Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Free physical Revolut card

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

Supercell wrote: »
    Are we talking about different things?
    Ulsterbank Visa Debit card is on that list, I topped up my Revolut (visa) card yesterday using google pay (which has my Ulsterbank Visa Debit on it - only) just yesterday and it went though perfectly.

The same thing, but different I think. I think the poster was asking if they could use Google Pay and Revolut Visa, which they can't. What you're doing is toping up your Revolut card via Google Pay using your Ulster Bank Visa debit.

edit: What Fletch said.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,461 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

Bit confused here, I ordered mine with the free card and it's VISA which I'm reading now won't work for Google Pay contactless. Can I change the card to get a free MasterCard?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,088 ✭✭✭batistuta9

fletch wrote: »
    Revolut card was also very handy for withdrawing money on my holidays this year. Transaction fee was only 15 cent whereas it's 2.5% of euro amount with AIB...that worked out to be a big difference (100 times cheaper on €600)! Coupled with that, the rate was much better so even more savings.

fees aren't that cheap, you get €200 atm withdrawals free a month, after that it's 2%
    you still be saving though, you could get 950 out with revoult for the price of 600 with aib.

+ there's no transaction/maintenance fees with revolut. if you've no free banking another reason to use it

using atm's is probably the biggest drawback with it. the atms themselves need to used carefully or you'll accept their conversion rate

• Registered Users Posts: 7,380 ✭✭✭fletch

batistuta9 wrote: »
    fees aren't that cheap, you get €200 atm withdrawals free a month, after that it's 2%
    you still be saving though, you could get 950 out with revoult for the price of 600 with aib.

+ there's no transaction/maintenance fees with revolut. if you've no free banking another reason to use it

using atm's is probably the biggest drawback with it. the atms themselves need to used carefully or you'll accept their conversion rate
    Thanks for highlighting that ....I just looked back at my transactions and you are correct...my bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭TripleSSS

Ush1 wrote: »
    Bit confused here, I ordered mine with the free card and it's VISA which I'm reading now won't work for Google Pay contactless. Can I change the card to get a free MasterCard?

I'm in the same situation - I wanted to get the Revolut Card so I could add it to my Google pay (as Bank of Ireland don't allow this).

How do you change the visa to Mastercard?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭TripleSSS

OmegaGene wrote: »
    the limit is probably a security measure for the time being, once you top up with euro and exchange to any currency lets say lira if you wanted a turkish netflix subscription to get netflix cheaper then you get a lira account and so on
    when you make a purchase in gbp or dollars then revolut will take from that automatically or convert it from euro if you dont have t converted

so long story short you can convert yourself to take advantage of low rates or let revolut do it for you

How do you go about getting a Turkish Netflix account? Is it much cheaper?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

Ush1 wrote: »
    TripleSSS wrote: »
    I'm in the same situation - I wanted to get the Revolut Card so I could add it to my Google pay (as Bank of Ireland don't allow this).

I'm pretty sure you can't, they use Visa now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭rustledjimmies

How do you go about getting a Turkish Netflix account? Is it much cheaper?

Head off there -> https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057802168

• Registered Users Posts: 5,449 ✭✭✭blastman

You can't. Revolut cards were Mastercards until fairly recently, then they decided to change to Visa. You can't decide to pick one or the other.

I presume Google Pay will eventually be enabled on the Visa cards, too. No idea when, though.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭scamalert

worked fine recently on play store purchase but then again registered my boi card years ago :confused: , thou had issue where i couldnt order physical card just a week ago, thought maybe balance was low but tried today and went out smooth. Def worth to watch out now if sterling drops and convert.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭rustledjimmies

scamalert wrote: »
    worked fine recently on play store purchase but then again registered my boi card years ago :confused:

Google Play is not Google Pay! You can register many more types of card as Play store payment methods - including Bank of Ireland credit cards like I did.

Just setup Google Pay now because of this thread using my Revolut Mastercard card from last year's BA :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,771 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

Bank of England expect sterling to crash if no backstop vote goes through in two weeks.
    Tick tock.

• Registered Users Posts: 27 kateee47298

I love my revolut card and app, especially for sending people money, splitting bills or exchanging currency for abroad

• Registered Users Posts: 519 ✭✭✭tv3tg4

Can you swap the physical MasterCard for a visa card?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,591 ✭✭✭Kat1170

Ok, slightly lost here. Been planning on going Revolut for a while now and decided with the ability to get an actual card, time was now.

I've signed up, transferred money and been verified. Do I have to wait for the card to arrive or can I start using it now. I can't find an account number/exp.date/ccv anywhere on the app.

Any help welcome

TIA. K1170

• Registered Users Posts: 308 ✭✭donnyvegas

Kat1170 wrote: »
    Ok, slightly lost here. Been planning on going Revolut for a while now and decided with the ability to get an actual card, time was now.

I've signed up, transferred money and been verified. Do I have to wait for the card to arrive or can I start using it now. I can't find an account number/exp.date/ccv anywhere on the app.

Any help welcome

TIA. K1170

You can use the money immediately. The info is there....check for a tab called Cards. You will see all the info you want.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,231 ✭✭✭mutley18

If you work in Northern Ireland but live in the Republic and get paid in sterling to a Northern bank, would Revolut be beneficial to you? Transfer the money to Revolut card and then use as euro? Trying to get my head around this

• Registered Users Posts: 3,591 ✭✭✭Kat1170

I think I'm about to feel awful stupid, but sure it won't be the first nor last I'd say.

Are the numbers on the pic of the card the actual account numbers.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,771 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

Kat1170 wrote: »
    I think I'm about to feel awful stupid, but sure it won't be the first nor last I'd say.

Are the numbers on the pic of the card the actual account numbers.

Yep.

• Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭Skippy along

I have a visa debit card already on google pay. Does that mean the Revolut visa card will work?

Works for me...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,231 ✭✭✭mutley18

That would work out well for you

Oh really? Am I right in thinking there will be no charges? But I will just need to pay for everything with the Revolut card and no cash?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 153 ✭✭Frunchy

What are the advantages of using Revolut over a traditional debit card from an Irish bank?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭The high horse brigade

Frunchy wrote: »
    What are the advantages of using Revolut over a traditional debit card from an Irish bank?

Lodge in Euro and then transfer or pay in sterling, dollars and many other currencies with no fees and get the exact exchange rate on the day

• Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭Samson1

Works for me...

Revolut VISA card does not work on Google Pay ?

• Registered Users Posts: 342 ✭✭yorlum11

What's the difference between Revolut and say a Skrill card?

• Registered Users Posts: 40 oliver29

As OmegaGene said, no live rates and there's a charge for currency exchange.

The only benefit I know of with skrill is that it appears as a normal credit card and not a prepay card to vendors.

Uploading money to revolut is a lot quicker in my experience. Skrill usually takes 1 or 2 days for the funds to arrive or at least that's been my experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 40 oliver29

Or just register your normal Euro Bank and GBP accounts in revolut, you can then upload GBP and send it to your regular Euro Acc.

There are exchange limits per month in Revolut, so for a heavy user (mortgage/rent etc.) it would be worth while taking out the premium option with revolut

Samson1 wrote: »
    Works for me...

Yeah That's what I thought too.. But bought a kids app for €3.99 on Google app store and took the money from my revolut card...

Samson1 wrote: »
    Works for me...

Yeah That's what I thought too.. But bought a kids app for €3.99 on Google app store and took the money from my revolut card...

And amazingly when I got the wrong app google play refunded me the €3.99 back to my revolut card.. Figure that one out

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭The high horse brigade

Is there some confusion here between
    Google play & google pay ?

Yeah Google pay is contactless using the Google pay app and NFC on your phone or watch. I think you can have any card linked to your play store.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement