Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

How's the motivation?

Options
  • 21-10-2020 2:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,694 ✭✭✭

About to come to the end of a 6 week end of season break. Usually by the end of my break I'm raring to go again. Only this time motivation is at an all-time low.

Not a prayer of an indoor season means my next race will be May at the earliest. I was looking forward to getting back into the gym, for first time since March, to build up my strength again, but that's off the table now. During the first lockdown, it was all a bit of a novelty. But the thoughts of training in the same spots again, with no access to a track, doesn't fill me with much excitement.

Seems like the next few months will just be about ticking over as I simply can't train properly without a track and a gym. No matter how hard you try, you just can't replicate those environments. Not everyone has the money and space to develop a home gym either.

I do realise I was lucky to get races in this year. I really feel for those who focus on longer distances on the roads.

How's everyone else getting on with all this? How's the motivation?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,967 ✭✭✭✭event

Mine was very low over covid anyway, I just find it hard to motivate for a virtual race if I am honest. IMO they are training runs that you paid for to get a medal. Just my own personal opinion.

I signed up to DCM but did no training so downgraded to the half.

On June bank holiday I did my own fundraiser, the 4/4/48 challenge to keep me motivated. When I look at my training volume in run up, it peaked high but has tailed off since then:

April 33 miles
    May 125 miles
    June 90 miles
    July 21 miles
    August 69 miles
    September 17 miles
    October 28 miles

Going to struggle to do much over winter tbh, too easy to make excuses

Edit:

To put into perspective, last year when training for DCM

June 59 miles
    July 49 miles(got married and honeymoon)
    August 119 miles
    September 128 miles
    October 113 miles

• Registered Users Posts: 1,222 ✭✭✭Wottle

Quote from Frank O Mara "Just stay in the game" really stuck with me from the fine piece below.
    On top of that no crazy goals that'll zap my energy and motivation, lot to be said for just ticking over.

In lockdown 1 that's all I did running-wise, tick over, and then the last month or two I've picked the intensity up and was rewarded with my 2nd fastest 10 miler, only 18 seconds off a time from 2002.

Cathal Dennehy piece on Frank O Mara

• Registered Users Posts: 6,172 ✭✭✭crisco10

I find my motivation quite contradictory at times. During lockdown, because we can't do anything else really, I crave getting out (and do 5 or 6 times a week). BUT my motivation to anything other than easy running is frequently quite low.

That said, when I do do something hard - I enjoy it and feel a bit of adrenalin rush and am glad I did it. But obviously the buzz is but a fraction of building toward a real life race.

Somewhat torn on virtual races, on the one hand you are just paying for a medal. You could still do the same TT at the same time for free, and it would be no different. On the other hand, signing up to a fixed date does provide SOME focus.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,582 ✭✭✭Swashbuckler

I'm one of those funny folks that seems to have benefitted from this lockdown. Was just chatting with Coach L about it at the weekend.

It's allowed me to focus completely on training with no interruptions or thoughts of PB's. I've experimented with a few approaches (lots of racing, mixing up race distances, jumping back and forth between 5k focus to HM focus). I just think maybe i'm wired in a way that lends itself to long term focus with little pressure of getting a "result" from it.

I get how that approach wouldnt suit many. I've been very consistent all year clocking up what will probably be my highest mileage and highest quality year yet. I've built up to meatier sessions that I wouldnt have handled so well last year. I guess I dont miss racing......atall.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,845 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

I was going well till I did my ankle in. First run yesterday over 5.5k, foot a little bit sore.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭partyguinness

Lockdown was great for me. Just beforehand I was introduced to slow HR training, VO2, Keto etc

No school runs and could run all I want when I wanted. I have more mileage on the clock so far this year than all of 2018 and 2019 put togther and all good quality with a professional coach setting my weekly schedule.

5k and 10k pbs in recent weeks and on course to obliterate my marathon pb next month.

Admittedly finding the motivation for a 120min steady run tonight will be a serious challenge on cold miserable dark October night.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,079 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

Motivation is fine apart from an ongoing hamstring issue that I'm heading into SSC to have treated next Tuesday.
    I have a plan with specific goals and targets, still on my streak, and have had a few guerilla type TT's to keep interested.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

Lockdown basically has given me a chance to recover an injury stress free of looming races

Lockdown had me working from home and made me dust off a rower, kettlebell and dumbbell. The rower kept me sane during rehab/recovery as I didn't need a gym, I could just hop on as I please. Having the couple of dumbells got me into a groove of strength sessions that should accompany any runner. Its not an excuse though, google Calisthenics and all you need is your own body and a mat or floor.

Lockdown gave me time too. I didn't have to go out and run as early before a work commute for instance or I can collect kids earlier, have them sorted for when herself arrives home and get out earlier in the evening. Some of the late evening autumns are special running conditions that I n longer take for granted.

I tend to self motivate easily though as running is about more than training for a race. I don't need races as goals, I can set TTs of different types like 30 mins, my local loop etc to feed the endorphins.

I also do train alone most of the time anyway so being part of a club and club events is not something I've missed. I was starting to do parkruns though and getting to know folk so look forward to stuff like that popping up again. I am part of a team and we have a big race planned next year. I'm sad that I can't meet them and train together but also really looking forward to opportunities I will get to do so.

I think with everything going on, I appreciate that I can run, I can train, I'm fit, I feel physically good, I'm sleeping well. As a result I'm enjoying training a lot and choosing when to push myself instead of a program setting the workout and schedule.

My goals for the next marathon, 10k or whatever it will be is to have fun, with people and race hard with whatever I have in the tank on the day. Guaranteed satisfaction! If its a PR, bonus!

I think that if you can tip away and keep a solid foundation, you don't necessarily need a lengthy race program to build, taper and peak.

Was doing up to 100km per week during the lockdown in April/May, the novelty of a few hours off every day, the summer coming up etc. I'm lucky enough to be near a National Park and the 5km gets me into it. This time around it's going to be harder though, not gone on the idea of night time running around mountains, and all racing over until next year etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,763 ✭✭✭Fenster

I'm pretty solid here. I hate being back in flatland and pissed at having to miss out on my trail ultra, but I'm working to pivot that energy into other running accomplishments.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭Miklos

I was absolutely flying it until a couple of weeks ago, hardly a rough patch since March, but suddenly my motivation has just gone to the dogs.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 3,550 Mod ✭✭✭✭Myksyk

Motivation has been good for me. Have managed to maintain an appetite for running most of the year. I put it down to the thousand mile challenge here on the forum. I was injured and not running for two and a half months early in the year so have had to up my running the last few months to get to the mark by the end of the year. Currently averaging 50km a week and enjoying it immensely. Have to watch a few niggles which can be made worse by motivation being too high and wanting to get out running all the time. However, as with all things in my experience, motivation is bound to ebb and flow ... you've just got to make the most of it when it's there, know when to allow yourself to slow up or stop when its absent, and know when you need a push to get back when its low.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,015 ✭✭✭Itziger

I was doing well on the motivation front. Ran a half decent Half in September. Was ticking along nicely. Then returned a positive Covid result - no symptoms but missed 10 days of training. Came back there and did a couple of easy days. Now I have a flippin' stomach bug. Another 3 days of nowt. Starting to wonder what's the point.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,420 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Itziger wrote: »
    I was doing well on the motivation front. Ran a half decent Half in September. Was ticking along nicely. Then returned a positive Covid result - no symptoms but missed 10 days of training. Came back there and did a couple of easy days. Now I have a flippin' stomach bug. Another 3 days of nowt. Starting to wonder what's the point.

I don't know, D, at your age you got off lightly enough! Few weeks off won't kill you either. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,643 ✭✭✭ThePiedPiper

I was really motivated at the start, back in March-June. I was probably doing 50-60 miles per week. In July, I broke a toe, and my two marathon options were both cancelled. I didn’t really believe in the virtual thing at that stage.
    Strangely enough, getting back to school seemed to flick the motivation switch back on, and I went for the virtual marathon. The heavy work from spring and summer paid off, and the goal of having a target then furthered it. Next actual race is scheduled for April. I reckon I’ll be fairly committed, especially if it can be an actual race.

I've found myself pretty highly motivated all year. The lockdown restrictions encouraged me to run more, as I was determined to explore every inch of the 2k limit, and as I based myself in Donegal for much it, I got in a lot of hill work. Then it was marathon training over summer and autumn, as the races fell away one by one. I was doing the full Hanson schedule for the first time so the challenge of that kept me on my toes, and I was fortunate to have some training buddies doing the plan at the same time. A bit jaded towards the end, as the training schedule crept up to 20+ weeks, but the result was very satisfying, and has me feeling like there's still a bit of improvement to wring out. A new age category next year will no doubt add a bit of spice to the competitive side, if and when racing actually resumes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,212 ✭✭✭Beanstalk

I started running exactly a year ago and my motivation is currently very high. Mad the most of it during the first lockdown but injuries held me back until i copped on and varied my runs and ran slower. Now i go out four times a week, usually in the morning. It helps that i have an energetic border collie who just loves getting out and about. I love thinking about nothing when i'm running and in the past year i've managed three halfs and did a 5k in under 20, which i'm really proud of and never thought i could do. I'm really addicted now!

Murph_D wrote: »
    I've found myself pretty highly motivated all year. The lockdown restrictions encouraged me to run more, as I was determined to explore every inch of the 2k limit, and as I based myself in Donegal for much it, I got in a lot of hill work. Then it was marathon training over summer and autumn, as the races fell away one by one. I was doing the full Hanson schedule for the first time so the challenge of that kept me on my toes, and I was fortunate to have some training buddies doing the plan at the same time. A bit jaded towards the end, as the training schedule crept up to 20+ weeks, but the result was very satisfying, and has me feeling like there's still a bit of improvement to wring out. A new age category next year will no doubt add a bit of spice to the competitive side, if and when racing actually resumes.

60+ can be a lonely auld place. Best of luck with it.

60+ can be a lonely auld place. Best of luck with it.

Oh, I have a couple of rivals! But I'm not wishing away my relative youth. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 917 ✭✭✭Jakey Rolling

Has worked out well enough for me so far - I had taken a few months out towards the end of 2019 to rest a niggling injury and shamefully put up 10 kg by Christmas. The injury hadn't fully resolved, and it has taken me most of the year to lose most of that extra weight. As I wasn't in a position to race, and didn't miss any races I'll count that as a plus. ( I did run Dungarvan 10 in Feb to keep my streak going and posted 80 mins, bloody hard work and 14 mins down on my best)

I'm just back into enjoying my running since September, mixing up roads and trails, no pressure.
    Now that I'm fit enough to train properly for a spring marathon (probably an MCI event at this stage), at least I might actually stick to my training plan and not get distracted by random races as usual. COVID work schedule also means I can run during the day for most of the week, which is much more pleasant than having to squeeze in runs on dark evenings.

100412.2526@compuserve.com

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,495 ✭✭✭Laineyfrecks

I think my motivation has been good throughout this whole year so far! I was very lucky to get to race Bohermeen just before races were cancelled, and i really enjoyed it, so very grateful for that. As a relatively new runner to races & PB'S they definitely drove my motivation before the lockdown. There's nothing quite like the buzz of running faster than you did last time! I couldn't have imagined doing a plan just because... but that's exactly what I'm doing now. Running 6 days a week without fail & enjoying it. I have focused so much more on myself & my running instead of focusing on the PB's. I definitely think the virtual TT's that were organised here in the 1st lockdown were brilliant & great for motivation & just a good bit of craic too! For me personally it's about committing to a plan & seeing it out weither that be a TT or not at the end. A huge part of running is the mental health aspect & to me that's enough motivation in itself.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,291 ✭✭✭ariana`

I lost my motivation for marathon training mid-cycle due to race cancellations and just lack of other people to train with, no buzz etc. But I'm still running the same number of days with the structure of sessions, easy runs and a long run and my weekly mileage is where I want it to be at a sustainable level for me. I ran a virtual half last weekend and was 1 second slower than my last HM race so I'm happy that I'm in decent shape, although definitely not specific race shape. I certainly feel I'm in a good place to build on next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭rovers_runner

It's tough at the monent.
    All that's out there to read is that organisers are postponing until October 2021 which seems to be the new target day 0, although with it also being the start of flu season I don't see how this will go well unless mass vaccination starts by summer.

So we are looking at possibly April 2022 before larger mass participation races are back....

All one can do is keep ticking over with steady upward cycles and the odd rest week here and there to avoid monotony.

Last race for me was Raheny 5 which was the essence of road running along with the bull run start, a distant memory now.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,246 ✭✭✭corcaigh07

IMRA events when we are in Level 2 or below seems to be the only reliable source of races in Ireland until a vaccine is found. Races under Level 3 are unlikely with the stay in your county recommendation.

Personally managed to get Ballyhoura and Galtees Half Marathons in over the summer. Only road race I had this year was the Allihies 5 mile (hosted by Beara AC) which was a fantastic day out but still needed to start in small waves to be safe.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,393 ✭✭✭Dubh Geannain

I didn't manage to hit my 2019 running goal so the motivation in the first half of 2020 took care of itself until I finally achieved it. Races haven't been my thing too much up to now so luckily I haven't had anything cancelled but feel bad for the folks around here.

COVID hasn't affected my motivation for running at all really. If anything it's increased it. There isn't much else that gets you out of the house these days.

Last year I managed to run over 1,000 km for the first time. Now I hope to pass 1,000 miles in the next couple of a weeks. One goal replaces the other and I move on.

I focused all year on running the Athens marathon which was supposed to be on next weekend. It was cancelled 4 weeks ago after 7 months of solid coach led training.

So determined am I to run a marathon that I am flying to Varna in Bulgaria to run one. Have not booked flights yet and it's doing my head in the uncertainty.

I am officially tapering ATM...

I focused all year on running the Athens marathon which was supposed to be on next weekend. It was cancelled 4 weeks ago after 7 months of solid coach led training.

So determined am I to run a marathon that I am flying to Varna in Bulgaria to run one. Have not booked flights yet and it's doing my head in the uncertainty.

Varna you say?........

Varna you say?........

Yeah. Am so demented at this stage I am seriously considering it.

• Registered Users Posts: 333 ✭✭Down South

fyi, covid levels in Varna have increased significantly in past few days

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,763 ✭✭✭Fenster

Going great here, running a self-supported ultra tomorrow around the locality.

Advertisement