Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Dail / New Taoiseach

Options
1343536373840»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,809 ✭✭✭CrabRevolution

Quin_Dub wrote: »
    In Practice, a National Unity Government means - "Look somebody throw together a government and we all promise to play nice on the understanding that when this is all over we'll have another Election"

On some levels it's a reasonable suggestion - Let's put aside all the negotiations for a new Government for the moment , let's fill the blanks in the Senate and Cabinet - e.g. Replace people like Regina Doherty , Shane Ross etc. and move forward for now , but this Dail will only last until such time as this crisis is over - 6 Months , 12 Months or whatever the agreement is.

Yeah I can see the benefits from a procedural sense. But in actions I can't see them agreeing. How will it be possible to "play nice" if they have totally different plans for the country?

What happens when inevitably the parties involve try to hijack the situation and use the "emergency" excuse to push through their normal policies that other parties might disagree with? Like I said, say one party demands the rent freeze last for years? Or normal jobseekers to be moved up to €350 a week?

• Registered Users Posts: 26,123 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

Yeah I can see the benefits from a procedural sense. But in actions I can't see them agreeing. How will it be possible to "play nice" if they have totally different plans for the country?

What happens when inevitably the parties involve try to hijack the situation and use the "emergency" excuse to push through their normal policies that other parties might disagree with? Like I said, say one party demands the rent freeze last for years? Or normal jobseekers to be moved up to €350 a week?
    Obviously, a party would only do that if its objective was to crash the national government. And no national government can possibly work if the parties don't want it to. So the question is, is it possible to devise a feasible plan for a national government, assuming the major parties actually want one?

The UK had a national government from 1939-1945. It worked on the basis that the parties would support everything necessary to fight and win the war and all other agendas would be deferred until after the war. You could use your position in government to research, to plan, to debate - but nothing would actually be implemented until after the first postwar general election. So for instance the Beveridge Report, laying the groundwork for what we now know as the UK's national insurance system and National Health Service, was produced in 1942 (by Liberal ministers, interestingly, not Labour) but nothing was done to implement it - and there was no commitment to implement it - until Labour won the 1945 general election.

Something similar would have to happen here. Parties who haven't won an election (and none of them have) who are brought into government to fight the coronavirus would have to accept that they are being brought into government only to fight the coronavirus, and that they had no mandate to use their position in government to advance any other policy or agenda.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,612 ✭✭✭✭zell12

Leo is probably wishing he had not called an election for February.
    If he'd done so this summer, FG would win a landslide, as the electorate would've forgotten the A&E trolley saga, swing-gate, homelessness, various garda scandals, climate issues, etc. Leo the medic would look like a hero

• Registered Users Posts: 4,368 ✭✭✭beggars_bush

zell12 wrote: »
    Leo is probably wishing he had not called an election for February.
    If he'd done so this summer, FG would win a landslide, as the electorate would've forgotten the A&E trolley saga, swing-gate, homelessness, various garda scandals, climate issues, etc. Leo the medic would look like a hero

He had to. They had lost a workable majority in the Dail

• Registered Users Posts: 9,370 ✭✭✭Phoebas

zell12 wrote: »
    Leo the medic would look like a hero
    That's a very optimistic view; I'd be very doubtful that this thing will be nearly sorted by the summer or that when it is sorted we'll be in a congratulatory mood.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,123 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

Phoebas wrote: »
    That's a very optimistic view; I'd be very doubtful that this thing will be nearly sorted by the summer or that when it is sorted we'll be in a congratulatory mood.
    No. But in fact Leo has already had a fillip in the polls, up to 34%, mostly at the expense of FF.

This isn't unusual in a democracy facing crisis, if the government makes even half a fist of providing leadership. But polls boosts like this tend not to last very long. George Bush Snr got a substantial boost in the polls as a result of the first Gulf War (1990-91) but went on to lose the 1992 election to Bill Clinton.

• Registered Users Posts: 859 ✭✭✭Randy Archer

dixiefly wrote: »
    I have to say as a person who does not follow a huge amount of politics that I am really surprised (and disappointed) at the showing of the Labour Party in the polls.

Labour got an unfair amount of the blame for the bad parts of their government but very litte of the credit for what went right.

What sparked this thought was that someone said to me that they would vote Labour but they had no chance. To me I would far rather Labour than Sinn Fein as I feel they have a record of delivering a level of change - but one that is affordable.

Is it Brendan Howlin as a leader or did they just lose so many T.D.'s that they have no traction anymore?

They promised too much in 2011 and they completely disowned the “wurking class” by openly and unashamedly chasing the middle class vote . A lot of careerists joined the party with little to no labour credentials

It was Frankfurts way or labours way

Labour don’t have the same kind of loyal core of followers that FG and FF have, the latter party could win votes from the plebs and at the same time win votes off the landed folk

Labour go from Spring tide to almost collapse by the next election despite doing a damn good job in 1992-1996. Recent time was no different . Then again, as the pages on this site will probably show, between 2009 -2011 it was a case of “let’s give labour a chance ,they can’t be any worse “ all without analysing who they are . That’s no way to vote

Remarkable thing is, it was elements of SInn Fein Workers Party / Democratic Left that destroyed Labour and turned their back on their core members. Pat Rabbitte “it’s what you do” became FG lite

• Registered Users Posts: 5,540 ✭✭✭Leonard Hofstadter

Peregrinus wrote: »
    No. But in fact Leo has already had a fillip in the polls, up to 34%, mostly at the expense of FF.

This isn't unusual in a democracy facing crisis, if the government makes even half a fist of providing leadership. But polls boosts like this tend not to last very long. George Bush Snr got a substantial boost in the polls as a result of the first Gulf War (1990-91) but went on to lose the 1992 election to Bill Clinton.

