Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

AMD Zen Discussion Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

.G. wrote: »
    New ABBA bios for b450 gaming plus put at last. What's the situation with PBO these days, recommendation used to be to keep it off for better temps and voltages is that still the case on the newer bios versions?

Our 3600 is still ramping up and down with it on and Temps are in the mid 40s to 50s with the ****ty stock cooler. It hits 4.2 regularly so at least we haven't got that boost issue.

Are you overclocked if so I would leave it off for stability reasons but if stock it would give you a boost.

They are high temps you are getting. I have it off and my chip stays around the 30 degree mark average. It fluctuates 27-32.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,027 ✭✭✭H3llR4iser

Anima wrote: »
    https://www.scan.co.uk/shops/asus/x570/cashback/x399/x470/b450/cpu/bundle/cashback/promo

Few retailers seem to be advertising this cashback promotion from end Sept to end of Oct. Worth it?

I will admit - I've spent almost 40 years on this planet without understanding how a "cashback promotion" works. I always dismissed these as, basically, a scam to get people to buy something expensive and then give them vouchers or "discounts" on "adjusted price" products...

What does it mean in this case? They're giving you 60 GBP back after purchasing an x570 mobo? It seems way too good to be anywhere true...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,945 ✭✭✭Anima

H3llR4iser wrote: »
    I will admit - I've spent almost 40 years on this planet without understanding how a "cashback promotion" works. I always dismissed these as, basically, a scam to get people to buy something expensive and then give them vouchers or "discounts" on "adjusted price" products...

What does it mean in this case? They're giving you 60 GBP back after purchasing an x570 mobo? It seems way too good to be anywhere true...

Yeah I was wondering what the catch is. If you could get an x570 mobo for ~120e or so, seems like a good deal.

Anima wrote: »
    Yeah I was wondering what the catch is. If you could get an x570 mobo for ~120e or so, seems like a good deal.

Yeah as I said, I always made the immediate "cashback promotion = borderline scam" equation in my mind (e.g. banks trying to lure mortgage customers to extortionate interest rates offering "5000 Euro cashback!" things).

Especially in IT/computer sales, where I know from experience the margins are very low, so a cashback seems to be quite an odd deal.

Only thing I can think of, other than some obvious deal with Asus, is that they're probably trying to cut their losses on Threadrippers (they have, obviously, the biggest cashbacks) and shift whatever stock / order they already have, knowing that these CPU won't be selling right now - anyone needing a rendering / graphics / video editing WS would be sitting on the fence looking out for the 3950X and the next gen Threadrippers...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,415 ✭✭✭.G.

Are you overclocked if so I would leave it off for stability reasons but if stock it would give you a boost.

They are high temps you are getting. I have it off and my chip stays around the 30 degree mark average. It fluctuates 27-32.

Everything stock. don't think there's a point trying to OC these things.

Everything stock. don't think there's a point trying to OC these things.

I'd run cinebench stock and overclocked and see which is better. I'd overclock it 4.2 or 4.3GHz and see.

I got the below CPU score @ just under 4.4GHz on a 3700x.

https://www.3dmark.com/spy/8757520

I'd run cinebench stock and overclocked and see which is better. I'd overclock it 4.2 or 4.3GHz and see.

I got the below CPU score @ just under 4.4GHz on a 3700x.

https://www.3dmark.com/spy/8757520

Interesting...do you have a CB15 run on that as well? I'd be curious to see how the 3700X performs at that clock compared to my first gen 1700.

I think there IS a point - I've had my 1700 overclocked to 3.8Ghz on all cores (not very lucky at the silicon lottery - it crashes at 3.9, even when pumped with frankly unnerving voltages) and while it seems meager (it does clock up to 3.7 on stock, but on a single core), CB15 went from low 1400s to low 1600s. You can actually see the difference on CPU intensive tasks (CPU rendering, encoding etc.).

H3llR4iser wrote: »
    Interesting...do you have a CB15 run on that as well? I'd be curious to see how the 3700X performs at that clock compared to my first gen 1700.

I think there IS a point - I've had my 1700 overclocked to 3.8Ghz on all cores (not very lucky at the silicon lottery - it crashes at 3.9, even when pumped with frankly unnerving voltages) and while it seems meager (it does clock up to 3.7 on stock, but on a single core), CB15 went from low 1400s to low 1600s. You can actually see the difference on CPU intensive tasks (CPU rendering, encoding etc.).

You should try and get a 2700 as it is a far superior chip than a 1700.

And if you have a few quid lying around then a 3700.

You should try and get a 2700 as it is a far superior chip than a 1700.

And if you have a few quid lying around then a 3700.

The 2700 is pretty much in line with what I get, performance wise, from my 1700 overclocked; It however does have a far superior overclocking headroom, yeah...yet my main issue is that I need to replace the mainboard, as I've posted before the Asus Prime B350-Plus I have proved to be a giant letdown (including absurdly poor USB 3.1 performance, the USB 3.0 ports on the same board are actually faster).

I was...am gunning for a 3900X, but not at the armed robbery prices they're being currently sold :mad:

• Advertisement

Our 3600 is hitting 4.2 on all cores. I monitored things for a while the other day and it does drop to 33c when idle, its just that whatever processes and software that are running in the background, the CPU isn't idle very often, its boosting up to 4.2 on several cores every few seconds so that's obviously pushing temps up. Will see if I can nail down whats doing it but previously on the older bios it was discord and iCue. Haven't got iCue installed anymore.

I'll get round to OC'ing attempts eventually!

Our 3600 is hitting 4.2 on all cores. I monitored things for a while the other day and it does drop to 33c when idle, its just that whatever processes and software that are running in the background, the CPU isn't idle very often, its boosting up to 4.2 on several cores every few seconds so that's obviously pushing temps up. Will see if I can nail down whats doing it but previously on the older bios it was discord and iCue. Haven't got iCue installed anymore.

I'll get round to OC'ing attempts eventually!

Which software are you using to monitor the boost problem?

Ryzen master

Ryzen master

I don't know why yours does that. Mine when idle never clocks up and stays around the 30 degree mark.

I don't know why yours does that. Mine when idle never clocks up and stays around the 30 degree mark.

Same here. It's idling at 27C at the moment and that's even with iCue running in the background.

Hadn't updated the chipset drivers in a while. Just did it there now. Cores are correctly sleeping and idle temp of 34c - 35c on the stock cooler.

Problem solved it would seem.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

Hadn't updated the chipset drivers in a while. Just did it there now. Cores are correctly sleeping and idle temp of 34c - 35c on the stock cooler.

Problem solved it would seem.

It's really worth updating the chipset driver for anyone with a Ryzen CPU as even my 2700X's temps are now running a bit lower at 28-32 ish on the Ryzen balanced power plan, so it not just the newer chips that are seeing a boost.

• Registered Users Posts: 53,898 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

I've gone ahead and bought the AMD Ryzen 9 3900X again. I've had to canceled the 1st order due to lead time (when the 3900X came out a originally)

Scan.co.uk have item due for 15/10/2019 so fingers crossed

Can I ask guys are many using the Wraith Prism or did you get a third party cooler? What would you recommend?

Headshot wrote: »

Can I ask guys are many using the Wraith Prism or did you get a third party cooler? What would you recommend?

I used it for a while and found it fine. But I had ordered a custom cooler when I made my order of all my parts so changed it out just to see and cannot be bothered to take it apart again just to go back to the stock cooler as I had to take off the base plate as the stock uses clips while the custom cooler I had to remove the holders for the clips and back plate too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭AirBiscuit

Have I done something horribly wrong with my setup if my new 2700X is constantly idling between 45-65C? Power plan is on Ryzen Balanced, XMP is on.

kLJBrQH.png

• Advertisement

Why is your GPU also fairly hot if the CPU is idling?

Why is your GPU also fairly hot if the CPU is idling?
    Either:
    A) Because it's 3 years old, probably riddled with dust and dry thermal paste
    or
    B) I was doing some browsing in Firefox with hardware acceleration enabled.
    Probably a combo of both.

Here's true idle for about 3 minutes, with XMP now turned off and power plan on Windows balanced power but with minimum processor power 5%, max 100%
    kHDb17I.png

What is your full specs?

What is your full specs?

MSI B450 Tomahawk Max, bios 3.30 (17/9/19)
    Ryzen 7 2700X
    MSI RX480 8GB

Also:
    Corsair VS550 PSU

There's more, but I've omitted the irrelevant things.

Is it new? Or did it just start acting up recently. Also I read online from a post by a board manufacturer representative that if on a older Ryzen CPU (1st and 2nd gen) you should not update bios to latest that only have fixes for 3000 series CPU's so fall back to the older stable bios before the support for 3rd gen.

Is it new? Or did it just start acting up recently. Also I read online from a post by a board manufacturer representative that if on a older Ryzen CPU (1st and 2nd gen) you should not update bios to latest that only have fixes for 3000 series CPU's so fall back to the older stable bios before the support for 3rd gen.
    The motherboard, CPU and RAM are new. Thinking back, the CPU fan was spinning the slowest during the first few boots before I updated, so that could be it. I might wait for the next update before rolling back just to make sure.

I'd roll back now tbh..

It doesn't hurt anything. Put bios file on USB stick and update.

So a bios file from around May maybe June but afaik that is when they started adding stuff for 3rd gen.

I'd roll back now tbh..

It doesn't hurt anything. Put bios file on USB stick and update.

So a bios file from around May maybe June but afaik that is when they started adding stuff for 3rd gen.
    The Tomahawk Max only came out in July already with 3rd gen support built in, so I'm a bit doubtful rolling back would help.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,133 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

I found at least on my setup that the fan curves are not aggressive enough (3700X and B450M Mortar Max), so I manually tuned the fan speed in bios instead of the MSI 'Smart Fan' control. My CPU previously would rise in temp, then the fans would kick in from 10% speed to 50% with no real ramp in fan speed. I had similar temp bumps as you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 53,898 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Guys is there any where reputable that has this CPU AMD Ryzen 9 3900x in stock?

Overclockers out of stock, no ETA

Scan.co.uk stock due on the 15th but high possibility that there wont be enough stock for my pre-order (i'm 150 on the list for a CPU)

Advertisement