years.

How do you know that?

How do you know a high ranked, let’s say receiver, will be a success?

For me, planning for QB future is prudent, you have to pull the QB trigger at some stage, not when Rogers is on his last legs.

Doing it now gives the team a chance evaluate, check what they have and plan for whatever that outcome is.

While it may not be a popular pick I think it’s a good one.

• Registered Users Posts: 865 ✭✭✭pedatron

p9l9b20r1pu41.jpg

pedatron wrote: »
    p9l9b20r1pu41.jpg

ha, the funny thing about this, considering all the great receivers we've had, we haven't drafted a wide receiver in the first round since 2002, hard to believe. So maybe the ron wolf/ted Thompson school of thought don't value wide recievers.

I really don’t get this ‘ packers don’t value line backers’.
    Our corners ain’t exactly world class either & we’ve drafted enough over the years!

Our lb group even if Kirksey stays fit looks very underwhelming.

I really don’t get this ‘ packers don’t value line backers’.
    Our corners ain’t exactly world class either & we’ve drafted enough over the years!

Our lb group even if Kirksey stays fit looks very underwhelming.

when watching the draft this morning and seen the trade I was full sure it was for Queen but then they had love's house on the screen and his girlfriend or sister was wiping a tear from her eye and knew then they were drafting him. Still allot of good value today, hoping for a linebacker and wide receiver

• Registered Users Posts: 1,644 ✭✭✭D9Male

Bucky Brooks said it. Don't go shopping when you're hungry. It worked for Favre -> Brady so I find it hard to be too critical.

Love is definitely "toolsy" given all I have read about him. But "boom or bust" written all over him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,112 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

D9Male wrote: »
    Bucky Brooks said it. Don't go shopping when you're hungry. It worked for Favre -> Brady so I find it hard to be too critical.

Love is definitely "toolsy" given all I have read about him. But "boom or bust" written all over him.

Boom or bust is written over everyone,as far a I can see it.

Ok, Rogers isn’t going to last forever, nobody is.

He has to be replaced at some stage and there has to be some kind of plan for a permanent replacement, not a temporary stand in.

Given the Packers have been solid as a rock at QB since at least the the Favre era and have been a winning season(more and less) why not continue the strategy.

Short of tanking a season the Packers won’t get a top of the range QB, so stop the fchurrke expecting that.

I feel the receiving corps is very good. There will be offloads but it’s well populated with big good( not great) players. apart from 17.

So... I’m good with that ......

• Registered Users Posts: 5,369 ✭✭✭UnitedIrishman

I get the whole Rodgers isn't going to last forever thing. But any chance we could give him something to work with whilst we do have him? We were good last season but the 49ers game showed some glaring holes that we need to fill. Getting a backup QB, and now a RB when we have Aaron Jones and Jamaal Williams?

To me it's as if they're saying they are moving on from Rodgers in a couple of seasons.

Edit - and now just drafted a TE that most had as a late round prospect. I hate to be negative, and I sincerely hope I'm wrong but I think this draft may end up being a disaster.

I get the whole Rodgers isn't going to last forever thing. But any chance we could give him something to work with whilst we do have him? We were good last season but the 49ers game showed some glaring holes that we need to fill. Getting a backup QB, and now a RB when we have Aaron Jones and Jamaal Williams?

To me it's as if they're saying they are moving on from Rodgers in a couple of seasons.

Edit - and now just drafted a TE that most had as a late round prospect. I hate to be negative, and I sincerely hope I'm wrong but I think this draft may end up being a disaster.

Rodgers will be 40 in a few seasons. You want to move on from them. And Jones or Williams will be gone once their contract is up, hard to see us holding onto both, my brai says williams

• Registered Users Posts: 4,004 ✭✭✭Jofspring

Why do people treat the draft like it's make or break for a team? Fair enough you can get some talent out of it but you can also pick up some very good players in free agency and trades. There are also a lot of duds that come out of the draft.

Last season Rodgers stayed healthy but the previous 2 seasons he has been very injury prone. All it takes is one hit and his season could be over. They need to be looking at cover here also.

If we could pick up another solid receiver and maybe an experienced TE before the season starts then I don't think we will have done too bad. Certainly not as bad as some are making out.

Jofspring wrote: »
    Why do people treat the draft like it's make or break for a team? Fair enough you can get some talent out of it but you can also pick up some very good players in free agency and trades. There are also a lot of duds that come out of the draft.

Last season Rodgers stayed healthy but the previous 2 seasons he has been very injury prone. All it takes is one hit and his season could be over. They need to be looking at cover here also.

If we could pick up another solid receiver and maybe an experienced TE before the season starts then I don't think we will have done too bad. Certainly not as bad as some are making out.

I'd also like another lb. We're a bit meh there. Te I can live without for another season see if one if ours can step up

Pretty bizarre day one and two so far. I can see the logic behind getting a QB, but as I posted before I think next year would have been better timing-wise. If Rodgers is still playing well in 2 years time when we hit the break clause in his contract its going to create a huge Favre-saga esque headache: do you let Rodgers go despite him still playing well? Do you keep Rodgers, and waste the value years of Love's rookie contract?

I know Rodgers will be 38 at that stage, but thats no longer a guarantee that he'll be a goner with top tier QBs - so many of them are still playing well at that age these days.

But then last night taking a RB to be 3rd string when there are plenty of positions in far more need of players...and taking both him and a TE way ahead of where they were projected to go in every analysis?

In two years time we'll either look back on it as a masterful draft that completely surprised everyone's expectations. Or else a complete failure.

Reading reports on it they are saying Packers were extremely keen on getting Love in and didn't want to let him pass. Obviously they weighed up QB's coming through in the next two years and felt Love was worth the pick now rather than wait and see.

As mentioned it's either a genius move long term or will seriously backfire. At the end of the day the coach and GM are putting their necks on the line so you have to trust they think it's worth it.

Surely a trade on the cards now for a WR? You'd have to imagine they are looking at someone.

Has to be. Has to be a trade.

• Advertisement

I'd love to see a gamble taken on Dez Bryant. If they could get him on a mostly performance based/pay-to-play contract he'd be worth it.

Advertisement