Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Warhammer: Total War

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,162 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Gbear wrote: »
    It probably is actually, at least when you take its effects into account above the base gold.

Never occurred to me to use it for slaves. Did a google and looks like Quintex and Har Ganeth are the winners.

I still remember WH1 when Marienberg's port was insane as the Empire. It was basically my money pit.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Registered Users Posts: 4,216 ✭✭✭Potatoeman

Legendoftotalwar done a video on this, the slave market is broken and can be gamed but the chaos invasion is in a terrible place for the dark elves. I tried them first but the lack of global recruitment was such a pain and I was using my black arch’s for treasure hunting.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,162 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Potatoeman wrote: »
    Legendoftotalwar done a video on this, the slave market is broken and can be gamed but the chaos invasion is in a terrible place for the dark elves. I tried them first but the lack of global recruitment was such a pain and I was using my black arch’s for treasure hunting.

Is it one of his campaigns or a dedicated video?

I've only half-cocked it by building the slave market/pens in Naggarond and another in Karond Kar. I've not min-maxed at all and I've never had to worry about money. It's an absurdly fun mechanic.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

Is it one of his campaigns or a dedicated video?

I've only half-cocked it by building the slave market/pens in Naggarond and another in Karond Kar. I've not min-maxed at all and I've never had to worry about money. It's an absurdly fun mechanic.

Two separate videos, one on the slave market as you need to set where they go before you catch them, you set the number to go to each manually as they go to cities that don’t need them in automatically.

The chaos invasion was a separate video, you might want to set this setting lower due to where they spawn.

Two separate videos, one on the slave market as you need to set where they go before you catch them, you set the number to go to each manually as they go to cities that don’t need them in automatically.

The chaos invasion was a separate video, you might want to set this setting lower due to where they spawn.

Too late as I've already hit the first chaos invasion.

I've tried finding his videos on the Dark Elf economy but no joy. He did one recently on the Chaos invasion difficulty setting CA just added.

H. H. Asquith

• Advertisement

Too late as I've already hit the first chaos invasion.

I've tried finding his videos on the Dark Elf economy but no joy. He did one recently on the Chaos invasion difficulty setting CA just added.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Kq2dv26qDeU
    Try this one, different guy.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Kq2dv26qDeU
    Try this one, different guy.

I was going to ask if you meant someone else. Thanks for that. He has a new one out about a money exploit when playing as Yvresse. Well worth watching:

H. H. Asquith

• Registered Users Posts: 13,004 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

There's a new (I think) guy on YouTube called MercyTheMad who has made some interesting videos recently, LoTW got the infinite money thing from him. Had another video recently showing how to get Isabella to lv40 by turn 7.

I was going to ask if you meant someone else. Thanks for that. He has a new one out about a money exploit when playing as Yvresse. Well worth watching.

It is a flaw of the game, they don’t highlight the different faction mechanics very well. The slave market is mentioned at the start but not explained very well.

Looks like the Dark Elves are getting a new, free legendary lord in the form of Rakarth the Beastlord on the 18th March.

H. H. Asquith

• Advertisement

Voiced by Iwan Rheon who played Ramsay Bolton on Game of Thrones. An interesting choice.

H. H. Asquith

• Registered Users Posts: 12,483 ✭✭✭✭Varik

He's got his hounds and the like.

site to unlock it on 18th

https://dashboard.totalwar.com/home

• Registered Users Posts: 323 ✭✭Iguarantee

Really enjoying the (Grombrindal) Dwarves campaign at the moment.

Good starting position and unit mix.

There are a few livestreams showing off Rakarth. Interesting new lord. I'm off this for lent but I might give him a go once that's done. Don't think there's any word on the DLC so far.

H. H. Asquith

There are a few livestreams showing off Rakarth. Interesting new lord. I'm off this for lent but I might give him a go once that's done. Don't think there's any word on the DLC so far.

I have LegendOfTotalWar on in the background at the moment. The starting position seems interesting. The lord himself doesn't seem to be that strong which is fine I guess. Loads of other stuff has changed in the patch as well for Dark Elves, Skaven, Wood Elves.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

Iguarantee wrote: »
    Really enjoying the (Grombrindal) Dwarves campaign at the moment.

Good starting position and unit mix.

Starting off with the flamethrower infantry is a gamechanger. They're so ludicrously satisfying to use. Just wait for enemy infantry to hit your front line, move around the side and totally incinerate a unit in 1 shot.

The patch notes are up.

A suprising amount of cool changes to Dark Elves.

Hellebron and Lokir Fellheart are getting some much needed love so they're not being left behind by Rakarth.

Poor Malus still needs some tweaking to his mechanics, but still, 5/6 good LLs is a pretty good spot to be in now.

I really love how far along the mechanics have come. You feel you get your money's worth and you're not getting fleeced with each DLC.

Starting off with the flamethrower infantry is a gamechanger. They're so ludicrously satisfying to use. Just wait for enemy infantry to hit your front line, move around the side and totally incinerate a unit in 1 shot.

The patch notes are up.

A suprising amount of cool changes to Dark Elves.

Hellebron and Lokir Fellheart are getting some much needed love so they're not being left behind by Rakarth.

Poor Malus still needs some tweaking to his mechanics, but still, 5/6 good LLs is a pretty good spot to be in now.

I really love how far along the mechanics have come. You feel you get your money's worth and you're not getting fleeced with each DLC.

If you’re interested, the Grimhammer mod made some great and much needed changes to the mechanics.

If you’re interested, the Grimhammer mod made some great and much needed changes to the mechanics.

In some respects I think they've changed too much. Some races benefit more than others. I think Skaven High Elves, Dark Elves, Empire and now, after recent patches, Greenskins and Wood Elves, are all in a good spot in Vanilla, but SFO is the only way that Beastmen or Chaos are playable at all. I'm playing an Archaon SFO game at the moment.

Hopefully we'll see a horde update with what is presumably going to be a Beastmen DLC, that helps all horde factions, and a bit of tinkering with the Dwarves, because they're functional but boring in Vanilla and SFO.

In some respects I think they've changed too much. Some races benefit more than others. I think Skaven High Elves, Dark Elves, Empire and now, after recent patches, Greenskins and Wood Elves, are all in a good spot in Vanilla, but SFO is the only way that Beastmen or Chaos are playable at all. I'm playing an Archaon SFO game at the moment.

Hopefully we'll see a horde update with what is presumably going to be a Beastmen DLC, that helps all horde factions, and a bit of tinkering with the Dwarves, because they're functional but boring in Vanilla and SFO.

SFO?

SFO?

Steel Faith Overhaul. Very popular mod that alters many mechanics of the game. Should be prominent in the Steam Workshop if you want to try it.

H. H. Asquith

• Advertisement

Grimhammer = SFO

SFO is the mod team.

Grimhammer = SFO

SFO is the mod team.

Cheers lads.

Purchased the latest DLC (wood elves & skaven). The wood elf campaign is fun, lots of arrows. They're quite poor against regular armoured infantry early game though. Need more treemen.

Rome: Total War Remastered is coming out next month, bit out of the blue. Graphically it's still of its time, seems they've added a good bit of QoL stuff (like modern camera controls etc), don't think I'll get it but put some amount of hours into it back in the day. Initially released over 16 years ago :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 18,910 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

^
    What's the point?

Tony EH wrote: »
    ^
    What's the point?

It's Rome but shiny. What's not to like?

H. H. Asquith

It's Rome but shiny. What's not to like?

I just don't see the point when Rome II is already here and is a better game. Don't get me wrong, I loved Rome and played it well, well, passed its "use by" date and the mods for it were great. But Rome II, in the state it's in now and with the Divide et Impera mod, far surpasses it.

I just don't see the point when Rome II is already here and is a better game. Don't get me wrong, I loved Rome and played it well, well, passed its "use by" date and the mods for it were great. But Rome II, in the state it's in now and with the Divide et Impera mod, far surpasses it.

I found Rome II to be boring. Like, incredibly tedious and dumbed down. The civil war mechanic adds nothing, the city management has been stripped to the point where the player is barely involved and the combat lacks the weight and crunch of the original. It barely has a soundtrack on top of everything else.

If you like it, fair enough but I had a lot more fun with the original Rome. It's aged horribly but we don't have that problem any more now that the remaster is here and according to the few Youtube videos I've seen, it looks great.

H. H. Asquith

I found Rome II to be boring. Like, incredibly tedious and dumbed down. The civil war mechanic adds nothing, the city management has been stripped to the point where the player is barely involved and the combat lacks the weight and crunch of the original. It barely has a soundtrack on top of everything else.

If you like it, fair enough but I had a lot more fun with the original Rome. It's aged horribly but we don't have that problem any more now that the remaster is here and according to the few Youtube videos I've seen, it looks great.

Out of the box Rome II wasn't great. But with mods it was a different game. I cannot imagine even bothering with it in its release state.

But the original Rome was just far too easy. The cavalry alone could wipe out any resistance.

The problem with both games, and TW in general, is that once the player gets to a certain level they can just romp around the map with impunity. So things like realm divide, civil war and Chaos get written into the game. It's a cheap alternative for the devs, but always one that pisses off the players.

If they're doing a complete overhaul of Rome, I might be interested. But if it's just "shiny" Rome. Then I'll not bother.

Plus, they're looking for $30 for it. :/

Out of the box Rome II wasn't great. But with mods it was a different game. I cannot imagine even bothering with it in its release state.

But the original Rome was just far too easy. The cavalry alone could wipe out any resistance.

The problem with both games, and TW in general, is that once the player gets to a certain level they can just romp around the map with impunity. So things like realm divide, civil war and Chaos get written into the game. It's a cheap alternative for the devs, but always one that pisses off the players.

If they're doing a complete overhaul of Rome, I might be interested. But if it's just "shiny" Rome. Then I'll not bother.

Plus, they're looking for $30 for it. :/

If you already own Rome: Total War then it's half price. Here, in the UK it's £12.50.

The civil war was just boring, as was the political system. Realm divide made sense given Shogun 2's focus on Japan. Chaos makes sense within Warhammer lore but Rome II's political system just boiled down to bribing opposition parties not to revolt and then leaving one province in the hands of secessionists to prevent future civil wars. As I said, boring.

All strategy games suffer from snowballing. The only one I've seen deal with it well was Crusader Kings 2. There's not really much that can be done about it IMO. I don't really like adding mods to games so I've only played Rome II vanilla. It's ok but only ok.

H. H. Asquith

• Advertisement

Realm divide was silly. Chaos was annoying as fuck. Civil war in Rome, while also annoying (and eventually) boring made sense given the history. Either way none of those "solutions" to late game TW issues are satisfactory. As for diplomacy, I have never played a TW where I thought that it was good. So, for me, they are all just variations of bad. At least in Rome II, you could build meaningful alliances though. The worst thing about both Rome's is that you were always required to suck up to other nations to keep them on side, as it were. It was just a ticking clock before they ended up hating you for no reason.

I've never played Crusader Kings. Might give that a go. But I have Attila there and I've never fired it up and I still have a Britannia campaign that I've yet to finish from 2 years ago. LOL

I own the disks of Rome 1, which I bought before Steam was even a thing, so I suppose that doesn't count?

Advertisement