Post Reply  
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
29-11-2020, 21:55   #61
kadman
Moderator
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 4,467
Quote:
Originally Posted by magicbastarder View Post
lidl have lathes in stock again.

i learned of a new way of holding the tool, simply from the packaging.



i think that is a 'i'm going to stand as physically far away from this POS machine as i can' grip.
oooh, run forrest.

I remember tackling Lidl or Alldi, cant remember which, over a similar safety aspect pictured in a catalogue.

I pointed out a long list of accidents waiting to happen, should some new tool owner adopt a working stance same as their catalogue.

Their excuse was, " its only a model, and the machine was not turned on ". I blew a major gasket and suggested that selling woodworking machines requires a picture of a competent user , using it.

My protestations fell on deaf ears, maybe an e mail to Health and safety in Ireland. Mmmmm

Last edited by kadman; 30-11-2020 at 09:26.
kadman is offline  
Thanks from:
Advertisement
29-11-2020, 22:21   #62
JayZeus
Registered User
 
JayZeus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Posts: 3,475
I've reached the point where I've just about given up pointing out how crap these machines are.

I'm of the firm opinion that people who buy them are ignorant and/or don't care that they're being almost entirely wasteful, buying chinese made crap that won't be enjoyable or safe to use and that will end up in landfill when they get sick of tripping over it on the shed or garage floor.

Let's face it, if you can't afford it or won't wait until you save an extra €100 to buy something with some chance of being useful, you should probably ask yourself if you need machines for woodworking in the first place.

Does that make me a snob? Well, no, it doesn't. It makes me a critically thinking adult with the ability to recognise that a lot of the shi*te being peddled by these chains is being targeted at impulse buyers who have no real reason or need to be buying them. Crap is crap. Most people don't need more crap, especially such junky chinese made tat.
JayZeus is offline  
29-11-2020, 23:05   #63
magicbastarder
Moderator
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 36,208
I watched a video of someone using one. You could see the tailstock bend as they tightened it up. Sounds like a bag of gravel too. It's a weird one, who would buy one? It's a very strange impulse purchase.
magicbastarder is offline  
30-11-2020, 09:32   #64
kadman
Moderator
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 4,467
Impulse purchase of this type of machine starts off with the thought " Jayney I am getting

a woodturning lathe for little or nothing, I best get one quick before they are all gone"

by diyer's.

I would buy some aldi tools for one off uses, and then resign them to a shelf probably forever,

I think if you regard these tools in that manner then that makes you buy the better branded tools for prolonged use.
kadman is offline  
01-12-2020, 16:37   #65
JayZeus
Registered User
 
JayZeus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Posts: 3,475
In other news, I got a serious bargain myself this week on a power tool.

Festool Rotex RO 150 FEQ Plus kit with systainer and about 20 various Festool sanding disks, in dusty but otherwise perfect condition...

€160 from an auction site. Came with original receipt, manual, copy of the (long expired) completed warranty paperwork etc.

Bargain. Bargain. Bargain. What a cracker of a tool.
JayZeus is offline  
(2) thanks from:
Advertisement
01-12-2020, 19:33   #66
kadman
Moderator
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 4,467
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayZeus View Post
In other news, I got a serious bargain myself this week on a power tool.

Festool Rotex RO 150 FEQ Plus kit with systainer and about 20 various Festool sanding disks, in dusty but otherwise perfect condition...

€160 from an auction site. Came with original receipt, manual, copy of the (long expired) completed warranty paperwork etc.

Bargain. Bargain. Bargain. What a cracker of a tool.

Thats a better result than any aldi/lidl giveaway
kadman is offline  
01-12-2020, 20:15   #67
the_pen_turner
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Posts: 6,653
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayZeus View Post
In other news, I got a serious bargain myself this week on a power tool.

Festool Rotex RO 150 FEQ Plus kit with systainer and about 20 various Festool sanding disks, in dusty but otherwise perfect condition...

€160 from an auction site. Came with original receipt, manual, copy of the (long expired) completed warranty paperwork etc.

Bargain. Bargain. Bargain. What a cracker of a tool.
amazing arnt they. serious power. have you a vacuum with variable speed. too much suck and that beast gets very rowdy
the_pen_turner is online now  
01-12-2020, 20:17   #68
JayZeus
Registered User
 
JayZeus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Posts: 3,475
Quote:
Originally Posted by the_pen_turner View Post
amazing arnt they. serious power. have you a vacuum with variable speed. too much suck and that beast gets very rowdy
Yeah, I splurged on a new CTL Midi I and the bluetooth remote in the summer.
JayZeus is offline  
01-12-2020, 20:40   #69
the_pen_turner
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Posts: 6,653
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayZeus View Post
Yeah, I splurged on a new CTL Midi I and the bluetooth remote in the summer.
oooo bluetooth remote you posh git. i love one
the_pen_turner is online now  
Advertisement
01-12-2020, 21:42   #70
JayZeus
Registered User
 
JayZeus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Posts: 3,475
It's the only Festool tool I've bought brand new. I had the original version of the Midi and after a particularly frustrating weekend of assembly where I was drilling a pilot hole, firing up the vac to clear the hole, then driving a screw and rinse and repeating all weekend.. Well, I just gave in to temptation and bought the new model.

The great thing about Festool gear is that if you keep it clean it will lose almost no value. I sold a 15 year old TS55 in good clean condition for €380. It cost me €400 5 years ago. I replaced it with the latest REBQ version which cost me €430 used for a 3 year old model, but spotless, with a new 1400mm track. I could use it well, mind it and sell it in a couple of years for about the same as I paid for it. They're expensive to buy, but not at all expensive to own.

