Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

23-01-2020, 19:29   #1081
UrbanSprawl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pighead View Post
UrbanSprawl i love you but you're breaking my heart. I was just trying to occupy the forum with original ideas. Our war is nearly over now. Are you ready for the healing?
Indeed bring it on ..attacking the post not the poster.
Thanks from:
Advertisement
26-01-2020, 10:35   #1082
sweetie

New Wire album 'mind hive' sounds great on first listen
26-01-2020, 23:15   #1083
Arghus

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetie View Post
New Wire album 'mind hive' sounds great on first listen
Listening to it now myself. It's a bit toothless in places to my ears and the guitars are strangely tame - they crunch but seem to be muted or mixed weirdly on some songs - but there's some good stuff here too. Nice use of electronics to add to the soundscapey vibe on a few of the quieter and I would say better songs.

Easily one of the most underrated bands of all time.
Thanks from:
28-01-2020, 22:54   #1084
Acosta

Quote:
Originally Posted by divide_by_zero View Post
...And You Will Know Us by the Trail of Dead's new album X: The Godless Void and Other Stories is great. Worth a listen if you want to listen to something that isn't David Keenan/Kennedy today
Big fan but can't warm to it at all.

New Wolf Parade album Thin Mind, is out. Enjoying it so far after a couple of listens
01-02-2020, 19:08   #1085
Arghus

There's a new album by Destroyer out, Have We Met. One of those bands I meant to listen to down through the years, but struggled to get into. They always felt a bit too mannered, or arch to me.

I feel a bit of the same thing after a few listens through this album: the vocal style is an acquired taste. But, there are a few tunes on here I like. Very synth heavy, but it's done largely in a pretty tasteful way and the songwriting is on point for at least 60% of the time.

Thanks from:
Advertisement
03-02-2020, 21:31   #1086
Granadino

Not a new album, but a new album for me, which I think lives up to the hype. Shlagenheim. I was very disappointed after a while with the likes of Idles, Fontaines, Murder Capital. Not that they're bad, just I read so much about them, the curiosity wore off after a while. Black Midi are doing it for me at the moment...
04-02-2020, 22:53   #1087
UrbanSprawl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Granadino View Post
Not a new album, but a new album for me, which I think lives up to the hype. Shlagenheim. I was very disappointed after a while with the likes of Idles, Fontaines, Murder Capital. Not that they're bad, just I read so much about them, the curiosity wore off after a while. Black Midi are doing it for me at the moment...
The conveyor belt of music consumerism these days ..next!
Murder Capital have potential Idles I would say intriguing tracks initially until u actually see the, listen to them in interviews not much going on intellectually..will have to wait to see can they deliver another album of any note.
05-02-2020, 09:31   #1088
flasher0030

Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanSprawl View Post
The conveyor belt of music consumerism these days ..next!
Murder Capital have potential Idles I would say intriguing tracks initially until u actually see the, listen to them in interviews not much going on intellectually..will have to wait to see can they deliver another album of any note.
Good point. For me anyway, there are albums that growers. Don’t seem much at first, but riffs, samples, melodies that just click after listening to them several times. They obviously suffer from what you refer to as the conveyor belt of music consumerism. I don’t know much about Fontaines DC (listened to them a bit. I’m sure I’ll get back into it again). Saw Idles live and loved it. But I can’t have a bad word said about Murder Capital. Initially too I wasn’t overly impressed. Didn’t think there was much substance to it. But after few listens, it just came together. Now I listen to it every day, and look forward to it every time. Feeling Fades is just majestic.

(No connection to the band, by the way!!!!)
05-02-2020, 10:44   #1089
Granadino

Quote:
Originally Posted by flasher0030 View Post
Good point. For me anyway, there are albums that growers. Don’t seem much at first, but riffs, samples, melodies that just click after listening to them several times. They obviously suffer from what you refer to as the conveyor belt of music consumerism. I don’t know much about Fontaines DC (listened to them a bit. I’m sure I’ll get back into it again). Saw Idles live and loved it. But I can’t have a bad word said about Murder Capital. Initially too I wasn’t overly impressed. Didn’t think there was much substance to it. But after few listens, it just came together. Now I listen to it every day, and look forward to it every time. Feeling Fades is just majestic.

(No connection to the band, by the way!!!!)
Just can't get into them. They remind of a 5th year school band trying to be edgy.
Advertisement
05-02-2020, 11:06   #1090
flasher0030

Quote:
Originally Posted by Granadino View Post
Just can't get into them. They remind of a 5th year school band trying to be edgy.

Each to their own, I guess. Different tastes.
05-02-2020, 12:08   #1091
sweetie

took me a while but beginning to get my head around Schlagenheim, same thing with seeing them live
05-02-2020, 14:51   #1092
Gonzovision
fIN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arghus View Post
There's a new album by Destroyer out, Have We Met. One of those bands I meant to listen to down through the years, but struggled to get into. They always felt a bit too mannered, or arch to me.

I feel a bit of the same thing after a few listens through this album: the vocal style is an acquired taste. But, there are a few tunes on here I like. Very synth heavy, but it's done largely in a pretty tasteful way and the songwriting is on point for at least 60% of the time.

I'm enjoying this one quite a bit. I actually had listened to Kaputt quite a bit a few years ago, but completely fell off my radar. I can imagine some people would bounce right off the vocal style. Very distinctive and worth the perseverance from my point of view.
05-02-2020, 15:53   #1093
peteeeed

A band that's under the radar a bit but their new album is out this Friday and they are fantastic, from a small town in Holland

05-02-2020, 18:47   #1094
thomasm

Came across this a couple of weeks ago and I love it, Panorama by La Dispute

https://youtu.be/3YAkc-ucWlI
05-02-2020, 19:36   #1095
Arghus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gonzovision View Post
I'm enjoying this one quite a bit. I actually had listened to Kaputt quite a bit a few years ago, but completely fell off my radar. I can imagine some people would bounce right off the vocal style. Very distinctive and worth the perseverance from my point of view.
I listened to this album a lot over the last few days. The songs that work, work really well. The first half of the record is pretty strong, but there's some really lifeless, pointless stuff elsewhere; almost to the point of it being muzack. Half a really great album, let down by it's other half, IMO.

Though I decided to listen to Destroyer's Rubies today, because it seems to be maybe their best regarded album? Feels like there's more meat in it, to be honest. Comes across as a cross between Dylan and Neil Young.

Of course, it being an album from the mid noughties there isn't a note from a synth in it anywhere. I wonder how a lot of contemporary music will sound to people in ten or fifteen years. Not that I hate it, but synths and the like are being fairly lashed into everything these days.

Last edited by Arghus; 05-02-2020 at 19:42.

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion