Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What games have you been playing lately?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

That's Mad Max done now. Christ, 2015 really was the year of open world excess. :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 393 ✭✭Iguarantee

Back playing BF1.

Man, it’s so much better than BF5

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,715 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

Iguarantee wrote: »
    Back playing BF1.

Man, it’s so much better than BF5

Yeah doing a bit of BF1 myself, such a good game compared to BF5.
    My main shooter is hell let Loose its on a whole different level but its nice to play something less realistic every so often.
    Apart from that playing Valheim recently [who isnt :P] great game, mad to think my two most played games so far in 2021 are both early access games.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,572 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Finally got round to starting Resident Evil 7. Interesting to see the early stalker mechanic pre-RE2 remake. Overall I like it but it feels a bit more like Silent Hill than Resident Evil.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,627 ✭✭✭Gamer Bhoy 89

I beat Black Mesa during the week. I'm onto Half Life 2 now. MUCH better than the predecessor. The gravity gun is a wonderful toy, as well.

All day I've been playing this while keep an eye out for PS5s in stock. Wild goose chase at this stage.

image.png

• Moderators Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭Azza

The Half Life 1 vs Half Life 2 debate is an interesting one.

Unquestionable Half Life 2 makes great strides in graphics, environmental interaction and story telling but its inarguable worse when it comes to combat.

Half Life 2 has technically better A.I capable of doing more advanced actions. The problem is that the map design of Half Life 2 and Episode 1 prevents the A.I from doing its more advanced behavior resulting in A.I that frequently just has soldiers standing out in the open firing or charges straight at the player. Its also a much easier game as the game uses a dynamic supply system where the supply creates in game will always give the players exactly what they need in terms of health or ammo. From my understanding the map design of Half Life 2 Episode 2 allowed the solider A.I to show off what it can as does some mods but in Half Life 2 and HL2 Episode 1 the combat.

Half Life 1 on the other hand has limits to the A.I in that it can't shoot and move at the same time but the A.I is faster, moves around a lot more telegraphs its movements better via audio barks and uses grenades more to flush the enemy out as well as being able to take and dish out damage better, which making them more interesting and challenging to fight. There more fun to fight than the A.I in Black Mesa as well who's ability to move and shoot actually makes them less interesting to fight than the constantly relocating soldiers in HL1. Though you could argue the changes to monster A.I in Black Mesa make the monster more interesting to fight in that game.

Gotten into Xcom 2 WotC a bit, it is a lot of fun. It's crazy how quickly how wrong things can go for you, my squad is absolute decimated at the moment (none dead though). It's actually not a terrible thing though because it forces you to bring some rookies in and get them promoted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,627 ✭✭✭Gamer Bhoy 89

Trying out Parkitect. It's basically a love-letter to Rollercoaster Tycoon fans - what RCT4 SHOULD'VE BEEN

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭Slippin Jimmy

Trying out Parkitect. It's basically a love-letter to Rollercoaster Tycoon fans - what RCT4 SHOULD'VE BEEN

Played it last year. Very enjoyable. I believe it has multilayer now.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,572 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Finished the main portion of Resident Evil 7 and the Not a Hero DLC. The Madhouse difficulty is utterly unforgiving. It's got some ideas but it's got flaws as well. Why do developers include unskippable nonsense in games? First time is grand but when there are no checkpoints going through the same dialogue over and over again because of a difficult boss fight is just torture.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,294 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Assassin's Creed 3.
    I'm still a wee bit behind in these games. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,691 ✭✭✭Glebee

At last im getting back into games and for the first time in a long time I have a few games on the go.
    Dayz - Only just started playing it again after along break and am going to try out the modded server scene.
    Fallen Order - Eventually got this running somewhere near decent on my PC. Great game overall.
    Greedfall - Excellent RPG, not complete but I think im done with it.
    Spiritfarer - Lovely little management style game
    Crusader Kings 3 - Trying to get to gripbs with this beast
    Control - Only just started, but great fun so far.
    Shadow Tactics - Just completed the tuturial level. I used to love the old Commandos and Desperado game.

*Almost forgot, signed up to free month of Stadia so have Little Nightmares 2 to get through.

Desperados 3 is basically Shadow Tactics in a Western setting but better. It's easily one of the best games I played last year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,779 ✭✭✭1o059k7ewrqj3n

I just got a new laptop - budget gaming laptop, Lenovo i5, intel i5, 16gig of RAM and a RTX 2060 6gig gfx card.

This is the first time I've had a laptop that could handle games made today. Sort of.

I've been playing Black Mesa. It's a fantastic game to look at, but you wish sometimes the developers had just tried things a little differently, so far in on Earth the levels/maps are exactly the same as the original.

Feels cheeky to take a swipe at it though, it's gorgeous to look at.

Valheim gave me a few good few weeks of gaming.
    Thought id check out Deep Rock Galactic again after 18 months or so and its an amazing game.
    Some Hell let Lose in there also.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,834 ✭✭✭Useful.Idiot

Steyr 556 wrote: »
    I've been playing Black Mesa. It's a fantastic game to look at, but you wish sometimes the developers had just tried things a little differently, so far in on Earth the levels/maps are exactly the same as the original.

Yeah I think they were going more for a faithful remastering for those sections of the game; so that it was the Half-Life that fans had in their memories, without the original's dated graphics spoiling the memory. Though in saying that the Xen levels were completely redone, so I guess in general Half-Life fans didn't have as fond memories for the end of the game ha. I never really thought of the Xen levels whenever I got hit with Half-Life nostalgia.

I said above I'd been playing XCom2, I had been having an absolute blast but my god the difficulty of the game takes a massive jump as you go along. I'm not even playing on a difficult setting or on ironman. I am obviously not that good at it, but I have absolutely no idea how anyone finishes a campaign on the hardest difficulty on ironman.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,216 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

I am obviously not that good at it, but I have absolutely no idea how anyone finishes a campaign on the hardest difficulty on ironman.

The only people who do it are hardcore masochist's. They enjoy suffering and pain.

At least thats the only conclusion i can draw having tried it :pac:

Kiith wrote: »
    At least thats the only conclusion i can draw having tried it :pac:
    Tried Xcom that is...not masochism :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

Dyson Sphere Program.

I have no idea what I am doing.

• Advertisement

Dyson Sphere Program.

I have no idea what I am doing.

One of the best automation games going

Gave Dyson Sphere Program a go because of this thread. Found it much more accessible than Factorio which didn't grab me at all. Debating just uninstalling it already though because it's highly addictive..

For some reason I've given Cuphead a go. I'm on the last island but the game is so brutal in its difficulty. It's got a level of charm I'm not used to seeing in games.

For some reason I've given Cuphead a go. I'm on the last island but the game is so brutal in its difficulty. It's got a level of charm I'm not used to seeing in games.

Can you play 2-player online yet? I bought it purely with Gunstar Heroes in mind but it didn't deliver

Can you play 2-player online yet? I bought it purely with Gunstar Heroes in mind but it didn't deliver

I think so. I've not tried it but there is a remote play notification on Steam when I launch the game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

2 point hospital - the spiritual successor to theme hospital. Alright but got boring fast.

Dawn of man - really enjoyed it, not much to it but a fun time killer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,043 ✭✭✭steve_r

Playing a "remastered" form of Goldeneye at the moment, more for nostalgia than anything else. It's amazing the things you remember despite not having played a game in almost twenty years.

I say "remastered" - the first level looks a lot better but the middle levels look much the same!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

Maybe they just remastered the first level. :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

I picked up Mad games tycoon 2 today. Played 4 hours of it so far and I like it so far.

It's early access game, but there is plenty of meat there. So far not very challenging, but I like it for that. Very stress free tycoon game.

So once i had my fill of Valheim i went back to Deep Rock Galactic.
    I hadnt played in about 18 months but i refunded the game back then so didnt really invest much time.
    Since its on game pass PC i thought i would revisit.
    Lets just say i cant put it down now.
    I even bought the steam version after a few days once i learned both are different versions and different player bases.
    I could barely find a game for a mission i needed on game pass but when i did i could se the slow gameplay and a lot of controller users.
    The move to steam version was incredible literally many thousands of players online.
    Im at the stage now im really beginning to see the skill ceiling if not getting close to reaching it especially the scout class which really does require skills when playing the hardest hazard level and deep dives.
    The endgame is very good too with plenty to do but what a game, highly recommend to anyone.
    Its so much better now than i remember, plenty of possibilities for diverse builds but the gameplay loop is the hook its great stuff and close to the best co-op ive ever played add in the looter shooter aspect and many game modes its win win.
    Also less than €20 on steam this weekend plus free to play for the weekend as part of the games 3 years anniversary of early access.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,436 ✭✭✭Homelander

Deep Rock is a great game. I have it on Game Pass and play occassionally with friends, it's so satisfying to play and I'm not usually into those types of games.

• Registered Users Posts: 467 ✭✭Dave1711

Bought Hitman 3 once they aloud you to port over progress / content from older games so just finished replaying through them and am about halfways through Hitman 3. Just finished the Berlin mission which i loved.

Dipping in and out of Valheim or group is fighting the final boss this week hopefully most have lost a bit of interest as we put up 100+ hours in 2 weeks lol so just a slow grind for an hour or two a day atm looking forward to new content though.

After that i got a ps5 last week so been playing through Control on and off nearly finished now and think its quite good not blown away by it but its a solid 7 or 8/10 for me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,923 ✭✭✭kearneybobs

Been playing through Borderlands 3. Enjoying it and went for the first season pass.
    Playing the latest Picross and started Hades on the switch too.

I've got a REAL hankering to play Splinter Cell or a similar stealth game. No idea why. Remember Blacklist and Conviction were OK games but quite a diversion from the tried and tested formula. Anyone got any suggestions on something akin to those games?

I've got a REAL hankering to play Splinter Cell or a similar stealth game. No idea why. Remember Blacklist and Conviction were OK games but quite a diversion from the tried and tested formula. Anyone got any suggestions on something akin to those games?

I feel you pain one of favorite series of games,there isnt much out there that scratches that itch but the Hitman series is pretty good for stealth and really underrated are the Styx games, really good stealth mechanics in that imo, really enjoyed them

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,923 ✭✭✭kearneybobs

Dave1711 wrote: »
    I feel you pain one of favorite series of games,there isnt much out there that scratches that itch but the Hitman series is pretty good for stealth and really underrated are the Styx games, really good stealth mechanics in that imo, really enjoyed them

I played the first Styx game and found it to be a complete chore. The world was TOO big and convoluted. The stealth wasn't very satisfying. I'm tempted to give the second one a go though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,024 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

Hitman 2016 just delivered. Looking forward to getting killing

Finished a playthrough of XCom2 WotC this morning. Purists would probably be horrified at how I played, did everything really slowly, lots of save scumming etc, but have to say it is absolutely outstanding. Will definitely play through it again maybe later this year on a harder setting.

Playing a bit of Valheim, and also half way through a Divinity OS2 run. Nothing is really grabbing me at the moment though.

Same here, resubbed to wow:(

• Advertisement

The Nal wrote: »
    Hitman 2016 just delivered. Looking forward to getting killing

Enjoy great series

Was playing The Long Dark on pilgrim survival mode, but starting to find the random wolf attacks to be getting a bit tedious. Now playing Valheim.

Hooked on Loop Hero. I was put off by the graphics as I think the 8-bit era is very ugly but it's good. Relaxing enough as the game kinda plays itself. Even the 8-bit chip tunes got through to me.

Still playing a bit of Warcraft but also going to try out Yakuza series on xbox pass.

Started Wasteland 3 on Game Pass there. I really want to enjoy it but it seems you can just completely **** up your character builds which is stressing me out a bit.

Edit - ok gotten into it a bit more, it's really really good. Enjoying it a lot, once you get over the initial hill of character creation.

Around four hours into Hades. Most fun game I've played in years.

Edit: This game is a must-play.. I've never played anything like it before. It's immensely satisfying.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,756 ✭✭✭Thecageyone

Edit: This game is a must-play.. I've never played anything like it before. It's immensely satisfying.

I've been eyeing that one for a while now, must get it sorted.

I've been playing Wreckfest via XBGP, nice driving/DD game, I suck at it though but still fun just smashing cars!

Just downloaded 'It takes two' last night, not got to try it yet but should do later, looks fun

It's easily the best game of last year. Absolutely fantastic.

Finished Wasteland 3, it's really good if you like that style of game. I think I'll start Divinty OS2 again, I played about 80% of the way through before the definitive edition came out, and have always wanted to go back.

I think I'll also start Hades, played about 5 hours of it before but will start again and really get into it.

Also going to give another plug for Desperados 3, it's on Game Pass so could not recommend it more highly.

RopeDrink wrote: »
    Black Desert

Any good? Heard its got good combat but overall its ruined by your typical PTW Korean mmo ****e.

Black Desert sure sounds interesting. I picked it up for free a while ago on steam alright but never installed. Must check it out.

• Advertisement
Advertisement