Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Grazing 2021

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,742 ✭✭✭endainoz

Gotten noticably milder over the last few days. Have been having some fog over night too, perfect growth conditions one might say.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭farawaygrass

endainoz wrote: »
    Gotten noticably milder over the last few days. Have been having some fog over night too, perfect growth conditions one might say.

Heard on the radio earlier that this time 3 years ago we had the big snow imagine

• Registered Users Posts: 29,146 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

Cows back out here today

Heard on the radio earlier that this time 3 years ago we had the big snow imagine

1st March 2018, few weeks after that we had one of the best summers in living memory. Some difference in a few weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭lab man

Land after soaking great. I didn’t need the 4wd on at the gaps. Progress

You'll need it next week wait n see maybe 10 days

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,140 ✭✭✭Dinzee Conlee

lab man wrote: »
    You'll need it next week wait n see maybe 10 days

Where did you see this labman, or what are you basing it on?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,432 ✭✭✭Jb1989

Mt cranium and carlow weather predicting it, amongst others I imagine.

Jb1989 wrote: »
    Mt cranium and carlow weather predicting it, amongst others I imagine.

https://www.met.ie/forecasts/monthly-forecast

Met eireann seem to be saying it'll be settled in the long term though. They just started doing long term forecasting, will be interesting to see how accurate they are with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,130 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

Met eireann seem to be saying it'll be settled in the long term though. They just started doing long term forecasting, will be interesting to see how accurate they are with it.
    That's worth nothing.

Forecast is giving a breakdown middle of next week (Tuesday, Wednesday).
    With cooler for a time and milder again the following Sunday, Monday.

If there's any land work to be done, get it done. Don't rely on that met eireann forecast.

Maiden heifers went out full time yesterday.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,686 ✭✭✭Castlekeeper

That's worth nothing.

Forecast is giving a breakdown middle of next week (Tuesday, Wednesday).
    With cooler for a time and milder again the following Sunday, Monday.

If there's any land work to be done, get it done. Don't rely on that met eireann forecast.

Maiden heifers went out full time yesterday.
    Cows just went out again today, there's no great drying in this cool drizzly weather now compared to the last dry spell. It's supposed to stay cool too so I'm not expecting much growth, I'd say it'll be slow 'til May. We're due a bad year, I might sell a few extra cows while prices are good...

• Advertisement

Cows just went out again today, there's no great drying in this cool drizzly weather now compared to the last dry spell. It's supposed to stay cool too so I'm not expecting much growth, I'd say it'll be slow 'til May. We're due a bad year, I might sell a few extra cows while prices are good...
    We're not getting the drizzly weather over here.
    I'm actually grazing the wettest parts atm. Last few days have been real sunshine belters. Have a few maidens to sell myself.
    Anywhere got that jms is really showing the benefits now. Regrowths are way better than not. Ground is drier too.
    For the road you're going I'd have no hesitancy in recommending it. Test plot in the garden with char and jms put on heavy is really full of nitrogen.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭memorystick

Is it too chilly to let raw bullocks out off slats?

Ah I'm more of a glass half full kind of lad! Great drying here anyway, bit of fog overnight but the sun came soon after.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭Good loser

No. Let them off.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,645 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

I would be very very wary of long term/seasonal forecasts for this part of the world.

Birdnuts wrote: »
    I would be very very wary of long term/seasonal forecasts for this part of the world.

Well it does have a disclaimer at the start on the overall reliability, it's just more of an observation. Was never going to take what they said as gospel like. Though I'd still be more inclined to listen to them than some Donegal postman.

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭ESetter

Left off fr bullocks yesterday..ground only ok but they were sick of the slats and it was an ease to them to get them out.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭memorystick

Let them out today. Not over dry but they’re better off out. It’s the first year I’ve the fencing as good as it is. Arms pulled out of me after driving 80 stakes with that pounder thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭alan10

Hi,
    how long do you typically wait after putting out fert before you can let the cattle out on it?
    Put out 10-10-20 on Paddy's day, was planning to let few out on it tomorrow? Can see the fert - does it do harm to stock?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭Good loser

alan10 wrote: »
    Hi,
    how long do you typically wait after putting out fert before you can let the cattle out on it?
    Put out 10-10-20 on Paddy's day, was planning to let few out on it tomorrow? Can see the fert - does it do harm to stock?

Won't harm stock.

Some spread fert while stock are grazing the same field - have done it myself.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,204 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

Got the last of them out yesterday. Will be tight to get all silage ground grazed my April 1st.

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 24,370 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

Got the last of them out yesterday. Will be tight to get all silage ground grazed my April 1st.

I'm on my last bale on the outwintering ground. Be on the grazing platform in a day or two. Stitch the outwintering ground then

The tide clouds and general signs I keep a good eye on things

We're not getting the drizzly weather over here.
    I'm actually grazing the wettest parts atm. Last few days have been real sunshine belters. Have a few maidens to sell myself.
    Anywhere got that jms is really showing the benefits now. Regrowths are way better than not. Ground is drier too.
    For the road you're going I'd have no hesitancy in recommending it. Test plot in the garden with char and jms put on heavy is really full of nitrogen.

What is jms

• Closed Accounts Posts: 604 ✭✭✭TooOldBoots

Two lots of cattle out with 3 weeks. Unbelievable change on them, they have cleaned off and are fleshing up really well. I have them on grass and 2kg of barley beef ration. I hadn't given them any meal all winter only since I let them out, they look better than cattle on meal and silage all winter.
    Great spell of weather, I'm glad I took no notice of the Druid weathermen and there silly forecasts! Met have been bang on with the forecasts over the last month

lab man wrote: »
    What is jms

Jadam microbial solution.

Sea salt or sea water or brakish water-(which I used), boiled or steamed potatoes - starch food source for microbes, deciduous forest soil never sprayed or fertilized - for the diverse microbes (brakish or seawater would have more microbes too). Then put the forest soil into a pillow case and kneed out the soil through the pillow case in a food grade circular water container with rain or untreated well water. Do the same with the cooked potatoes kneed it through the pillow case.
    Then keep the water at 18c and in three days a circular disc of foam should be on the surface with a clear edge of liquid just be inside the container edge. When you have that it's immediately ready to spray on the soil. (The pillow case kneading through would have taken care of any blockages to your sprayer).
    Spray before and after winter. On a cloudy day just before rain. The rain washes it into the soil where it does it's thing.

It's microbial so spray less than 2 psi and with wide bore nozzles. If you're gardening use a watering can.

https://youtu.be/6-CfEKPo6xY

20201215-121203.jpg

Second pic is nitrates tester.
    Solution was at 2 at start. Then went to 8 when the microbes were at optimum number. That would rise further if the microbes were left be in the container and used up their food source and kicked the bucket. Which is not what you want. All you're left with then is a fertilizer not a microbial solution.

20201215-121030.jpg

But the disk is your visual guide that it's good to go.

8350-14697-2926.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,432 ✭✭✭Jb1989

Two lots of cattle out with 3 weeks. Unbelievable change on them, they have cleaned off and are fleshing up really well. I have them on grass and 2kg of barley beef ration. I hadn't given them any meal all winter only since I let them out, they look better than cattle on meal and silage all winter.
    Great spell of weather, I'm glad I took no notice of the Druid weathermen and there silly forecasts! Met have been bang on with the forecasts over the last month

Are you planning to get rid of them in the next few weeks with going with ration so early?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 604 ✭✭✭TooOldBoots

Jb1989 wrote: »
    Are you planning to get rid of them in the next few weeks with going with ration so early?

Yes they'll be gone by mid April. They are the lighter store cattle that wouldn't be factory fit till the end of the year. My land isn't good enough for fattening cattle so they have to move on

• Registered Users Posts: 11,164 ✭✭✭✭Base price

I let out 14 yearling heifers for a nip of grass earlier this month. I moved them to another field on Thursday and noticed that two of them are showing signs of bloat - they appear ok and are grazing away but I'm concerned. I've never seen bloat at this time of the year as I always reckoned it was due to clover growth in late Summer. The land that they are grazing hasn't got any slurry yet and we don't use artificial fertilizer. They are CHx's amongst a group of bought in LMx, AAx and HEx in Dec/Jan. The bunch were dosed on arrival with Albex/Alltrace Mineral bolus and after a few weeks with Imec pour on.

??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,164 ✭✭✭✭Base price

I brought the two heifers back in this morning and gave them wheaten straw which they ate. This evening the bloat had gone down but not gone away. I will keep them in for while, give them wheaten straw and silage and see how they get on. As they are the only two CHx's in the group I thought that they maybe from the same herd but they are not.

Advertisement