Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What's your least favorite word or phrase?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,563 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

Candie wrote: »
    Moist is just about as ugly a word as a word can be, but it has serious competition in the word gusset.

I, personally, think “context” is important with words like that, C. I mean, gusset isn’t great at the best of times but it’s really more down to how it’s used.

I mean, take the word damp, for example. It’s a, normal enough, word. You could say something like ‘this bench is damp’ or ‘these clothes are still damp’. Ordinary, like.

But, one day, someone puts a use to it that just stops you in your tracks and sends a shiver down your spine. That is happened to me when I was getting, you know, “intimate” with a Wexford lass.

Things were progressing nicely until she whispered in her, throaty, Wexford drawl ‘oh, that has gotten me damp’.

Instant horn killer. But, don’t fret, like Lazarus he rose again and, after a bit of “composure” was regained, the job was done but, still, it really ruined the word for me. Ruined it.

“It is not blood that makes you Irish but a willingness to be part of the Irish nation” - Thomas Davis

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,185 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

I don't understand what goes through the mind of someone who finds either sexual arousal or delicious cake to be so off-putting.

• Registered Users Posts: 507 ✭✭✭thebronze14

Staycation
    Pottering
    Using 'super' as a verb
    Actually any Americanisms that have crept in
    Awesome
    Online rowing if someone is 'woke' or a 'snowflake' etc

I'll think of more later!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭.anon.

Things were progressing nicely until she whispered in her, throaty, Wexford drawl ‘oh, that has gotten me damp’.

She was talking about her clunge, wasn't she? :(

• Registered Users Posts: 507 ✭✭✭thebronze14

iamwhoiam wrote: »
    I absolutely hate the phrase “ We are pregnant “ spoken by a man
    No , she is pregnant he is expecting a baby .

I have literally never heard any man say that

Overuse of the word literally is very annoying

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭hurleronditch

Speaking “to” something. What’s wrong with about?

• Registered Users Posts: 601 ✭✭✭Snails pace

If someone uses the word "like" in every sentence and the phrase "reaching out"

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,185 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Speaking “to” something. What’s wrong with about?

They have different meanings?

.anon. wrote: »
    She was talking about her clunge, wasn't she? :(

Yep. Lot of bush too, wasn’t prepared for that but it was very late in the “game” and I’d already weathered one speed bump. Was all good fun.

“It is not blood that makes you Irish but a willingness to be part of the Irish nation” - Thomas Davis

• Registered Users Posts: 748 ✭✭✭EmptyTree

New normal

It's not new anymore and it certainly isn't normal

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Edgware

On television no one goes to a restaurant. It has to be that " new Italian place"

• Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Edgware

Seamai wrote: »
    Award winning.

I've often seen it used about restaurants or one of their dishes with nothing to back it up. I'm often tempted to see this award.
    Usually awarded by the food critic of the local free rag in the Best Boiled Egg category

• Registered Users Posts: 15,842 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Edgware wrote: »
    Usually awarded by the food critic of the local free rag in the Best Boiled Egg category

Multi Award Winning... local rag plus a mention in local free ads paper.

Interior design bullshıttery, no rooms in a house...they're all "spaces".

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,098 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Interior design bullshıttery, no rooms in a house...they're all "spaces".
    Yes! Oh that one gives me itchy teeth alright.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,907 ✭✭✭Stevieluvsye

Discharge is another beaut of a word

Discharge is another beaut of a word

Yes, I agree.

Especially as we are hear it more and more in relation to America police officers “discharging” their weapons at peaceful demonstrations over there.

It has become such an ugly word.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,539 ✭✭✭Nothing surprises me now

At this moment in time...you mean Now?

Also as someone else mentioned, Spag Bol awful!!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 253 ✭✭Xtrail14

Moist pubs

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,913 ✭✭✭v638sg7k1a92bx

Literally

When most of them time it’s used, particularly on Internet forums, it’s not literal usually the exact opposite of literal.

“You literally said ... and now you’re denying it”

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,350 ✭✭✭Rasputin11

You got this or I've got this

• Registered Users Posts: 2,013 ✭✭✭waynescales1

Use of the word “positive” as a noun, and any phrase derived therefrom, i.e. “we need to take the positives from this”.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,016 ✭✭✭Ultrflat

C0k Goblin

• Registered Users Posts: 2,053 ✭✭✭tuisginideach

‘Passed’ or not quite so bad ‘passed away’ - what’s wrong with ‘died’????

• Registered Users Posts: 3,858 ✭✭✭Church on Tuesday

Actually everytime i see a "Mum & Baby doing well" post on social media i get a little bit angry. No idea why

U OK hun? xoxoxoxoxoxoxo

And yes, the above as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,464 ✭✭✭✭Deja Boo

"Thanks for sharing."

...something inherently condescending there.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,402 ✭✭✭McGinniesta

I find “Karen” to be problematic. It’s a word that insinuates all middle aged women who stand up for themselves or demand decent customer service are shrill self-absorbed brats.

I’ve heard people snickering and calling me a “Karen” or mimic me asking to see a supervisor in Penney’s and it’s incredibly insulting! They don’t know what’s going on in my life!

I find g&&bag to be far more appropriate.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,402 ✭✭✭McGinniesta

"Homeless Activist" , normally a clown wandering about wearing a high viz jacket .

And they usually have a house.

"Homeless Activist" , normally a clown wandering about wearing a high viz jacket .

"Activist" in general.
    Once they were notables like Ghandi, Martin Luther King, Rosa Parks etc.
    Now they're a shouty assortment of crusties, third wave feminists with purple hair and the unemployable.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,250 ✭✭✭Seamai

WEBINAR

Advertisement