Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

EU draft directive to be presented on wed 19th Dec

Options
18910111214»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,096 ✭✭✭Mr. Chrome

Ffs, a gateway drug to something that is 100% legal and can be bought in every shop and pub in the land.
    I wouldnt like to see my kid vaping, but if it was a choice between vaping and smoking I know which one I would prefer!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 654 ✭✭✭Hunter Mahan

Looks like the UK will be allowed to use e-cigs until at least 2016, when they will then be classed as medicines and probably withdrawn from the market for clinical trials. Once complete they will be sold in pharmacies only.

BBC Reports:
    He told a news conference: "We can't recommend these products because their safety and quality is not assured, and so we will recommend that people don't use them."

The MHRA had decided not to ban the products entirely but to work towards a position where they are licensed, he added.

"Smoking is the riskiest thing you can do - we want to enable people to cut down and quit - we don't think a ban is a proportionate action."

The health campaign body, Action on Smoking and Health (ASH), said the action will ensure promotion to children or non-smokers is prohibited.

Deborah Arnott, chief executive of ASH, said: "MHRA regulation can ensure that adult smokers can continue to be able to buy e-cigarettes as easily as tobacco, but promotion to children or non-smokers will be prohibited."

The British Medical Association, which has called for stronger regulation of e-cigarettes, says health professionals should encourage their patients to use a regulated and licensed nicotine replacement therapy (such as patches or gum) to help quit smoking.

It says health professional may advise patients that while e-cigarettes are unregulated and their safety cannot be assured, they are likely to be a lower risk option than continuing to smoke.

Research suggests around 1.3m smokers and ex-smokers use e-cigarettes. Once licensed, they will remain on sale over-the-counter.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,255 ✭✭✭tommy2bad

Again this isn't about health but getting a fee from manufactures and users.
    It's about the money.
    All NRT need a medicinal licence per produce and flavor, costs about 200,000, work out how much they hope to get from this shake down.

Its on sky news, MHRA reckon "nicotine levels can be considerably different from the level stated on the label and the amount per product differed from batch to batch".
    I would love to know what juice or pre-filled carts they were testing.
    Looks like the price of juice is gonna go trough the roof.

Yeah I recon about 20 quid per 10ml. Of course you wont be able to actualy buy 10ml as like any medicine their will be restrictions on volume due to the danger of overdose.
    Anyway by the time this becomes law the cig tobacco companies will have bought up all the ecig companies as they are the only ones with the money to complete a license application so pre filled cartos in menthol and 'original' flavor at cig prices. Effectively ecigs will become alternatives to smoking for the tobacco companies not the consumer who can choose to smoke a B&H or vape a B&H or not smoke at all with the help of patches and gums and such. Better than quit or die but still market protection by gov regulation.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 915 ✭✭✭heliguyheliguy

Cloud9Vaping's response to the MHRA announcement
    We are currently being bombarded by emails from customers who have seen and heard the news reports today regarding the MHRA's announcement about their intention to regulate electronic cigarettes as medicines.
    Customers are asking whether we will obtain a medicine licence or will we close.

The answer is neither!

Forcing our products to be licenced as medicinal devices is incorrect application of the medicines licensing framework, unethical and most likely illegal, given that traditional cigarettes are allowed to be sold freely to over 18s, and we are not making any claims as to a curative or medicinal effect or treatment for any disease.
    The MHRA decision will be challenged, we're not going anywhere, and will not be applying for a medicinal licence for any of our recreational products.

More from Cloud9Vaping

This is very worrying for many vapers, particularly those who aren't as well informed as forum members, because it's being reported all over the news as if the regulations have already come in, and many people are understandably concerned about the availability of their favourite products.
    I urge everyone to spread the word, that whilst it's an utterly nonsensical proposal, it should still be considered a real and valid threat, and that contacts to MPs, MEPs, and any and all official people should still be written to, and the pressure on them to look at the actual facts, maintained.
    I would also urge consumers to reconsider shopping anywhere that doesn't correctly apply the current rules and regulations as they stand right now. We don't have a leg to stand on as an industry if we're banging on about how the current General product safety regulations and all other current safety laws and regs are sufficient if large portions of the industry choose to ignore them, and consumers still continue to buy products on this basis.

They're urging people to buy off vendors that follow current rules and regulations. Thing is.. I didnt know there were any rules and regulations in the ecig industry, besides maybe a few warnings about not selling to minors, which is impossible to regulate with internet sales.

