Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

nvidia Shield - Tips & tricks [Read post #1]

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,033 ✭✭✭✭Snake Plisken

New one has Dolby Vision as well if you are hooking it up to a 4K TV that supports that feature.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,940 ✭✭✭✭banie01

Lads, just to throw some further controversy on the 2017 v 2020 model debate....

The 2015 is actually the best ;) built in IR receiver FTW :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭Gooey Looey

banie01 wrote: »
    Lads, just to throw some further controversy on the 2017 v 2020 model debate....

The 2015 is actually the best ;) built in IR receiver FTW :P

Not if you have a Logitech harmony hub with Bluetooth ^_^

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭ilovesmybrick

I got annnoyed with my 2017 remote yesterday morning (I have been having some lag issues, but to be honest yesterdays problem was that I kept sitting on it and pausing the tv!) and on a whim ordered the 2019 remote. It arrived today, and while I like having actual buttons, the backlight is nice etc. etc. I'm really happy with the weight! It just feels nice to hold and feels a bit more substantial with the extra weight, even ignoring the obvious increase in bulk.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,940 ✭✭✭✭banie01

Not if you have a Logitech harmony hub with Bluetooth ^_^

I do, but that's for the sitting room.
    The other 2 shields run off harmony ones via IR for the mancave and the bedroom :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,708 ✭✭✭corks finest

kala85 wrote: »
    I think I must have the 2017 version and it's great.

What price is he looking for

Go for it mine is tops

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,035 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Weirdly - my 2017 Shield is indicating when I open the interactive Kimmy Schmidt episode in Netflix that it's "detecting a proxy or unblocker" whereas all other shows work fine.

Just tried on my 2019 Tube and working without issue.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,556 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

Barney224 wrote: »
    I have an opportunity to buy a Shield 2017 off my cousin, but would I better off waiting for the new pro version to be available? Is there much of a difference between the 2? I know there's some AI Upscaling feature, but anything else ?

I sold my 2017 shield and bought the Pro a few months ago.There is very little difference in them imo and if you are getting it for a good price then its well worth it.
    The new remote is a big upgrade and with button remapper that Netflix button is great.Ive it set for 3 functions now.Other than that I'm not sure the Pro is a big leap.

Hopefully your cousin gives you a good deal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

yabadabado wrote: »
    I sold my 2017 shield and bought the Pro a few months ago.There is very little difference in them imo and if you are getting it for a good price then its well worth it.
    The new remote is a big upgrade and with button remapper that Netflix button is great.Ive it set for 3 functions now.Other than that I'm not sure the Pro is a big leap.

Hopefully your cousin gives you a good deal.

Just be aware about the button remapper app, iPlayer wouldn't work for me with it installed for some reason, VPN on - didn't matter (VPN unlimited) as soon as I uninstalled remapper worked again fine.

Can't remember how I discovered the remapper was the issue, but it was.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,556 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

Iplayer was working for me ,I must take a look again but I'm near certain I had remapper in use and Iplayer was fine.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 538 ✭✭✭Catmologen

Same thing happened to me with button mapper and iPlayer.

Catmologen wrote: »
    Same thing happened to me with button mapper and iPlayer.

So I'm not going mad lol. Can't for the life of me remember how I figured out it was the remapper app that was causing the issue.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,675 ✭✭✭✭McDermotX

At least 7 of the Pro 2019 models in Amazon less than an hour or so back.

Texted someone who had been looking for one to let them know, but checked a couple mins later when he hadn't responded.......but a scalper picked them all up by the looks of things and chucked a couple hundred on the retail.

Have got no end of bad things to say about Scan, but might be worth keeping an eye to see if they do get some in over the next few days if anyone is still chasing one as there might be some in the supply channels.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭kala85

Is new model just as good as the 2017 model.
    Also has anyone found it difficult to get rte player to work with it? Rte player was working fine on mine up to the time that I upgraded the shield softwear and then it would run for a while and then crash.

Is new model just as good as the 2017 model.
    Also has anyone found it difficult to get rte player to work with it? Rte player was working fine on mine up to the time that I upgraded the shield softwear and then it would run for a while and then crash.

There is little difference between the 2017 and 2019 in fact of you're a gamer go for the 2017 with the gaming controller. The only difference is Dolby vision, Dolby Atmos and AI upscaling on the 2019. The new remote with Netflix button can be bought separately

The rte player app on Android TV is a piece of sh1t. I've given up on it completely. They've not updated it to run correctly on the latest version.

Do you know of any other devices that the rte player is more stable on ? Just for my parents as they only really want the rte player app and they wouldnt know how to clear the cache.

Just something that rte player performs in a stable way on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,904 ✭✭✭DopeTech

Do you know of any other devices that the rte player is more stable on ? Just for my parents as they only really want the rte player app and they wouldnt know how to clear the cache.

Just something that rte player performs in a stable way on.

The rte player is crap on all devices to be honest. It will work ok for a while and then randomly one day it'll just stop. This is on any device whether it's a phone, laptop android TV box or smart tv

https://www.buymeacoffee.com/dopetech.ie

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 748 ✭✭✭Mr.Fantastic

McDermotX wrote: »
    At least 7 of the Pro 2019 models in Amazon less than an hour or so back.

Texted someone who had been looking for one to let them know, but checked a couple mins later when he hadn't responded.......but a scalper picked them all up by the looks of things and chucked a couple hundred on the retail.

Have got no end of bad things to say about Scan, but might be worth keeping an eye to see if they do get some in over the next few days if anyone is still chasing one as there might be some in the supply channels.

Preorderd mine from scan a month ago , it's in transit with dpd now , my folks should have it Tuesday

Mr.S wrote: »
    Mobile app + chromecast to the shield is much more stable (plus you get the Live TV option)

The RTE Player app on my 2019 Samsung TV (running their Tizen OS) is actually really stable. Leaps ahead of the other versions I've tried on other devices.

I've same year tv,4k 7 series Samsung and TBH player is awful,like watching VHS, player isn't fit for purpose, I avoid it

Oh weird, on mine the Samsung TV app is really stable, never has an issue playing content. The only 'issue' it has sometimes it that Ads fail to load :D

Now that content is not HD, but very watchable SD.

That's what I meant SD this day n age on a 4k TV is mad, and the SD itself isn't great, wouldn't be bothered with it

• Advertisement

That's what I meant SD this day n age on a 4k TV is mad, and the SD itself isn't great, wouldn't be bothered with it

Might as well be watching Virgin media

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,492 ✭✭✭Sir Oxman

RTE app work on LG smart tvs
    the odd time ad loop but mostly stable.

Can the virgin media app work on the shield as well.

I have found it to be poor as well

Might as well be watching Virgin media

Is it bad?

Is it bad?

Virgin media on saorview is in SD but they also reduce the bitrate. It looks terrible on a 4k TV, blocky!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,904 ✭✭✭DopeTech

Can the virgin media app work on the shield as well.

I have found it to be poor as well

Virgin media player can be sideloaded to android TV boxes. It's not optimised for the big screen though so navigation is pants but you can usually get to what you want.

https://www.buymeacoffee.com/dopetech.ie

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 432 ✭✭iHungry

I managed to order the shield pro from Amazon a few days ago but I'm still pending a delivery date. Anyone else who is looking for one, I used stockinformer.co.uk to alert me.

Virgin media on saorview is in SD but they also reduce the bitrate. It looks terrible on a 4k TV, blocky!

Doesent make sense if they want to attract new customers,I wouldn't watch anything anymore in SD,times too precious, maybe it's a modern phenomenon but rare now when I get my teen and I to agree on TV, bar LOI/Grand tour, and there's no way he'd even contemplate SD

Doesent make sense if they want to attract new customers,I wouldn't watch anything anymore in SD,times too precious, maybe it's a modern phenomenon but rare now when I get my teen and I to agree on TV, bar LOI/Grand tour, and there's no way he'd even contemplate SD

They don't care about Saorview, they'd leave in the morning but their licence (TV3 days) says they have to be on there. They are not on Saorsat and are in HD on the Sky platform

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭Hallaz

iHungry wrote: »
    I managed to order the shield pro from Amazon a few days ago but I'm still pending a delivery date. Anyone else who is looking for one, I used stockinformer.co.uk to alert me.

