Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

AMD Zen Discussion Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,027 ✭✭✭H3llR4iser

Headshot wrote: »
    Guys is there any where reputable that has this CPU AMD Ryzen 9 3900x in stock?

Overclockers out of stock, no ETA

Scan.co.uk stock due on the 15th but high possibility that there wont be enough stock for my pre-order (i'm 150 on the list for a CPU)

AWD-IT says it's got 11 in stock (https://www.awd-it.co.uk/amd-ryzen-9-3900x-cpu-twelve-core-4.6ghz-processor-socket-am4-retail.html?wgu=13527_206719_15706351466144_2deb0e58ab&wgexpiry=1578411146&source=webgains&siteid=206719)

But frankly, at that price I'd pass - that's nearly 670 Euro, for a cpu that should be 499.99 RRP.

EDIT: Mindfactory.de also seems to have stock, at a more acceptable price of 537 Euro. EIDT2: They don't seem to sell outside of Germany anymore...

• Registered Users Posts: 53,849 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

H3llR4iser wrote: »
    AWD-IT says it's got 11 in stock (https://www.awd-it.co.uk/amd-ryzen-9-3900x-cpu-twelve-core-4.6ghz-processor-socket-am4-retail.html?wgu=13527_206719_15706351466144_2deb0e58ab&wgexpiry=1578411146&source=webgains&siteid=206719)

But frankly, at that price I'd pass - that's nearly 670 Euro, for a cpu that should be 499.99 RRP.

EDIT: Mindfactory.de also seems to have stock, at a more acceptable price of 537 Euro. EIDT2: They don't seem to sell outside of Germany anymore...

Cannot see any place that would be 499.99 pounds.

It's nearly always 550 pounds or even 589.99 with overclockers

I've never used www.awd-it.co.uk are they reliable?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,059 ✭✭✭AirBiscuit

I found at least on my setup that the fan curves are not aggressive enough (3700X and B450M Mortar Max), so I manually tuned the fan speed in bios instead of the MSI 'Smart Fan' control. My CPU previously would rise in temp, then the fans would kick in from 10% speed to 50% with no real ramp in fan speed. I had similar temp bumps as you.
    Doesn't seem to be the fans either: This is with the 3 120mm case fans running at 100% (1400RPM) and the CPU cooler at 75% (~3000RPM) for a good 8 minutes, still does the constant spikes, albeit at a lower temperature.
    100% not worth the deafening noise, which is what I'm trying to reduce by

RJwLnZb.png

WxqUjBt.png

As for the curves, they were set at a minimum of 30% no matter what, then ramp up sharply after 55C in an attempt to let the fan run quietly until I ran a game.
    Convinced it's a software issue after that fan blast

Headshot wrote: »
    Cannot see any place that would be 499.99 pounds.

It's nearly always 550 pounds or even 589.99 with overclockers

I've never used www.awd-it.co.uk are they reliable?

The price should be 499.99, it's AMD's price - it's 499.99 USD in the USA (incidentally, I was in the US in May...I should've postponed my visit!); Which also means there's no reason it shouldn't be 499.99 EURO (it was initially sold at that price on some German, Spanish, French and Italian stores, including Amazon, when it first came out - the price crept up as soon as it became clear availability wasn't great).

Anyway - search "ADMI Bundles" on Amazon.co.uk if you need a motherboard as well, they seem to have a few R9s bundled with either a B450 or an x570 board. Prices are not bad either, you can choose if you need the RAM as well or not.

As for online sellers being "reputable", I'd say in this day and age ones who aren't don't last very long, it's a shark pond selling online...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,945 ✭✭✭Anima

Had a quick look at the ADMI bundles. There is some Chinese reseller selling some of the full rigs for like 1/3rd the cost.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/s?i=merchant-items&me=A2SWZ3X72M8TVA

I guess it's almost certainly a scam. Hard to resist a punt though :pac:

• Advertisement

Anima wrote: »
    Had a quick look at the ADMI bundles. There is some Chinese reseller selling some of the full rigs for like 1/3rd the cost.

Most likely filled with parts which had the "bios hack" so they report to Windows as something they aren't - some 2003 entry-level nVidia card pretending it's a GTX1660 and such. You can probably hack a motherboard BIOS to say a PentiumG is a Core i9 9990K as well...then again, the joke's on whomever seriously things such rig could be bought for 300 GBP.

I wonder if the ADMI folks (it's the same company as AWD-IT) know about this "nice" seller.

EDIT: After reading some reviews, it looks like another possibility is that these systems might be made out of defective returned parts...If I had some cash to burn I'd order one to see what the hell gets delivered :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,683 ✭✭✭Subcomandante Marcos

Link doesn't work

• Registered Users Posts: 18,697 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Link doesn't work

Good, means they were already reported for scamming.

K.O.Kiki wrote: »
    Good, means they were already reported for scamming.

One wonders who might have been...:D:D:D

The enthusiasm seems to have faded in this thread - I finally got the 3900X; Ordered a mobo+cpu ADMI bundle on Amazon, they are indeed fulfilled by AWD-IT in the UK. Paired it with a DDR4 3200 Vengeance LPX 32GB kid from Corsair (I managed to get it at a better price from a different vendor in Italy).

The mobo an MSI Gaming Edge X570 with the 3900X - boy have they come a long long way, back when I started building systems (1998-ish), MSI were basically the bottom of the pile; Crack open any supermarket-bought PC, and you'd find one of their boards in there.

With a full black finish, all the paraphernalia associated with a gaming-grade board, hefty heatsinks on the power delivery circuitry, the MPG Gaming Edge WiFi x570 looks well built. There's even an USB Type-C port (not really that useful on a desktop, but hey, nice to have) and let me say a word about the integrated backplate: about time EVERY board started having this, rather than keep using the flimsy, sharp-edged little panel attaching unsteadily to the case (hands up whomever ever put the board in only to realize one of the metal "tongues" from the backplate had gone inside an USB or the Ethernet port).

The fan on the x570 chipset is indeed noisy in a high-pitched, Socket-7 or Socket-A fan reminiscent way (remember these fans running at 8000rpm?), but thankfully it's stationary most of the times; By default, it's set to only kick in above 75c and in my tests, the board seems to settle itself at about 65c, no matter what the load is.

Now to the CPU - well, it's a beast, easily doubling the performance of my old (and still very valid) R7 1700. It's also a completely different kind of animal compared to any other CPU I've seen before - in terms of thermals/performance/power management it does indeed behave more like a GPU, making use of any headroom it can find.

I'm cooling it with an NZXT Kraken x62, idle temperatures are clearly meaningless as they constantly swing between 35c and 50c, but it settles itself at about 72c under heavy load (Prime95 small FFT, OCCT Stress test). Used to the cool 25-30c at idle and 55-60c under load of the 1700, these initially looked bad - but it immediately became apparent, via a few searches, that these temps are pretty normal even with an AIO or a performance-oriented air cooler. Moreover, I tried JayzTwoCents experiment with the vCore - Ryzen 3000 simply loses performance rather than crash or misbehave, my CB15 score went from 3100 to 2000, and the difference is not really reported in any monitoring software - while scoring a "paltry" 2000 cb points, both CAM and HWMonitor claimed everything was boosting at 4.4 Ghz.

EDIT: I just found out x470 boards also have the EPS 8pin + ATX 4 pin connector for CPU power, and also on these you only really need to plug the EPS in. I had no idea, never had an x470 board.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,132 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

MSI have been skimping on VRMS the past few years though. Their mid-range mobos are mostly cack bar a select few. And dont touch their budget stuff. Most other companies doing a better job in that market.

MSI have been skimping on VRMS the past few years though. Their mid-range mobos are mostly cack bar a select few. And dont touch their budget stuff. Most other companies doing a better job in that market.

Maybe on the intel side. But as far as b350 and b450 MSI have by far the best built boards from mid range up. Boards like the mortars, gaming plus', tomahawks etc are by far the best in their price ranges.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,415 ✭✭✭.G.

Hardware unboxed tested all the x570 mobos and were scathing about the MSI Gaming edge and the A-Pro.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_7PkZwY9PWM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xbyWKufthS4

He does test them on a test bed with no direct airflow though.

I went with MSI b450 gaming plus for our 3600 and its been fine, the same ,it seems, can't be said for their x570 offerings bar the super expensive ones.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,132 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

Maybe on the intel side. But as far as b350 and b450 MSI have by far the best built boards from mid range up. Boards like the mortars, gaming plus', tomahawks etc are by far the best in their price ranges.

I'm saying this, and I have an MSI board. Just look at MSI's own subreddit. Riddled with Ryzen issues and cheapo'd out VRMS. The Mortar, Tomahawk and Gaming plus is the ONLY Bxxx boards recommended with good VRM's. Everything else is complete cack.

Top that with their ****fest of bios updates breaking boards, slow rollouts and more. I may have bought an MSI board on my latest build (Mortar myself) but had I known the raft of issues people have complained about on many boards in both short and long term, I probably wouldn't have bought one.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,480 ✭✭✭M00lers

I too have an MSI board, B450 carbon and I believe it has decent VRMs and is/was recommended fairly highly.

I was also worried about pairing a 3700x with the Carbon B450 after reading the MSI subreddit but it has been faultless so far. I've upgraded the BIOS twice and again no issues. You'll rarely see people post when they don't have problems only when issues arise.

Now don't get me wrong MSI have definitely work to do and they definitely slipped up with the under-sized BIOS chip they used but if you do your research (as you should if spending the amount of money these things cost) you can avoid "cack" products. The ABBA Agesa BIOS was released fairly quickly IMO but their previous BIOS updates were indeed on the slow side.

I don't want to be calling bullsh1t on an established reviewer, but...well, I have to.

I've run the most recent OCCT stress test, small units, for over an hour (1h23m precisely), and the MOS never went above 80c, reached for a second or two, then it settled at 79c; All set stock and "auto" in the BIOS, with a 12-Core R9 3900X. Worth noticing the CPU was apparently drawing 145W, I have no idea how accurate that'd be. Probably not much. Anyway:

https://photos.app.goo.gl/4znaKVinPa61FAtH6

Consider this is in an NZXT H500 case, which is not exactly known for its airflow qualities, with the only intake fans being those on the Kraken X62 (which means, they were blowing in air that's warmed up already); Two extraction fans are at the top and rear of the case.

I'm not sure if the matter was the bios, version or a defective board, but sure enough mine didn't reach the levels mentioned in the review. It's safe to say it's probably not the ideal board for an extreme, liquid-Nitrogen based OC, but certainly it won't just "go up in flames" just by normal use - in fact, I'll be surprised if I ever see these temperatures in the screenshot during day-to-day use, even rendering and gaming.

• Registered Users Posts: 53,849 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

I had a bit of a scare when I was upgrading my PC with the 3900X

I'm currently using a X470 mobo which is supposed to be backward compatible (GIGABYTE X470 AORUS Ultra Gaming AM4/DDR4 Motherboard) with Ryzen 9, I had all the BIOS updated to the latest version "F42d"

PC would not get past the Windows loading screen

I was thinking maybe this was a BIOS issue and rolled back to "F40" and bang all sorted

https://www.gigabyte.com/ie/Motherboard/X470-AORUS-ULTRA-GAMING-rev-10/support#support-dl-bios

• Registered Users Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

New bios coming out with updated Agesa settings from AMD for you X570 folks.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

New bios' out for Gigabyte boards anyway not sure on others. This is official updates as there was beta bios' released end of last week beginning of this week but I never bothered to update due to some issues.

2 second quicker boot times from that new bios on my Gigabyte board.

• Advertisement

2 second quicker boot times from that new bios on my Gigabyte board.

Thanks for reminding me. MSI have released theirs this week too.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,945 ✭✭✭Anima

What's the general consensus on non-x570 boards with gen 3 chips now? Are all the problems ironed out? Depends on particular combinations?

What's the general consensus on non-x570 boards with gen 3 chips now? Are all the problems ironed out? Depends on particular combinations?

I'm not sure but most people on here went with MSI boards due to them being the only board manufacturer to allow bios flashback without a CPU on nearly all of their boards last gen. One or two others had that feature also but afaik that was the high end expensive boards and if you were shelling out that much you may as well have gone X570.

Zero problems for me with a 3600 on an asrock b450m.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,965 ✭✭✭jonerkinsella

No probs with an MSI Gaming plus B450 from day one on 3600.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,415 ✭✭✭.G.

Had a few problems when I updated to the ABBA bios from MSI on a b450 gaming plus, constant BSOD's, rolled back to the previous version and its been fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,480 ✭✭✭M00lers

No issues here either. MSI B450 CARBON

• Registered Users Posts: 4,833 ✭✭✭shootermacg

X570 AORUS ULTRA no issues at all, haven't bothered with bios updates.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,004 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

Note to anyone getting a Ryzen 7 GPU, that will probably be blindingly obviously, but I'll mention it all the same.

UPDATE YOUR BIOS!

I got a 3700x and Aorus Elite X570 recently, and the BIOS version that came on the mobo severely capped the speed the CPU was running at. It was version F3 or something which doesn't even appear on the manufacturer website. I spent about a week there wondering why my very expensive PC was performing not much better than my 7 year old previous on.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

updated my gigabyte x570 pro bios to the new f10 version which has the new agesa code which is supposed to give a boost

pre update 10138 on time spy https://www.3dmark.com/3dm/40234172

post update 10219 https://www.3dmark.com/3dm/40775180?

thats on a 3700x

Advertisement