Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Car registered as a bus!

Options
  • 10-05-2021 7:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 43

Just bought a car 2nd hand, got the registration docs thru.. And the car is classed as a bus (its a S350 so def not a bus)... Its tax is something ridiculous like 60 quid when I check online.
    As its the first time taxing in my name I need to go into the tax office.
    The motor tax office has made the mistake here, and has collected the lower tax off the previous owner for the past 4 years, is it incumbent on me to advise them and get the cars registration docs amended or what are the ramifications for me to continue to tax the car as it is.
    Thanks all

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,424 ✭✭✭✭elperello

Are you sure it's not an SPSV ?

• Registered Users Posts: 43 Catglee

elperello wrote: »
    Yes, def says bus

• Registered Users Posts: 81,467 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

If you check on motortax.ie does it give a rate for it? If you look on cartell.ie what is the vehicle listed as?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,879 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

It’s cheaper to tax a bus by far then a car.... wtf is that about ?

It’s a weird dumb country this sometimes.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,263 ✭✭✭greasepalm

Is it from India and can carry 40 people?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭Kopparberg Strawberry and Lime

Mercedes S350

It's obviously taxed as a SPSV which is a taxi/hackney or limousine.

No issue, fairly normal

• Registered Users Posts: 3,460 ✭✭✭vandriver

Mercedes S350

No issue, fairly normal

Out of the 3,600 limo plates in issue today ,2000 are listed as inactive.
    That's potentially a lot of fairly decent well looked after big cars for sale.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,152 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

Strumms wrote: »
    It’s cheaper to tax a bus by far then a car.... wtf is that about ?

It’s a weird dumb country this sometimes.
    Most countries tax public transport vehicles more cheaply than private vehicles. The reasons for this are obvious, if you give it a moment's thought.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,882 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

Yes to encourage people to register their S class as a bus obviously :)

• Registered Users Posts: 28,729 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Presumably though the OP can't continue to tax it at that rate unless he's actually working as a taxi/hackney driver?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,882 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

_Kaiser_ wrote: »
    Presumably though the OP can't continue to tax it at that rate unless he's actually working as a taxi/hackney driver?

Same as island tax its not valid after a change of ownership as far as I understand

• Registered Users Posts: 6,203 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

Peregrinus wrote: »
    Most countries tax public transport vehicles more cheaply than private vehicles. The reasons for this are obvious, if you give it a moment's thought.

I don't see why a motorhome or tractor should be cheaper to insure than a lot of bigger engined cars. Even my mam's 1.4 petrol automatic Opel Mokka cost more to tax than a Scania truck...

Whatever about a bus, taxis though? My old neighbor's had new enough 5 series, big Mercs or Audi's. Taxi drivers clearly aren't hurting.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,879 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Peregrinus wrote: »

Not quite.

A bus is a revenue generator.....

The owner / operator has more ability to pay then a car owner whose car is not generating a cent, it exists as a cost only.

Public transport vehicles are on the road for multiple more hours of the day, inducing wear and tear etc... so I’d simply expect them to pay their fair fûcking share, which they can, just don’t...

A motor tax is not meant to be a motorized vehicle deterrent fee..

• Registered Users Posts: 26,152 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

Strumms wrote: »
    Not quite.

A bus is a revenue generator.....

The owner / operator has more ability to pay then a car owner whose car is not generating a cent, it exists as a cost only.

Public transport vehicles are on the road for multiple more hours of the day, inducing wear and tear etc... so I’d simply expect them to pay their fair fûcking share, which they can, just don’t...

A motor tax is not meant to be a motorized vehicle deterrent fee..
    Ability to pay is not the issue. If it were, the tax would be graduated according to the income or wealth of the owner, not to the characteristics of the vehicle.

Motor tax is generally an attempt to recover, from road users, at least a part of the (very considerable) cost of providing and maintaining the roads. It's broadly graduated according to the amount of wear and tear a vehicle causes to the road, and to other demands associated with the vehicle.

On that view, of course, a bus should be taxed much more heavily than a car, since a bus weighs much more than a car. So why doesn't that happen? Because (the thinking is) a bus displaces car journeys. The wear and tear on the road caused by the bus is dramatically less than the wear and tear that would be cause if all the journeys made in the bus were made in private cars. Plus, the bus has much less requirement for parking associated with the journeys it makes, and the provision of on-road parking for private vehicle is a significant expense.

This is less true of the taxi, but still somewhat true. Hence the generally favourable motor tax rates for PSVs in Ireland and elsewhere.

Motor tax is not, as you say, meant to be a motorized vehicle deterrent fee. But in the developed world it is mostly tailored to the public policy objective of disincentivising private motoring and encouraging public transport.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,960 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Perhaps the previous owner was one of those rural types who weirdly refer to a car as 'bus'.

'She's a lovely bus'
    'He got a new bus'
    'That's some bus he has'

• Registered Users Posts: 4,426 ✭✭✭maestroamado

Catglee wrote: »
    Just bought a car 2nd hand, got the registration docs thru.. And the car is classed as a bus (its a S350 so def not a bus)... Its tax is something ridiculous like 60 quid when I check online.
    As its the first time taxing in my name I need to go into the tax office.
    The motor tax office has made the mistake here, and has collected the lower tax off the previous owner for the past 4 years, is it incumbent on me to advise them and get the cars registration docs amended or what are the ramifications for me to continue to tax the car as it is.
    Thanks all

It is what it is just tax it on-line.
    On the log doc what is its discription...

• Registered Users Posts: 21,544 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

It is what it is just tax it on-line.
    On the log doc what is its discription...

You can't tax it online for the first disc issue after change of ownership

Unless OP can go to the tax office with SPSV license and insurance, they wont be able to tax the car at all and will instead have to submit a change of particulars

Perhaps the previous owner was one of those rural types who weirdly refer to a car as 'bus'.

'She's a lovely bus'
    'He got a new bus'
    'That's some bus he has'

I always took that to mean a car that's big or has presence myself.

ELM327 wrote: »

Unless OP can go to the tax office with SPSV license and insurance, they wont be able to tax the car at all and will instead have to submit a change of particulars

Yes you can. I did it last week. You don't even need to have physically received the VRC.

Once the VRC has updated at the back-end (check the "change of ownership" section on the motor tax site), go online and request a new PIN, enter the details (address etc) that will now match the VRC and a PIN will be sent to your email.

Login and pay as normal.

HOWEVER, given that the OP will not be using the car as a taxi/limo there are definite issues here around the rates and probably insurance. If he gets stopped or has an accident it could cost him a lot more than the proper tax rate.

_Kaiser_ wrote: »
    Yes you can. I did it last week. You don't even need to have physically received the VRC.

Once the VRC has updated at the back-end (check the "change of ownership" section on the motor tax site), go online and request a new PIN, enter the details (address etc) that will now match the VRC and a PIN will be sent to your email.

Login and pay as normal.

HOWEVER, given that the OP will not be using the car as a taxi/limo there are definite issues here around the rates and probably insurance. If he gets stopped or has an accident it could cost him a lot more than the proper tax rate.
    You can't as I've literally tried to do the same thing and it states this vehicle is not eligible for online motor taxing and directs you to a RF100a form

It doesnt work for SPSV, Goods vehicles etc.
    What you describe only works for private vehicles

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,442 ✭✭✭monkeybutter

FIIIIIIIIGHT!!!!!

ELM327 wrote: »

Well the last 3 vehicles i taxed for the first time i did on-line.
    I notice down the page said different for bus etc...

There's no fight.

552798.JPG

Well the last 3 vehicles i taxed for the first time i did on-line.
    I notice down the page said different for bus etc...
    Absolutely.
    It's only for private vehicles, i've done the same myself.

Other classes (SPSV, Island, Limo, Goods, etc) cannot be taxed online at the change of ownership and must be taxed using RF100A via post or in person at the (currently closed) tax offices

• Registered Users Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Brian Scan

'She's a lovely bus'
    'He got a new bus'
    'That's some bus he has'

Referring to a car as "she" is much weirder than referring to it as a "bus".

Brian Scan wrote: »
    Referring to a car as "she" is much weirder than referring to it as a "bus".

Do you know what a guitarra is...
    Its not a car or a bus but its???
    Have a guess..

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,559 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Mercedes S350

No issue, fairly normal

Is a limo/SPSV motor tax not €90?

Gumbo wrote: »
    Is a limo/SPSV motor tax not €90?

Limo,taxi,hackney and school bus are all €95

• Registered Users Posts: 3,609 ✭✭✭Lord Nikon

elperello wrote: »

SPSV motortax is €94.

• Advertisement

Lord Nikon wrote: »
    SPSV motortax is €94.

If you just look one post up,you'll get the correct information.

Advertisement