Did you receive a delivery date as yet?
    Also was it on order from Amazon or via a different seller on amazon?
    thanks

Hallaz wrote: »
    Did you receive a delivery date as yet?
    Also was it on order from Amazon or via a different seller on amazon?
    thanks

I made sure to buy from Amazon directly. I actually made another order yesterday because it was actually in stock on Amazon. My original order I cancelled because it was still pending a delivery date.The new order is due to be delivered between 2-8 June.

Ps I also have prime delivery

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 748 ✭✭✭Mr.Fantastic

Got one from Scan.co.uk had it preordered last month.

Arrived yesterday for my parents all set up now. I know they have negative reviews online but good single experience from me anyway came two days early was due tomorrow.

iHungry wrote: »
    I made sure to buy from Amazon directly. I actually made another order yesterday because it was actually in stock on Amazon. My original order I cancelled because it was still pending a delivery date.The new order is due to be delivered between 2-8 June.

Great! I missed out again today but still have old order. I thought they would fulfill orders before showing available to everyone else. Seems not to be the case

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,705 ✭✭✭54and56

Hi all,

Looking for some advice.

I've a 2017 Shield with a 128mb Sansdisk 128GB USB 3.0 Flash drive set up as internal storage.

There's about 12 apps loaded onto the Shield such as Netflix, an IPTV client, SkyNews, VLC etc.

The app that gets the heaviest use is Plex as it acts as a Plex Media Server for both internal and external users but I've never seen more than two external users concurrently in addition to one internal user. The Shield is ethernet cabled to Virgin 200mb d/l 20mb u/l fibre and also ethernet connected to a 2TB NAS which is mounted as network storage.

All has been fine for the last few months but this evening I started getting persistent "Shields storage space is critically low" error messages.

Having had a good poke around the various storage settings etc I see that the 128gb USB drive is barely used with 119gb free but the 12gb internal is full and 8.5gb of that is due to Plex, see below.

Has anyone encountered this problem? Is there a way to move Plex to the 128gb drive where it can have all the space it needs or what is the solution to this problem? Are the other Shield Storage Access settings correct or do they need to be adjusted?

LOhDMAP.jpg

tow4Wgb.jpg

• Advertisement

Yes it's a known issue with Plex but was addressed long ago. You need to have your extra storage added as adopted storage which increases the Shield internal storage space. If you've very little on it it would be easy back up and restore as adopting storage formats and wipes the drive. You would also not be able to plug it in to Windows in this format, but can connect to it over your lan while it's connected to your Shield on the same network.

https://support.plex.tv/articles/moving-server-data-storage-location-on-nvidia-shield/

Yes it's a known issue with Plex but was addressed long ago. You need to have your extra storage added as adopted storage which increases the Shield internal storage space. If you've very little on it it would be easy back up and restore as adopting storage formats and wipes the drive. You would also not be able to plug it in to Windows in this format, but can connect to it over your lan while it's connected to your Shield on the same network.

https://support.plex.tv/articles/moving-server-data-storage-location-on-nvidia-shield/

Thanks Gooey, does that mean I need to remove the 128GB as Internal Storage and re-install it as removable storage so the Plex Server Data Directory can be moved to the 128GB drive per the process you linked to?

54and56 wrote: »
    Thanks Gooey, does that mean I need to remove the 128GB as Internal Storage and re-install it as removable storage so the Plex Server Data Directory can be moved to the 128GB drive per the process you linked to?

I'm not sure, I've not used Plex in ages, I moved to Emby. Adopted storage should just extend internal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭clintondaly

Howdy,
    You have the drive as adopted storage so you need to go into Plex and into settings.Scroll down to media server and beside it should be an option to move data to internal storage(it should move it to the flash drive then)

If you have thumbnail previews etc. selected in your plex settings these take up huge space also.
    Where is the media stored ?

I also advise you not to have the Flash Drive directly connected to the Shield(they heat up and burn out),twice it has happened to me and now I have gone to an SSD as adopted storage instead) If you're going to keep using that flash drive I would then suggest you get a USB3 extension cable to take the flash drive away from the port although it may still heat slightly-Nvidia have a list of recommended drives for the Shield

Howdy,
    You have the drive as adopted storage so you need to go into Plex and into settings.Scroll down to media server and beside it should be an option to move data to internal storage(it should move it to the flash drive then)

Thanks Clinton,

I removed the USB drive as internal storage and installed is as removable storage for just that reason but when I chose the option in Plex to move data to the USB file despite saying it did it successfully no data arrived on the USB disk and the 12GB of internal storage was still full so I went into the app info and could see that there was 8.5gb of data under the heading "Clear Data" which I cleared. Not only did that free up 8.5gb from the 12gb internal storage but it deleted my PMS all together so now I have to set up up again :mad:
    If you have thumbnail previews etc. selected in your plex settings these take up huge space also.

Yeah I read about that previously so had disabled it and will disable it again after I re-setup the PMS.
    Where is the media stored ?

On an 8 year old 2TB ZyXel NSA310 NAS Drive which is ethernet connected to my router which in turn is ethernet connected to the Shield. I'm worried it's going to fail one of these days so am thinking of re-purposing a PC to be a dedicated Plex server. It's a Win 10 PC with an Intel Core i5-4590 CPU, 16GB RAM, NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 6GB graphics card, 120GB SSD and a 2TB HDD. I'm thinking of adding a 10TB HDD, copying over the 2TB NAS content, retiring the NAS and mounting the 10TB drive to the Shield so I'd run two PMS's, one from the Shield and one from the PC.
    I also advise you not to have the Flash Drive directly connected to the Shield(they heat up and burn out),twice it has happened to me and now I have gone to an SSD as adopted storage instead) If you're going to keep using that flash drive I would then suggest you get a USB3 extension cable to take the flash drive away from the port although it may still heat slightly-Nvidia have a list of recommended drives for the Shield

Thanks for the tip ref the heating, I'll do something about that.

One question, why do you set your SSD as adopted (Internal?) storage as my understanding is it can't be used for Plex data unless it's set as removable storage?

• Advertisement

Hallaz wrote: »
    Great! I missed out again today but still have old order. I thought they would fulfill orders before showing available to everyone else. Seems not to be the case

To Update
    I messaged Amazon and heads up for others they say stock due back in on 29th May
    (seems to be a trickle coming through from other sellers also)

I got a dispatch notice today coming via UPS from Scotland

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭clintondaly

@ 54and56 Have a read of this.

I just had a look there and my data has migrated to the SSD.

Heads up, I see currys.ie have the shield pro in-stock

Something I've always wondered, is there a faster / better way to transfer files over your network to the Shield? Currently I have an external SSD attached to the Shield and I transfer over SMB from my Macbook to the Shield which acts as my Plex Server. I don't attach the SSD to the Macbook because it's easier to just leave it plugged into the Shield hidden away.

All works fine, but it's not the fastest. I assume it's my internal network limitations versus how I'm actually transferring?

FTP will be faster for large files. If you're using wireless this may be your limitation, get them both on Ethernet

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,035 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Am using the SendFilesToTV app myself as tend to download a lot on phone and just send over. Not the fastest but solid!

Using WiFi for the connivance as connecting laptop to Ethernet would be a pain / the shield is in a different room then our router, so I'd imagine that's the down fall.

Will give FTP a go and see if that's any better.

If both devices are on wireless that will be the cause of it. If so connecting one of the devices to Ethernet (full duplex) will have a big effect. Wireless is half duplex.

https://www.makeuseof.com/tag/what-is-half-duplex-and-full-duplex-operation-and-how-does-it-affect-your-router/

Basq wrote: »
    Am using the SendFilesToTV app myself as tend to download a lot on phone and just send over. Not the fastest but solid!

This is my go to also, as basq says not the fastest, but flawless.

DopeTech wrote: »
    Virgin media player can be sideloaded to android TV boxes. It's not optimised for the big screen though so navigation is pants but you can usually get to what you want.

Is it stable or does it crash

What's the difference between the new pro model and the new ordinary model.

I have a 2017 shield already but just thinking of getting another one

• Advertisement
Advertisement