Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

10-12-2019, 04:23   #1
Black Swan
Category Moderator

Active Volcanoes

White Island volcano in New Zealand suddenly erupted explosively. Several people killed and missing.
(3) thanks from:
Advertisement
10-12-2019, 05:27   #2
Wanderer78

Scary stuff alright, I was on it a long time ago, amazing place
Thanks from:
10-12-2019, 08:05   #3
Black Swan
Category Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wanderer78 View Post
Scary stuff alright, I was on it a long time ago, amazing place
On White Island, or just in New Zealand? If White, what was it like to visit the island? Any smoking from cracks, etc.?
10-12-2019, 08:11   #4
Wanderer78

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Swan View Post
On White Island, or just in New Zealand? If White, what was it like to visit the island? Any smoking from cracks, etc.?
both, it was stunning to visit, ive been on a few active/erupting volcanoes, highly recommend it. yea there was a bit of activity on white island when i was there, minimal though, some steam and sulfur eruptions, but nothing too dangerous, we could get very close to the activity. it was many years ago though, so ive hazy memories, must look at my pics and videos, theyre probably of poor quality though
10-12-2019, 20:20   #5
Fathom

Quote:
ive been on a few active/erupting volcanoes,
Hawaii? Has 4 active volcanoes: Kilauea; Maunaloa; Leahi (Diamond Head); and Haleakala. Been to them Wanderer?
Advertisement
11-12-2019, 10:38   #6
Manach

I must confess I went from very interested, a news report on a volcano, to horrified a second latter when they mentioned the causalties.
I was recently listening to the fairly good audio book, How the Earth Works, and the author had mentioned a similar event when a group of journalists and scientists suffered a similar fate at an active volcano.
Thanks from:
11-12-2019, 14:31   #7
dogmatix

I've been up Stromboli twice - first time was scary as a sudden thunder and lightening storm appeared over the peak at the same time as the volcanic activity in the crater. But by and large Stromboli is safe to visit - and worth it to see the activity in the crater.

Also went to nearby Vulcano - not currently active but the heavy gasses really irritate the lungs and eyes, not recommended if you have asthma or similar lung problems. The sulphur mud baths are an interesting experience though.

But volcano's will always have a certain risk. Even "gentle" Stromboli can sometimes become dangerously violent - last July a hiker was killed during an eruption and there was a very powerful and dangerous eruption in August.
(2) thanks from:
11-12-2019, 23:30   #8
Fathom

Tectonic plate movement may result in volcanic activity. Old and new. Pacific Rim active now.
12-12-2019, 01:11   #9
Fathom

Oregon State University submarine volcanoes: "estimate of 4,000 volcanoes per million square kilometers on the floor of the Pacific Ocean."
Thanks from:
Advertisement
12-12-2019, 06:53   #10
Wanderer78

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fathom
Hawaii? Has 4 active volcanoes: Kilauea; Maunaloa; Leahi (Diamond Head); and Haleakala. Been to them Wanderer?

Yea I've been on kilauea, it was my first volcano, we got right up to lava flows, astonishing heat, so much so, our boots started melting. We walked through the lava fields towards the coast, to watch the lava enter the sea but from a distance, as the shelf overhanging the coast was too dangerous to be on, we could see the stream of course. I really wish I had spent more time there, checking out the other islands and volcanoes.

I was on a bit of a role in my twenties, was on a few active ones around the world, as others have said though, they are bloody dangerous, merapi Indonesia probably being the most dangerous, only 1/2 k from pyroclastic flows, twas all good fun though.
(2) thanks from:
13-12-2019, 00:48   #11
Fathom

Quote:
Yea I've been on kilauea, it was my first volcano, we got right up to lava flows, astonishing heat, so much so, our boots started melting.
Sulfur smells?
Thanks from:
13-12-2019, 05:59   #12
Wanderer78

Quote:
Sulfur smells?

Its a good few years ago now, so my memories are hazy, but I think we did experience the dreaded sulphur smell in areas, I don't remember it at the point of where the molten lava was though, but I was so awe struck, bombs could have been dropping beside me and I wouldn't have known. rotorua new Zealand is probably the worst place I've experienced that smell, it's horrendous, comes in strong waves with the wind
13-12-2019, 20:26   #13
Fathom

Sulfur smells. Rotten eggs?
13-12-2019, 21:14   #14
Wanderer78

Quote:
Sulfur smells. Rotten eggs?

Yea its a vile smell, can be very strong at times, would make you wanna vomit, but to be honest, most of my volcano visits have been with little or no strong smells, just simply incredible
17-12-2019, 01:09   #15
Fathom

Extinct volcanoes in Ireland: Slieve Gullion in County Armagh, Croghan Hill in County Offaly, Mount Slemish in County Antrim, Lambay Island in Dublin and Loch Na Fooey in County Galway.
(3) thanks from:

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion