Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Straight Pride

Options
  • 25-08-2019 5:51pm
    Moderators, Category Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,290 CMod ✭✭✭✭

The Straight Pride event in Modesto California yesterday turned out to be a bust.

Straight pride attendees were outnumbered 5-1 by counter protestors. The rally was still held and the atmosphere was described as 'tense' but no incidents were reported.

After being unable to secure a public venue for the event the organizers gathered at a private barn outside of the town and then held a protest outside the 'Planned Parenthood' offices (which were closed).

https://www.modbee.com/news/local/article234322637.html

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,292 ✭✭✭✭branie2

ouch!

• Registered Users Posts: 51,557 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

The Straight Pride event in Modesto California yesterday turned out to be a bust.

Straight pride attendees were outnumbered 5-1 by counter protestors. The rally was still held and the atmosphere was described as 'tense' but no incidents were reported.

After being unable to secure a public venue for the event the organizers gathered at a private barn outside of the town and then held a protest outside the 'Planned Parenthood' offices (which were closed).

https://www.modbee.com/news/local/article234322637.html

Why would anyone protest against a straight pride march?
    The opposite never happens.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Mad isn't it but straight people are now been told how they can and can't live or have a voice.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,745 ✭✭✭Irish Praetorian

Well it was not that long ago that gay pride parades attracted quite a considerable amount of protest and opposition. Even today, in less enlightened parts of the world, gay prides attract anything from peaceful counter-protects to legal prohibition. I believe there was one held in Serbia just a few years ago, which was followed by a far larger counter-protest afterwards which included a ritualistic 'cleansing of the streets' by the local Orthodox clergy.

As for straight pride in and of itself, I honestly don't see why we should care. They have hardly any support and I'm not sure what the downside is, bunch of straight people getting together and 'shock' having sex! Good heavens, now there's something that's got to be an abomination :D

Funny how I was in Dublin city carrying out my duty on work and I was stopped by a huge group from the lgbtqxyz group....

They decided to stop traffic on Eden quay and surrounding areas and were absolute scum.....

They even walked out in front of a moving Garda car which the driver had to slam on.... I was driving a bus with a good number on board and no consideration at all I had to do the same..

These tools then sat on the road and stopped us all from proceeding....

I asked why and I was told to fluck off and got abuse off many ..

Lovely group

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,396 ✭✭✭RocketRaccoon

Funny how I was in Dublin city carrying out my duty on work and I was stopped by a huge group from the lgbtqxyz group....

They decided to stop traffic on Eden quay and surrounding areas and were absolute scum.....

They even walked out in front of a moving Garda car which the driver had to slam on.... I was driving a bus with a good number on board and no consideration at all I had to do the same..

Lovely group

Go handy, you'll have your eyes scratched out.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,290 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ten of Swords

Well it was not that long ago that gay pride parades attracted quite a considerable amount of protest and opposition. Even today, in less enlightened parts of the world, gay prides attract anything from peaceful counter-protects to legal prohibition. I believe there was one held in Serbia just a few years ago, which was followed by a far larger counter-protest afterwards which included a ritualistic 'cleansing of the streets' by the local Orthodox clergy.

There was one a month ago in Bialystok Poland

https://www.rte.ie/news/world/2019/0720/1064279-polish-gay-pride-marchers-defy-hooligans/

• Registered Users Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭donkeykong5

Lovely group
    Was Cleo there ?

Was Cleo there ?

Leo may have been.... Many had face masks pulled over their faces....

Scum bags they were

Meow

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,292 ✭✭✭✭branie2

Or get hit by a handbag!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,290 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ten of Swords

Mod

Keep it civil

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭Diceicle

Protesting the straight pride march, like protesting a gay-pride march, seems a bit intolerant.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,557 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

As for straight pride in and of itself, I honestly don't see why we should care. They have hardly any support and I'm not sure what the downside is, bunch of straight people getting together and 'shock' having sex! Good heavens, now there's something that's got to be an abomination :D

But this wasn’t a Gay Pride parade. I would be of the opinion that gay people wouldn’t care one iota that straight we’re parading. Probably just trouble makers looking for trouble.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

I can't really see why someone would bother protesting a straight pride event. I wouldn't bother attending it either. But if someone wants to express pride in their sexuality then have at it, right?

I'm not against guy or lesbian by the way I just hate been labelled and then been talked down to by others whatever their agenda.

The rally went ahead without incident, nobody's views were suppressed. I would guess, however, that the counter protestors were not satisfied with the views and objectives of the straight pride rally as per it's organizer Don Grundmann.

From the article in the op,
    Grundmann’s message is embodied in the National Straight Pride Coalition he started about four months ago. The coalition’s California chapter has 42 members on its Facebook page.

According to its website, the coalition is protecting traditional gender roles, Christianity, heterosexuality, Western Civilization, babies, and the contributions of whites to Western Civilization from the malevolence of the homosexual movement...

...Grundmann has equated the LGBTQ+ community with promoting child molestation and has said that is not hate speech but accurate speech. He has been fighting the culture wars for decades through such groups he has formed as Citizens Against Perversion and American Warrior Ministry.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,510 ✭✭✭Wheety

I'm straight and I think there's something just off about a straight pride march. Similar to a white lives matter/white pride march. There's a reason why there are gay pride and black pride events and straight white people haven't suffered the same prejudices. When these events happen there is a homophobic or racist undertone.

Wheety wrote: »
    I'm straight and I think there's something just off about a straight pride march. Similar to a white lives matter/white pride march. There's a reason why there are gay pride and black pride events and straight white people haven't suffered the same prejudices. When these events happen there is a homophobic or racist undertone.

Oh dear lord jebus

Oh dear lord jebus

Yes? You agree with straight pride events?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 619 ✭✭✭Dj Stiggie

I'm with you on this and I'm straight too. Gay Pride is about inclusivity, and in the daytime is an event that people can bring their kids to. It's about tolerence, and an expression of how far we've come socially.

This 'Straight Pride' group went and protested a closed Planned Parenthood office. What does that achieve besides showing their true colours as a hate group?

Also, there's a lot of 'I'm not a homophobe, but...' comments in this thread. Which also shows why we should continue to celebrate Gay Pride.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,714 ✭✭✭donegal_man

...When these events happen there is a homophobic or racist undertone.

Why would you possibly think that? Ah, okay. Now I see where you're coming from
    According to its website, the coalition is protecting traditional gender roles,... and the contributions of whites to Western Civilization from the malevolence of the homosexual movement...
    Grundmann has equated the LGBTQ+ community with promoting child molestation

• Registered Users Posts: 5,170 ✭✭✭Augme

Let's be honest here, 99% chance anyone who goes to a straight pride event is a massive idiot and a homophobe.

Yes? You agree with straight pride events?

I don't "agree" or disagree with them. I wouldn't bother attending one. But I'm definitely not going to tell someone they shouldn't express pride in their sexuality. If someone feels they need to express pride, then go for it.

Augme wrote: »
    Let's be honest here, 99% chance anyone who goes to a straight pride event is a massive idiot and a homophobe.

In practice I'd imagine that's probably true. So I'd call them out for being homophobes when they do it, rather than the straight pride part.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

Diceicle wrote: »
    Protesting the straight pride march, like protesting a gay-pride march, seems a bit intolerant.

And there you have it ..... Tolerance is only tolerated if you agree with gay agenda...and it is an agenda!

• Registered Users Posts: 40,816 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Yeah it does!!!!!!!!

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

In practice I'd imagine that's probably true. So I'd call them out for being homophobes when they do it, rather than the straight pride part.

This is something you'd only say if you didn't understand the significance of gay pride.

Straight people have never had to hide their sexuality and in some cases, live their whole life as a lie. I have friends who are gay and they didn't admit it until they were in their late 20s.

It's great, as a straight person, to not even have to 'come out'. It's just presumed people are straight when they're born.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,816 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

I don't "agree" or disagree with them. I wouldn't bother attending one. But I'm definitely not going to tell someone they shouldn't express pride in their sexuality. If someone feels they need to express pride, then go for it.

But really stright pride is nothing to do with pride in heterosexuality at all. Its about hatred towards lgbt people.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Advertisement

And there you have it ..... Tolerance is only tolerated if you agree with gay agenda...and it is an agenda!

Are you straight? Were you ever beaten up for being straight? Anyone ever shout 'Hetero' at you and spit at you?

What tolerance are you missing out on?

Advertisement