Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Belcamp College, Malahide Road.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 941 ✭✭✭An gal gréine

Gerry, well done with the pics on Belcamp. It's still sad every time I see how delapidated the place now is. I know memories can be dodgy, especially after all this time, but my recollection is of early '74 as bein the first disco. They would'nt have let us at it any younger than that, anyway!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 archy1

Hear you ,.. I might give you 73 , but deffo earlier that 74 the very 1st one was in the Study hall, I remember the night well alot of trouble ensured, and after is was the libary in the new school, I did my inter cert that year Sept 72/June 73 from my new class room. What year were you there, class etc...regards Gerry Cooley:rolleyes:

I remember the second one very well and that was about Easter '74. Now the first one MAY have been before the previous Christmas which would make it '73 and us in 5th year AFTER the Inter Cert.
    Think of it this way, if it was before the Inter, that means that our class plus the 2 senior classes above us would all have been cramped into that little library and that's before you add in the girls' schools and other interested parties.
    I'll be in touch with you off-line as we said at the re-union in April, Gerry.
    Did you not read my other posts under this thread ? Dead giveaway.

Did you look at the Video? read the class names do you have any more. You may be right for Christmas 73 but that was in the Study hall? regards Gerry

We were disappointed that we did'nt see jumpin jack flash himself struttin his stuff in the library on the video.

• Advertisement

Somethings are best forgotten, lets meet up before summer ends. PS Can you email me the photo of John Brennan outside Dardistown for inclusion my book?

gerrycooley@gmail.com

• Registered Users Posts: 7 zeemeee

Gary Cummins - is that the same Gary Cummins that won the Debs disco dancing competiotion in 1981?
    Hi There

I attended Belcamp from 1976-79.just wondering if anyone knows what the following pupils who attended at the same time are doing now?

Ciarain chalky White
    John Kelly
    Aussie
    Greg Doherty
    David Heenan
    Paul Mcgough
    Brian Spratt

:)

• Registered Users Posts: 7 zeemeee

Lost marbles - if foxy was your brother then you must be John.

i remember sean alright he hung around with pat brady [big lad ]
    i think my bro "foxy " would have been in your class .ciarain was a good ball player alright .
    do you remember playing football in the tennis courts with the tennis ball
    no footballs allowed .could,nt tell you what they are doing now because moved away years ago .
    walking up that lane or across the fields in the rain and then waiting hours on a friday evening for the 42 bus at campions .
    i remember getting halled across the coals [wrongly i might say ] for being accused of letting the air out of sean cartys tyres on his bike .
    remember the race of bikes across the bridge to the main gate .
    i think a guy called stephen byrne was in your class [very good footballer (soccer)]
    he went to the states and joined the american navy and lives there now .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 paramedicjoe

how are you doing delallio maybe you are right in what you say. its these rose tinted glasses of mine and the search for my youth. if the truth be known i probably hated the place i was in 1L the L meaning we done latin with mr garvey .now some mod here is going to pull me on this but we are talking history here .guys i remember were a kelly ,garvey,brady,delaney,maybe you were in my class .belcamp had all the marks of one of the top boarding schools in its day and still could hold its own in todays ireland but for its location and the fact it closed down the boarding end of things even though i got out after the inter cert some of the teachers did leave a good impression on me
    regards
    marbles
    Hi to all.I have just joined and am curious about former classmates.I left in 1979 after fifth year.I was in the Latin class from first year onwards.Perhaps it is the midlife crisis,but I would really like to follow up on my old classmates.As you can see from my log in I am invloved in Ambulance Services and can be contacted at joe@medilink999.ie

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 danny_dublin

I attended from 1996-2002, so I'm considerably later than a lot of the previous contributors. I stumbled upon this page after I'd been added by a classmate on Facebook, then found a link on his profile for a Belcamp College group (http://www.facebook.com/?ref=logo#!/group.php?gid=54484594035) where I found the link to this thread. I heard a number of years ago the old school grounds were being sold, and the school closed. I'd forgotten all about it until recently when I decided to check things out. Sorry to see that I missed the events of last year, would've been great to go for one last time, and attend the social too. Glad a good time was had though.
    It's certainly sad to see that it has come to this, with so much history in the place. Maybe it's a sign of the times, and maybe if it'd been located in a different part of the city this may not have happened, but what's done is done now. At least we all have fond memories, and a lot to be thankful for. All the best to one and all into the future.
    Danny

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1 davetaxi

in belcamp college were they hang you from your bo***x
    and archy plays snooker with your balls,
    ************* you know the rest **************
    cmon guys
    wheres the class of 80 upwards, Farley, Greer,Fogo,[the original] the Kellys,flynn,finn,o'casey..................in the words of Frank Gallagher "Lets have a PARTY!!!!!!!
    come on MR O'reagan, Gleeson, Scanell, Wilson(all is forgivin) Casey, Fern, Garvey, o'shea..........
    lets have a reunion:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2 tigger28

Just found this thread,I attended Belcamp from 1966 to 1972
    Brings back a lot of memories not all good or bad but all along time ago
    Had there been any more reunions since.

are any of the old priests still alive they would be a great age now
    ARCHIE BILLER BARRETT Mulligan

Ronan

• Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭lost marbles

tigger28 wrote: »

Ronan
    jeeze tigger the place must have being rightly in the country back then .when i went to belcamp darndale was only a new estate .they called it H block .
    dont know about any of the old teachers . but looks like the school will end up in the hands of NAMA now . i even see the hoardings are gone from the gate on the malahide rd .so q the vandals and copper vultures to eventully strip the place clean .
    shame .

tigger28 wrote: »

Ronan

Archie is in a parish in Australia, Ned a chaplain in a Kerry hospital and Biddy is at Hq in Inchicore. Biller and Shag passed away in the 90's, Fido and Jimmy since then. There's been no re-unions since but some of the Class of '75 meet from time to time.

• Registered Users Posts: 345 ✭✭justindublin

Tonight...

Photo%20Apr%2013%2C%2011%2027%2044%20p.m..jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Cathalp66

Heard about the fire on Facebook last night, so I had to see for myself if what they said was true and it is a very sad sight indeed. The main school is destroyed and there was obvious signs of previous fires in the main house. Thankfully I read in a newspaper article at the weekend that the Stain glass windows of the church had been removed and placed in safe keeping in the national museum. I went to Beller from 79 to 82 and was in the B class. I remember so many of the teachers, Biddy Mulligan, Barret, Casey, Miss McDonnell, McFay, Dempsey, Brendan Gleeson, Trimble and the legendary Fr Archibald. And who could forget Fr Haughy. They where great days, playing ball with a tennisball, nearly ****ting yourself as it screwed up towards those stainglass windows. Great days. Sorry to see the state of the school now :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 rmrc43

Hi left belcamp in 1979 does anyone know where to get a copy of tom o sheas book belcamp forvever or as its title the belcamp story

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,980 ✭✭✭Dotrel

Sorry for digging up this old thread. I have a question. Could someone tell me where the grounds of Belcamp College were? I'm looking to find it on google maps. I've established it was on the malahide road but as it's now (as I understand?) a bunch of apartments there's not much point using that alone as a locator.

Could someone here tell me where this school was located? Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 797 ✭✭✭Tiercel Dave

Can you work Google Maps with these co ordinates?
    "Belcamp" lat=53.4074751887, lon=-6.18684007593
    Dave

• Registered Users Posts: 10 BISHBOY

Hi

can some of the pupils tell me something of the history of Belcamp? how long is/was it in existence !
    A cousin of mine has recently died in USA age 92, born in NYC in 1919, mother died in 1921 ( my Aunt) he was sent to Ireland for schooling and it is said that he went to Belcamp - probably in 1930's . Is it possible to check this from any publication that may exist ?

Thanks

• Advertisement

1893 was the year Belcamp opened by the Oblate Fathers and was sold to a property developer in 2004. Anyone attending the school at this point was alowed to stay until they finished their final exams in June 2009.
    Maybe Vincent Mulligan at Oblate hq can help you with the historical records.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 BISHBOY

Many thanks for reply. The Oblates were mentioned in his obituary but in Limerick . So i will follow this up

• Registered Users Posts: 1,355 ✭✭✭Belfast

good to see so many people remmber Belcamp.
    My uncle was in the Oblate Fathers in Belcamp.
    He was very proud of the Harry Clark windows in the church.
    My uncle told me the tower in honour of Washington was the only monument built to Washington during his life time.

index.php?id=1707994&t=w
    Sir Edward Newenham, MP, 1734-1814
    Propagandist, popular politician, conservative reactionary, Edward Newenham excited sharply different responses during his lifetime. He was encouraged by his admiration for Charles Lucas in Ireland and John Wilkes in England to take up the issue of parliamentary reform, and by his support for the cause of the American colonists to become one of the warmest advocates of American independence from Britain this side of the Atlantic during the American Revolution. His admiration for the American cause brought him into contact with Benjamin Franklin, who aspired to recruit him to the American cause, George Washington, John Jay and the marquis of Lafayette who introduced him to the court of Louis XVI though Britain and France were at war. Their surviving correspondences provide one of the main sources for this study, and they show clearly that Newenham did not, as some contemporaries believed, ever engage in treasonable activity. His commitment throughout his political life was to uphold the Protestant constitution, and it is this commitment that allows one to make sense of a life that saw him make a significant contribution as a reforming revenue officer, as a prolific and outspoken propagandist, as a popular MP for County Dublin for more than twenty years, as a Volunteer officer, and finally as a conservative ideologue who supported the Act of Union and opposed Catholic relief.

He was also a devoted husband and father (to eighteen children) until his mismanagement of his inheritance, largely on the construction of Belcamp Hall in north County Dublin, precipitated him on an economic roller coaster that caused him to spend a spell in a debtors' prison. He died in genteel poverty, but he remained until the end a representative voice of that strong strand of Protestant opinion that believed utterly in the merits of a 'Protestant constitution'.

http://www.fourcourtspress.ie/product.php?intProductID=426

In 1778 he erected a tower in honour of Washington in the grounds of his demesne, Belcamp Hall,
    11350025_1.jpg
    http://www.rds.ie/cat_historic_member_detail.jsp?itemID=1097822&item_name=
    http://www.buildingsofireland.ie/niah/search.jsp?type=record&county=FI&regno=11350025

• Registered Users Posts: 1,355 ✭✭✭Belfast

Just heard about the fire.
    Glad my uncle did not live to see to it happen.
    photo of the fire damage.
    http://leonotron.com/belcamp/belcamp.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭Mance Rayder

A terrible shame. I went there from 1996 - 2002. It was a lovely building in beautiful surroundings . Unfortunatly the close proximity of certain estates spelled doom for the school. I grew up near by, and judgeing by what it's like today, that area truely has gone to hell.

Still can't believe they built a Hilton there.

R.I.P Belcamp.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,019 ✭✭✭davycc

I was passing & stopped in for a look as im an ex pupil 93/98 & disgusted to see the fire damage....some degenerates out there :(

I was under the impression that the entire buildings & lands where under the control of NAMA? can any confirm if this is still the case as I noticed the football pitches & just about every patch of grass has been ploughed up for farm use & been planted with some crops recently....

Is this even legal considering its the property of NAMA?

could the farmer who ploughed the school grounds gotten permission in some way from them or some other body or is he purely a chancer grabbing some "free " land & seeing how long he can get away with it?

• Registered Users Posts: 752 ✭✭✭micraX

^^^ farmers can rent land off NAMA, better than it lying idle and its some revenue from it. some lad got a grand few acres of fresh ground for spuds this year:)

micraX wrote: »
    ^^^ farmers can rent land off NAMA, better than it lying idle and its some revenue from it. some lad got a grand few acres of fresh ground for spuds this year:)

Virgin soil too. It was only ever football fields for the last 50 years and more.

• Registered Users Posts: 752 ✭✭✭micraX

Be very good ground. To be honest I'm glad there and many other building site wastelands are been returned to farming. I woulda loved to have taken Belcamp, always wanted to plough a football pitch. Haha

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭Missent

I believe Belcamp was also the home of the Jervis-White-Jervis family of baronets for some time. The baronetcy was granted to the fantastically named family while at Bally Ellis, Co. Wexford but I believe they moved to Belcamp shortly afterwards. The baronetcy is now extinct. If you google "Jervis-White-Jervis" some details come up.

Daniel O'Connell wrote a snorter of a letter to the second baronet, who was a strong conservative, which was published in the Wexford Independent at one stage.

Advertisement