Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Straight Pride

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,539 ✭✭✭RocketRaccoon

Because being proud of being Gay is more so down to not being ashamed of it or not allowing society to tell you that you are wrong, disgusting etc - all the things society has said over time.

Being straight has never been a target of abuse. Being White isn't a target of abuse. You've never had to hide being either. So there is no need to be vocal about being either, you aren't claiming back an identity from people who would try to murder you over it. You aren't claiming equality from people who would deny it of you. You are not fighting discrimination on the basis of who you are or who you love.

'Straight Pride' marches aren't about celebrating a culture or similar, they are protests against others celebrating inclusion and equality. They are, at best, counter celebrations for people who feel others being recognised as people is marginalising them. Its weak, and pathetic.

Just one point, these people arranged a straight pride parade, they have been abused by gay people for doing so. So isn't it the exact same?

Straight people protesting gay pride - bad
    Gay people protesting straight pride - good

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

A lot of these "straight pride" events aren't about pride in being heterosexual. That's just a cover to make it seem better.

These guys have no pride in being heterosexual. They have issues with LGBT+ people and that's what the "straight pride" event was about, not pride in being straight.

So if they aren't about straight pride then why would you bother dismissing straight pride. You're going after something you claim they don't even believe.

If they behave like homophobes then go after them for that behaviour.

But that still doesn't address why some people are claim pride is dependent on having experienced discrimination. I don't see discrimination as the only path to pride.

• Registered Users Posts: 758 ✭✭✭Somedaythefire

Just one point, these people arranged a straight pride parade, they have been abused by gay people for doing so. So isn't it the exact same?

This event wasn't about pride in their sexuality. That's just a cover so this argument happens. If you take a quick look into who organised it you'll be able to see that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,419 ✭✭✭antix80

Straight pride attendees were outnumbered 5-1 by counter protestors.

Counter-protesters? You mean protesters - and bordering on a mob by the sounds of it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,512 ✭✭✭Wheety

Back up the truck. Who said you have to have problems being accepted to have pride in something? Are you seriously willing to tell a straight person they ought not have pride in their sexuality? That's precisely the wrong approach as far as I'm concerned.

I wouldn't attend a straight pride event. But there's absolutely no way i would presume to stand In judgement of whether someone else ought to have pride in an important aspect of themselves or not. That's actually a very regressive attitude and i wouldn't encourage it or it would put gay pride back in the firing line because someone else thinks gay people ought not be proud of their sexuality.

I don't make pride dependant on experiencing difficulties. Why do you do that?
    Personally it's not a major source of pride for me (not ashamed either, just neutral). Would you seriously tell a straight person they ought not have pride in their sexuality if they said it was a source of pride for them?

Is your sexuality a source of pride for you?

See, what you're doing is focusing too much on the actual name of the events. Read up on the history of Gay Pride and you'll see it's significance. It's not literally about being proud of being gay. It was started because of the persecution gay people have suffered. Arrested, jailed, beaten, killed, fired, abused in the street, disowned by family and a lot more.

Sure even in this country, it's only very recently where gay people were allowed to marry. It's 2019 and in some countries it's still illegal to be gay. With severe punishment too.

Straight Pride is not needed. We haven't suffered from any of the above. We don't need to march to be accepted.

If someone told me they were proud to be straight, it would just come across as they're proud not to be gay.

I'm not going to continue this conversation with you, as you have made your opinion clear and I don't think I'll change your mind.

antix80 wrote: »
    Counter-protesters? You mean protesters - and bordering on a mob by the sounds of it.

Yes they were counter protesters. The “straight pride “ protested a planned parenthood building. Read the article.

So if they aren't about straight pride then why would you bother dismissing straight pride. You're going after something you claim they don't even believe.

If they behave like homophobes then go after them for that behaviour.

But that still doesn't address why some people are claim pride is dependent on having experienced discrimination. I don't see discrimination as the only path to pride.
    An inclusive straight pride that isn’t born from disdain of LGBT people would be fine. A bit pointless compared to the history of gay pride but harmless nonetheless.