Even the original Midi sold for €400 and it was 7 years old. I paid €270 and gave it a clean, new filter and bags. I got the Midi I for €490 and another €50 for the remote. No brainer.
JayZeus is offline  
Thanks from:
01-12-2020, 21:46   #71
the_pen_turner
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Posts: 6,653
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayZeus View Post
It's the only Festool tool I've bought brand new. I had the original version of the Midi and after a particularly frustrating weekend of assembly where I was drilling a pilot hole, firing up the vac to clear the hole, then driving a screw and rinse and repeating all weekend.. Well, I just gave in to temptation and bought the new model.

The great thing about Festool gear is that if you keep it clean it will lose almost no value. I sold a 15 year old TS55 in good clean condition for €380. It cost me €400 5 years ago. I replaced it with the latest REBQ version which cost me €430 used for a 3 year old model, but spotless, with a new 1400mm track. I could use it well, mind it and sell it in a couple of years for about the same as I paid for it. They're expensive to buy, but not at all expensive to own.

Even the original Midi sold for €400 and it was 7 years old. I paid €270 and gave it a clean, new filter and bags. I got the Midi I for €490 and another €50 for the remote. No brainer.
im tempted to sell my midi and ct22 and buy a 26 and new midi just for the remote
the_pen_turner is online now  
01-12-2020, 21:55   #72
JayZeus
Registered User
 
JayZeus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Posts: 3,475
Quote:
Originally Posted by the_pen_turner View Post
im tempted to sell my midi and ct22 and buy a 26 and new midi just for the remote
I don't have the space for a larger CT myself, although I'd love to have the capacity alright.

I have a CTL-SYS which is like new and cost me next to nothing. I bought a pair from a kitchen fitter who just couldn't deal with the small size. I paid €280 for the pair and sold one for €230. The one I kept is basically like new as he'd bought two and realised quickly it was of limited use to him. He used the other for quick messy jobs so it was caked in dirt and plaster dust. He gave me a new filter and bags though, which was handy. Quick clean-up and it was sold an hour after advertised.

Anyway, I like this gear. It just works. And the dust collection has been a complete game changer for me. I find the CTL-SYS very useful to just leave it set up under the MFT-3 with the TS55 connected to it. Bags are cheap and quick to swap, making no mess. If they release a BT enabled version of that, I might be tempted to 'upgrade' it too, for the convenience.

Another smashing upgrade was fitting hosewrap with a Plug-It cable run with the original hose. Hassle and snag free and well worth the €15 or so from ebay.
JayZeus is offline  
01-12-2020, 22:04   #73
the_pen_turner
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Posts: 6,653
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayZeus View Post
I don't have the space for a larger CT myself, although I'd love to have the capacity alright.

I have a CTL-SYS which is like new and cost me next to nothing. I bought a pair from a kitchen fitter who just couldn't deal with the small size. I paid €280 for the pair and sold one for €230. The one I kept is basically like new as he'd bought two and realised quickly it was of limited use to him. He used the other for quick messy jobs so it was caked in dirt and plaster dust. He gave me a new filter and bags though, which was handy. Quick clean-up and it was sold an hour after advertised.

Anyway, I like this gear. It just works. And the dust collection has been a complete game changer for me. I find the CTL-SYS very useful to just leave it set up under the MFT-3 with the TS55 connected to it. Bags are cheap and quick to swap, making no mess. If they release a BT enabled version of that, I might be tempted to 'upgrade' it too, for the convenience.

Another smashing upgrade was fitting hosewrap with a Plug-It cable run with the original hose. Hassle and snag free and well worth the €15 or so from ebay.
i have a plug it hose. its great
i was going to get the sys vac but thought it would be too small. i have a dewalt 18v little one for small jobs.
the_pen_turner is online now  
01-12-2020, 23:51   #74
iamtony
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 3,754
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayZeus View Post
It's the only Festool tool I've bought brand new. I had the original version of the Midi and after a particularly frustrating weekend of assembly where I was drilling a pilot hole, firing up the vac to clear the hole, then driving a screw and rinse and repeating all weekend.. Well, I just gave in to temptation and bought the new model.

The great thing about Festool gear is that if you keep it clean it will lose almost no value. I sold a 15 year old TS55 in good clean condition for €380. It cost me €400 5 years ago. I replaced it with the latest REBQ version which cost me €430 used for a 3 year old model, but spotless, with a new 1400mm track. I could use it well, mind it and sell it in a couple of years for about the same as I paid for it. They're expensive to buy, but not at all expensive to own.

Even the original Midi sold for €400 and it was 7 years old. I paid €270 and gave it a clean, new filter and bags. I got the Midi I for €490 and another €50 for the remote. No brainer.
was it on sale when you bought it or something? I just can't understand how someone would buy something for 20 quid less that retail with warranty.
iamtony is offline  
02-12-2020, 06:07   #75
JayZeus
Registered User
 
JayZeus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Posts: 3,475
Quote:
Originally Posted by iamtony View Post
was it on sale when you bought it or something? I just can't understand how someone would buy something for 20 quid less that retail with warranty.
The TS55? I paid €400 for it in barely used condition. Sold it for €380 in lightly used condition.

A new TS55 with all the bits and pieces and a 1400mm track will set you back around €575-625.
JayZeus is offline  
Post Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Remove Text Formatting
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text
 
Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search



Share Tweet