• Registered Users Posts: 351 ✭✭Vaperus

Mr. Chrome wrote: »
    They're urging people to buy off vendors that follow current rules and regulations. Thing is.. I didnt know there were any rules and regulations in the ecig industry, besides maybe a few warnings about not selling to minors, which is impossible to regulate with internet sales.

Yes there are rules and regulations but not enforced correct and detailed labelling, testing certs for hardware, liquid testing plus the selling to over 18's etc There's a whole bunch

Vaperus wrote: »
    Yes there are rules and regulations but not enforced correct and detailed labelling, testing certs for hardware, liquid testing plus the selling to over 18's etc There's a whole bunch

Im only 12 ;-)
    Only jokin, dont close my account!!

• Advertisement

I think they are more industry standards for hazardous liquids.. safe containers clear labeling that includes visual and tactile alerts.
    The labeling should display the contents accurately and the source of the product.

I don't know of any irish vendor doing this, but i'm sure they are. :)

Edit: These rules are based around the needs of emergency response teams and the need to act quickly with as much information as possible in the event of an emergency.

• Registered Users Posts: 267 ✭✭redkid

I think they are more industry standards for hazardous liquids.. safe containers clear labeling that includes visual and tactile alerts.
    The labeling should display the contents accurately and the source of the product.

I don't know of any irish vendor doing this, but i'm sure they are. :)

Edit: These rules are based around the needs of emergency response teams and the need to act quickly with as much information as possible in the event of an emergency.

Wingnuts new containers include visual and tactile alerts

I posted this on ECF and it's worth repeating here for those who don't frequent Sissyland, good an all as it is.
    (Yes I'm modest :D )

OK lets get this straight, from 2016 only medicinal licensed ecigs will be allowed on the market. Seems fair at least it's a level playing field.
    No wait, they stated that no current product meets the standard. So then all the ecigs we are now using will be removed 21 Jan 2016.
    They could in the meantime apply for a license though and if they are sufficiently safe and efficacious, could gain a license.
    Bearing in mind that this is a medicine license, what dose efficacious mean? Well they cite varying nicotine levels and variation between devices. Presumably then their version of efficacious means less varity in devices as consistency in delivery of nicotine dose is part of their standards."The products won’t be assessed for how effective they are in helping people quit," Mean said. So no testing for effectiveness as a quit aid
    3 years time and the market will have grown enough for the few licensed products to clean up on their not inconsiderable investment. No wonder Nicolites, the only license applicant so far released this http://www.thedrum.com/news/2013/06/13/nicolites-welcomes-decision-classify-e-cigarettes-medicine-and-expects-no-change

Make no mistake this is a ban and a snatch and grab by big tobacco on the market as it now exists. End result single unit disposable ecigs in menthol and orignal flavors only. They will be matt white, blue or grey and come in a big box with a sheet of small print included, retailing at 15 to 20 pounds initially, dropping to 20 cigarettes equivalent pricing later after they have established their good intentions not to market to children and non smokers.
    Oh and expect public use bans and sin taxes, remember that these are not encouraging you to quit as a good citizen should.

So fumming mad at both the incompetence and hypocrisy of the MHRA .

Remember that we usually take English law and put a green frock with shiny harp emblazoned buttons on it and call it Irish law.

tommy2bad wrote: »
    I posted this on ECF and it's worth repeating here for those who don't frequent Sissyland, good an all as it is.
    (Yes I'm modest :D )

OK lets get this straight, from 2016 only medicinal licensed ecigs will be allowed on the market. Seems fair at least it's a level playing field.
    No wait, they stated that no current product meets the standard. So then all the ecigs we are now using will be removed 21 Jan 2016.
    They could in the meantime apply for a license though and if they are sufficiently safe and efficacious, could gain a license.
    Bearing in mind that this is a medicine license, what dose efficacious mean? Well they cite varying nicotine levels and variation between devices. Presumably then their version of efficacious means less varity in devices as consistency in delivery of nicotine dose is part of their standards."The products won’t be assessed for how effective they are in helping people quit," Mean said. So no testing for effectiveness as a quit aid
    3 years time and the market will have grown enough for the few licensed products to clean up on their not inconsiderable investment. No wonder Nicolites, the only license applicant so far released this http://www.thedrum.com/news/2013/06/13/nicolites-welcomes-decision-classify-e-cigarettes-medicine-and-expects-no-change

Make no mistake this is a ban and a snatch and grab by big tobacco on the market as it now exists. End result single unit disposable ecigs in menthol and orignal flavors only. They will be matt white, blue or grey and come in a big box with a sheet of small print included, retailing at 15 to 20 pounds initially, dropping to 20 cigarettes equivalent pricing later after they have established their good intentions not to market to children and non smokers.
    Oh and expect public use bans and sin taxes, remember that these are not encouraging you to quit as a good citizen should.

So fumming mad at both the incompetence and hypocrisy of the MHRA .

Remember that we usually take English law and put a green frock with shiny harp emblazoned buttons on it and call it Irish law.

Pretty sure its a proposal, so not a done deal yet. All the same we should all be reacting to oppose it.

• Registered Users Posts: 351 ✭✭Vaperus

Not just liquids
    you should also have CE and RoHS test certificates

Pretty sure its a proposal, so not a done deal yet. All the same we should all be reacting to oppose it.

Oh yeah, it's a proposal put forward to infulence the EU tpd so the dirty work will be done for them but it gives us some idea of what the pharmaceutical industry (thats what the mrha is, a regulator funded by pharma and staffed by pharma insiders) would like as the end game.
    Here in Ireland we don't proactive act on things like this unless Joe Duffer starts it but you can be sure the pharma lobby group are already 'bringing to attention' the danger of an unregulated market.

• Registered Users Posts: 267 ✭✭redkid

The problem with the current proposals is well documented, the regulators simply don't have a clue what they are trying to regulate! There needs to be much more empirical research regardless of the actual results firstly because it's needed but hopefully to do away with the scaremongering that is slowley gathering pace by the bigger industries. Another problem is the market as it is is in no way big enough to take on the fight against it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,476 ✭✭✭Samba

Get ready to start hearing the same echoes from each EU state...

Just replace the word regulated with taxed in this article.
    A health report commissioned by the French government has recommended that electronic cigarettes should not be banned, but the product and its distribution should be regulated in much the same way as normal cigarettes.

Source

Petition against recent proposals here

I'm signing every petition I find on the net to oppose this nonsense.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,796 ✭✭✭Calibos

If they tax e-cigs to the hilt, I want coffee taxed to the hilt

• Registered Users Posts: 959 ✭✭✭ZeRoY

So here's the latest for Ireland this time...

http://www.thejournal.ie/reilly-electronic-cigarettes-ireland-957646-Jun2013/

Time to send emails/letters again!

The comment on in flights e-cigs is showing the level of ignorance the Minister has I think its fair to say (In flights products sold are smokeless inhalers...)

• Advertisement

Promoted on flights?? FFS we're the people worried about trying to get our gear on flights and wondering how we can have a crafty stealth vape onboard.
    He hasnt a ****in clue.
    OK, who do we need to start writing to? Reilly Cnutface himself? Our local TDs? Both?
    Should we do up a template letter or just say it like it is?
    This sh*t is really starting to get on my tits.
    Saw some of you put up good comments after the article, nice one lads ;-)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭was.deevey

OK, who do we need to start writing to? Reilly Cnutface himself? Our local TDs? Both?

A hitman ? :p

Reading this again I think Riley was doorstepped, he doesn't seem to have his thoughts together from the replies he gave.
    Still it's a headsup as to what he is thinking, though we knew that from his speech at the launch of the TPD.
    Now this is in our ball park, it's time to get in touch with TD as well as MEP's. Get your retaliation in first as the hurlers say.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,305 ✭✭✭Green Hornet

Interesting thread in AH.......

http://touch.boards.ie/thread/2056976556/1/#post85192267

Some very uneducated rubbish coming out there....

Interesting thread in AH.......

http://touch.boards.ie/thread/2056976556/1/#post85192267

Some very uneducated rubbish coming out there....

How can you read that ****e, about four posts of the most outrageous nonsense and I had to stop :mad: What makes people think their opinions are so important, more important than facts and more important than actually learning.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,305 ✭✭✭Green Hornet

That drunkmonkey guy has some issues with vaping I think its fair to say.......lot of built up rage about ecigs.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,674 ✭✭✭DirtyBollox

How can you read that ****e, about four posts of the most outrageous nonsense and I had to stop :mad: What makes people think their opinions are so important, more important than facts and more important than actually learning.

o'reilly, if someone leads sheep will follow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,476 ✭✭✭Samba

Sure, contact your local TD and indeed Mr. Dr. O'Reilly (oh the irony), but I think the best way to make waves about these proposed bans is to start drumming up support from opposition parties.

I think just about anything said at this point will almost certainly fall on deaf ears, we need more noise and more people questioning these hugely ignorant and generic statements coming out of politicians in power across Europe.

Advertisement