Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Heavyweight Boxing

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,814 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

walshb wrote: »
    Agreed.

At least he’d be doing it both properly and legally!

I doubt them all to be honest
    Remember Lance Armstrong never tested positive,
    The ones i worry most about are the guys never out of shape at heavy weight Wlad, AJ so on

AJ most likely prefers staying in shape as it's easier or suits him to, rather than going on any sort of a deficit to burn off flab. He likely carries an extra bit but is careful to not show it also from time to time.

Fury takes the foot off the gas training wise more than AJ also I would think, Ricky Hatton (obviously not a HW) was a disgrace at times when not in a camp.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 56,625 ✭✭✭✭walshb

AJ has been "out of shape" plenty........when out of training camp. It's just his makeup

Always been very bulky...

I doubt them all to be honest

Well, sure what's the point then......if they are suspect, what is the issue,....

Leave them be...

Even the clean ones, are possibly dirty, because we are suspicious:confused:......

Life always will have those who break rules and those who don't.....it applies everywhere.

Plenty sports people across all sports doing it clean and fairly and within the rules...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 474 ✭✭Figel Narage

Well, sure what's the point then......if they are suspect, what is the issue,....

Leave them be...

Even the clean ones, are possibly dirty, because we are suspicious:confused:......

Life always will have those who break rules and those who don't.....it applies everywhere.

Plenty sports people across all sports doing it clean and fairly and within the rules...

I think if there's money on the line you're shooting yourself in the foot not taking every advantage you can because everyone else probably is. Even Tyson Fury got caught once, from what I've seen the testers are always a step behind so every effort to stamp out PED use always falls short.

I think if there's money on the line you're shooting yourself in the foot not taking every advantage you can because everyone else probably is. Even Tyson Fury got caught once, from what I've seen the testers are always a step behind so every effort to stamp out PED use always falls short.

Of course money is tempting..

All depends on the person and their talent levels as well..

Plenty people doing it clean and fair and making heaps of money, as well as being elite and up near the top, if not at the top...

Talent and skills and hard work can still see clean athletes be the best......

Look at Roger Federer....One example....

There are many more.....

Usain Bolt and Floyd Mayweather......theses lads are the best because they are the best...end of.

Plenty people doing it clean and fair and making heaps of money, as well as being elite and up near the top, if not at the top...

There are many more.....

Usain Bolt and Floyd Mayweather......theses lads are the best because they are the best...end of.

But how does anyone know the above 3 are clean?

I have no issue with PEDs and if everyone was or wasn't on something those guys would still be at the top but all 3 have question marks around them regarding this and again, so much money on the line they know how to avoid any dated testing procedures. But anyways, I'll say no more and not divert the thread anymore on this topic

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,202 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

There are many more.....

“When people ask me about Bolt, I say he could be the greatest athlete of all time. But for someone to run 10.03 one year and 9.69 the next, if you don’t question that in a sport that has the reputation it has right now, you’re a fool. Period.” Carl Lewis

And carl lewis would know :P

Top 40 times for 100m, anyone caught doping has a line through them (disclaimer Maurice Greene was never caught during his career, but was listed in a Federal Investigation into doping as someone who used PEDs along with a bank statement where he paid $10k to someone who supplied drugs to athletes.)

https://miro.medium.com/max/508/1*7xcoGuK__MXuinvdINlzSA.png

Full article here

https://medium.com/@tomnew/usain-bolt-lance-armstrong-and-the-duck-test-303b7b891e7e

But how does anyone know the above 3 are clean?

I have no issue with PEDs and if everyone was or wasn't on something those guys would still be at the top but all 3 have question marks around them regarding this and again, so much money on the line they know how to avoid any dated testing procedures. But anyways, I'll say no more and not divert the thread anymore on this topic

Nobody can know anything for certain....I get this...

But this nonsense of trying to say they are ALL on drugs is just utter scutter...as well as plain weird

Some people don't cheat........why is this so difficult for people to accept..

Some people who don't cheat are also the best at what they do......

Folks seem to have this weird belief that you can't be the best unless you cheat........horsesh1t..

Relating to Fury and his PED use: I have a feeling that he never interned to do what he did to cheat, or gain an advantage.....I think he just got caught out...I can't know for certain. I juts think there may be no real intent/deception; of course, I could be wrong.

A lot of these things are never clear cut....

I mean, Ben Johnson: Yes, 100 percent cheated and used serious PEDs to do so......and those PEDs enables him to improve by almost .5 of a second....huge gains...

But that is not to say that someone else could not improve by considerable gains down to hard work, talent and maturity.....

It is a very complex and nuanced area....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,342 ✭✭✭Bobby Baccala

Nobody can know anything for certain....I get this...

But this nonsense of trying to say they are ALL on drugs is just utter scutter...as well as plain weird

Some people don't cheat........why is this so difficult for people to accept..

Some people who don't cheat are also the best at what they do......

Folks seem to have this weird belief that you can't be the best unless you cheat........horsesh1t..

Relating to Fury and his PED use: I have a feeling that he never interned to do what he did to cheat, or gain an advantage.....I think he just got caught out...I can't know for certain. I juts think there may be no real intent/deception; of course, I could be wrong.

A lot of these things are never clear cut....

I mean, Ben Johnson: Yes, 100 percent cheated and used serious PEDs to do so......and those PEDs enables him to improve by almost .5 of a second....huge gains...

But that is not to say that someone else could not improve by considerable gains down to hard work, talent and maturity.....

It is a very complex and nuanced area....

You hardly believe fury’s excuse of eating uncastrated boar? I’d imagine nearly everybody in boxing is on peds, it’s just a case of who’s best at hiding it. Look at AJ walking into the ring looking like Schwarzenegger.

I’m sure there’s plenty of honest fighters out there too that don’t touch the stuff and got where they are by shear hard work.

You hardly believe fury’s excuse of eating uncastrated boar? .

The Fury one is an odd one...

Not sure why he would cheat and take PEDs.....just comes across as not that type...

Nandrolone levels exceeded the allowable limit...

I just wonder did he deliberately ingest PEDs to gain some physical advantage...

Not every person who is found to have failed dope tests intentionally and deliberately set out to cheat.

Of course, it is the responsibility of the person to make sure they don't fail, but some do because of genuine mistakes, as opposed to deliberate and intentional ingestion/cheating.

It is such a gray and nuanced and convoluted area....Not all failed tests/persons are Ben Johnson's and Lance Armstrong's

The Sharapova case is one I firmly believe that she did not ever set out to gain an illegal advantage.

You hardly believe fury’s excuse of eating uncastrated boar? I’d imagine nearly everybody in boxing is on peds, it’s just a case of who’s best at hiding it. Look at AJ walking into the ring looking like Schwarzenegger.

I’m sure there’s plenty of honest fighters out there too that don’t touch the stuff and got where they are by shear hard work.

I think in something like boxing or MMA, if you're up against a guy who's on something and you're not, it's within your own interests to be on something for your own protection almost.

Again though, I have no problem with PED's, the concept that say for example, Anthony Joshua or Tyson Fury took steroids and isn't working hard is false. Any top level athlete, on PED's or not has to work incredibly hard, PED's help you to where you have to go but you still have to work hard and be genetically gifted or else you'll eventually hit a stumbling block you can't get past. I could take the exact same stuff Ben Johnson took and I wouldn't get to anywhere near his 100 Metre time, PED's no doubt help but you have to have supreme genetics and be willing to work hard to be an elite athlete.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,342 ✭✭✭Bobby Baccala

I think in something like boxing or MMA, if you're up against a guy who's on something and you're not, it's within your own interests to be on something for your own protection almost.

Again though, I have no problem with PED's, the concept that say for example, Anthony Joshua or Tyson Fury took steroids and isn't working hard is false. Any top level athlete, on PED's or not has to work incredibly hard, PED's help you to where you have to go but you still have to work hard and be genetically gifted or else you'll eventually hit a stumbling block you can't get past. I could take the exact same stuff Ben Johnson took and I wouldn't get to anywhere near his 100 Metre time, PED's no doubt help but you have to have supreme genetics and be willing to work hard to be an elite athlete.

Way to state the obvious buddy I don’t think I ever suggested you can get to the top without working hard only an idiot would actually believe that

Way to state the obvious buddy I don’t think I ever suggested you can get to the top without working hard only an idiot would actually believe that

Calm down

Anyone who thinks you cant cheat check out Derek on more plates more dates youtube channel

I know corny name but the guy is a professional chemist who is into body building, People send him request on athletes on what he thinks they could be on and how they are passing tests

The guys on the ball, not sure if hes done many boxers but he done loads of UFC guys like Jon Jones and Poula Costa, He is very informative and extremely knowledgeable

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭gypsy79

The Sharapova case is one I firmly believe that she did not ever set out to gain an illegal advantage.

Neither was Mo Farah....are you insane. She was taking a drug for 10 years that is metabolic modulator. Cop yourself on please. She was playing on the very limits

gypsy79 wrote: »
    Neither was Mo Farah....are you insane. She was taking a drug for 10 years that is metabolic modulator. Cop yourself on please. She was playing on the very limits

Calm down!

Calm down!

Do you stand by it?

The Fury one is a very odd one as it was at a time when he was very much not in a great place and probably not training hard enough to take full advantage

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,996 ✭✭✭selectamatic

Do you stand by it?

The Fury one is a very odd one as it was at a time when he was very much not in a great place and probably not training hard enough to take full advantage

I'm near certain Fury tested for having Nandrolone in his system between Feb and March 2015. Around about the time he fought Hammer and was in arguably the shape of his life.

Do you stand by it?

Yes....

She was using the substance for years legally.....

• Advertisement

Yes....

She was using the substance for years legally.....

But not in the spirit of the rules. Delighted the cheat got caught. Because if she was willing break spirit before then she would be willing to take other stuff

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭ASOT

Whyte Povetkin postponed to march 27th, on in Gibraltar now

• Registered Users Posts: 4,878 ✭✭✭squinn2912

ASOT wrote: »
    Whyte Povetkin postponed to march 27th, on in Gibraltar now

FFS again

I wonder will crowds be allowed at that? Was there a reason given?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭ASOT

squinn2912 wrote: »
    FFS again

I don't think there will be, I'm only up the road so if they are I will attend but pubs etc are still closed here for the next week to two. Don't see things picking up in time for crowds.

Eddie said covid travel restrictions was the issue.

FFS again

Portugal was red listed and thats where Whyte is in training Camp, So he would have had to pack up ASAP and fly back to England do quaritine and set up and new camp

He didn't want to do that, so new venue means he can keep training and just arrive a few days out like originally planned

Portugal was red listed and thats where Whyte is in training Camp, So he would have had to pack up ASAP and fly back to England do quaritine and set up and new camp

He didn't want to do that, so new venue means he can keep training and just arrive a few days out like originally planned

Ah that’s fair enough. Roll on the summer

• Registered Users Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭Blanco100

Jaysus, Joshua talks some awful ****e when given a microphone it's almost cringworthy, he's a walking cliche.

"If Fury wants it, he knows where to find the boss", shut up and get the fight signed FFS.

His media coaching is very apparent, inspirational quote followed by reminder he was born to fight. Rinse and repeat.

Blanco100 wrote: »
    Jaysus, Joshua talks some awful ****e when given a microphone it's almost cringworthy, he's a walking cliche.

"If Fury wants it, he knows where to find the boss", shut up and get the fight signed FFS.

His media coaching is very apparent, inspirational quote followed by reminder he was born to fight. Rinse and repeat.

I think this sums up why I hate him so much

He avoided Wilder for how many years while they were both champs....I think it was longest in history

AJ is a commodity. Scripted and versed in how to behave. Love it or loathe it...

I don't care too much either way.

Fury is a waffler. Can be entertaining at times, no doubt....both as likable or unlikable as the other for me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 242 ✭✭ACAguy

Who thinks AJ Fury will actually happen in the summer and where do you predict it to be?

• Advertisement

ACAguy wrote: »
    Who thinks AJ Fury will actually happen in the summer and where do you predict it to be?

Not as confident as I was a month ago,
    Fury is starting to put out little feelers that he might take another fight first, He starting to think AJ and Hearn are delaying it till late summer and he knows the further it goes back the worse for him as he hasn't fought in so long

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 242 ✭✭ACAguy

Can't see it happening in UK I know they are opening up from June 22 but can't see them going from no fans to filling wembley, Can't see it being in New york due to AJ loss being there.

Not as confident as I was a month ago,
    Fury is starting to put out little feelers that he might take another fight first, He starting to think AJ and Hearn are delaying it till late summer and he knows the further it goes back the worse for him as he hasn't fought in so long

Hasn’t fought in so long shouldn’t be an issue for either man

Both so called best HWs on earth..

AJ one fight few months ago. Other than this his last fight was end 2019

Fury a year out now.

Just fooking fight!!

As much as I wanna see them fight each other I wanna see them both fight I’m starting to not care that much. These lads at the height of their powers should be fit to fight twice a year than every 18 months plus the panto

Hearn is a greedy f*cker, he's the reason it's taking so long.

Fury will usually fight whoever, it's prob cost him money over the years to give off the impression he's a "fighting man".

Don't doubt AJ would fight him either, rather it's Hearn being as cagey as f*ck as I don't think there's any way he can get his usual options on an opponent should they beat his cash cow AJ.

He will look for the lions share of the purse for AJ and we'll hear the usual garbage that his man is the a-side of the fight blah blah. The hearns will only do business when the money is right, they know it's make or break.

I don't think they fancy their own man in this one so they will need to be creative in the rematch/future purse split deals given match room won't get any options on Fury should he win as getting money out of Top Rank is like getting blood from a stone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,942 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Hear wants fans at the fight, that's the reason he's delaying. He's hoping to hold it off until announcements are made about crowds being allowed back at fights and then he'll come out and say that they'll wait for fans to be allowed attend.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,705 ✭✭✭The Inbetween is mine

Was watching the Joseph Parker Vs Junior Fa .. awful fight...worse scoring is all I'll say

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,131 ✭✭✭✭normanoffside

Was watching the Joseph Parker Vs Junior Fa .. awful fight...worse scoring is all I'll say

Yes, terrible fight but 119-109 for Parker was a joke.

• Registered Users Posts: 830 ✭✭✭Butson

As much as I wanna see them fight each other I wanna see them both fight I’m starting to not care that much. These lads at the height of their powers should be fit to fight twice a year than every 18 months plus the panto

Agreed, over it now.
    Hearn will do what's best for his bank balance.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,651 ✭✭✭US2

Jesus Andy Ruiz is after getting in some shape.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,651 ✭✭✭US2

Must be a welterweight now so

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,131 ✭✭✭✭normanoffside

Not a chance that’s real. He had similar pictures out before his AJ rematch.

Not a chance that’s real. He had similar pictures out before his AJ rematch.

The last picture is actually a photoshopped picture of AJ i kid u not, They lightened the skin amd put that tats on

It was for an umder armor add, Just scroll down on that Twitter link and ull see it

• Advertisement

Saw that about Ruiz. The girls on social media gave him tips on hiding the belly with angles anyhow. Ridiculous. I’d say the second picture isn’t even genuine either. He let himself down a bagful and insulted the fans.

How did you guys see the Parker fight? I was looking at sky sports updates just. They dressed it up into a decent fight but they reckoned Fa might have edged it, especially early on. He got a rob on Hughie, I think there was a lot of dispute with the aforementioned Ruiz fight and if this was another poor call then that’s quite a few favourable close calls. I liked him enough but since the aj fight he’s stunk. The talk is that he’s now ‘earned’ a fight with Chisora. Holy good God a younger former world champion earning a fight with mr cement feet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,351 ✭✭✭Littlehorny

Is there anything concrete in the story I read the other day that Fury and Joshua have agreed terms?#

Fights a goer according to Bob Arum :)

They seemed to have ironed out a lot

But still a venue and date to be signed here....

Let's hope it happens in the summer at the latest

I reckon that they’re ready to announce but won’t until they are fairly sure of the details. Could wait until they can pack a stadium. If it rolls on that long I wonder will one or both take warm up fights.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,942 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

squinn2912 wrote:
    I reckon that they’re ready to announce but won’t until they are fairly sure of the details. Could wait until they can pack a stadium. If it rolls on that long I wonder will one or both take warm up fights.
    They'll wait until the fans are back in the arena, that's all that's holding it up.

• Advertisement
Advertisement