This was not that.

Wheety wrote: »
    See, what you're doing is focusing too much on the actual name of the events. Read up on the history of Gay Pride and you'll see it's significance. It's not literally about being proud of being gay. It was started because of the persecution gay people have suffered. Arrested, jailed, beaten, killed, fired, abused in the street, disowned by family and a lot more.

Sure even in this country, it's only very recently where gay people were allowed to marry. It's 2019 and in some countries it's still illegal to be gay. With severe punishment too.

Straight Pride is not needed. We haven't suffered from any of the above. We don't need to march to be accepted.

If someone told me they were proud to be straight, it would just come across as they're proud not to be gay.

I'm not going to continue this conversation with you, as you have made your opinion clear and I don't think I'll change your mind.

I don't deny that all that happened to gay people and it was all wrong. But i don't agree that gay pride is the only kind of pride that matters or that the only legitimate route to pride is thought the discrimination that gay people experiences.

The suffering gay people experienced was real and significant and was wrong. But it's not the sole legitimate route to pride. That's nonsense.

No, why would I be? It's not something I have control over. I am proud of things I have achieved in life, I am proud of my kids and how they are turning out. My sexuality though? No.

I assume you're gay, are you proud to be gay? If so, why?

I'm not gay.

You're misrepresenting what gay pride is about. It's not a march purely to display how proud one is with being gay. It's the style of argument Gemma O'Doherty and her ilk would use. Focus on one small part and keep hammering that point.

It's about being accepted by society. Watch the video Dublin Bus made for pride this year to see what it's really about.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,206 ✭✭✭zig

The whole premise of a pride parade is that gay people were told they in various forms and extremities that they should be anything but proud of being gay.

Straight people never had that same experience so a straight pride parade in 2019 is generally pointless unless it has a homophobic undertone and is rarely anything to do with them being genuinely proud of being straight. So yea gay pride = good, straight pride = bad

An inclusive straight pride that isn’t born from disdain of LGBT people would be fine. A bit pointless compared to the history of gay pride but harmless nonetheless.

This was not that.

That's exactly what I'm getting at. This event might well have been a bunch of homophobes behaving like arzeholes. And it's Completely legitimate to oppose that behaviour. I think almost anyone finds it easy to oppose homophobic behaviour, if thats the problem, focus on that.

Writing off the notion of straight pride is the wrong approach. It a feeding into the argument that would write off the notion of gay pride.

I don't deny that all that happened to gay people and it was all wrong. But i don't agree that gay pride is the only kind of pride that matters or that the only legitimate route to pride is thought the discrimination that gay people experiences.

The suffering gay people experienced was real and significant and was wrong. But it's not the sole legitimate route to pride. That's nonsense.

Gay pride is not purely about being proud of being gay. Do you know the history of it?

That straight people are trying to belittle it by having a straight pride and arguing that straight people matter too or whatever slogan they have, does not legitimise straight pride for me. It's simply not needed.

zig wrote: »
    The whole premise of a pride parade is that gay people were told they in various forms and extremities that they should be anything but proud of being gay.

Straight people never had that same experience so a straight pride parade in 2019 is generally pointless unless it has a homophobic undertone and is rarely anything to do with them being genuinely proud of being straight. [B[So yea gay pride = good, straight pride = bad[b/]
    I completely disagree that straight pride =bad. Can you explain why straight pride = bad?

I completely disagree that straight pride =bad. Can you explain why straight pride = bad?

I just did...

Straight people never had that same experience so a straight pride parade in 2019 is generally pointless unless it has a homophobic undertone and is rarely anything to do with them being genuinely proud of being straight.

Honestly ask yourself would straight pride parades exist if gay pride parades and homophobia didnt exist?

That's exactly what I'm getting at. This event might well have been a bunch of homophobes behaving like arzeholes. And it's Completely legitimate to oppose that behaviour. I think almost anyone finds it easy to oppose homophobic behaviour, if thats the problem, focus on that.

Writing off the notion of straight pride is the wrong approach. It a feeding into the argument that would write off the notion of gay pride.
    The vast majority of these “straight pride” things are just that though. When they stop being run by homophobes, maybe I’ll pay more attention to them.

• Advertisement

Gay pride is not purely about being proud of being gay. Do you know the history of it?

That straight people are trying to belittle it by having a straight pride and arguing that straight people matter too or whatever slogan they have, does not legitimise straight pride for me. It's simply not needed.

I accept that gay people were discriminated against and the gay pride movement grew out of that. But I have already said I don't think the precise form of discrimination gay people experienced is the only legitimate route to pride.

I don't need straight pride, I think you said you don't need straight pride. I don't need gay pride either but I support other people who do need gay pride because it's not my job to police other people's pride or where they derive their pride. Anyone could argue that gay pride isn't needed either but as long as people want to hold a gay pride event, then obviously I support them.

Same with straight pride TBH. If they behave like arzeholes then I'd oppose that behaviour. But if some people at gay pride behave like arzeholes I wouldn't oppose the notion of gay pride. Id oppose the arzeholes and their arzeholes behaviour.

zig wrote: »

I just did...

Honestly ask yourself would straight pride parades exist if gay pride parades and homophobia didnt exist?

OK. Can you explain why you think the exact form of discrimination gay people experienced is the only legitimate route to pride?

OK. Can you explain why you think the exact form of discrimination gay people experienced is the only legitimate route to pride?
    Well that's literally where gay pride comes from. Pride in the face of discrimination. It was a march to commemorate the Stonewall riots.

I can clearly understand peoples concerns with straight pride, and it's not that there is anything wrong with celebrating being straight but it has to do with the motives of the organisers.

However, protesting against a "pride" event is the wrong way of going about expressing that concern, and also plays into the organisers hands. And is massively naieve.

I can see two effective ways of mitigating the potential impact of the organisers intentions :

1- ignore it. Don't add fuel to the fire and it will disappear because no one cares, except little random internet groups that don't even exist elsewhere.

2- learn from gay pride's inclusivity ethos and go celebrate straight pride! Turn it into a party, DON'T turn it into Gay pride, just celebrate being straight :-) they'll hate it and "the gays" will look good

Im not saying its the only legitimate route to pride, im saying that in 2019 straight pride parades are nothing but anti gay pride homophobic marches and anyone that says otherwise I call BS on.

Perhaps in 2020 someone will start a straight pride that proves me wrong, or perhaps and "all-pride" where all sexualities are encouraged to march together. Then I could be convinced otherwise. But if you think straight pride parades are a bunch of happy loving people who are proud of being straight and have no interest or awareness in gay people or gay pride parades then you're just being naive.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

The thing to remember about the alt-right, fascists, neo-nazis and their fellow travelers who tend to be involved with this kind of thing, is that they are fundamentally dishonest.

A key tactic of the far right, going right back to the Italian fascists, is deceit - "hiding your power level" is a euphemism often used for it these days.

These people aren't stupid. They know you can't just come out and say "burn the queers" or whatever. So they frame their positions in ostensibly unobjectionable ways. For example, everyone knows that All Lives Matter. Everyone knows that it's ok to be straight. However, if you look at the subtext of these movements, and what they're in opposition to it's not hard to read between the lines and figure out what they're actually up to.

It's about the normalisation of bigotry, plain and simple. It is a couching of bigotry in euphemism so that it's more palatable to the mainstream, and it can garner broader, less critical coverage, and spread more easily to those who maybe have some iffy opinions but aren't fully on board the far right hate train.
    It's about creating a situation where a naive observer will be more likely to give them the benefit of the doubt than if they were in KKK outfits.

It's staggering that anyone can be naive enough to think "well technically there's nothing wrong with being straight so straight pride is fine", ignoring the reality of what the far right represent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

Just in case anyone is even remotely concerned that I've maligned the poor Straight Pride enthusiasts, this is from their website:

https://nationalstraightpridecoalition.org/
    The purpose of the California Straight Pride Coalition is to defend the children noted above. This is inclusive of preventing the current and future generations of all races and colors from being destroyed by the inherent malevolence of the Homosexual Movement toward our founding principles below.

The California division of the National Straight Pride Coalition; in accordance with our national motto of “normal, natural, healthy, sane;” invites all people of good will to join us in supporting, promoting, defending, and celebrating the Divine Design of the following foundational principles of life. These following fundamentals, among many others not mentioned, are under unprecedented, sustained, and coordinated attack within our society, culture, and nation:

Heterosexuality – the natural biological foundation for human life, its continuance, and the ground upon which all civilization is built.

God ordained natural nuclear family (one man, one woman, and children) – the unquestionable superior method, structure, and institution by which to raise children who are, “normal, natural, healthy, sane;”

Masculinity: the normal, natural, healthy, sane heterosexual expression of the male gender;

Femininity: the normal, natural, healthy, sane heterosexual expression of the female gender;

Babies: born and unborn inclusive of both the inherent value of human life beginning with fertilization and the foundational and irrefutable scientific recognition/fact that there are only, and can only be, two genders.

Western Civilization – the Christian form for social, cultural, and national governance as a cornerstone upon which progress for the mass majority of humanity has occurred. i.e. how the modern world has been built.

Caucasians – the biological majority of the historical developers and founders of Western Civilization (This is a statement of fact with the consideration of Gal. 3:28 and Col. 3:11. Christ loves and values everyone).

Christianity – the religious form of the formation, development, and advancement of Western Civilization; i.e.; the engine of bringing prosperity and equality to all of humanity.

Nationalism – the patriotic love of their nation and its interests, principles, and future that motivated the Founder’s development of Western Civilization.

Totally not fascists...

Well that's literally where gay pride comes from. Pride in the face of discrimination. It was a march to commemorate the Stonewall riots.

Ok so from now on are gay people the only ones who can have pride marches or parades?

Ok so from now on are gay people the only ones who can have pride marches or parades?
    Where did I say that?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,325 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

I can clearly understand peoples concerns with straight pride, and it's not that there is anything wrong with celebrating being straight but it has to do with the motives of the organisers.

However, protesting against a "pride" event is the wrong way of going about expressing that concern, and also plays into the organisers hands. And is massively naieve.

I can see two effective ways of mitigating the potential impact of the organisers intentions :

1- ignore it. Don't add fuel to the fire and it will disappear because no one cares, except little random internet groups that don't even exist elsewhere.

2- learn from gay pride's inclusivity ethos and go celebrate straight pride! Turn it into a party, DON'T turn it into Gay pride, just celebrate being straight :-) they'll hate it and "the gays" will look good
    Very good and articulate post.
    Exactly as I see it.
    Close thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,067 ✭✭✭✭martingriff

Funny how I was in Dublin city carrying out my duty on work and I was stopped by a huge group from the lgbtqxyz group....

They decided to stop traffic on Eden quay and surrounding areas and were absolute scum.....

They even walked out in front of a moving Garda car which the driver had to slam on.... I was driving a bus with a good number on board and no consideration at all I had to do the same..

These tools then sat on the road and stopped us all from proceeding....

I asked why and I was told to fluck off and got abuse off many ..

Lovely group
    So how did you phrase the question was it hello what is this protest or was it a bit more blue with f**** and such. If it was second I would have given that response if I was protesting anything

Where did I say that?

You didn't. I'm.asking if that's what you mean.

You said gay pride came out of discrimination and specifically the stonewall riots which is correct. Now I'm asking if other groups can legitimately have pride parades if they didn't experience discrimination like gay people did.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,597 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

Dj Stiggie wrote: »
    I'm with you on this and I'm straight too. Gay Pride is about inclusivity, and in the daytime is an event that people can bring their kids to. It's about tolerence, and an expression of how far we've come socially.

This 'Straight Pride' group went and protested a closed Planned Parenthood office. What does that achieve besides showing their true colours as a hate group?

