Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

31-12-2017, 23:26   #1
castle2012

Property Market 2018

With supply still very tight. A homeless problem. Rising employment. It sure looks like where set for more large rises. There's not much to suggest otherwise. Any thoughts?

Last edited by The_Conductor; 20-08-2018 at 07:33. Reason: Added a shiny new prefix to the thread title
Thanks from:
Advertisement
01-01-2018, 00:10   #2
padd b1975

Hoping for another year of increases and waving goodbye to ten years of negative equity.
01-01-2018, 07:02   #3
VonBeanie

After 1 year of RPZ, rental inflation continues. Making it illegal to discriminate against social welfare tenants has not made it any easier for social housing tenants to find accommodation in the private rented sector. Increasing house completions have not been extensive enough to halt house price inflation (especially in the first time buyer end of the market).

I hope for change in 2018, but expect to be posting the same post this time next year.
01-01-2018, 07:09   #4
Henbabani

i guess there is some hope for the younger people, 2017 increase probably would be aroung 8-9%, far from the double digit that everyone spoke about.
With the number of housing current built or on the way plus the understanding that the brexit will not move a lots of jobs from London to Dublin, we can (i guess) see calm increases, around 4-5% in the new year.
01-01-2018, 10:47   #5
Averagevegan

Investor properties will probably peak and possible fall this year.
Family 3 bed semi-D another double digit year
Trophy Houses serious price growth ~20%

Loads of media headlines about how unsustainable it is. but in reality there will be lots of ex-rentals on the market at low prices for people to buy.
Advertisement
01-01-2018, 11:56   #6
sunnyday1234

hoping for my rented house to be worth 250k this year and its going on the market right away then. Identical houses in estate currently going for "offers in excess of 230k" so i am hoping to be able to give my tenants notice in Nov 2018 and put on market in Feb 2019

The old greed is kicking in though as people are saying "hold on to it , it will keep going up". But myself and the wife made a decision a few years back to sell at 250k and thats it

Last edited by sunnyday1234; 01-01-2018 at 12:01.
01-01-2018, 12:02   #7
kippy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henbabani View Post
i guess there is some hope for the younger people, 2017 increase probably would be aroung 8-9%, far from the double digit that everyone spoke about.
With the number of housing current built or on the way plus the understanding that the brexit will not move a lots of jobs from London to Dublin, we can (i guess) see calm increases, around 4-5% in the new year.
I wouldn't be so cheerful about those double digit growths not happening, those percentages growths are still massive in real terms.
Thanks from:
01-01-2018, 12:10   #8
Henbabani

Quote:
Originally Posted by kippy View Post
Quote:
I wouldn't be so cheerful about those double digit growths not happening, those percentages growths are still massive in real terms.
I know, but as a person i always try to look on the positive side, in the last quarter prices increased by only 1% or a bit more, that's really good and reflected 4-5% yearly increase, which is good also, and maybe with all those articles talking about massive increase in building we may see decrease in the prices.
01-01-2018, 12:33   #9
Graham

Quote:
with all those articles talking about massive increase in building
What articles?
Advertisement
01-01-2018, 12:47   #10
LirW

There is no massive building, the building that's happening is either social housing built by NGOs and family housing to drip-feed the market. In the Dublin area this mainly accommodates a market that's quite high in price for FTBs. Affordable housing is being built in commuter counties and even there the prices are pretty high in comparison.
Last thing I've seen is the whipping up of a development in Gorey with starting prices of 300k.
01-01-2018, 16:26   #11
handlemaster

No matter what happens in 2018 all fingers will point at the landlord. I expect to see more government actions trying to heat off of them by getting the public attention on landlords. Perhaps a super tax on landlord property sales or some such nonsence.
(5) thanks from:
02-01-2018, 07:50   #12
Henbabani

"According to the MyHome study, asking prices fell back 1 per cent nationally during the final three months of last year and by 0.4 per cent in Dublin. Over the year, prices were up 11.1 per cent in Dublin with the median price standing at €330,000 at the end of the fourth quarter compared with €195,000 outside of the capital."
Even in Dublin the prices are started to fell back.
Thanks from:
02-01-2018, 08:01   #13
Averagevegan

Quote:
"According to the MyHome study, asking prices fell back 1 per cent nationally during the final three months of last year and by 0.4 per cent in Dublin. Over the year, prices were up 11.1 per cent in Dublin with the median price standing at €330,000 at the end of the fourth quarter compared with €195,000 outside of the capital."
Even in Dublin the prices are started to fell back.
I would guess it's more affordable ex-rental entering the market rather than property becoming cheaper.
Without more detailed numbers it would be impossible to be sure
Thanks from:
02-01-2018, 09:35   #14
Henbabani

Headline from daft report for 2017 property market which says everything i guess
"Almost no change in house prices in second half of 2017 - but it doesn't mean a bubble has burst"

http://www.daft.ie/blog/wp-content/uploads/2017/12/Q4-2017-House-price-report.pdf
02-01-2018, 10:27   #15
Rothmans

Quote:
Headline from daft report for 2017 property market which says everything i guess
"Almost no change in house prices in second half of 2017 - but it doesn't mean a bubble has burst"

http://www.daft.ie/blog/wp-content/uploads/2017/12/Q4-2017-House-price-report.pdf
Slowdown in the market? Or is supply finally starting to meet demand? Or are people finally maxed out as a result of the central bank rules? It'll be an interesting year for sure.

Edit: I'm somewhat taken aback that prices are starting to falter (however slight) in the regions also, as I wouldn't have thought that the CB rules would have started to curtail things there yet.

Last edited by Rothmans; 02-01-2018 at 10:32.
Thanks from:

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion