Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Provincial Past

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,729 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Csalem wrote: »
    1984 sees KC 139 loading up with passengers at Drogheda bus station before departing on a service to Laytown. This bus along with KC 137 and KC 138 were delivered new to Drogheda but were only there for a short while before more KRs arrived. The KCs subsequently moved to Clontarf Garage in Dublin. KC 139 was withdrawn by Dublin Bus around 2000, and was one of the last KCs to operate out of Clontarf.
    Currently there are two routes between Drogheda and Laytown numbered the D1 and D2. These routes replaced the 190 between these two points. 12/10/1984

I remember KC138 being a regular feature on the 27 and it had awful brakes! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

_Kaiser_ wrote: »
    I remember KC138 being a regular feature on the 27 and it had awful brakes! :D

They all had awful brakes...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭Csalem

1999 sees Bus EIreann KC 8 in Galway on a service on route 2 to Knocknacarra. The bus was one of 202 members of the class built for CIE by GAC / Bombardier in the early 1980s. Dublin Bus withdrew all of theirs by 2000 while Bus Eireann's continued on into 2001.
    The bus is in an all-over ad for Heineken. This was part of a national campaign with buses in Cork and Dublin also wrapped for it.
    In 2020 most routes to Knocknacarra are operated by City Direct but the 402 operated by Bus Eireann still runs from Seacrest / Knocknacarra to Merlin Park. Eyre Square, 26/10/1999

50533926432_3b3cc9e113_c.jpgProvincial Past (38) by Cathal O'Brien, on Flickr

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,553 ✭✭✭Cork Trucker

The ad looked well on the KC, DA9 in Cork had the livery as well, the bus caught fire in 1997 from what I remember, unsure if it had the ad prior to that happening.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,408 ✭✭✭KevRossi

A double decker from Limerick to Shannon Airport must have been a slow service, where city buses not limited to 40 MPH back then?

Also: What happened to the double deckers in Limerick city? I have vague recollection of an accident or something (might be completely wrong!), and they all disappeared for a long time (only returned in the past decade or so). For the '90s I only recall KC's and a lone Volvo doing city services in Limerick, until the low floor buses appeared.

EDIT: According to a Limerick Leader article, there were no double deckers in Limerick between 1984 and 2016.

1987-92 I was in college in Limerick - They regularly ran a double decker from Roscrea to Limerick on a Sunday night to cater for large amounts of returning students as Roscrea was a bus hub in the day. There would be a couple of Expressway single deckers and there'd be a scramble to get on them as they were way faster and way more comfortable than the double decker. Some people used to get travel sick sitting upstairs.

They had the occasional double decker from Limerick City Centre out to the university back then, the bus couldn't fit under the bridge on the Ballysimon Rd so it went via St Patricks Road instead. I was on it a couple of times when the driver forgot, so he had to be reminded somewhere along Childers Rd that he wasn't going to make it.

Great reading in the thread, I remember a fair few of the buses from the 70's, 80's and 90's. You'd be dreading certain buses showing up as they were terrible. :) Often took the Supabus as well. Some great memories on them too.

• Advertisement

November 1980 sees D 412 on a city service in Waterford. This bus was delivered new to CIE in 1972. It operated out of Donnybrook Garage in Dublin until it transferred south in 1977 (Originally D 413 had been sent south but 412 replaced it. D 413 went on to have a long career in the Dublin Bus tour fleet). D 412 was withdrawn in 1983, and therefore never operated under Bus Eireann, nor Dublin Bus. 11/1980

50560118487_3533d818cb_c.jpgProvincial Past (39) by Cathal O'Brien, on Flickr

Still think they should have kept the old girl for ghost bus tours.

Covid has hit everything so hard and I hope to see them tours come back, well recommend doing the ghost bus tour as it was very well done.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,770 ✭✭✭GT89

Still think they should have kept the old girl for ghost bus tours.

Covid has hit everything so hard and I hope to see them tours come back, well recommend doing the ghost bus tour as it was very well done.

Yeah has more of a genuinely creepy feel using an ancient bus.

2001 sees us revisiting an old friend. KR 109 is seen parked in Callan during its later career as a school bus. Previously we had seen it on the city services in Waterford in Provincial Past (37), but at the turn of the new century the bus transferred from the regular fleet to the school fleet. As part of this transfer it became KS 109, to reflect its new role. The bus ended its days around 2007 in Dungarvan. 14/11/2001

50584269881_87efcb5153_c.jpgProvincial Past (40) by Cathal O'Brien, on Flickr

2002 sees PL 106 arriving into Drogheda bus station with a service on route 189. This was a member of the third fleet of PLs operated by CIE / Bus Eireann. The first group were delivered in the 1960s. The second PL fleet were three secondhand buses that entered service in 1990 but built in 1984. PL 61 to 124 were again mostly (if not all) secondhand buses too dating from 1990/91, coming from Shearings Travel. In its former life PL 106 was 837 with Shearings. The PL classes were Leyland Tiger chassis with Plaxton Paramount bodies. Most of the final two fleets of PLs ended up on school duties and were all withdrawn by 2010.
    Route 189 currently runs from Drogheda to Clogher and Grangebellew. 16/11/2002

50610803247_38dbb00ac1_c.jpgProvincial Past (41) by Cathal O'Brien, on Flickr

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,042 ✭✭✭Vic_08

2002 sees PL 106 arriving into Drogheda bus station with a service on route 189. This was a member of the third fleet of PLs operated by CIE / Bus Eireann. The first group were delivered in the 1960s. The second PL fleet were three secondhand buses that entered service in 1990 but built in 1984. PL 61 to 124 were again mostly (if not all) secondhand buses too dating from 1990/91, coming from Shearings Travel. In its former life PL 106 was 837 with Shearings. The PL classes were Leyland Tiger chassis with Plaxton Paramount bodies. Most of the final two fleets of PLs ended up on school duties and were all withdrawn by 2010.
    Route 189 currently runs from Drogheda to Clogher and Grangebellew. 16/11/2002

50610803247_38dbb00ac1_c.jpgProvincial Past (41) by Cathal O'Brien, on Flickr

The ex-Shearings Paramounts started from PL67.

PL61-66 were Leyland Tiger Paramounts that were new to Bus Eireann in 1991. These had the same taller Paramount 3500 bodies as the PD class also bought in 90-92 with some detail differences. PL61-66 weren't factory orders from BE though, they were dealer stock bought as completed. They arrived in plain white and spent some time in service before getting full livery, they also came with different interior colours than standard BE spec, no destination equipment and had full width windscreens while the PD class had split screens.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/darren_hall/12641822634/in/photolist-jCg4pP-i74X8m-kg7Drd-85NHFu

https://www.flickr.com/photos/darren_hall/11893610363/in/photolist-qmtE5p-j7ZRZD-axKdt1-daWMZQ-daWveJ-doepQE

• Registered Users Posts: 6,641 ✭✭✭zilog_jones

For this Provincial Past we are going back to Limerick in 1996 and the unique VNC 1. The bus was a demonstrator that initially went to Dublin. The bus was a Northern Counties Paladin on a Volvo B10M chassis. Arriving in 1993, it was initially trialled with Dublin Bus before moving to Bus Eireann in Limerick. It was withdrawn in the early-2000s. 23/05/1996

49934868696_09a7b49ee3_c.jpgProvincial Past (18) by Cathal O'Brien, on Flickr

I remember this one was still in service until at least 2004 or so, it often ran out to UL on the 302 around then. The rear door had been blocked up at some stage with some unsightly sheet metal. It was an unusual sight at the time as it was the only "old" city bus in Limerick, everything else being Mercedes and Wrights(?) from around 2000.

That bus stop is outside Spaights, which was a small shopping centre on Henry Street, replaced by Harvey's Quay Dunnes in the early 2000s. I recall some of the bus drivers still called the stop "Spaights" long after it was demolished.

1984 sees WVH 21 (and not WVH 9) parked at the station in Waterford. This bus started life in 1963 as WT 10, a Leyland Worldmaster. In 1970 its original body was removed and VanHool built new bodies on the Leyland chassis. The bus was withdrawn in December 1985. 29/11/1984

50638694957_6869a3da56_c.jpgProvincial Past (42) by Cathal O'Brien, on Flickr

1984 sees WVH 21 (and not WVH 9) parked at the station in Waterford. This bus started life in 1963 as WT 10, a Leyland Worldmaster. In 1970 its original body was removed and VanHool built new bodies on the Leyland chassis. The bus was withdrawn in December 1985. 29/11/1984

50638694957_6869a3da56_c.jpgProvincial Past (42) by Cathal O'Brien, on Flickr

Had it rotted that bad?
    Amazing to think this was the best option to change body.

• Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭PreCocious

KevRossi wrote: »
    1987-92 I was in college in Limerick - They regularly ran a double decker from Roscrea to Limerick on a Sunday night to cater for large amounts of returning students as Roscrea was a bus hub in the day. There would be a couple of Expressway single deckers and there'd be a scramble to get on them as they were way faster and way more comfortable than the double decker. Some people used to get travel sick sitting upstairs.

They had the occasional double decker from Limerick City Centre out to the university back then, the bus couldn't fit under the bridge on the Ballysimon Rd so it went via St Patricks Road instead. I was on it a couple of times when the driver forgot, so he had to be reminded somewhere along Childers Rd that he wasn't going to make it.

Great reading in the thread, I remember a fair few of the buses from the 70's, 80's and 90's. You'd be dreading certain buses showing up as they were terrible. :) Often took the Supabus as well. Some great memories on them too.

I remember being on one of those services where the driver had to be reminded that he wasn't going to make it under the bridge in front of him. If i remember correctly it was the 2 that went from Clareview to/from NIHE via Ballysimon road and the 8 went to from Raheen. A regular occurrence was getting the last bus from the college, getting off in Roches Street and sprinting down to Spaights for the last Caherdavin bus which invariably left a few minutes early.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,641 ✭✭✭zilog_jones

PreCocious wrote: »
    If i remember correctly it was the 2 that went from Clareview to/from NIHE via Ballysimon road and the 8 went to from Raheen.

That was the same for the 302 and 308 when I was in college (mid-2000s), but they appear to have changed now. No double deckers by then, so no bridge problems :)

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,854 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Claim elsewhere on the net that the body was a custom job by Ogle Design -that was likely difficult to maintain if it was only sold to CIE in small numbers

• Registered Users Posts: 8,379 ✭✭✭cml387

PreCocious wrote: »
    I remember being on one of those services where the driver had to be reminded that he wasn't going to make it under the bridge in front of him. If i remember correctly it was the 2 that went from Clareview to/from NIHE via Ballysimon road and the 8 went to from Raheen. A regular occurrence was getting the last bus from the college, getting off in Roches Street and sprinting down to Spaights for the last Caherdavin bus which invariably left a few minutes early.

Ah memories. Particularly of waiting in William St on a Saturday evening for it and it never coming. It was a two mile walk out to Castletroy (and I walked more often than taking the bus).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39,625 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Brilliant thread Csalem. I saw all those bus types growing up as my dad worked in bus Eireann so I’d have been in all them when they were off the road in the depot. Btw those old school location scrolls come in handy for painting and those kind of jobs because they are white at the back and cover a huge area.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,729 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Something very American looking about it....
    Actually love the styling.

Same. It looks sleeker and longer than the replacement. Definitely a touch of the classic Greyhounds without the chrome too I think.

1984 sees C 183 parked between duties in Wexford. This bus was delivered new to Broadstone in 1966. It then spent a few months in Conyngham Road between 1977 and 1978 before returning to Broadstone. It moved for the last time in 1978 when it went to Wexford. In 1986 it joined the school fleet and was withdrawn by Bus Eireann in mid-1987. 30/11/1984

50665963731_d22cf52dc0_c.jpgProvincial Past (43) by Cathal O'Brien, on Flickr

1990 sees KE 34 at the depot in Cavan. This bus was delivered as a tour bus in 1981 to CIE. In the late 1980s it was repainted into the Expressway livery for Bus Eireann. The bus was withdrawn around 1996. 07/12/1990

50691939527_b51dce5734_c.jpgProvincial Past (44) by Cathal O'Brien, on Flickr

1992 sees Bus Eireann KR 163 at the bus station in Drogheda. The bus is in an all-over ad for Coca Cola, a livery it wore for over a decade (along with KR 162). This bus was delivered new to CIE in 1985, and was part of the 226 rural buses fleet built by GAC. Coca Cola has had a long history with Drogheda and still has offices there in 2020. 16/12/1992

50720183151_6c9d4edd0a_c.jpgProvincial Past (45) by Cathal O'Brien, on Flickr

• Registered Users Posts: 18,923 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

Something that I always wanted to know about AOA.

Especially in the pre-wrapping days, did Coca Cola pay a consistent fee for this or was it a once off payment for a period of use? Or even, was it inertia and laziness that left it on the bus for a decade? We all know how brutal they were at washing the buggers.

Something that I always wanted to know about AOA.

Especially in the pre-wrapping days, did Coca Cola pay a consistent fee for this or was it a once off payment for a period of use? Or even, was it inertia and laziness that left it on the bus for a decade? We all know how brutal they were at washing the buggers.

It would have been a contract such as paid per term.... Hand painted too....

Remember seeing them do the smarties bus and one for pees or carrots too.

Bad bobs is a memory too.

1986 (and not 1983) sees a selection of buses parked at the bus station in Cork. KD 49 was delivered new to Cork in 1981 and was withdrawn in the late 1990s. It was built at Shannon by Bombardier as part of an order for city double deckers and express buses. KR 134 was delivered new to CIE in 1985. It was built by GAC who had bought out Bombardier and took over the Shannon plant. This bus was withdrawn in the early-2000s. D 702 was delivered new to CIE in 1975. It spent all its career in Cork and was withdrawn in 1991. It was a Leyland Atlantean with Van Hool McArdle bodywork. The bus station in Cork is located off Parnell Place. 24/12/1986

50743896998_4e387313c6_c.jpgProvincial Past (46) by Cathal O'Brien, on Flickr

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,553 ✭✭✭Cork Trucker

How KR134 ended life

https://flic.kr/p/aoSknH

• Advertisement

1985 sees KC 141 and KC 133 at the bus station in Cork. KC 141 is working a service to Blarney, which is route 215 today. KC 133 is on a service to Butlerstown which is route 239 today. Both buses were delivered new to CIE in 1984. KC 133 was withdrawn from public service in 1999 and became a school bus in Longford. KC 141 was in service until at least 1998. 31/12/1985

50771702551_22c70f9bdf_c.jpgProvincial Past (47) by Cathal O'Brien, on Flickr

Advertisement