Also, there's a lot of 'I'm not a homophobe, but...' comments in this thread. Which also shows why we should continue to celebrate Gay Pride.

Don't get me wrong, I have no issue with pride, but to be honest there are some displays at pride that I wouldn't consider "family friendly".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,349 ✭✭✭Padre_Pio

You didn't. I'm.asking if that's what you mean.

You said gay pride came out of discrimination and specifically the stonewall riots which is correct. Now I'm asking if other groups can legitimately have pride parades if they didn't experience discrimination like gay people did.

People can have Pride parades for whatever they want.
    Straight people are more than welcome to have a Pride parade. I'd probably go if it looked interesting.

The issue is that the "Straight Pride" parades that we see organised are a front for homophobia and intolerance, and push a conservative agenda to the detriment of minority groups.

If the organisations who run these Straight Pride events are so proud of being straight, then why haven't they paraded before?
    Why are they only parading now that Gay Pride has taken off?
    Why are they so combative?
    Why do they push the Us VS Them mentality?
    Why are they overwhelmingly run by organisations who are conservative, religious and unprogressive?
    Don't get me wrong, I have no issue with pride, but to be honest there are some displays at pride that I wouldn't consider "family friendly".

Would you mind giving an example?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

But really stright pride is nothing to do with pride in heterosexuality at all. Its about hatred towards lgbt people.

Thats just double standards and typical of the homosexual movement. Gay pride is "pride" , straight " pride isnt "pride".

We want tolerance but don't expect us to be tolerant of anyone who disagrees with us.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,644 ✭✭✭Penfailed

Why would anyone protest against a straight pride march?
    The opposite never happens.

There was a protest against the Pride march in Derry on Saturday.

Gigs '24 - Ben Ottewell and Ian Ball (Gomez), The Jesus & Mary Chain, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Pearl Jam, Green Day, Stendhal Festival, Forest Fest, Electric Picnic, Pixies, Ride, Therapy?, Public Service Broadcasting, IDLES(x2), And So I Watch You From Afar

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

This event wasn't about pride in their sexuality. That's just a cover so this argument happens. If you take a quick look into who organised it you'll be able to see that.

Conspiracy theories forum is
    >>

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,597 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

Padre_Pio wrote: »
    Straight people are more than welcome to have a Pride parade. I'd probably go if it looked interesting.

The issue is that the "Straight Pride" parades that we see organised are a front for homophobia and intolerance, and push a conservative agenda to the detriment of minority groups.

If the organisations who run these Straight Pride events are so proud of being straight, then why haven't they paraded before?
    Why are they overwhelmingly run by organisations who are conservative, religious and unprogressive?

Would you mind giving an example?

The lads in the auld fetish gear wouldn't be suitable for little eyes imo.

>>

No that’s literally it. Look at who ran this “straight pride” parade tell me they decided to organise it and protest a planned parenthood building out of pride for their sexuality.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,295 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

>>

Genuinely, have you looked into the organization of the event you are defending, at all?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,177 ✭✭✭Ironicname

It's just presumed people are straight when they're born.

Because most people are

Padre_Pio wrote: »

The first part answers my question but I'd also like the other poster to answer from their perspective.

Te answer to all the questions us that the people taking part are knobs. I suspect they're deeply unpleasant and I wouldn't be inclined to hang out with them. But thats the problem, the fact that they're pr1cks, not the idea of straight pride.

• Registered Users Posts: 492 ✭✭CosmicFool

The first part answers my question but I'd also like the other poster to answer from their perspective.

Te answer to all the questions us that the people taking part are knobs. I suspect they're deeply unpleasant and I wouldn't be inclined to hang out with them. But thats the problem, the fact that they're pr1cks, not the idea of straight pride.

But having straight pride is basically a "f**k you" to the LGBT community. So if they weren't pr1cks and they had a straight pride what would the pride be for? What's it's purpose?
    I'm pretty sure everyone knows why we have pride marches at this stage so having a straight pride feels like it mocks us and I'm not surprised people are outraged about it.
    Would I ever go to one of these straight prides and counter it? No I wouldn't because it serves no purpose to do so and just agrevates and angers everyone. There's already enough of that.

