Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Active Volcanoes

• 10-12-2019 4:23am
    Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,212 CMod ✭✭✭✭

White Island volcano in New Zealand suddenly erupted explosively. Several people killed and missing.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,703 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

Scary stuff alright, I was on it a long time ago, amazing place

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,212 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    Scary stuff alright, I was on it a long time ago, amazing place
    On White Island, or just in New Zealand? If White, what was it like to visit the island? Any smoking from cracks, etc.?

Black Swan wrote: »
    On White Island, or just in New Zealand? If White, what was it like to visit the island? Any smoking from cracks, etc.?

both, it was stunning to visit, ive been on a few active/erupting volcanoes, highly recommend it. yea there was a bit of activity on white island when i was there, minimal though, some steam and sulfur eruptions, but nothing too dangerous, we could get very close to the activity. it was many years ago though, so ive hazy memories, must look at my pics and videos, theyre probably of poor quality though

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,639 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manach

I must confess I went from very interested, a news report on a volcano, to horrified a second latter when they mentioned the causalties.
    I was recently listening to the fairly good audio book, How the Earth Works, and the author had mentioned a similar event when a group of journalists and scientists suffered a similar fate at an active volcano.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,404 ✭✭✭dogmatix

I've been up Stromboli twice - first time was scary as a sudden thunder and lightening storm appeared over the peak at the same time as the volcanic activity in the crater. But by and large Stromboli is safe to visit - and worth it to see the activity in the crater.

Also went to nearby Vulcano - not currently active but the heavy gasses really irritate the lungs and eyes, not recommended if you have asthma or similar lung problems. The sulphur mud baths are an interesting experience though.

But volcano's will always have a certain risk. Even "gentle" Stromboli can sometimes become dangerously violent - last July a hiker was killed during an eruption and there was a very powerful and dangerous eruption in August.

• Advertisement

Fathom wrote:
    Hawaii? Has 4 active volcanoes: Kilauea; Maunaloa; Leahi (Diamond Head); and Haleakala. Been to them Wanderer?

Yea I've been on kilauea, it was my first volcano, we got right up to lava flows, astonishing heat, so much so, our boots started melting. We walked through the lava fields towards the coast, to watch the lava enter the sea but from a distance, as the shelf overhanging the coast was too dangerous to be on, we could see the stream of course. I really wish I had spent more time there, checking out the other islands and volcanoes.

I was on a bit of a role in my twenties, was on a few active ones around the world, as others have said though, they are bloody dangerous, merapi Indonesia probably being the most dangerous, only 1/2 k from pyroclastic flows, twas all good fun though.

Fathom wrote:
    Sulfur smells?

Its a good few years ago now, so my memories are hazy, but I think we did experience the dreaded sulphur smell in areas, I don't remember it at the point of where the molten lava was though, but I was so awe struck, bombs could have been dropping beside me and I wouldn't have known. rotorua new Zealand is probably the worst place I've experienced that smell, it's horrendous, comes in strong waves with the wind

Fathom wrote:
    Sulfur smells. Rotten eggs?

Yea its a vile smell, can be very strong at times, would make you wanna vomit, but to be honest, most of my volcano visits have been with little or no strong smells, just simply incredible

• Registered Users Posts: 10,940 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

Fathom wrote: »
    Extinct volcanoes in Ireland: Slieve Gullion in County Armagh, Croghan Hill in County Offaly, Mount Slemish in County Antrim, Lambay Island in Dublin and Loch Na Fooey in County Galway.

There's a whole stream of volcanic plugs or hills running through co.wexford.
    From arklow point to Tara hill to vinegar hill to carrickbyrne to slieve coillte.
    It's along this north east to south west axis that has some of the best quality soil in the country.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,212 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

Interesting article on Krakatoa: "The Sound So Loud That It Circled the Earth Four Times."

• Advertisement

Earth's shifting crust linked to climate change. Volcano eruptions related.
    Could you share that link?

Thanks for that.
    While doing some research, I've noticed that the following books on Volcanos are free on Amazon.com Kindle:

Earthquakes, Tsunamis and Nuclear Risks: Prediction and Assessment Beyond the Fukushima Accident

Observing the Volcano World: Volcano Crisis Communication (Advances in Volcanology)

They are published by Springer which has a solid reputation.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,129 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

Dragging old thread up, La Soufrière in St. Vincent is on immenent eruption alert, island is being evacuated. Apparently its a mess as there's not enough transport for the population as we speak

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,129 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

Dragging old thread up, La Soufrière in St. Vincent is on immenent eruption alert, island is being evacuated. Apparently its a mess as there's not enough transport for the population as we speak

Annd its erupted

https://twitter.com/uwiseismic/status/1380509058776580104

I am uncertain about the mineral composition of this eruption. High silica eruptions can be explosive. As opposed to low silica content volcanoes as found in Hawaii.

Yes, a large explosion thus morning. Power gone in the island. Wind direction has affected neighbouring countries and in time parts of South America. Some neighbouring countries already advised staying indoors amid poor air quality

Two words says it all.

La Palma.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,695 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

live here, was watching earlier when it was more spectacular but still..

Volcanoes are a part of our ever changing geology. Sometimes people build in areas at risk and then suffer the consequences.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,649 ✭✭✭greedygoblin

Mt. Aso in Japan is one of those active ones at the moment.

• Advertisement

Free online edX has many grand classes.

Advertisement