Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

All diesel fuel is not the same

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,040 ✭✭✭mikeecho

I'll put some into glass jars tomorrow.

The jars probably won't be identical.

Now .. which two drums do you want me to compare.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,539 ✭✭✭Allinall

What are you using the diesel for?

Why are you bothered unless you see a difference in performance?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,565 ✭✭✭K.Flyer

mikeecho wrote: »
    I'll put some into glass jars tomorrow.

The jars probably won't be identical.

Now .. which two drums do you want me to compare.

To keep the experiment consistent, use the two original drums in the first picture. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭wing52

Do motor factors not have detector kits?

Try one and see if any results.

K.Flyer wrote: »
    To keep the experiment consistent, use the two original drums in the first picture. :)

I can do that,

but I'm sure some clown on here, will want documented video proof with an independent observer from KPMG and an official from the Guinness Book of Records present.

Edit..
    I'll use plastic 500ml water bottles.

Don't think I have any empty glass jars.

There is a visible difference between the colour of fuel from both stations.

One is a lot darker than the other.
    It's probably just due to additives, but the stations are side by side, and as they are in cork, I'd imagine that both are supplied by Whitegate refinery.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,968 ✭✭✭McCrack

I can do that,

but I'm sure some clown on here, will want documented video proof with an independent observer from KPMG and an official from the Guinness Book of Records present.

Well if you want to make up some half arsed visual experiment to suit your initial agenda at least have the containers the same clear glass

McCrack wrote: »
    Well if you want to make up some half arsed visual experiment to suit your initial agenda at least have the containers the same clear glass

What's my agenda ????

• Registered Users Posts: 2,968 ✭✭✭McCrack

What's my agenda ????

Clue in the thread title

Right.. so what do you want me to do, to show the difference in fuel colour.

Keyboard warriors will always find fault with something.
    I've no intention of spending money to show what I already know.

I'll put fuel from brand A into one plastic bottle, and ditto with brand B

I'll take a pic tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,565 ✭✭✭K.Flyer

Clue in the thread title

Well to be honest I don't believe all fuels are the same. There are certain brands that my engine definitely runs better with.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

If they were pee samples, the one on the left is in trouble.

Show them in glass containers to compare.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,423 ✭✭✭pburns

Quite hostile, defensive response to OP.
    Nobody wants to believe diesel might be variable? Or the cheaper stuff might be dodgy?

I never buy on price (because variability between pumps makes a few cents diffence futile). It's hard to judge quality tho. I used to think Applegreen safe. Now I'd avoid...

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

pburns wrote: »
    Nobody wants to believe diesel might be variable? Or the cheaper stuff might be dodgy?

I never buy on price (because variability between pumps makes a few cents diffence futile). It's hard to judge quality tho. I used to think Applegreen safe. Now I'd avoid...

Wait, what? any substance to that claim?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,740 ✭✭✭893bet

Mis read. Carry on.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭Kopparberg Strawberry and Lime

All this talk of daysul and not a drop of green in sight :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,530 ✭✭✭Car99

Use two jam clear jars for your comparison today. Eat a sliced pan worth of toast smothered in jam with your tae in the morning if you have to.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,920 ✭✭✭dodzy

FFS, just do what you were asked. You come on with a question and threw up a picture of a side by side sample in 2 containers that were obviously constructed with different material, then you get all bitchy when questioned. Surely 2 clear jars, side by side, with samples from your first pic is not a monumental request?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,917 ✭✭✭✭Toyotafanboi

It'd take too long to find a single jam jar with clouded glass for the comparison.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 328 ✭✭HailSatan

Me

Ow

Skin in the game?

pburns wrote: »

Must have hit a nerve here

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 38,856 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

As I was probably the first to question your claim, I'll take your bait.
    I responded as I have a scientific background. Any "test" should be on equal terms so having the liquids in visibly different coloured containers while saying look how the liquids are a different colour is going to raise eyebrows.
    Nothing to do with being a keyboard warrior. Just looking for a fair test.

As I was probably the first to question your claim, I'll take your bait.
    I responded as I have a scientific background. Any "test" should be on equal terms so having the liquids in visibly different coloured containers while saying look how the liquids are a different colour is going to raise eyebrows.
    Nothing to do with being a keyboard warrior. Just looking for a fair test.

Did he make a decent interim attempt to address it

Here's a pic in plastic bottles.

IMG-20190917-110812.jpg

https://i.ibb.co/TtpL9vk/IMG-20190917-110812.jpg

And here I have switched their positions, in case someone complains that the angle of the light was causing an issue.

IMG-20190917-110803.jpg

https://i.ibb.co/j579Lyv/IMG-20190917-110803.jpg

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 38,856 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

That's better - the difference is clear now, thank you.
    Do you know if there are any additives in one (based on brand marketing) and not in the other?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,934 ✭✭✭Mena Mitty

Here's a pic in plastic bottles.

IMG-20190917-110812.jpg

https://i.ibb.co/TtpL9vk/IMG-20190917-110812.jpg

And here I have switched their positions, in case someone complains that the angle of the light was causing an issue.

IMG-20190917-110803.jpg

https://i.ibb.co/j579Lyv/IMG-20190917-110803.jpg

If they are two different brands of diesel they're not going to be the same colour.

I find the same thing happens if I buy two different brands of sunflower oil for cooking.

Brand A: (the darker one) is Maxol, bought on 16/9/19 at Lwr Glanmire Rd.

Brand B: Circle K, regular diesel,
    bought on 16/9/19 at Lwr Glanmire Rd.

Mena Mitty wrote: »
    If they are two different brands of diesel they're not going to be the same colour.

I find the same thing happens if I buy two different brands of sunflower oil for cooking.

I was just showing that there is a difference with fuel from different stations.

Your sunflower oil is coming from various farms.

In cork, I would have thought that all of our fuel came from Whitegate refinery which is only 30km away from both of these stations.

I'm half tempted to get a drop of diesel from AppleGreen and put that into a 3rd bottle.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

In cork, I would have thought that all of our fuel came from Whitegate refinery which is only 30km away from both of these stations.

Probably so, but each distributor may mix in their own additives before it hits the pumps

• Registered Users Posts: 12,070 ✭✭✭✭KCross

I was just showing that there is a difference with fuel from different stations.

Your sunflower oil is coming from various farms.

I'm half tempted to get a drop of diesel from AppleGreen and put that into a 3rd bottle.

Both brands might get their diesel from the same refinery but the additive for each brand is added when they are loading the truck at the refinery.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,872 ✭✭✭Sittingpretty

Brand A: (the darker one) is Maxol, bought on 16/9/19 at Lwr Glanmire Rd.

Brand B: Circle K, regular diesel,
    bought on 16/9/19 at Lwr Glanmire Rd.

You know that both those stations are fuelled by fuel from either Foynes or Whitegate?

It all comes from the same tanks no matter the brand, some might have additives and some may not but all fuel you buy in this country is ultimately from the same place.

Advertisement