Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

** ALL ** Passport Queries take.two. **! Mod-note in post#1288

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭Deagol

Ryanair do not allow you to travel without a passport - that is their rules. Aerlingus does - see post above.

I never said Ryanair did. To travel to / from the UK does NOT require you to have a passport but the individual travel companies have their own rules on what they accept as photoID. At the end of the day they are the ones liable if someone is caught illegally trying to enter (i.e. someone who isn't Irish / British citizen).

But legally (i.e. from an immigration stand point) you are not required to have a passport travelling between Ireland and the UK.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Donnster80

Hi everyone wondering if you can help. My child's first application was received by passport office on 19th September. Automatically the target issue date was calculated as 24th Oct - we travel on the 25th. As of yesterday the status is now printing. Can anyone advise whether it's not at that point it'll really take till the 24th to issue? How long does it normally take to change from printing to dispatched? I am in the North so have also applied for British passport as a back up (much quicker) but as the rest of the family is Irish and were travelling over the dreaded Brexit I'd rather we were all the same. Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭Slippin Jimmy

Donnster80 wrote: »
    How long does it normally take to change from printing to dispatched?

You should have it by next week. Mine was delivered very quickly when it changed to the printing stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Donnster80

You should have it by next week. Mine was delivered very quickly when it changed to the printing stage.

Thank you - I have just checked there and it has changed to dispatched!

Donnster80 wrote: »
    Thank you - I have just checked there and it has changed to dispatched!

They're really on their game. I remember when it used to take ages to apply for one and receive it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,955 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

Is there any photo app with guidance for taking the photo so that it will be accepted?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,517 ✭✭✭Nothing surprises me now

I just took photo first, (following the guidelines) then attached to see what would happen and they accepted it first time. I'm not great at taking photos so very pleased it was passed!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,051 ✭✭✭tuisginideach

Credit where credit is due - applied online Tues night-time. Passport arrived this morning Friday 8am! That's some service! Well done, passport office staff!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,432 ✭✭✭SusanC10

Husband trying to renew Passport online. I took 8 Photos over the weekend. 7 rejected. 8th accepted. Now he has received an email saying 8th Photo won't be accepted either. Very frustrating.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,390 ✭✭✭VG31

SusanC10 wrote: »
    Husband trying to renew Passport online. I took 8 Photos over the weekend. 7 rejected. 8th accepted. Now he has received an email saying 8th Photo won't be accepted either. Very frustrating.

I would advise getting them done in one of the photo booths.

There's still no guarantee they will accept it, my first photo from a photo booth was automatically rejected (no obvious reason why). I was able to get a refund however.

• Advertisement

Did they specify why they were rejected?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,420 ✭✭✭splinter65

Just get the photos done in the chemist or photo shop. Trying to save money by taking them yourself is a false economy.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,444 ✭✭✭✭Skid X

splinter65 wrote: »
    Just get the photos done in the chemist or photo shop. Trying to save money by taking them yourself is a false economy.

I've taken passport photos on a very ordinary phone for several family members and never had an issue.

Convenient and free.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,420 ✭✭✭splinter65

Skid X wrote: »
    I've taken passport photos on a very ordinary phone for several family members and never had an issue.

Convenient and free.

Yes but not everybody, in fact hardly anybody, is good enough at it to pass the high standards.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,432 ✭✭✭SusanC10

Did they specify why they were rejected?

Seems to be shadows either in the background or shadow on the face though I couldn't see them in the majority of the photos.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Oisinpod

Hi all,

I am currently in Cologne Germany on my own. I lost my passport and am unable to come home. I am going to go to the nearby consulate in the morning to hopefully get a document so I can travel home. I am wondering if this is an easy process / has anyone experienced this before?

I am due to travel again on the 30th so will that travel document I get be able to be used again or is it a one use? How fast can I get a passport to travel on the 30th?

Thanks a lot

• Registered Users Posts: 2,929 ✭✭✭wally79

Oisinpod wrote: »
    Hi all,

I am currently in Cologne Germany on my own. I lost my passport and am unable to come home. I am going to go to the nearby consulate in the morning to hopefully get a document so I can travel home. I am wondering if this is an easy process / has anyone experienced this before?

I am due to travel again on the 30th so will that travel document I get be able to be used again or is it a one use? How fast can I get a passport to travel on the 30th?

Thanks a lot

Friend lost passport in Munich on a Friday afternoon. We had to email the consulate a picture and so took a picture of him in the bar and got an email back that evening with a document which he was able to use to fly on Sunday. He was lucky he noticed before they closed for the day

I seriously doubt if you could use it more than once. It’s just to get you home

Update.

I have gotten my travel document and am flying home this afternoon. I am wondering now how quickly I can get my passport as i am working tomorrow and Wednesday. I am going to make an appointment for Thursday morning. Do you think this will be ok if I am flying on Wednesday evening?(30th)

Thanks so much all

If you do it online you will receive it fairly quickly.

If you do it online you will receive it fairly quickly.

I have an appointment for Thursday but am I better off online even though I lost my old one?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 2,175 Mod ✭✭✭✭Nigel Fairservice

Oisinpod wrote: »
    I have an appointment for Thursday but am I better off online even though I lost my old one?

Keep the appointment.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,683 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

I know this is probably a dumb question, but...

If one applies for a passport via the register of foreign births process, do they return all the original supporting documents like birth cert's, marriage certificates, death certifcates, etc?

I have had a look but only found mention of returning documents if the application is unsuccessful. Obviously I would expect they would return original documents as a matter of course, but their FAQ should state that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭endofrainbow

cnocbui wrote: »

If one applies for a passport via the register of foreign births process, do they return all the original supporting documents like birth cert's, marriage certificates, death certifcates, etc?

I have had a look but only found mention of returning documents if the application is unsuccessful. Obviously I would expect they would return original documents as a matter of course, but their FAQ should state that.

Can you not supply them with certified copies ?

Can you not supply them with certified copies ?

Not by my reading of the requirements. You can provide certified copies of passports and ID documents, but originals of certificates seem to be required.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 192 ✭✭elli21

I applied to renew my passport last week through Passport express.This morning I received back my old one..but a letter requiring my parents and my own original Birth cert.

I was born In England 1972 ..have been living in Ireland since 1975 and have always had Irish passports due to fact my parents are Irish ..Will take a while to rumage out Birth Certs,that's not really my problem.

Due to poor health I haven't travelled so my passport was over 5 yrs out of date..I don't have a drivers liccense.or a pps card which they say one of which is required to complete process.

trying to get through to them...would anyone have an idea of gaining an Id that would satisfy them..

Strange that they accept the Garda stamp comfirming it is me but then request more Id

• Registered Users Posts: 1,722 ✭✭✭It wasnt me123

Garda stamp confirms you signed the papers in front of them, not that its "you".

• Registered Users Posts: 10,002 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

Once your passport is out of date by 5 years it's considered a new application and not a renewal, hence the request for additional documents this time.

Thanks Caranica.

I guess my real question is how do I satisfy their request for a current and valid goverment ID if I don't have a drivers license (unable to drive because of my health) and I also don't have a public service card.

Still trying to get through to them

elli21 wrote: »
    Thanks Caranica.

I guess my real question is how do I satisfy their request for a current and valid government ID if I don't have a drivers license (unable to drive because of my health) and I also don't have a public service card.

Still trying to get through to them

Got through to Passport office..they were quite pleasant and told me to just send a note with birth certs to say I did not have a current and valid government ID.I have the name of the lady dealing with it and will mark it for her attention,She doesn't see any problems with my application .

• Advertisement

cnocbui wrote: »

I have been informed that the documents will be returned. It would be helpful if they stated such things in the FAQ. I know it's easy to assume they would be, but when you have irreplaceable documents, you can't afford to take things for granted.

Advertisement