Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Dublin Bay North General Election 2019

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,994 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

neris wrote: »
    O'Riordan has posters up saying he was involved in getting a new Garda station for Dublin 13 & 17. When did this happen and wheres it going?
    Clongriffen http://www.dublinpeople.com/news/northsideeast/articles/2019/06/14/4175317-new-garda-station-is-under-consideration-for-clongriffin/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,006 ✭✭✭antimatterx

I see one of David Healy posters has replaced one of Catherine Noone at Clongriffin Dart station. Disgusting thing to do.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,271 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

I see one of David Healy posters has replaced one of Catherine Noone at Clongriffin Dart station. Disgusting thing to do.

And did they dispose of the other poster in an environmentally friendly manner!
    *double fault for the GP there*

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭Dietmar Hamann

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,778 ✭✭✭BowWow

Wont be voting for her. Watched her a couple of weeks ago at HYC's AGM. Arrived late, walked up the front to sit down, spent meeting on her phone, then in AOB made a speech as to how she was available for he constituents - as a Senator she should know that she doesn't have them....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,017 ✭✭✭bren2001

From the article linked: "she had initially denied having made the comments, before being told there was a tape of her saying them."

She said something very stupid and then denied saying it. That doesn't paint the best picture of her. Between this and how she handled the "uproar" over parking on the path outside the Beachcomber, she has shown herself as utterly incompetent at the job she is running for.

I wonder how much this will affect her chances. She was always borderline for that 5th seat so I'd start ruling her out of that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,778 ✭✭✭BowWow

Ironically, having failed to get elected in Leo's own constituency, he moved her to ours...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,852 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

Maybe she saw herself as Tom Cruise to Leo's Dustin Hoffman when they were running mates:P

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭Dietmar Hamann

Article has been updated with Noone being quoted saying other "potentially offensive" words could also used and taken out of context. How she included one of the words in the list is beyond me...

From the article: "The Times Ireland quoted Ms Noone as attempting to give examples of potentially offensive words that could be used out of context, such as “special” and “n***er”. She quickly clarified that she would never use the latter word and said that it was a bad example, The Times Ireland said."

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-news/taoiseach-says-catherine-noone-apology-is-good-enough-for-him-1.4153845

If that quote is true she should not be in public office and thrown out of party.

She could do with thinking before she speaks in future.

• Advertisement

has she got a case of appointedtotheseanad-itis
    EOqtuiVX4AMeAT_?format=jpg

whichcandidate.ie is up, voter politician/party matching survey

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,635 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

That's an interesting site, made me think anyways! :D

In the Tax Cuts v Public Spending question. Why is there no 'No Tax Cuts, get better value from our Public Spending' option? :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,068 ✭✭✭✭neris

I got Bruton for candidate and Renua for party.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,635 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

On second thoughts....

I shared 70% with Cian O’Callaghan, I share 85% DNA with a mouse. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,688 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Catherine Noone now gone from about evens on Paddy Power out to 12/1, shes toast

• Advertisement

Muahahaha wrote: »
    Catherine Noone now gone from about evens on Paddy Power out to 12/1, shes toast

Wow. She was probably hoping to pickup some of Averil Power's 6000 votes from the Sutton end of the constituency together with the O'Muiri \ Regan FG votes.

I wonder who will be the biggest gainer from her implosion.

Dunno but Aodhan is now odds on for a seat at 1/6 whereas he was 6/5 just a few weeks ago.

Going by the bookies odds the five seats will be Richard Bruton (1/25), Sean Haughey (1/33), Denise Mitchell (1/10), David Healy (1/8) and Aodhan o Riordain (1/6)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,309 ✭✭✭scheister

Dunno but Aodhan is now odds on for a seat at 1/6 whereas he was 6/5 just a few weeks ago.

Going by the bookies odds the five seats will be Richard Bruton (1/25), Sean Haughey (1/33), Denise Mitchell (1/10), David Healy (1/8) and Aodhan o Riordain (1/6)

interesting that Aodhan is getting her floating votes compare to Cia O Callaghan

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,068 ✭✭✭✭neris

How many attempts has healy made to try get into the dail.

Did Healy's odds not change recently?

• Advertisement

Did Healy's odds not change recently?

Im not sure, all I know is he is now 1/8. Id presume he was available at longer odds when they first opened the book a few weeks ago but I dont know what they were.

Paddy Power seem sure with their odds for the DBN constituency compared to other constituencies, the 5 they think are going to get elected are all unbackable at such short odds. They are giving such short prices to prevent more people backing them to thus limit their exposure.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,912 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

I backed O'Riordain to be next leader of the Labour party a few months ago at 13/1 as the Labour party constitution says they must have a leadership contest after every general election and its obviously time for Howlin to step aside. I just need the favourite Jan o'Sullivan to lose her seat in Limerick now and I might be quids in because the rest of them all hate Alan Kelly and O'Riordain would be the last man standing, he would get it by default of being the least annoying of all of them. C'mon Aodhan ! .

:D

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

I didn't know them odds. I am surprised Mitchell is that short. But since Broughan and McGrath are gone it leaves less competition.

I looked up Brian Garrigan's website - Independent born in London but with proud Irish parents. Who gave a sob story about his life - Dyslexic, ADHD, Coeliac disease, being called a British b@stard while at school in Dublin etc on his website.

http://www.briangarrigan.ie/my_issues.php

It all seemed OK nothing different to what you would hear from those looking to court the disenfranchised.

Then there was this bit -

"On Immigration we should have a point’s based system like Australia. We have People coming from over Albania, Georgia, Africa and Asia and landing in Ireland and claiming Political Refugee Status, they have to pass 20 – 30 safe countries Ireland is surrounded by sea, by 2040 the Irish could be an Ethnic Minority in their own Country, Look at London."

--

This to me showed no hint of irony that he was so anti-immigrant despite being born in London and complaining that Irish people were racist towards him at school!

"I suffered Racism in school and was often called a British B…..d “ not in front of the Teachers” and to this day I thought Racism is the worst from of bulling especially to any child."

---

Then another choice is Ben Gilroy the 'anti eviction candidate' who has in the past ran for MEP. Bookies have him ahead of the PBP candidates at 33/1 not sure what that says about them?

--

I would hazard a guess that these two lads Gilroy and Garrigan are not going to be the new Tommy Broughan or Finian McGrath. :eek:

I am surprised FF and FG do not get half decent running mates for Haughey and Bruton. You would think that they should be able to carry a second seat?
    What hope has Noone?
    Heaney has been hanging around for years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,400 ✭✭✭✭Collie D

The Garrigan lad is also claiming to be an Independent TD on his posters. Google him and you’ll find some very interesting articles from 2006 about someone with the same name and living in the area aged 26 at the time. Would he be 40? Looks a little older so may not be him but very coincidental.

Collie D wrote: »
    The Garrigan lad is also claiming to be an Independent TD on his posters. Google him and you’ll find some very interesting articles from 2006 about someone with the same name and living in the area aged 26 at the time. Would he be 40? Looks a little older so may not be him but very coincidental.

Jayus... :eek:

He looks about 40ish that age would align with the fact he was taught by Roddy Doyle in Greendale (said that on Garrigan's website). Doyle became a full time writer in 1993.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,762 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

He can't spell or punctuate for shít, surely that's a minimum bar for a potential TD.

Inquitus wrote: »
    He can't spell or punctuate for shít, surely that's a minimum bar for a potential TD.

In fairness he did say he was dyslexic.

Did anyone else see the defaced FF and FG posters on the coast road? Clontarf/Dollymount area. Scum was written on some FF posters and RIC was written on FG Leo Varadkar. posters.

2 TDs quit and the constituency is still boring, with predictable outcomes

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,400 ✭✭✭✭Collie D

Did anyone else see the defaced FF and FG posters on the coast road? Clontarf/Dollymount area. Scum was written on some FF posters and RIC was written on FG Leo Varadkar. posters.

I did see a couple of “fight the power” type young lads tearing down a Varadkar poster on Amiens Street the other night. Usually I would say something but I’m not getting a box in the head for Leo :)

• Advertisement

Leaflet drop in D3 from Richard Bruton urging a vote #1 Noone & vote #2 Bruton for all 'government party' supporters... can't see that working.

I like that Independent Linda McEvoy makes some very specific policy suggestions re: Dublin Docklands development plan instead of a more jobs more everything for everyone. But very long shot to get in, worth a preference I think.

odyssey06 wrote: »
    Leaflet drop in D3 from Richard Bruton urging a vote #1 Noone & vote #2 Bruton for all 'government party' supporters... can't see that working.

I like that Independent Linda McEvoy makes some very specific policy suggestions re: Dublin Docklands development plan instead of a more jobs more everything for everyone. But very long shot to get in, worth a preference I think.
    did you read further down the leaflet?

did you read further down the leaflet?

Hmmm... do you mean the 5G stuff which she wants Dublin to follow Brussels and Geneva bans?
    http://buncranatogether.com/home/2019/5/9/both-brussels-and-geneva-ban-rollout-of-5g-for-health-reasons-and-call-for-investigation

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,371 ✭✭✭Phoebas

I'm very tempted to vote for Ben Gilroy :pac:

https://www.facebook.com/120612321335447/posts/2909341732462478/?vh=e

Phoebas wrote: »

Hmm, he seems skilled in using a hurl but not in conjunction with a sliothar :)

odyssey06 wrote: »
    Hmm, he seems skilled in using a hurl but not in conjunction with a sliothar :)

They should get him to mediate the political debates on the telly - hurl and all..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭veetwin

In fairness he did say he was dyslexic.

So he knows he is dyslexic but goes ahead and publishes that head melting diatribe anyway. Surely it wouldn't have beyond the bounds of possibility to have someone look over it and correct the horrendous amount of grammar errors.

• Registered Users Posts: 696 ✭✭✭Stewball

Eamon Ryan speaking about David Healy's anti choice stance.
    https://www.breakingnews.ie/ireland/greens-repeat-unity-message-despite-differences-on-abortion-and-courts-980171.html?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

If you voted for Repeal and are now voting for this guy in DBN - you need your head examined.
    He'll be another anti-choicer alongside the majority of Fianna Fail TDs.

Stewball wrote: »
    Eamon Ryan speaking about David Healy's anti choice stance.
    https://www.breakingnews.ie/ireland/greens-repeat-unity-message-despite-differences-on-abortion-and-courts-980171.html?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

If you voted for Repeal and are now voting for this guy in DBN - you need your head examined.
    He'll be another anti-choicer alongside the majority of Fianna Fail TDs.

But there was over 30% that voted against the abortion referendum remember.
    It is ironic that you use the term 'anti-choicer' when it is David Healy's choice to be pro-life. If anything it might attract some older voters or pro-life voters to vote for Healy - that would otherwise not vote Green normally.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,206 ✭✭✭jos28

But there was over 30% that voted against the abortion referendum remember.
    It is ironic that you use the term 'anti-choicer' when it is David Healy's choice to be pro-life. If anything it might attract some older voters or pro-life voters to vote for Healy - that would otherwise not vote Green normally.

Glad I read this thread before the big day. I had planned to give our only Green candidate a 2 or 3 - not after reading this. I respect his choice to be pro life but his views don't align with mine.

jos28 wrote: »
    Glad I read this thread before the big day. I had planned to give our only Green candidate a 2 or 3 - not after reading this. I respect his choice to be pro life but his views don't align with mine.

He has gone up a notch for me because of it. I believe he is a solicitor by training as well. Has interest in the Irish language as well. At least there is an honest about him. To be honest I was struggling which three to pick since Broughan and McGrath retired.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,006 ✭✭✭antimatterx

Just voted there now in Baldoiyle, it was very quiet.

1. Catherine Noone
    2. Richard Bruton
    3. Cian O'Callaghan
    4. Aodhan O'Riordan

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,049 ✭✭✭Ohmeha

Early tallies pointing towards seats for Mitchell, Bruton, Haughey, O'Riordan and a battle for the last seat between Healy and O'Callaghan - I'd guess Healy would be favourite on transfers/surpluses?

Ohmeha wrote: »
    Early tallies pointing towards seats for Mitchell, Bruton, Haughey, O'Riordan and a battle for the last seat between Healy and O'Callaghan - I'd guess Healy would be favourite on transfers/surpluses?

Current tally is: Mitchell 29%, Bruton 15.3, O'Riordan 13.2, Haughey 11.1, Cian 7.2, Healy 6.7, Heeney 5.7, and Lyons 3.2.

Still early and Howth boxes to be opened which will benefit Cian and Healy. Very interesting to see where Mitchells transfers go. It's hard to know if the Greens will be transfer friendly just yet. I wouldn't rule out John Lyons just yet, he may be transfer friendly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,371 ✭✭✭Phoebas

bren2001 wrote: »
    Current tally is: Mitchell 29%, Bruton 15.3, O'Riordan 13.2, Haughey 11.1, Cian 7.2, Healy 6.7, Heeney 5.7, and Lyons 3.2.

Still early and Howth boxes to be opened which will benefit Cian and Healy. Very interesting to see where Mitchells transfers go. It's hard to know if the Greens will be transfer friendly just yet. I wouldn't rule out John Lyons just yet, he may be transfer friendly.

I'd expect any SF surplus to go towards the SDs rather than the greens.

• Advertisement

I'd expect any SF surplus to go towards the SDs rather than the greens.

Cian didn't do well when Michael Mac Donnacha was eliminated in 2016. I'm of the opinion that Cian doesn't fit the demographics for transfers. Outside of Mitchell, John Lyons picked up a good few of the transfers. It depends who the "new" SF voters are. That will be a fascinating watch.

RTE reckon Healy will get the 5th seat because the Howth boxes have not been opened. That's also Cians base so it will be interesting to see how they vote.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,089 ✭✭✭Lavinia

so far so good

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,407 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

Could have Bruton and Mitchell in on first count. The battleground definitely looks like Healy/O'Callaghan.

I would say Healy will get in as people will give Green a preference before SD where they do not know the candidates.

lyons on 3% https://twitter.com/Cathal_Haughey/status/1226459535499505664 and all that about not forgetting abou them.

• Advertisement
Advertisement