Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

When's calving starting 2021

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 726 ✭✭✭valtra2

Half way point here 25 done 14 bulls 11 hefiers. One fatality. Started the 8th. sick of cows now. Vet called twice for backwards upside down one and hefier with a small jacking but nice to have a vet there.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,679 ✭✭✭squinn2912

whelan2 wrote: »
    6 calves today. Last one there had one leg bent back. Massive fr bull out of fr4728. Missed liverpool's first goal .

It’s as well Mo had another one for you to see! That was a full day!!

• Registered Users Posts: 29,085 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

squinn2912 wrote: »
    It’s as well Mo had another one for you to see! That was a full day!!

Was some goal the second one

• Registered Users Posts: 4,679 ✭✭✭squinn2912

Was some goal the second one

Two brilliant goals would lift a person out of their hangover good and proper!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭Dunedin

Dunedin wrote: »
    She’s back eating and drinking this morning which is good. but no no sign of her to pop albeit pins are well dropped.

I went out this morning to get ivy and I caught her eating on the phone so left the ivy in the ditch as fairly wet morning here.

She was chewing the cud away too this morning.

Cow calved at 6pm this evening (during Liverpool match!!). Had a fine lively bull calf and threw him herself so got to see end of the match and then went out to her.

Great results all round.....!! Big game next Sunday now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,209 ✭✭✭tanko

Good stuff, did she clean, they often hold the cleaning for a few days when they're induced.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭Dunedin

tanko wrote: »
    Good stuff, did she clean, they often hold the cleaning for a few days when they're induced.

Yep. Cleaned afterwards

• Registered Users Posts: 2,620 ✭✭✭Lime Tree Farm

Do any of you give the cow a bucket full of warm water with salt, after calving supposed to bring on the cleaning.

or when a cow is not showing an interest in her calf, to rub meal onto the wet calf.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,925 ✭✭✭Hard Knocks

Do any of you give the cow a bucket full of warm water with salt, after calving supposed to bring on the cleaning.

or when a cow is not showing an interest in her calf, to rub meal onto the wet calf.

Throw the meal alright, if needed
    Generally a first calver

• Registered Users Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭Mac Taylor

Use the bucket always......use salt on calf.....meal is too messy for me. Dash of salt all over especially the head also keeps them away from navel. Some of them go mad for iodine.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,620 ✭✭✭Lime Tree Farm

Mac Taylor wrote: »
    Use the bucket always......use salt on calf.....meal is too messy for me. Dash of salt all over especially the head also keeps them away from navel. Some of them go mad for iodine.

That was the way my Dad did it, salt on the calf.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭charolais0153

Mac Taylor wrote: »

Vets recommend the sprays anymore, enegmycin ,use it in all lambs and calves and no joint ill

• Registered Users Posts: 23 Suckler farmer

We had heifer due end of March but started to spring up ten days ago. Initially we thought maybe we had wrong dates. Tail out all day yesterday. Passing blood and mucus. Handled yesterday evening. Heifer hadn’t opened. Vet came this morning. He was able to get heifer opened slightly. Calf was way down. Reckons calf is probably dead from a puck and heifer is aborting. Vet going to call tomorrow morning to give steroid/induce if heifer hasn’t made any further progress herself. Anyone any experience of this?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭funkey_monkey

We had heifer due end of March but started to spring up ten days ago. Initially we thought maybe we had wrong dates. Tail out all day yesterday. Passing blood and mucus. Handled yesterday evening. Heifer hadn’t opened. Vet came this morning. He was able to get heifer opened slightly. Calf was way down. Reckons calf is probably dead from a puck and heifer is aborting. Vet going to call tomorrow morning to give steroid/induce if heifer hasn’t made any further progress herself. Anyone any experience of this?

Had something similar happen a number of years ago. Walked into shed one morning and there was a dead calf lying at the feed gate. No explanation for it - was well enough developed and nothing abnormal. We put it down to the cow getting a kick at some stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,925 ✭✭✭Hard Knocks

Had something similar happen a number of years ago. Walked into shed one morning and there was a dead calf lying at the feed gate. No explanation for it - was well enough developed and nothing abnormal. We put it down to the cow getting a kick at some stage.

Had the same recently
    I’ve a habit of moving cows close to calving into a pen beside calving pen
    Was told that was the reason, as there can be a bit of rough play

Have an in calf heifer with my dry cows in my new shed. After they are fed she does laps of the shed. Everyday. Shed is 10 bays long. Cant be good for the calf

• Registered Users Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Timmaay

15 calved, 2 downer cows this morning (one mf and one slipped ugghh), its lunchtime and I haven't even had time for breakfast yet, I'm beginning to feel like a real farmer again.

Timmaay wrote: »
    15 calved, 2 downer cows this morning (one mf and one slipped ugghh), its lunchtime and I haven't even had time for breakfast yet, I'm beginning to feel like a real farmer again.

And the f£&king scraper tractor just ran out of diesel ugghhhh.

Timmaay wrote: »
    And the f£&king scraper tractor just ran out of diesel ugghhhh.

Is it raining there?

• Registered Users Posts: 548 ✭✭✭Morris Moss

65 calved here so far, going for a long walk around the town this evening, need to get away from the farm for a while.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭funkey_monkey

First one of the season calved this morning. Was expecting her to calf in March, but there you go.
    Calf was up and sucked and out in the feed passage running up and down the shed. :)

Is it raining there?

On and off. Alot of rain overnight. No surprises but absolutely nobody here with cows out. I haven't been out in the paddocks in like a month ha, but with the rain coming it will be 10days before we can even consider getting out. More juggling until then, luckily I got 2 silage pits nearly empty and no straw, just buying in loads as needed, so not too bad for sheds.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭Mooooo

Two new calving gates installed today, hopefully wont need much use but at least they are there now. The two sheds will allow for the Feb burst and one can be converted back to a calf shed once the burst has passed.
    1 bull 5 heifers so far

• Registered Users Posts: 1,028 ✭✭✭DukeCaboom

Mooooo wrote: »
    Two new calving gates installed today, hopefully wont need much use but at least they are there now. The two sheds will allow for the Feb burst and one can be converted back to a calf shed once the burst has passed.
    1 bull 5 heifers so far

Any flecks this year??

• Registered Users Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭Mooooo

DukeCaboom wrote: »
    Any flecks this year??

The 5 fleck crosses are in calf, one slipped to March so in calf to a Hereford, another to start of April so in calf to stock bull and the others are in calf to Fr, but no cows in calf to fleck. They have a longer gestation, if calves come black and white they don't get much more compared to a fr bull in the mart and the cows themselves don't outperform the hol/ fr on milk but eat more.
    After the first week of March cows will be calving either from AI Hereford/ Belgian blue or AA stock bull. Think there are only 4 or 5 in calf to BB tho

• Registered Users Posts: 1,701 ✭✭✭dar31

DukeCaboom wrote: »
    Any flecks this year??

heard muted reports of a good few hol/fr in calf to flecks having to use the side door

• Registered Users Posts: 1,028 ✭✭✭DukeCaboom

The 5 fleck crosses are in calf, one slipped to March so in calf to a Hereford, another to start of April so in calf to stock bull and the others are in calf to Fr, but no cows in calf to fleck. They have a longer gestation, if calves come black and white they don't get much more compared to a fr bull in the mart and the cows themselves don't outperform the hol/ fr on milk but eat more.
    After the first week of March cows will be calving either from AI Hereford/ Belgian blue or AA stock bull. Think there are only 4 or 5 in calf to BB tho

Every body here is grateful for you sharing so honestly. Don't think many will chance them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,382 ✭✭✭Wildsurfer

1 bull 5 heifers so far

What gates did you go for Moo? I'm debating between Bo steel and O Donnell Eng as they can fix the headlock with a drop pin and the full gate swings around the cow to guide her in. I have one where only a small section of gate swings and it can be hard to get cow in as she'll keep wheeling around

• Registered Users Posts: 3,519 ✭✭✭Limestone Cowboy

Wildsurfer wrote: »
    What gates did you go for Moo? I'm debating between Bo steel and O Donnell Eng as they can fix the headlock with a drop pin and the full gate swings around the cow to guide her in. I have one where only a small section of gate swings and it can be hard to get cow in as she'll keep wheeling around

Think Condon do one like that too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭thatsmighty

Watching on the calving cameras

Advertisement