Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Sore, stiff muscles

• 20-02-2020 3:49pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,405 ✭✭✭

Hi
    I did quite a hard work out a few days ago, I go to the gym usually a few times a week but this time I really pushed myself. I did about 100 lunges, a load of squats, planking and lifting weights.
    The next day I was understandably in a bit of pain but nothing unusual but this normally lessens the following day.
    Yesterday and today my muscles are incredibly stiff, I can hardly sit down or walk up or down the stairs as my leg muscles are so stiff and painful.

Is there anyway I can ease the stiffness and pain over the next 12 hours or so? I have allot on tomorrow and need my muscles to be in better condition.

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,646 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

Keep moving. A brisk walk will get blood flowing to the legs. Won't fix them outright but will aid recovery and help feel better and looser. Even a handful few bodyweight squats and lunges (yeah, the things that hurt you) will help loosen things up.

If you have access to a foam roller and/or rolling ball, working on the quads and glutes will provide some relief too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,405 ✭✭✭Airyfairy12

Keep moving. A brisk walk will get blood flowing to the legs. Won't fix them outright but will aid recovery and help feel better and looser. Even a handful few bodyweight squats and lunges (yeah, the things that hurt you) will help loosen things up.

If you have access to a foam roller and/or rolling ball, working on the quads and glutes will provide some relief too.

Great, thanks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,889 ✭✭✭SozBbz

Bath with epsom salts?

Also keep hydrated.

SozBbz wrote: »
    Bath with epsom salts?

Also keep hydrated.

Thank you, ill try a bath tonight, hadnt thought of that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,458 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

I'd echo what the others have said -
    Go for a walk and/or do some light movements, do some stretching and self-myofascial release, drink plenty of water, and get a good sleep tonight.

• Advertisement

I'd echo what the others have said -
    Go for a walk and/or do some light movements, do some stretching and self-myofascial release, drink plenty of water, and get a good sleep tonight.

Thanks I was massaging them with a muscle gel but it didnt do much, ill try the light exercising and stretching, just hope its sorted by tomorrow.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,840 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

DOMS is what you have. Sometimes I miss them. Sitting on the toilet is always a memorable occasion! Other memorable things are getting out of bed, walking up stairs, walking down the stairs, and if you’ve stomach muscle soreness, coughing is the biggest bitch of all.
    Can’t say I’ve ever found a cure

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,889 ✭✭✭SozBbz

Dtp1979 wrote: »
    DOMS is what you have. Sometimes I miss them. Sitting on the toilet is always a memorable occasion! Other memorable things are getting out of bed, walking up stairs, walking down the stairs, and if you’ve stomach muscle soreness, coughing is the biggest bitch of all.
    Can’t say I’ve ever found a cure

Yeah they just take time.

For me I find them worst at 48 hours post exercise, and then gone by 72 hours.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 258 ✭✭Wanderer19

Get a massage. If you work out in a regular basis you should get a massage on a regular basis. Stretching/flexibility sessions will also help.

Hi
    I did quite a hard work out a few days ago, I go to the gym usually a few times a week but this time I really pushed myself. I did about 100 lunges, a load of squats, planking and lifting weights.
    The next day I was understandably in a bit of pain but nothing unusual but this normally lessens the following day.
    Yesterday and today my muscles are incredibly stiff, I can hardly sit down or walk up or down the stairs as my leg muscles are so stiff and painful.

Is there anyway I can ease the stiffness and pain over the next 12 hours or so? I have allot on tomorrow and need my muscles to be in better condition.

Thanks.

Thanks everyone. Yes I definitely have Doms. I took everyones advice, did some exercises and stretches, took a bath and it did help. Still a bit sore but its fine. Thanks again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10 smeraduibhe

Thank you, ill try a bath tonight, hadnt thought of that.
    I found that a hot bath with epsom salts is really good especially if you fill it up while you're in the bath. Sprinkle the salts in a few inches of water before you step into it and then run the taps...you'll be able to tolerate the hot water better than if you step into the bath after it's full. Worked a treat and I felt refreshed the next morning....and hydrate!
    Hope it helps

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,029 ✭✭✭SusieBlue

I've found deep heat spray and heat patches to be very helpful. A brisk walk followed by foam rolling, an epsom salts bath & deep heat/heat patches for a few hours after should have you feeling a lot better.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,614 ✭✭✭atilladehun

I agree with everything above.

I'd like to add, if it's your thing and you're over age, getting drunk sometimes helps. Nothing too crazy but enough.

Advertisement