Exactly. FG are deservedly getting a boost because of how well they've handled it, but because this is directly related to how they've handled it, it won't last, they'll go back to low to mid-20s shortly after it is over.

As we saw with Brexit, eaten bread is very quickly forgotten, especially as the next five years there's going to be no money, and now more than ever do we need good economic management (which inevitably involves saying 'no' to every vested interest out there). They'll be back to the 21% they got in the General Election by the end of the year without a doubt. I don't think even sorting out housing (which ironically will be a lot easier because of how many people will have lost their jobs - and even when we do get back to normal, people will think and act differently when they've realised just how many things we thought were necessary really are not necessary) will boost their popularity, although I suppose it can't make them any more unpopular.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭Runaways

Just on the job losses. Are we going to see a whole new wave of banks repossessing houses after this?
    Shouldn’t that have been one of the things the finance minister took the banks to task over in his meeting with them?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,540 ✭✭✭Leonard Hofstadter

Runaways wrote: »
    Just on the job losses. Are we going to see a whole new wave of banks repossessing houses after this?
    Shouldn’t that have been one of the things the finance minister took the banks to task over in his meeting with them?

Surely the fact that there's a 3 month mortgage holiday (for those who need it) is an example of the Finance Minister trying to prevent exactly what you've described above from happening?

• Advertisement

Surely the fact that there's a 3 month mortgage holiday (for those who need it) is an example of the Finance Minister trying to prevent exactly what you've described above from happening?

Yeah but a huge amount Of those jobs won’t be coming back in the aftermath

• Registered Users Posts: 9,370 ✭✭✭Phoebas

Peregrinus wrote: »

I'd predict this will go one of three ways:
    1. We get off lightly and it'll take no time at all for the opposition to start berating the government for imposing Draconian restrictions and wrecking the economy.
    2. It turns into a complete shìtshow and the government will get the blame for not being ready.
    3. This goes on and on for a year or more with rolling restrictions and nobody is going to thank the government for that.

Any way it goes, I can't see the government coming out of it well.
    If I look back to the financial crisis for a template, the parties that got us through that bore more of the blame than the party that arguably caused the depth of our problems.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,073 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

Yes of course they are. Parish pump is where it is at.

But the left leaning ones are in favour of policies that are not left leaning but could be popular with their target audience. That is trying to get it both ways.

Why does no one call FF or FG populist then?

tobsey wrote: »
    SF went massively further in their promises for extra public spending. €25bn over five years while also cutting taxes. Without the pandemic or any even minor blip it was completely unsustainable. Other parties budgeted on the basis of the economy to continue to grow so they did promise extras, but not near as much.

Oh I agree. Their promises were ridiculous especially the abolition of the Property Tax.

But the use of the term populist is meant now as a term of abuse when political parties have always made ridiculous promises. It's the kind of lazy one word headline we get now in politics.

I heard during the week that a pre condition of government formation is to keep Leo as Taoiseach.

The latest poll will bolster that idea.

What that means for Michael Martin. It's going to be difficult for FF to mount a leadership challenge during this emergency.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,680 ✭✭✭antimatterx

I heard during the week that a pre condition of government formation is to keep Leo as Taoiseach.

What that means for Michael Martin. It's going to be difficult for FF to mount a leadership challenge during this emergency.

No one else should be Taoiseach. He had done a wonderful job, his handling of the Coronavirus has upped his status amongst voters. If no government is formed, bring on an election. FG will have an upper hand this time!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,680 ✭✭✭antimatterx

None of the election promises can be met now surely. The abolition of the Property Tax etc. All gone.

I don't think we can hold any party to their manifesto policies anymore. It's a different world than it was 8 weeks ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 437 ✭✭Robert McGrath

When was the first wave of repossessions? I must have missed that

When was the first wave of repossessions? I must have missed that

Wrong word maybe.
    I’ll rephrase. Are we going to see a wave of repossessions after this?

Better?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,892 ✭✭✭✭charlie14

I would imagine any negotiations are based on a government to run its full term. If so then it most likely will be on the basis of a rotating Taoiseach with possibly Varadkar getting first shot at it, followed by Martin. I cannot really see why FF would agree to anything other than that.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,483 ✭✭✭mr_fegelien

Does Ireland have parish pump politics compared to other countries and if so why?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,207 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

Unlikely as lending rates even thought other wanted them relaxed were fairly strictly kept to 3.5 times wages. Remember all the cries about relaxing lending rules with deposit rules and lending rules regarding investment properties we are in a totally different situation compared to 2009

Slava Ukrainii

charlie14 wrote: »
    I would imagine any negotiations are based on a government to run its full term. If so then it most likely will be on the basis of a rotating Taoiseach with possibly Varadkar getting first shot at it, followed by Martin. I cannot really see why FF would agree to anything other than that.

This scenario could split the FF party.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,892 ✭✭✭✭charlie14

I wouldn`t see there would be any more or less possibility of it splitting FF than there would be of it being the same for FG.
    Less possibility perhaps as FF since the GE results were known were keen to form a government, while many in FG wished to go into opposition.

If FF are not in government there would be more likelihood of a split imho.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,923 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

We can but dream

• Registered Users Posts: 13,105 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

Are we going to see a wave of repossessions after this?

No.

The mortgage arrears process is so slow in Ireland that there will never be a wave of repossessions.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,483 ✭✭✭mr_fegelien

Can someone tell me who are the Healy-Rae brothers and why are they praised for their parish pump politics?

• Registered Users Posts: 832 ✭✭✭Nevin Parsnipp

Burst it up you mean......surely ?

Advertisement