Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

General Rugby Discussion II

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,221 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

Christy42 wrote: »
    At least the French and English will feel better about not winning it when the comp involves SA and NZ?

"But relegation..."

• Registered Users Posts: 7,332 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

Christy42 wrote: »
    At least the French and English will feel better about not winning it when the comp involves SA and NZ?

English have won it three times in the last four years, to be fair to them (distasteful as that is). Even if some will put a * beside those wins.

sydthebeat wrote: »

I'm sitting down with a cuppa to watch this again... Classic!!

Some of the offloads are.... insane? Look at this one by Aaron Smith

https://youtu.be/Gywo08X2yNs?t=910

Blind pass on your own line to avoid a lineout? Is that not crazy reckless?

• Subscribers Posts: 40,989 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Some of the offloads are.... insane? Look at this one by Aaron Smith

https://youtu.be/Gywo08X2yNs?t=910

Blind pass on your own line to avoid a lineout? Is that not crazy reckless?

Completely :)

Live by the sword, die by the sword.

That game was manic for 'ball in game' time... Boths teams wanting to play expansive, off loading fast rugby

• Registered Users Posts: 24,745 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

English have won it three times in the last four years, to be fair to them (distasteful as that is). Even if some will put a * beside those wins.

Last 5 have been 3 English, 1 French and 1 Irish titles. At the time of the change in format discussion, which started in 2013, it was quite different in fairness. It had been 3 Irish and 2 French. Winning it isnt really their issue. Money is. Although I'd be of the opinion that while they continue to chase the magical money tree they're after, their continued refusal to consider internal change to how they run the game domestically will always ensure they are chasing their tails looking for more money. This isnt soccer. Revenue opportunities are infinitely smaller.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,332 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

molloyjh wrote: »
    Last 5 have been 3 English, 1 French and 1 Irish titles. At the time of the change in format discussion, which started in 2013, it was quite different in fairness. It had been 3 Irish and 2 French. Winning it isnt really their issue. Money is. Although I'd be of the opinion that while they continue to chase the magical money tree they're after, their continued refusal to consider internal change to how they run the game domestically will always ensure they are chasing their tails looking for more money. This isnt soccer. Revenue opportunities are infinitely smaller.

Oh, I don't disagree with you at all. Just that the traditional joke unfortunately doesn't really apply anymore (to the English at least).

Agreed regarding their domestic scene. I'm just hoping this current situation prompts them to do something about it that doesn't try **** everyone else over in the process.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,867 ✭✭✭Christy42

Sure. And the team they had as favourites are gone now. It * are irrelevant to them but the future is not. They want the revenue and the want the plaudits but they can't accept that the flaws may be their own.

Watching 1996 super rugby final, blues v sharks.

Jesus the scrums were a mess.
    Lomu was a different class to everyone on the field.
    And its great to think it's so weird to see a SA team with no black players

• Registered Users Posts: 16,670 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

Frans Steyn signs for the Cheetahs. That's a big acquisition for the Pro 14 as a whole.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,564 ✭✭✭RugbyLover123

Clegg wrote: »
    Frans Steyn signs for the Cheetahs. That's a big acquisition for the Pro 14 as a whole.

Is it? Might sound like an odd thing to say considering he’s only just won his 2nd World Cup but he has been past it for a good few years imo. He has played very little for the Boks and has hardly lit up Montpellier.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,605 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

Is it? Might sound like an odd thing to say considering he’s only just won his 2nd World Cup but he has been past it for a good few years imo. He has played very little for the Boks and has hardly lit up Montpellier.

In terms of performances? Maybe not, but the more big names the saffer teams can attract, the more it might entice supporters to tune in and see how Steyn or Pienaar etc perform.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,382 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

Whilst he probably is past his best, he hasn't played for the boks due to a dispute with them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

Clegg wrote: »

No harm, might entice some crowds into games in SA

• Registered Users Posts: 17,742 ✭✭✭✭bilston

Not that either player is young, but having Frans Steyn and Ruan Pienaar will at the very least help their profile.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,670 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

• Registered Users Posts: 5,960 ✭✭✭Yeah_Right

Watching 1996 super rugby final, blues v sharks.

Jesus the scrums were a mess.
    Lomu was a different class to everyone on the field.
    And its great to think it's so weird to see a SA team with no black players

Just trying to remember who was in that Blues team. Front row would have been Dowd, Fitzy and Brown. Who was with Robin Brooke at lock? Reichelman? Loosies were Jones, Brooke and Blowers? Tonu'u at 9? King Carlos at 10, midfield was Stensness and Clarke I think. Then Vidiri, Lomu and Cashmore in the back 3. One of the greatest ever teams.

Yeah_Right wrote: »
    Just trying to remember who was in that Blues team. Front row would have been Dowd, Fitzy and Brown. Who was with Robin Brooke at lock? Reichelman? Loosies were Jones, Brooke and Blowers? Tonu'u at 9? King Carlos at 10, midfield was Stensness and Clarke I think. Then Vidiri, Lomu and Cashmore in the back 3. One of the greatest ever teams.

yeah youve got it almost perfect...

Ngauamo played at 12, i assume stensness was injured as he didnt play in the semi final either

• Registered Users Posts: 5,960 ✭✭✭Yeah_Right

yeah youve got it almost perfect...

Ngauamo played at 12, i assume stensness was injured as he didnt play in the semi final either

I'd forgotten all about Ngauamo. Decent player. To be honest, I never really rated Stensness. One of those guys that looked brilliant at provincial or even SR level sometimes but was muck at test level. The kiwi Darren Cave :D

• Registered Users Posts: 24,176 ✭✭✭✭Buer

I don't know what planet Wayne Pivac is living on when discussing the Welsh summer games that are scheduled.

"I don't think anyone wants these tours to be cancelled. We need them to be played," said Pivac.

He admitted that "two or three" Welsh players have had the virus "that he's aware of". Enough of a politician's answer and vagueness to suspect there have been more.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

Watching the Lions second test in South Africa here on Sky Sports.
    That Burger eye gouge though, still unbelievable to watch the officials reacting to it.

• Advertisement

razorblunt wrote: »
    Watching the Lions second test in South Africa here on Sky Sports.
    That Burger eye gouge though, still unbelievable to watch the officials reacting to it.

I can never watch that match knowing how it ends. Just agonising to watch.

Watched the 2009 HC final this morning, onto the 2018 final now

• Registered Users Posts: 4,015 ✭✭✭Digifriendly

Wales Online reporting that plans are being made for a repeat 6N tournament in the autumn if Southern Hemisphere teams are prevented from travelling for autumn internationals. This would primarily be to recoup lost revenue but leaves a lot of unasnswered questions re conclusion of present 6N tournament, reaction of Pro 14/English Premiership/Top 14 clubs in having to release players etc.

See - https://www.walesonline.co.uk/sport/rugby/rugby-news/wales-set-meet-england-again-18113869

• Registered Users Posts: 11,283 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

Wales Online reporting that plans are being made for a repeat 6N tournament in the autumn if Southern Hemisphere teams are prevented from travelling for autumn internationals. This would primarily be to recoup lost revenue but leaves a lot of unasnswered questions re conclusion of present 6N tournament, reaction of Pro 14/English Premiership/Top 14 clubs in having to release players etc.

See - https://www.walesonline.co.uk/sport/rugby/rugby-news/wales-set-meet-england-again-18113869

I’d say there are a load of contingency plans being put in place but restrictions are the things that will decide what happens and I’d be surprised if by then huge gatherings are allowed.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,742 ✭✭✭✭bilston

Hate to say it but I doubt we will be allowed to have 50k turning up to the Aviva in November. I think the days of sell out sports events are over until a vaccine or a cure is found. I wouldn't even be confident that the 2021 Six Nations will go ahead with full stadiums.

It's depressing but unless there is some sort of regular mass testing programme in place by the Autumn I really don't see a way round it.

I suppose if you could a few thousand in and show the games on TV you'd get some cash coming in, but the more I look at it the more I think professional rugby could be financially ravaged by Covid 19.

bilston wrote: »
    Hate to say it but I doubt we will be allowed to have 50k turning up to the Aviva in November. I think the days of sell out sports events are over until a vaccine or a cure is found. I wouldn't even be confident that the 2021 Six Nations will go ahead with full stadiums.

It's depressing but unless there is some sort of regular mass testing programme in place by the Autumn I really don't see a way round it.

I suppose if you could a few thousand in and show the games on TV you'd get some cash coming in, but the more I look at it the more I think professional rugby could be financially ravaged by Covid 19.

Starting to think this way myself unfortunately.

There were no shortage of teams in financial distress prior to covid19, very difficult discussions around capital rationing will be ongoing.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,199 ✭✭✭troyzer

Simon Harris was interviewed by the sindo yesterday and said very directly that he doesn't think we'll have any mass gatherings for the rest of the year.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,993 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

troyzer wrote: »
    Simon Harris was interviewed by the sindo yesterday and said very directly that he doesn't think we'll have any mass gatherings for the rest of the year.

Yes - Any Major sporting (or otherwise) event will be behind closed doors until wide-spread vaccinations are in place I'd say..which could be this time next year more than likely.

We might see a very rapid shift to Pay per view to try to generate revenue in the absence of crowds..

This could accelerate the progress on VR spectator sports. I gotta go buy some stocks...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,728 ✭✭✭Former Former

At some point, rugby administrators are going to have to realise that this season is a write off and it's next season they need to be salvaging.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement