Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice needed

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,729 ✭✭✭meercat

danap wrote: »
    Thanks meercat. A fan was previously installed in the bathroom that gave up the ghost. He just removed it and added a new fan. Not sure if that makes a difference.

https://safeelectric.ie/help-advice/completion-certificates/

A bathroom is designated as a special area and all work/modifications must comply to current standards.

Depending on your installation and the type of fan it’s possible he should have pointed out that it doesn’t meet current regulations.

Either way tests should always be carried out for work in bathrooms and certificates issued

Notice of potential hazards can be issued for identified problems.

• Registered Users Posts: 653 ✭✭✭Irish_peppa

How do people normally pay tradesmen in 2019? I allways pay cash its not to get any better price or anything but i just assumed they dont accept cheques these days am i right? The last sparks i had over said he didnt accept cheques as he had been stung too many times, i didnt have any cash so he came back the next day to collect. offered paypal but he didnt use that either. Bank transfer and he said he just normally accepted cash as the amount 190 was too small to be getting bank details for me :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 16,913 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

How do people normally pay tradesmen in 2019? I allways pay cash its not to get any better price or anything but i just assumed they dont accept cheques these days am i right? The last sparks i had over said he didnt accept cheques as he had been stung too many times, i didnt have any cash so he came back the next day to collect. offered paypal but he didnt use that either. Bank transfer and he said he just normally accepted cash as the amount 190 was too small to be getting bank details for me

So he didn't give you a VAT receipt obviously. This really gets up my goat. Gives all tradesmen a bad name.

Most legitimate tradesmen take cash, cheques and bank transfer at the very least. Plenty, like myself, have a mobile card machine. My invoices have my address, phone number, vat number and IBAN number.

• Registered Users Posts: 653 ✭✭✭Irish_peppa

Sleeper12 wrote: »
    So he didn't give you a VAT receipt obviously. This really gets up my goat. Gives all tradesmen a bad name.

Most legitimate tradesmen take cash, cheques and bank transfer at the very least. Plenty, like myself, have a mobile card machine. My invoices have my address, phone number, vat number and IBAN number.

Very very rare im offered a receipt its normally . ok thats done xxx amount... thank you bye. I check the work but never hassle them for a receipt, i know i should i just dont want too seem annoying . reminds me i got a quote from a painter the other day for 950 euro for a job which i gave the go ahead for and it was not asked if it included vat nor did he mention it ! I just thought of it now. Im afraid to ask now as he might say..... ehhh actually noooo that was net i didnt include vat so thats extra:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 16,913 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

Very very rare im offered a receipt its normally . ok thats done xxx amount... thank you bye. I check the work but never hassle them for a receipt, i know i should i just dont want too seem annoying . reminds me i got a quote from a painter the other day for 950 euro for a job which i gave the go ahead for and it was not asked if it included vat nor did he mention it ! I just thought of it now. Im afraid to ask now as he might say..... ehhh actually noooo that was net i didnt include vat so thats extra

A few months ago I'm repairing a shower in an apartment /duplex bathroom. A RGI guy is in the kitchen working on the boiler or gas hobs. He tells homeowner that'll be X amount, when he was finished. She says can I pay by card? Oh my machine is in my van he replies. Well I want to pay by card, I don't have cash. He replies well I'll have to charge you the VAT!

He didn't even ask her if she wanted a cash job. I've been a tradesman for more years than I care to remember, as old Mr brennen used to say, but I've never seen anyone so brazen. Wasn't even giving her a choice. Personally I wouldn't have someone like that in my home.

• Advertisement
Advertisement