CosmicFool wrote:
    But having straight pride is basically a "f**k you" to the LGBT community. So if they weren't pr1cks and they had a straight pride what would the pride be for? What's it's purpose? I'm pretty sure everyone knows why we have pride marches at this stage so having a straight pride feels like it mocks us and I'm not surprised people are outraged about it. Would I ever go to one of these straight prides and counter it? No I wouldn't because it serves no purpose to do so and just agrevates and angers everyone. There's already enough of that.

What gives you the right to tell a straight person that they can't be proud of their sexuality?

• Advertisement

Ironicname wrote: »
    What gives you the right to tell a straight person that they can't be proud of their sexuality?

Why would a straight person be proud to be straight? You said yourself that most people are straight.

Are you missing the point of gay pride again? It's not literally only about being proud of being gay. It's about not having to hide who they are and acceptance by others. It's still a huge issue for most gay people to admit they're gay. To themselves, and others. We're not quite there yet, as a society.

Straight people don't have that issue and never have.

• Registered Users Posts: 492 ✭✭CosmicFool

This isn't about me telling you Not to be proud of your sexuality. I couldn't give a ****e what you are.

If you want to switch with us, and have your straight pride we will happily make that trade! You can have the one day a year to feel completely accepted, and we can have the other 364 days of the year where you don’t worry about being followed home and beaten or murdered for “dressing straight,” being fired from your jobs for being heterosexual, being harassed in public for holding your partner’s hand, being denied service in restaurants and small businesses for dining with your opposite-sex boyfriend or girlfriend, and always having to fight tooth and nail for every single right that you get without question and take for granted.

I have to echo this question. I don't presume to tell anyone what they can and can't be proud of. But I wouldn't entertain the notion of anyone telling me what I can and can't be proud of about myself.

Wheety wrote:
    Are you missing the point of gay pride again? It's not literally only about being proud of being gay. It's about not having to hide who they are and acceptance by others. It's still a huge issue for most gay people to admit they're gay. To themselves, and others. We're not quite there yet, as a society.

Where would you like to be? We have a gay head of state, gay marriage is legal, there are equality laws.

Sure, some people might still balk at the idea of two men or two women having sex, but that's their prerogative. You can't force people to be comfortable with it.

Wheety wrote:
    Why would a straight person be proud to be straight? You said yourself that most people are straight.

I have no idea. But if they are, good for them.
    CosmicFool wrote:
    If you want to switch with us, and have your straight pride we will happily make that trade! You can have the one day a year to feel completely accepted, and we can have the other 364 days of the year where you don’t worry about being followed home and beaten or murdered for “dressing straight,†being fired from your jobs for being heterosexual, being harassed in public for holding your partner’s hand, being denied service in restaurants and small businesses for dining with your opposite-sex boyfriend or girlfriend, and always having to fight tooth and nail for every single right that you get without question and take for granted.

Switch place with "us"? As in the gay hive mind? Sorry buddy, not all gay people think the same.

And I think you'll find almost everything you mentioned is illegal and you are protected by law if you encounter such situations.

So if you feel attacked every day that isn't pride day, then I feel sorry for you. But thankfully most gay people don't share that same experience.

I have to echo this question. I don't presume to tell anyone what they can and can't be proud of. But I wouldn't entertain the notion of anyone telling me what I can and can't be proud of about myself.
    No one is stopping you. The issue here, as has been said many times, is that most of these "straight pride" events are done under false pretenses. They usually are malicious in nature and homophobic. No one is telling you that you can't be proud of being straight or whatever other argument you're trying to have.

No one is stopping you. The issue here, as has been said many times, is that most of these "straight pride" events are done under false pretenses. They usually are malicious in nature and homophobic. No one is telling you that you can't be proud of being straight or whatever other argument you're trying to have.

The issue is, if you are proud of being straight, you are automatically under suspicion of being homophobic and/or malicious.

Essentially what you are saying is that it's ok to be proud to be straight if that's the way you feel, but just don't say it out loud or draw attention to it. Keep it in.

Sounds familiar.

• Advertisement

The issue is, if you are proud of being straight, you are automatically under suspicion of being homophobic and/or malicious.

Essentially what you are saying is that it's ok to be proud to be straight if that's the way you feel, but just don't say it out loud or draw attention to it. Keep it in.

Sounds familiar.
    Go read who organised this event please. This event, like most other "straight pride" events was malicious and homophobic.

CosmicFool wrote: »
    This isn't about me telling you Not to be proud of your sexuality. I couldn't give a ****e what you are.

If you want to switch with us, and have your straight pride we will happily make that trade! You can have the one day a year to feel completely accepted, and we can have the other 364 days of the year where you don’t worry about being followed home and beaten or murdered for “dressing straight,” being fired from your jobs for being heterosexual, being harassed in public for holding your partner’s hand, being denied service in restaurants and small businesses for dining with your opposite-sex boyfriend or girlfriend, and always having to fight tooth and nail for every single right that you get without question and take for granted.

I'm not suggesting anyone swaps anything. I'm coming at it from the perspective of having equal respect for what makes people proud.

It keeps coming back to the idea that pride is only Derived through discrimination. No discrimination, no pride. I don't agree with that perspective and Ive asked a load of times why people keep coming back to it.

2 points keep coming up
    1. Gay pride is because of all the discrimination gay people experienced.
    Straight people didn't experience that discrimination so straight pride is bad.

I keep asking why pride is only OK if it follows discrimination and the response keeps coming back that the straight pride groups tend to be arzeholes. And that's true but it doesn't answer the question about why discrimination is the only path to pride.

• Registered Users Posts: 582 ✭✭✭Hobosan

CosmicFool wrote: »

You should be ashamed of yourself for elevating the plight of gays above straight women. Don't you know how likely they were to die during childbirth for hundreds of thousands of years? And the toll that would take on their husbands/families?

But no, straight people have nothing to be proud. So what if women knowingly sacrificed themselves to keep this species going for hundreds of thousands of years...

****ing hell.

I'm not suggesting anyone swaps anything. I'm coming at it from the perspective of having equal respect for what makes people proud.

It keeps coming back to the idea that pride is only Derived through discrimination. No discrimination, no pride. I don't agree with that perspective and Ive asked a load of times why people keep coming back to it.

2 points keep coming up

I keep asking why pride is only OK if it follows discrimination and the response keeps coming back that the straight pride groups tend to be arzeholes. And that's true but it doesn't answer the question about why discrimination is the only path to pride.
    Marches usually have a reason or an aim. Gay pride's reason stems from Stonewall.

What reason/aim is behind a straight pride march? The reason for the one in the OP and a lot of others is hatred, hence the apprehension.

If you just decided to organise a march for next month with no reason or aim, it wouldn't do very well. So as a question, what do you think the reasoning behind holding a straight pride march would be? How would you get people interested in going to it? What is the hook that will make people want to march? For gay pride, that was discrimination and feeling left out and/or different by society.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,349 ✭✭✭Padre_Pio

Sounds familiar.

Way to completely miss the point.

If you're proud to be straight, then by all means organise your parade and have a great time.

But be prepared to have your parade infiltrated by people who will use it as a platform to bash non-hetero people, or people who don't conform to a conservative, religious view of the world.

Had a quick google for Straight Pride. First link is a new story where Don Grundmann was refused a permit for a Straight Pride Parade.
    Must be those bold gays pushing their agena, but the first image on Don Grundmann's website is this:

https://imgur.com/a/VxrPMs4
    2 points keep coming up

1) Gay Pride is a celebration to promote gay culture and is borne out of decades of discrimination.
    2) "Straight Pride" in it's current incarnation is nothing to do with having pride because you're straight. It's a front to promote conservative religious beliefs at the expense of minority groups.

• Advertisement
Advertisement